Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 695369 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Dawson Creek, Canada

#439825 May 11, 2013
AHHHHH ... now this a GREAT day for my horoscope ... or NOT!

:)
Human Being

Breaux Bridge, LA

#439826 May 11, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't care who used the word Christian first.
As occurred since religion began, it was simply the cause of more in-fighting among those who bragged of knowing the one and only supposed truth.
June VanDerMark

"Just the facts Ma'am. Just the facts.", Joe Friday. DRAGNET.

There are two types of religious people. Mary and Martha. Some get more out of listening, others out of doing. And the one that is doing, usually complains about the other one, not doing enough.
Just Sayin

Clarksville, TN

#439827 May 11, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You are saying, in this case, "human afflictions" equate to alcoholics whom are drunkards. That every priest God called to the priesthood, God knew they would all become drunkards.
Logic says, since God knows when He calls a person, that person will become a drunkard, He also knows when He calls a person to the priesthood that person will not become a drunkard.
Any idea why He favors those He knows will become drunkards????!!!
Logic says you are so full of sh!t.
Just Sayin

Clarksville, TN

#439828 May 11, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You are forgetting one thing...the Catechism I was taught some 75 years ago, is not the same being taught today..
Which clearly says it never was based on Scripture...because if it was, it would not change its teaching, since the Word of God does not change...
Good God, that means you are about 100 years old. You can't even remember what you ate for breakfast this morning.
truth

Perth, Australia

#439829 May 11, 2013
heart is biological o'clock within alive person animals too..
now
to fill love=trans
yep
transport train
ding dong ding dong chu chu..=speed as thousand thousand=sound house end =near port stop ding dong
monday
m on day
m=13 1+3=3 13=31
psalm 31 keep me free from trap
see what i see you can find
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
trap part
depart parth
see train words
Human Being

Breaux Bridge, LA

#439830 May 11, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
What a lot of preachy slop!
June VanDerMark:

Always a good fall-back opinion.

You seem to do a lot of preaching to the religious people on this thread yourself.

So tell me, "Why is God an Atheist", in your opinion?
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#439831 May 11, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Arrogance in devout religious believers often motivates them to the certainty that they own the one and only truth.
As you believe you have control over the words in your bibles, be careful that the words don't wind your minds up comparable to pretzels.
You might not be as wise as you perceive is the case.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>
Religious Insanity in America: The Official Nineteenth-Century Theory
Throughout much of the nineteenth century, psychiatrists and ordinary citizens agreed that one of the chief causes of mental illness was religious excitement.
Modern day "suicides" linked directly to political non-religious "materalistic liberalism" has resulted in over 8 times the mental illness suicide rate, compared to those with religious affilication, spiritual convictions and person faith in Gods divine Providence..... It is "no wonder" that in the United States today liberalism is considered to be a "Mental disorder"!!
Just Sayin

Clarksville, TN

#439832 May 11, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
History tells us god/men and goddesses from the past who practiced the same customs/traditions/elements that christianity adopted for itself were mostly powerful men/women in their communities.
Jesus was advanced forward by a small group of men, ONLY long after he supposedly died, yet scriptures claim he was very well known by almost everyone in Judea.
The catholic fathers never saw any writings about this man Jesus, until 160-175 AD.
Jesus only became famous long after he supposedly died. Why? Because the writers could write anything they wanted about this man because being dead he couldn't refute any tall story they wrote about him.
The first 3 centuries christianity was all over the map. Christian cults popped up everywhere because there was no early plan of operation, or rules and regulations. Early christians never believed that Christ actually lived as a human. They thought of him as a spirit only. Stories created and handed down from generation to generation.
The early christian fathers were told by Constantine just pick one of the christian beliefs and run with it. So they did, and family-hand-me-down traditional indoctrination has carried it on to today.
Sorry but you have been misinformed in a big way. Where do you get your research from?

