Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 679126 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

chuck

Dublin, OH

#439171 May 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I mentioned all this yesterday, chuck.
To say that a true born again christian does not have the same benefits as a catholic because a catholic confesses sin to a priest is an absolute lie from the pit of Hell.

Do you really believe this Dan....really?
marge

Leesburg, GA

#439172 May 9, 2013
Brothers, listen. We are here to proclaim that through this man Jesus there is forgiveness for your sins.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439173 May 9, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
------ WHAT----- MOSES A JEW WROTE THE FIRST FIVE BOOKS OF THE BIBLE. JESUS TALKING TO JEWS REFERRED TO THE HOLY SCRIPTURE IN THE O.T. MANY TIMES.
JEWS READ THE HOLY SCRIPTURES IN THE SYNAGOGUES DAILY.
Like in the days when Jesus walked the earth, there are Jews for Christ, and there are Jews against Christ.
Just like non Jews.
You go into any synagogue and they will be reading from the Holy Scriptures, About Abraham, Moses, Jacob, King David, etc.
The N.T. was written by Jews, Peter, Paul, Matthew, Mark, and John,
Luke was a Greek.
They all knew their God, and who their savior was I suggest you read the bible so you will learn too.
SALVATION IS FROM THE JEWS NOT THE CATHOLIC'S.
You're a Jew?

If so, what passage from the Bible will they be reading at synagogue this Saturday?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439174 May 9, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
AMEN KAYMARIE,
Then, what to do with Matt. 16:19?

Tear that page out?

Can I get an AMEN?
Michael

Canada

#439175 May 9, 2013
Irish catholics leaving in droves.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/2013032...
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439176 May 9, 2013
ON FACE BOOK TODAY THERE ARE 2 LITTLE BOYS AND ONE IS TELLING THE OTHER.
"IF YOU AIN'T GOT JESUS
THEN YA AIN'T GOT NUTTIN
BUDDY."
the little guy is right
Michael

Canada

#439177 May 9, 2013
German catholics leaving the church in record numbers.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines...

what is going on?

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#439178 May 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure the exercise was undertaken with a base assumption that God "needed" something.
Of course the Catholics implied that the Jewish god needed correcting, and so they went about correcting and conforming him by adding to the story that only Catholics could be saved by the son of the Jewish god ... of all the silly things.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439179 May 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow indeed.
You sitting in judgment of "guys" like Paul, Timothy, Barnabas, Stephen and on and on.
How did I judge them? All godly men who are great examples for men today. Paul maybe the most influential person on earth since Christ...imo...how am I judging him?
Michael

Canada

#439180 May 9, 2013
Older american catholics at a crossroad.

http://www.dw.de/us-catholicism-at-a-crossroa...

Prince George, Canada

#439181 May 9, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
I keep trying to tell you religions are not going to save people.
Then why are you preaching what you believe is truth from your own Christian religion?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#439182 May 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Who determined that Christ was speaking metaphorically? Not the Apostles-they did what He told them to do.
If the Apostles took it at face, were they wrong?
Since you are relagating "IF" questions.....

If Jesus taught much more than what was decided to be his teachings, are you stating that they were wrong in believing in allof what Jesus taught?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439183 May 9, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
To say that a true born again christian does not have the same benefits as a catholic because a catholic confesses sin to a priest is an absolute lie from the pit of Hell.
Do you really believe this Dan....really?
I'm not sure it's a "lie", from Hell or elsewhere, to point out the differences. You were quite comfy earlier judging the Saints' confessional experiences as lacking-you said they "missed out", so unsure why the feigned outrage here.

We'll go through it-

Is the Catholic who confesses his sins to a priest any better off than the non-Catholic who confesses directly to God? Yes.
1.) First, he seeks forgiveness the way Christ intended.
You do not do this, so no lie here.

2.) Second, by confessing to a priest, the Catholic learns a lesson in humility, which is avoided when one confesses only through private prayer.
Subjective, but if you don't make the outward sign of penitence, you couldn't be humbled thusly. No lie here.

3.) The Catholic receives sacramental graces the non-Catholic doesn’t get; through the sacrament of penance sins are forgiven and graces are obtained.
Hardly requires comment, but you don't think it's a sacrament, so no sacramental graces conferred. No lie here.

4.) The Catholic is assured that his sins are forgiven; he does not have to rely on a subjective "feeling."
Incontrovertibly true. Possibly problematic to protestants as they seem to want to makes sure they arrive at something themselves (or when Rev. Smithy tells them they should). In any event, no lie here.

5.) The Catholic can also obtain sound advice on avoiding sin in the future.
The unspoken caveat here is "from someone else". Again, problematic for the protestant as if it's not what they come up with (or what Rev. Smithy comes up with), it's BS.

