Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
423,061 - 423,080 of 539,139 Comments Last updated 7 min ago
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#438870 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the full prayer of absolution:
“God the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of His Son, has reconciled the world to Himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; Through the ministry of the church, may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”
The entire Holy Trinity is mentioned. Twice.
Saying, "I absolve you from your sins... " is what I proved.
Only God can forgive sins.

Jesus was accused of blasphemy by saying those words.

Since the priest never paid for any sin, he is unworthy of stating, "I absolve you from your sins" even in the names.
Ella

Rockford, MI

#438871 May 8, 2013
One of the strangest things I was taught in the RCC was when confessing my sins before the priest (in the confessional) I was to start off with this statement:'bless me father for I have sinned.......' Bless me for sinning?????What????
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#438872 May 8, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I found the name of the man who was incarcerated, but they didn't go into detail about why he was pardoned.
It was years ago that I read about the dying priest confessing to another priest who then went to the law.
And the fact that after ten years he was pardoned should indicate to you that there was indeed a good reason.
The case was so interesting to me, I remembered to this day that his name was Lloyd Prevost.
http://forejustice.org/db/Prevost--Lloyd.html
Wow. I'm surprised you came up with something. Not much to go on here now is there...

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#438873 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing.
You shot your mouth off earlier today about Warren and what he thinks RE: suicide, and then deflected it sans citation.
Sometimes I'll humor BS artists, but it gets tiring.
Oh THAT is what's bugging you.

Actually I expressed my opinion about Rick Warren and how he leaves the "negative" aspect of religion out of his son's suicide.

Had he been a preacher of the Christian dogma of old, chances are better than average he would have stated that the devil lead his son to commit evil against his own body.

That is my opinion, and this is a forum ... not your church.

Was my citation satisfactory to your whims this time?

If not ... TOO BAD.

Prince George, Canada

#438874 May 8, 2013
Members of the clergy were not subjected to legal persecution.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

Georges Minois … History of Suicide … Voluntary Death in Western Culture … Translated by Lydia G. Cochrane. First published in 1995.

The body of a cleric who had committed suicide was not subject to execution by civil justice.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438875 May 8, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
I was perfectly aware of the vernacular being used these days. My wife was Catholic and I attended Mass with her.
The Latin was used to prove to you that it is a power of the priest to forgive sin.
Lucius Ferraris also stated...
“The Pope is of great authority and power, that he is able to modify, declare, or interpret even divine laws.
The Pope can modify divine law, since his power is not of man, but of God, and he acts as vicegerent of God upon earth...”— Lucius Ferraris, in “Prompta Bibliotheca Canonica, Juridica, Moralis, Theologica, Ascetica, Polemica, Rubristica, Historica”, Volume V, article on “Papa, Article II”, titled “Concerning the extent of Papal dignity, authority, or dominion and infallibility”,#30, published in Petit-Montrouge (Paris) by J. P. Migne, 1858 edition.
He has the following credentials...
F. Lucii Ferraris... Prompta bibliotheca, canonica, juridica, moralis, theologica, nec non ascetica, polemica, rubricistica, historica. Not insignificant.
Yeah. You knew about the Latin. Didn't know the context in which the phrase was said, but you knew the Latin thing.

You've pasted the same Ferraris quotes as you had previously. Ferraris WAS a canonist, no question. His work, still, doesn't constitute Catholic doctrine. Were he alive today, he'd tell you as much.

Unlike Protestantism, everything a Catholic writes concerning theological matters isn't awarded doctrinal status just because it's written down.

Prince George, Canada

#438876 May 8, 2013
Georges Minois … History of Suicide … Voluntary Death in Western Culture … Translated by Lydia G. Cochrane. First published in 1995.