Also, if you don't believe that Jesus was the Son of God, what are you doing wasting so much time talking about Him?
Michael

Canada

#439833 May 11, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Catholics and Protestants dis all the gods in other religions as false.
However, because Catholics and Protestants believe in the same image of a god, they can't possibly dis the god as false ... so they resort to dissing each other's beliefs "concerning the god" as false.
:)
Corinthians 14:33 "God is not the author of confusion.

......yet never has a book proved more confusion tha the bible.

Thousands of christian deniominations and sects ALL using the same "INSPIRED SCRIPTURES" to prove each of their own conflicting doctrines.

Today, why do so many trained theologens differ with each other over meanings in the bible?

....Why do highly educated language translators disagree over Greek and Hebrew meanings in the bible.

WHY SO MUCH CONFUSION!!

Shouldn't a document claimed by all these people that was divinely inspired by an omniscient deity be crystal clear to all of them?

BUSTED!
Michael

Canada

#439834 May 11, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry but you have been misinformed in a big way. Where do you get your research from?
Also, if you don't believe that Jesus was the Son of God, what are you doing wasting so much time talking about Him?
What misinformation are you speaking about?

Dan

Omaha, NE

#439835 May 11, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You are saying, in this case, "human afflictions" equate to alcoholics whom are drunkards. That every priest God called to the priesthood, God knew they would all become drunkards.
Logic says, since God knows when He calls a person, that person will become a drunkard, He also knows when He calls a person to the priesthood that person will not become a drunkard.
Any idea why He favors those He knows will become drunkards????!!!
Every priest is an alcoholic?
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439836 May 11, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
AMEN!
THE APOSTLE PAUL WROTE
Eph 5:15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
Eph 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
Eph 5:17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Eph 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Eph 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
Eph 5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
Do you know how many times I have heard "Jesus drank wine."
Even among Christian that I have sat next to in church.
They say they read the Bible,
The bible says No drunks will enter the Kingdom of God.
I guess they don't put that together with what God says about drinking in the O.T.

To use Our Lord and Savior, as their example to drink irks me to no end.

I see your wife is back on its great to see her posts.
she has so much wisdom.
Just Sayin

Clarksville, TN

#439837 May 11, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
What misinformation are you speaking about?
your entire post was tossed word salad. Almost as bad as June's are.
Human Being

Breaux Bridge, LA

#439838 May 11, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Theologians made it up as they went along their paths of ignorance, bragging all the while about their own knowledge of future events.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>
The English noun "Gnosticism"The term "Gnosticism" does not appear in ancient sources
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism#The_t ...
June:

Gnosticism has been around a long time, just as T-Tauri type stars. Just because English hasn't been around doesn't negate Gnosticism's existence.
Michael

Canada

#439839 May 11, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Modern day "suicides" linked directly to political non-religious "materalistic liberalism" has resulted in over 8 times the mental illness suicide rate, compared to those with religious affilication, spiritual convictions and person faith in Gods divine Providence..... It is "no wonder" that in the United States today liberalism is considered to be a "Mental disorder"!!
I can't speak for anyone but suicide is not in my forte. Just so you know.

...Why are roman catholic priests dying of AIDS related illnesses 4 times the national rate of men? Isn't this the same catholic church that condemns homosexuality as a grave sin?

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story...

http://kcsweb.kcstar.com/projects/priests/

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread834...

http://www.dignityusa.org/content/priests-aid...
Michael

Canada

#439840 May 11, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June VanDerMark:
Always a good fall-back opinion.
You seem to do a lot of preaching to the religious people on this thread yourself.
So tell me, "Why is God an Atheist", in your opinion?
What religion is God? God has no religion..........religions are all man made.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#439841 May 11, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know how many times I have heard "Jesus drank wine."
Even among Christian that I have sat next to in church.
They say they read the Bible,
The bible says No drunks will enter the Kingdom of God.
I guess they don't put that together with what God says about drinking in the O.T.
I see your wife is back on its great to see her posts.
she has so much wisdom.
Here's what your favorite website says;

Question: "What does the Bible say about drinking alcohol / wine? Is it a sin for a Christian to drink alcohol / wine?"

