Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
423,041 - 423,060 of 532,793 Comments Last updated 8 min ago

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Singing from the June hymnal-"I think what I think, and don't pester me for details or substance".
Fantasy of all religion "lacks" substance, and that includes your religions.
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Dan wrote:
They haven't said "Ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis" nor anything else in Latin for years and years.
Nice "google", though.
Nevertheless, the RCC claims to be apostolic in that it teaches only that which the apostles taught. She (the RCC) never changes.
The Latin was dropped but the powers of the priest remained.

Or did they strip the priests of absolving sin?

1.“The Pope is of so great dignity and so exalted that he is not a mere man, but as it were GOD, and the vicar of God.... The Pope is as it were GOD on earth.”— Lucius Ferraris,“Papa,” article 2 in his Prompta Bibliotheca (Handy Library), Volume 6, pages 26-29.

2.“We [the Popes] hold upon this earth the place of GOD Almighty.”— Pope Leo XIII, The Great Encyclical Letters of Pope Leo XIII, page 304.

3.“The Pope is not only the representative of Jesus Christ, but he is Jesus Christ, Himself, hidden under the veil of human flesh.”— Catholic National, July 1895.

4.“The Pope and God are the same, so he has all power in Heaven and earth.”— Pope Pius V, quoted in Barclay, Chapter XXVII, p. 218,“Cities Petrus Bertanous.”

5.“Seek where you will, through heaven and earth, and you will find but one created being who can forgive the sinner.... That extraordinary being is the priest, the Catholic priest.”— Michael Muller, The Catholic Priest, page 78.

Number 5 is important. Is Michael Muller not of significance now?

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Citation is a messy detail that June seems to studiously avoid. When pressed, she'll take a cursory glance at Wikipedia, but that's about all you'll get.
She is enamored with the sound of her own voice and will post ad nauseum in a desperate attempt at relevance to a thread.
When pressed on a particular, she'll drop whatever subject she raised instantaneously.
What would like me address that didn't satisfy your whims?
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

“Heretics (those who are not members of the Catholic Church or who do not hold to Catholic doctrine) worship a God who is a liar, and a Christ who is a liar.”— St. Augustine,(quoted in “Patrologiae Cursus Completus: Series Graca”, by Fr. J. P. Migne, Paris: 1866, 42:207).

Nice statement. All you on this thread who are not papists worship a liar.
So says St. Augustine, an early father.

Muslims call all of us INFIDELS.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Greedy guts, LOL wow name calling to boot,
Well ... your gut tells you to be greedy in the idea that a god exists just to pamper you.

A Jewish god ... no less!

:)
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why does the incantation of... "‘Ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis’[I absolve you from your sin] prove a power of the priest as Alphonsus de Liguori wrote in the article?
Anyone can say something in the name of Jesus without having any ordained power at all.
Just more Catholic nonsense.
Have they changed?
How about this piece of arrogance?
“The Pope is of great authority and power, that he is able to modify, declare, or interpret even divine laws.
The Pope can modify divine law, since his power is not of man, but of God, and he acts as vicegerent of God upon earth...”— Lucius Ferraris, in “Prompta Bibliotheca Canonica, Juridica, Moralis, Theologica, Ascetica, Polemica, Rubristica, Historica”, Volume V, article on “Papa, Article II”, titled “Concerning the extent of Papal dignity, authority, or dominion and infallibility”,#30, published in Petit-Montrouge (Paris) by J. P. Migne, 1858 edition.
Have they recanted from this arrogance?
"We declare, say, define, and pronounce that it is absolutely necessary for the salvation of every human creature to be subject to the Roman Pontiff (Pope Boniface VIII, the Bull Unum Sanctum, 1302).
They say it in the vernacular now, not Latin.

The priest IS ordained, thus it isn't a case of "anyone saying something". He's ordained, and is acting with Christ's authority conferred in scripture. I cannot say it to an effect as I'm not a priest.

I provided the full prayer for you. That's what's said at Confession. The priest does not grant his own absolution, rather God's.

I haven't read Ferraris-he was a Franciscan canonist and his work doesn't suffice as nor present itself as Catholic doctrine.

Do you guys always throw all your cards on the table at one time-ecclesial 52 pickup?

