Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 682005 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439719 May 10, 2013
REASON NINE IS THAT THE LORD JESUS CHRIST WOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN GLORY FROM MAKING DRUNK PEOPLE DRUNKER. Verse 11 is most important when it states that, by this miracle, Jesus “manifested forth his glory.” Verse 10 indicates that the people had drunk quite a bit of whatever kind of wine they were drinking. If it had been alcoholic, they would have been intoxicated, or nearly so. Had Christ made alcoholic wine, He would have made drunk people drunker, or almost-drunk people completely drunk! Such a deed would certainly not have manifested any glory to Him!

THE TENTH REASON IS THAT MAKING DRUNK PEOPLE DRUNKER WOULD NOT HAVE CAUSED HIS DISCIPLES TO BELIEVE MORE STRONGLY ON HIM, yet verse 11 says that, as a result of what He did in turning the water into wine,“his disciples believed on him.” Jn. 1:41 shows that they had already believed on Him as Messiah; this was a deepening of their faith and a proof that they had not been wrong. Would making drunk people drunker inspire such faith? The opposite would be likely! They were not looking for a Messiah who would pass out free booze! Thus, because of the description of this miracle and its result, we cannot conclude otherwise than that this wine was non-alcoholic.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439720 May 10, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
this is from whom you claim to be the first Pope Dan from the Bible
(1 Peter 2:9)
“Because of our salvation through faith in Christ we have become sons, the adopted sons of the King. As such we are members of the King’s family, and the orders that went out to the kings and priests apply to us. We are not to drink so that we will have clear judgment and discernment as God’s representatives in this world.
‘As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.’ Jesus told His disciples (John 20:21b). As Christians we are sent to witness, to teach the people. This is the responsibility of the believer.‘[Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,]*’ the Lord Jesus Christ instructed His disciples (Matthew 28:19). In order to teach we must know the difference between right and wrong.
NOW St. Peter's a big wheel?

Every time we mention him and his primacy in the Early Church, you tell us he's not big deal.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439721 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said you seldom accept the slop your religion serves you. I said you not only accept it...you live by it....
You cannot refute his words as being the absolute truth.......
Sure I can.

We don't worship Mary.

Presto. Refuted.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439722 May 10, 2013
LTM wrote:
REASON NINE IS THAT THE LORD JESUS CHRIST WOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN GLORY FROM MAKING DRUNK PEOPLE DRUNKER. Verse 11 is most important when it states that, by this miracle, Jesus “manifested forth his glory.” Verse 10 indicates that the people had drunk quite a bit of whatever kind of wine they were drinking. If it had been alcoholic, they would have been intoxicated, or nearly so. Had Christ made alcoholic wine, He would have made drunk people drunker, or almost-drunk people completely drunk! Such a deed would certainly not have manifested any glory to Him!
THE TENTH REASON IS THAT MAKING DRUNK PEOPLE DRUNKER WOULD NOT HAVE CAUSED HIS DISCIPLES TO BELIEVE MORE STRONGLY ON HIM, yet verse 11 says that, as a result of what He did in turning the water into wine,“his disciples believed on him.” Jn. 1:41 shows that they had already believed on Him as Messiah; this was a deepening of their faith and a proof that they had not been wrong. Would making drunk people drunker inspire such faith? The opposite would be likely! They were not looking for a Messiah who would pass out free booze! Thus, because of the description of this miracle and its result, we cannot conclude otherwise than that this wine was non-alcoholic.
All contradicted by the fact that Christ did partake of wine and He changed the water into wine at Cana.

I'm not sure what imbecile is responsible for this paste-o-rama, since you didn't cite it, but we don't "believe more strongly ON Him" or anyone or anything. You believe IN them or that, not "ON" them or that.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#439723 May 10, 2013
699
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. Good call. How on earth did I miss your point?
Wine nor any other alcoholic beverage isn't available anywhere but Mass, and the priest has no way to get any booze because they're locked up in the rectory until Mass time and sent back there immediately afterward.
Throw the Vatican an e-mail on that. You're a problem solver, Ox.
This really comes to me as a surprise. I have always been taught priests do not partake in other alcoholic beverages other than the wine at mass!!!! And I have never seen one do so...ever..

The additional alcoholic beverages adds "fuel to the fire". An alcoholic is a drunkard...

How do you feel when God calls you to be a priest or Brother?

There are many different ways God calls one to be a priest or Brother. Often it is in the secret recesses of your heart that you hear the Lord call you to Himself through the priesthood or brotherhood. This is why we must cultivate silence in our lives, so that we might hear the Divine Savior speak our name.

There is something wrong with this picture. Appreciate your help...