Some Jews and heretics were among the suicides of the Middle Ages. It was usually Christian persecution that drove the Jews to suicide, particularly in the periods of general excitement preceding and during the crusades. This was the case in Mainz in 1065, as the chronicler Albert d’Aix tells us:

The Jews, seeing the Christians take up arms as enemies against them and their children with no respect for the weakness of old age, armed themselves as well against one another, against their co-religionists, against their wives, their children, their mothers, and their sisters, and massacred one another. It was horrible! Mothers grasped knives to cut the throats of their nursing babes, and they knifed their other children as well, preferring to destroy themselves by their own hands rather than succumb under the blows of the uncircumcised.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438877 May 8, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh THAT is what's bugging you.
Actually I expressed my opinion about Rick Warren and how he leaves the "negative" aspect of religion out of his son's suicide.
Had he been a preacher of the Christian dogma of old, chances are better than average he would have stated that the devil lead his son to commit evil against his own body.
That is my opinion, and this is a forum ... not your church.
Was my citation satisfactory to your whims this time?
If not ... TOO BAD.
If he was a bird, he'd fly to the grocery store.

Warren leaves the "negative" stuff out every time. That's why he runs a megachurch. Like Osteen, he runs out niceties, generalities and things that work well on needlepoint, not hard doctrine.

You don't know what he teaches RE: suicide. Fitting him into your narrative was a mean-spirited swipe.

Prince George, Canada

#438878 May 8, 2013
While the Catholics were slaughtering Jews, they were teaching their followers that Jesus the Jew was forgiving sin s in the Catholic confessionals.

If you don't see something very wrong with that picture ... YOU SHOULD!!!
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438879 May 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. I'm surprised you came up with something. Not much to go on here now is there...
I recant.

June cited something and not Wikipedia.

Mea culpa.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#438880 May 8, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Here you go. I missed the part about the priest the first time I read it.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >
Wrongly convicted of murder by a jury in May 1920 and sentenced to life in prison. In 1925 actual murderer confessed to a priest. Michigan Gov. Fred Green pardoned Lloyd Prevost in Dec. 1930 after pardon board investigation. No compensation awarded for 10-1/2 years of wrongful imprisonment.
http://forejustice.org/db/Prevost--Lloyd.html
Still looking for the death-bed confession 10 years later after he knew who the killer was part. Really June, nothing more "official"?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438881 May 8, 2013
Ella wrote:
One of the strangest things I was taught in the RCC was when confessing my sins before the priest (in the confessional) I was to start off with this statement:'bless me father for I have sinned.......' Bless me for sinning?????What????
"Father, I have sinned. Please give me your blessing as I approach you to confess my sins."

Better?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438882 May 8, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Since the priest never paid for any sin, he is unworthy of stating, "I absolve you from your sins" even in the names.
Who needed you to "prove" it? I already knew it.

The priest can absolve sins. He has Christ's authority to do so.

Christ said so.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#438883 May 8, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="OldJG" John XII was a libertine, murderer and Satan worshiper which is already enough to be on this list. Besides that, he loved women, few men. His favorite was his father’s concubine Stephanie and his own niece. But, unfortunately this isn’t all! He had blinded his confessor Benedict; castrated Cardinal John and turn the Latern Palace into a brothel. During his mass, he gave wine toast to Satan and Roman Gods. He stole church treasure and raped peasants, but was finally killed by a jealous husband.
Papal succession ??? Vicar of Christ ???
KM
My sentiments exactly. Vicar of ????? No, not hardly.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438884 May 8, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
We think that God forgives sins too.

Christ gave the priest authority to absolve one of their sins in His name (see again the Prayer of Absolution).
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#438885 May 8, 2013
Ella wrote:
Do you think Jesus approves of your insincerity?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438886 May 8, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
God forgives the sin.

The absolution from the priest remits the sin and removes the punishment for same.

Does this help?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438887 May 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No-her penance, apparently, was to admit that she didn't understand simple English on a public message board.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#438888 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I recant.
June cited something and not Wikipedia.
Mea culpa.
Yes, "something". I think wiki may be more reliable.
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#438889 May 8, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
She's what Gene would call a Seminar Catholic, lol....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Thu Maverick 8,274
Filipino Catholics hails new saints Thu ELIAS IBARRA 45
Agenda for Pope's apostolic visit to Sri Lanka ... Aug 27 Ponniah 1
Allah is great.... (Jul '13) Aug 26 christ 170
Cuba to build first Catholic church in decades Aug 25 WE JUST DONT CARE 37
Pope Aims At Revival of Holy Roman Empire Aug 23 Patriot 1
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Aug 23 ELIAS IBARRA 46
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••