Answer: Scripture has much to say regarding the drinking of alcohol (Leviticus 10:9; Numbers 6:3; Deuteronomy 29:6; Judges 13:4, 7, 14; Proverbs 20:1; 31:4; Isaiah 5:11, 22; 24:9; 28:7; 29:9; 56:12). However, Scripture does not necessarily forbid a Christian from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. In fact, some Scriptures discuss alcohol in positive terms. Ecclesiastes 9:7 instructs,“Drink your wine with a merry heart.” Psalm 104:14-15 states that God gives wine “that makes glad the heart of men.” Amos 9:14 discusses drinking wine from your own vineyard as a sign of God’s blessing. Isaiah 55:1 encourages,“Yes, come buy wine and milk…”

What God commands Christians regarding alcohol is to avoid drunkenness (Ephesians 5:18). The Bible condemns drunkenness and its effects (Proverbs 23:29-35). Christians are also commanded to not allow their bodies to be “mastered” by anything (1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19). Drinking alcohol in excess is undeniably addictive. Scripture also forbids a Christian from doing anything that might offend other Christians or encourage them to sin against their conscience (1 Corinthians 8:9-13). In light of these principles, it would be extremely difficult for any Christian to say he is drinking alcohol in excess to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

Jesus changed water into wine. It even seems that Jesus drank wine on occasion (John 2:1-11; Matthew 26:29). In New Testament times, the water was not very clean. Without modern sanitation, the water was often filled with bacteria, viruses, and all kinds of contaminants. The same is true in many third-world countries today. As a result, people often drank wine (or grape juice) because it was far less likely to be contaminated. In 1 Timothy 5:23, Paul was instructing Timothy to stop drinking the water (which was probably causing his stomach problems) and instead drink wine. In that day, wine was fermented (containing alcohol), but not necessarily to the degree it is today. It is incorrect to say that it was grape juice, but it is also incorrect to say that it was the same thing as the wine commonly used today. Again, Scripture does not forbid Christians from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. Alcohol is not, in and of itself, tainted by sin. It is drunkenness and addiction to alcohol that a Christian must absolutely refrain from (Ephesians 5:18; 1 Corinthians 6:12).

Alcohol, consumed in small quantities, is neither harmful nor addictive. In fact, some doctors advocate drinking small amounts of red wine for its health benefits, especially for the heart. Consumption of small quantities of alcohol is a matter of Christian freedom. Drunkenness and addiction are sin. However, due to the biblical concerns regarding alcohol and its effects, due to the easy temptation to consume alcohol in excess, and due to the possibility of causing offense and/or stumbling of others, it is often best for a Christian to abstain from drinking alcohol.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/sin-alcohol.html#...

LTM, you are now stuck with the bible AND your favorite website saying you're wrong.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#439842 May 11, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>
Religious Insanity in America: The Official Nineteenth-Century Theory
The Official Nineteenth-Century ----THEORY!!!!

This reference of yours June, is the just another one of the same old "cock-n-bull" assortment of anti-Catholic/Christian references that you "dig up" in order to "appease your vindictive arragonce and hostility against Jesus Christ and His One True Catholic Church.---- THEORY, OPINION, EDITORIALIZING, VIEW, JUDGEMENT, SENTIMENT, PERSONAL FEELING, SUPPOSITION,--- its ALL the same!!
The fact is that you, June, just "compile" and gather a "cherry picked" selection of personal opinionate authors and writers that parallel your disgruntled opinion of Jesus Christs One True Catholic Church, and then "throw it out" and see if something sticks!!---Just editiorializing from one posted comment to another!! You, June, can believe what you want!!! I/We as Catholics on this forum as well as those 1.168+ billion Catholics around the world will CONTINUE to adhere, abide, worship and remain with the TRUTH of Jesus Christ and over 2000 years of our Lords One TRUE Apstolic Catholic Church. You, my friend--"can do what you want"!!!
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#439843 May 11, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
More inconvenient truth from LTM's favorite website...

Question: "Did Jesus change the water into wine or grape juice?"