A. God calls people to the priesthood, knowing full well that the guy will become a drunkard???

B. God doesn't know a guy will become a drunkard?

C. The guy is lying...God never called him?????

D. The guy knows the Catholic church is a haven for pedophiles, he is one, so he lies and gets in the "hen house".

Which is it??
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439724 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
699
<quoted text>
This really comes to me as a surprise. I have always been taught priests do not partake in other alcoholic beverages other than the wine at mass!!!! And I have never seen one do so...ever..
The additional alcoholic beverages adds "fuel to the fire". An alcoholic is a drunkard...
How do you feel when God calls you to be a priest or Brother?
There are many different ways God calls one to be a priest or Brother. Often it is in the secret recesses of your heart that you hear the Lord call you to Himself through the priesthood or brotherhood. This is why we must cultivate silence in our lives, so that we might hear the Divine Savior speak our name.
There is something wrong with this picture. Appreciate your help...
A. God calls people to the priesthood, knowing full well that the guy will become a drunkard???
B. God doesn't know a guy will become a drunkard?
C. The guy is lying...God never called him?????
D. The guy knows the Catholic church is a haven for pedophiles, he is one, so he lies and gets in the "hen house".
Which is it??
God calls men to the priesthood. True.

Substitute "elder", "minister", "preacher" for the priest here. No man is perfect, so I don't know why the feigned surprise here.

This is your "thoughtful question"?

Dan

Omaha, NE

#439725 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
699
<quoted text>
This really comes to me as a surprise. I have always been taught priests do not partake in other alcoholic beverages other than the wine at mass!!!! And I have never seen one do so...ever..
The additional alcoholic beverages adds "fuel to the fire". An alcoholic is a drunkard...
How do you feel when God calls you to be a priest or Brother?
There are many different ways God calls one to be a priest or Brother. Often it is in the secret recesses of your heart that you hear the Lord call you to Himself through the priesthood or brotherhood. This is why we must cultivate silence in our lives, so that we might hear the Divine Savior speak our name.
There is something wrong with this picture. Appreciate your help...
A. God calls people to the priesthood, knowing full well that the guy will become a drunkard???
B. God doesn't know a guy will become a drunkard?
C. The guy is lying...God never called him?????
D. The guy knows the Catholic church is a haven for pedophiles, he is one, so he lies and gets in the "hen house".
Which is it??
Who taught you that priests don't drink?
Same place you got all your other "information" on Catholic belief and practice, sounds like.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439726 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
699
<quoted text>
This really comes to me as a surprise. I have always been taught priests do not partake in other alcoholic beverages other than the wine at mass!!!! And I have never seen one do so...ever..
The additional alcoholic beverages adds "fuel to the fire". An alcoholic is a drunkard...
How do you feel when God calls you to be a priest or Brother?
There are many different ways God calls one to be a priest or Brother. Often it is in the secret recesses of your heart that you hear the Lord call you to Himself through the priesthood or brotherhood. This is why we must cultivate silence in our lives, so that we might hear the Divine Savior speak our name.
There is something wrong with this picture. Appreciate your help...
A. God calls people to the priesthood, knowing full well that the guy will become a drunkard???
B. God doesn't know a guy will become a drunkard?
C. The guy is lying...God never called him?????
D. The guy knows the Catholic church is a haven for pedophiles, he is one, so he lies and gets in the "hen house".
Which is it??
A, if you need one picked.

God did call him to the priesthood, and He knew that he would suffer with human afflictions.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#439727 May 10, 2013
721
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure I can.
We don't worship Mary.
Presto. Refuted.
As for prayers to Mary, in a book published by the Excelsior Publishing House, New York, 1891, and which book is entitled Glories of Mary and which was approved by the Archbishop of New York, on page 84 we read, "Sinners receive pardon only through the intercession of Mary." In the rosary, Catholics call on our Father some fourteen times and upon Mary some fifty-three times.

I believe the Archbishop....which makes you a teller of falsehoods!!!!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#439728 May 10, 2013
724
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
God calls men to the priesthood. True.
Substitute "elder", "minister", "preacher" for the priest here. No man is perfect, so I don't know why the feigned surprise here.
This is your "thoughtful question"?
I don't recall asking if God calls men to the priesthood...

I do recall asking:

A. God calls people to the priesthood, knowing full well that the guy will become a drunkard???
B. God doesn't know a guy will become a drunkard?
C. The guy is lying...God never called him?????
D. The guy knows the Catholic church is a haven for pedophiles, he is one, so he lies and gets in the "hen house".

Which is it??

Why don't you answer my question?????

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#439729 May 10, 2013
725
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Who taught you that priests don't drink?
Same place you got all your other "information" on Catholic belief and practice, sounds like.
The priest that taught me the Catechism...whom else????
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439730 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
721
<quoted text>
As for prayers to Mary, in a book published by the Excelsior Publishing House, New York, 1891, and which book is entitled Glories of Mary and which was approved by the Archbishop of New York, on page 84 we read, "Sinners receive pardon only through the intercession of Mary." In the rosary, Catholics call on our Father some fourteen times and upon Mary some fifty-three times.
I believe the Archbishop....which makes you a teller of falsehoods!!!!
I like cherrypicked "one-liners" off anonymous Catholic-bashing websites as much as the next guy, but when I want to learn something, I go to the source.