Odd that you'd assert "arrogance" on part of the Church when you presumed to inform me, a Catholic, on the Form of Confession You didn't even know they dropped Latin years ago.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Are we to understand that your "innocent victim in jail because priest didn't tell who the murderer was" story is just an opinion? That we should see the connection with the lawyer story and which proves how corrupt the priesthood is?
My goodness, you are really out there.
Lawyers are forbidden to break the confession of their clients, even if the client admits to committing murder.

Priest are forbidden to break the seal of confession even if those who come to them for confession admit that they murdered other people.

THAT is the comparison.

At least that is the way it was before. I don't know what the law is now, but I hope it changed, as it protects criminals, while innocent humans take the rap.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why does the incantation of... "‘Ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis’[I absolve you from your sin] prove a power of the priest as Alphonsus de Liguori wrote in the article?
Anyone can say something in the name of Jesus without having any ordained power at all.
Just more Catholic nonsense.
Have they changed?
How about this piece of arrogance?
“The Pope is of great authority and power, that he is able to modify, declare, or interpret even divine laws.
The Pope can modify divine law, since his power is not of man, but of God, and he acts as vicegerent of God upon earth...”— Lucius Ferraris, in “Prompta Bibliotheca Canonica, Juridica, Moralis, Theologica, Ascetica, Polemica, Rubristica, Historica”, Volume V, article on “Papa, Article II”, titled “Concerning the extent of Papal dignity, authority, or dominion and infallibility”,#30, published in Petit-Montrouge (Paris) by J. P. Migne, 1858 edition.
Have they recanted from this arrogance?
"We declare, say, define, and pronounce that it is absolutely necessary for the salvation of every human creature to be subject to the Roman Pontiff (Pope Boniface VIII, the Bull Unum Sanctum, 1302).
Most protestants here insist they are born again, have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and therefore can infallibly interpret scripture. They insist that Catholics who disagree them are hell bound and need to run from the CC if they hope to be saved. Not one of them will recant. Arrogance you say?
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Fantasy of all religion "lacks" substance, and that includes your religions.
The only substance I would like from you at the moment is some sort citation to the innocent prisoner/guilty priest story
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Nevertheless, the RCC claims to be apostolic in that it teaches only that which the apostles taught. She (the RCC) never changes.
The Latin was dropped but the powers of the priest remained.
Or did they strip the priests of absolving sin?
1.“The Pope is of so great dignity and so exalted that he is not a mere man, but as it were GOD, and the vicar of God.... The Pope is as it were GOD on earth.”— Lucius Ferraris,“Papa,” article 2 in his Prompta Bibliotheca (Handy Library), Volume 6, pages 26-29.
2.“We [the Popes] hold upon this earth the place of GOD Almighty.”— Pope Leo XIII, The Great Encyclical Letters of Pope Leo XIII, page 304.
3.“The Pope is not only the representative of Jesus Christ, but he is Jesus Christ, Himself, hidden under the veil of human flesh.”— Catholic National, July 1895.
4.“The Pope and God are the same, so he has all power in Heaven and earth.”— Pope Pius V, quoted in Barclay, Chapter XXVII, p. 218,“Cities Petrus Bertanous.”
5.“Seek where you will, through heaven and earth, and you will find but one created being who can forgive the sinner.... That extraordinary being is the priest, the Catholic priest.”— Michael Muller, The Catholic Priest, page 78.
Number 5 is important. Is Michael Muller not of significance now?
The language changed from Latin to the vernacular. The Prayer of Absolution did not change, nor did the Form of Confession.

Already responded RE: Lucius Ferraris. His writings are not Church doctrine.

No one thinks the Pope is God. A cursory review of the Catechism will disabuse even the most hardened of this notion. I cannot respond to quotes out of context. Can you link the full texts of 32,#3,#4?

I've never heard of Michael Muller. I did look up the book title and him just now, and he appears to have been a 19th century priest. His writings are not doctrinal. Again, I can't respond to a quote taken out of context. Please link the full text if possible.

This line of inquiry resembles a scripted, tract-style exercise. Is this so, or did you research all this information personally? You erred respective to the absolution matter, so I'm curious if your research here is as haphazard.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
so someone cast a spell on you and drew you into their religion, that explains a lot.
Just as occurred with you, theologians cast spells on me ... until I caught on that they were implying that magical elements was the source of their words.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
What would like me address that didn't satisfy your whims?
Nothing.