Answer: John chapter 2 records Jesus performing a miracle at a wedding in Cana of Galilee. At the wedding, the hosts ran out of wine. Jesus' mother, Mary, asks Jesus to intervene, and He does so, reluctantly. Jesus has the servants bring six jars filled with water and then instructs the servants to give it to the overseer of the celebration. The water miraculously turns into wine, and the overseer declares that it was the best wine he had ever tasted. In this account, Jesus performed an amazing miracle, actually altering the molecular composition of the water, changing it into wine. The point of the account is summarized in John 2:11, "He thus revealed His glory, and His disciples put their faith in Him." Usually, though, when this passage is studied, a side issue becomes the main issue. Did Jesus transform the water into wine (fermented, alcoholic) or into grape juice (non-alcoholic)?

Throughout the passage, the Greek word translated "wine" is oinos, which was the common Greek word for normal wine, wine that was fermented/alcoholic. The Greek word for the wine Jesus created is the same word for the wine the wedding feast ran out of. The Greek word for the wine Jesus created is also the same word that is used in Ephesians 5:18, "...do not get drunk on wine..." Obviously, getting drunk from drinking wine requires the presence of alcohol. Everything, from the context of a wedding feast, to the usage of oinos in 1st century Greek literature (in the New Testament and outside the New Testament), argues for the wine that Jesus created to be normal, ordinary wine, containing alcohol. There is simply no solid historical, cultural, exegetical, contextual, or lexical reason to understand it to have been grape juice.
Those who oppose the drinking of alcohol, in any quantity, argue that Jesus would not have turned the water into wine, as He would have been promoting the consumption of a substance that is tainted by sin. In this understanding, alcohol itself is inherently sinful, and consumption of alcohol in any quantity is sin. That is not a biblical understanding, however. Some Scriptures discuss alcohol in positive terms. Ecclesiastes 9:7 instructs,“Drink your wine with a merry heart.” Psalm 104:14-15 states that God gives wine “that makes glad the heart of men.” Amos 9:14 discusses drinking wine from your own vineyard as a sign of God’s blessing. Isaiah 55:1 encourages,“Yes, come buy wine and milk…” From these and other Scriptures, it is clear that alcohol itself is not inherently sinful. Rather, it is the abuse of alcohol, drunkenness and/or addiction, that is sinful (Ephesians 5:18; Proverbs 23:29-35; 1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19). Therefore, it would not have been a sin for Jesus to create a drink that contained alcohol.

cont.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#439844 May 11, 2013
cont. inconvenient truth for LTM

A second, related argument is that by creating alcoholic wine, Jesus would have been promoting drunkenness, which the Bible clear identifies as sinful. This is not a valid argument. Was Jesus promoting gluttony when He multiplied the fishes and loaves far beyond what the people needed? Of course not. Creating a substance that can be abused does not make one responsible when another person foolishly chooses to abuse it. Jesus creating alcoholic wine was in no sense encouraging drunkenness.
The belief that Jesus created alcoholic wine is definitely more in agreement with the context and the definition/usage of oinos. The primary reasons for interpreting it as grape juice, that alcohol is inherently sinful or that the creation of alcohol would have been encouraging drunkenness, are unbiblical and invalid. There is simply no good biblical reason to understand John 2 as anything other than Jesus performing an amazing miracle by turning water into real wine. Is drunkenness sinful? Absolutely! Is addiction sinful? Definitely. Would Jesus turning the water into alcoholic wine in any way violate God's standards regarding the consumption of alcohol? Absolutely not!

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-water-wine....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Feb 15 Eyes on Christ 10,730
News Pope 'loves China', Vatican official says on tr... (Aug '17) Feb 11 C Kersey 3
News Vatican mulls putting end to limbo (Apr '07) Feb 6 Leary 43
News Vatican nixes former Irish president from Women... Feb 2 Mullah Pres Elect... 1
News Pope accepts resignation of auxiliary bishop of... Feb 2 Pope MS USA News 6
News Faith Matters: Top local faith stories for 2017 Jan 21 question 2
News Love in the air: Pope marries couple on papal p... Jan '18 Pardon Pard 1
More from around the web