Here's a link to the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It's what they teach-top to bottom.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX....

Find me where they teach that Mary is to be accorded divine worship, or conversely, where anyone BUT God is to be accorded divine worship.

Report back.

We'll leave the light on.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439731 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
NOW St. Peter's a big wheel?
Every time we mention him and his primacy in the Early Church, you tell us he's not big deal.
Dan come on I never said no such thing, I thought you were more intelligent to pull something like that.
I posted scripture to prove to you that Jesus would not have drank ferment wine or give it to other people.

you can't except what is truth because it goes against what your catholic church teaches.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439732 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
721
<quoted text>
As for prayers to Mary, in a book published by the Excelsior Publishing House, New York, 1891, and which book is entitled Glories of Mary and which was approved by the Archbishop of New York, on page 84 we read, "Sinners receive pardon only through the intercession of Mary." In the rosary, Catholics call on our Father some fourteen times and upon Mary some fifty-three times.
I believe the Archbishop....which makes you a teller of falsehoods!!!!
I'm Catholic.

If I DID worship Mary, what reason would I have to tell you otherwise? I certainly tell you about all my other beliefs.

To avoid your disapproval of the belief? You already disapprove of my beliefs.

Think-if just for one second, think.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439733 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
721
<quoted text>
As for prayers to Mary, in a book published by the Excelsior Publishing House, New York, 1891, and which book is entitled Glories of Mary and which was approved by the Archbishop of New York, on page 84 we read, "Sinners receive pardon only through the intercession of Mary." In the rosary, Catholics call on our Father some fourteen times and upon Mary some fifty-three times.
I believe the Archbishop....which makes you a teller of falsehoods!!!!
Um, I'd hope the Rosary mentions Mary multiple times-it's a prayer for her intercession.

How many more moldy oldies from "Anti-Catholicism's Greatest Hits" am I to endure from you all? This is like being in "Groundhog Day".
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439734 May 10, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Dan come on I never said no such thing, I thought you were more intelligent to pull something like that.
I posted scripture to prove to you that Jesus would not have drank ferment wine or give it to other people.
you can't except what is truth because it goes against what your catholic church teaches.
Actually, earlier today I posted scripture where Jesus did drink wine AND gave a whole lot to other people.

You posted a whole lot of drivel from people telling me to not believe what scripture says because they don't like booze.

I'll stick with Jesus on this one. Usually the right call.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439735 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
725
<quoted text>
The priest that taught me the Catechism...whom else????
No one taught you the Catechism, or else you wouldn't ask the questions you ask.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439736 May 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
724
<quoted text>
I don't recall asking if God calls men to the priesthood...
I do recall asking:
A. God calls people to the priesthood, knowing full well that the guy will become a drunkard???
B. God doesn't know a guy will become a drunkard?
C. The guy is lying...God never called him?????
D. The guy knows the Catholic church is a haven for pedophiles, he is one, so he lies and gets in the "hen house".
Which is it??
Why don't you answer my question?????
You stated it.

I said A.

Did you miss it?

A. God calls the guy to the priesthood, knowing he will suffer from human afflictions.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439737 May 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
All contradicted by the fact that Christ did partake of wine and He changed the water into wine at Cana.
I'm not sure what imbecile is responsible for this paste-o-rama, since you didn't cite it, but we don't "believe more strongly ON Him" or anyone or anything. You believe IN them or that, not "ON" them or that.
So you believe Jesus went against His own word. Said one thing and did another.
I believe God Dan, I believe Him.

Jesus did partake of wine! unfermented.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439738 May 10, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
So you believe Jesus went against His own word. Said one thing and did another.
I believe God Dan, I believe Him.
Jesus did partake of wine! unfermented.
It's in black and white, LTM.

He did it.

....and there's nothing in scripture to tell us it's anything other than real wine-the alcoholic kind. Nothing. Zippo.

The Bible's been translated 16 bazillion times, and they ALL say "wine".

Only people who think Christ made a mistake (like you) twist and turn to tell us it isn't real wine so you can rationalize your fear of booze. Don't make your problem everyone else's problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Jun 19 Dementia mental c... 36
News Gregory: Bishops - can never say we are sorry e... Jun 18 Listen to the Word 1
News Pat Robertson Is Birth Control (Nov '14) Jun 13 Donald Scampi 2
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Jun 12 Married in 10,558
News Why Melania Trump covers her head one day and n... Jun 8 lavon affair 10
News How the war-of-words between Trump and Pope Fra... Jun 8 USS LIBERTY 9
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Jun 7 princess_noochie 84,749
More from around the web