OK-all they way through and no untrue statement found.

Now you know how Sts. Paul, Timothy, Barnabas, Stephen and so on feel when you decided that their confessions were somehow lacking. Of course, they were wrong and you're right. Have fun with that.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#439184 May 9, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
How did I judge them? All godly men who are great examples for men today. Paul maybe the most influential person on earth since Christ...imo...how am I judging him?
You noted how their confessional experiences were lacking. They "missed out", yes?
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439185 May 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a Jew?
If so, what passage from the Bible will they be reading at synagogue this Saturday?
You know Dan, Bible read is every day.
It's not just an hour or a few hours a week.
God's word must always be the most important thing you ever read.
It's God talking to us.
Every day is the day of the Lord because He has created another day another day for people to do what is right.
God's Mercies are fresh and new every day.
The slate has been wiped clean from yesterday, and the evils we have done to each other.
When we confess our sins to God, He does not keep those sins to use against us they are gone He remembers them no more.
I serve God and only Him, I know who I am in Christ Jesus.
I am not out to impress any one, I believe God, I believe His word, if you want to serve the catholic church and bow your knee to statues and the Pope and kiss his hand that is your choice.
Sunday is the first day of the week Saturday is the seventh day of the week.
God establish the Sabbath in the Garden of Eden. so it must be a very important.
Man was not made for the Sabbath the Sabbath was made for man.
Is God not the Lord of the Harvest Dan.
The only conditions Jesus gave to be saved, is to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved.
Acts 15:11 Romans 10:9

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#439186 May 9, 2013
who="Dan"
Then, what to do with Matt. 16:19?
Tear that page out?
Can I get an AMEN?

No. You can go back and read it right.

KayMarie
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439187 May 9, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
St. Paul, to name one, believed in confession as Catholics understand it.

"God has reconciled us to Himself through Christ and has given us the ministry of reconciliation." (2 Cor 5:18)

He doesn't sound wistful here, as though he's "missing out", does he?

Thank God you came along and gave us your opinion on the efficacy of his confession. I had they guy pegged as a Saint-someone to emulate.

Prince George, Canada

#439188 May 9, 2013
Word-meddling was and is common practice among religious shape-shifters.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

The Hebrew Goddess

Asherah, known as the "Lady of the Sea"

Asherah, the Shekinah, consort and beloved of Yahweh. God-the-Mother. Her sacred pillars or poles once stood right beside Yahweh's altar, embracing it. Moses and Aaron both carried one of these Asherah "poles" as a sacred staff of power. The Children of Israel were once dramatically healed simply by gazing at the staff with serpents suspended from it. This symbol, the snakes and the staff, has become the modern universal symbol for doctors and healers.* Asherah was also widely known in the Middle Eastern ancient world as a Goddess of Healing. Then She was removed forcibly from the Old Testament Hebrew Scriptures around 400 or 500 B.C.

http://www.northernway.org/hgoddess.html
Dan

Omaha, NE

#439189 May 9, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
You know Dan, Bible read is every day.
It's not just an hour or a few hours a week.
God's word must always be the most important thing you ever read.
It's God talking to us.
Every day is the day of the Lord because He has created another day another day for people to do what is right.
God's Mercies are fresh and new every day.
The slate has been wiped clean from yesterday, and the evils we have done to each other.
When we confess our sins to God, He does not keep those sins to use against us they are gone He remembers them no more.
I serve God and only Him, I know who I am in Christ Jesus.
I am not out to impress any one, I believe God, I believe His word, if you want to serve the catholic church and bow your knee to statues and the Pope and kiss his hand that is your choice.
Sunday is the first day of the week Saturday is the seventh day of the week.
God establish the Sabbath in the Garden of Eden. so it must be a very important.
Man was not made for the Sabbath the Sabbath was made for man.
Is God not the Lord of the Harvest Dan.
The only conditions Jesus gave to be saved, is to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved.
Acts 15:11 Romans 10:9
Actually, they read the Torah at synagogue.

Don't worry about impressing anyone, LTM. You aren't in danger of that happening.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#439190 May 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You noted how their confessional experiences were lacking. They "missed out", yes?
We disagree on confession, so I don't think they lacked or missed out on anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 3 hr Barmsweb 84,702
News What is up with that strange photo of President... 8 hr Pope Closet Emeritus 9
News Pope's Egypt visit offers chance to improve Cat... 22 hr BB Board 1
News Why Melania Trump covers her head one day and n... Fri True Christian wi... 1
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) May 24 Apostolic of anot... 10,545
News How the war-of-words between Trump and Pope Fra... May 23 WhollyConcrete 8
News President Trump to meet with Pope Francis May 23 Rico from East Lo... 4
More from around the web