You shot your mouth off earlier today about Warren and what he thinks RE: suicide, and then deflected it sans citation.

Sometimes I'll humor BS artists, but it gets tiring.

Doctor REALITY

North Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

More than likely, the False Prophet will come from....the Vatican.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The only substance I would like from you at the moment is some sort citation to the innocent prisoner/guilty priest story
I found the name of the man who was incarcerated, but they didn't go into detail about why he was pardoned.

It was years ago that I read about the dying priest confessing to another priest who then went to the law.

And the fact that after ten years he was pardoned should indicate to you that there was indeed a good reason.

The case was so interesting to me, I remembered to this day that his name was Lloyd Prevost.

http://forejustice.org/db/Prevost--Lloyd.html
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Disciple wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny he never mentions him. Is that by default?
Here's the full prayer of absolution:
“God the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of His Son, has reconciled the world to Himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; Through the ministry of the church, may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”

The entire Holy Trinity is mentioned. Twice.

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
No one thinks the Pope is God.
If he maintains that he canspeak on behalf of a god, he believes he is on the same level AS the god ... rather like identical twins can read each other's thoughts.

tongue-in-cheek
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
They say it in the vernacular now, not Latin.
The priest IS ordained, thus it isn't a case of "anyone saying something". He's ordained, and is acting with Christ's authority conferred in scripture. I cannot say it to an effect as I'm not a priest.
I provided the full prayer for you. That's what's said at Confession. The priest does not grant his own absolution, rather God's.
I haven't read Ferraris-he was a Franciscan canonist and his work doesn't suffice as nor present itself as Catholic doctrine.
Do you guys always throw all your cards on the table at one time-ecclesial 52 pickup?
Odd that you'd assert "arrogance" on part of the Church when you presumed to inform me, a Catholic, on the Form of Confession You didn't even know they dropped Latin years ago.
I was perfectly aware of the vernacular being used these days. My wife was Catholic and I attended Mass with her.
The Latin was used to prove to you that it is a power of the priest to forgive sin.

Lucius Ferraris also stated...

He has the following credentials...
F. Lucii Ferraris... Prompta bibliotheca, canonica, juridica, moralis, theologica, nec non ascetica, polemica, rubricistica, historica. Not insignificant.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Tiger Lily wrote:
“Heretics (those who are not members of the Catholic Church or who do not hold to Catholic doctrine) worship a God who is a liar, and a Christ who is a liar.”— St. Augustine,(quoted in “Patrologiae Cursus Completus: Series Graca”, by Fr. J. P. Migne, Paris: 1866, 42:207).
Nice statement. All you on this thread who are not papists worship a liar.
So says St. Augustine, an early father.
Muslims call all of us INFIDELS.
St. Augustine did not employ the parentheticals. You deliberately corrupted the quote.

Thus:

All of you on this thread who misquote people to support an argument you make are liars.

Better?

Vanderhoof, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Here you go. I missed the part about the priest the first time I read it.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

Wrongly convicted of murder by a jury in May 1920 and sentenced to life in prison. In 1925 actual murderer confessed to a priest. Michigan Gov. Fred Green pardoned Lloyd Prevost in Dec. 1930 after pardon board investigation. No compensation awarded for 10-1/2 years of wrongful imprisonment.

http://forejustice.org/db/Prevost--Lloyd.html
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If he maintains that he canspeak on behalf of a god, he believes he is on the same level AS the god ... rather like identical twins can read each other's thoughts.
tongue-in-cheek
Luckily, he doesn't claim to speak on God's behalf.

He speaks on the Church's behalf.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Pope Benedict XVI Forum right now

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 45 min Maverick 8,150
More Thu True Christian witness 2
Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims ... Thu Abdurratln 2
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Thu ELIAS IBARRA 41
In Manila, Catholics pray for smooth succession (Mar '13) Jul 21 Anonymous 102
Serbian patriarch reportedly opposed to canoniz... Jul 21 Marko 3
Newlywed El Pasoan meets Pope Francis Jul 18 Imperial Chicano 6
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••