Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 683952 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

marge

Leesburg, GA

#438670 May 8, 2013
He is the one all the prophets testified about, saying that everyone who believes in him will have their sins forgiven through his name."
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438671 May 8, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Again Dan...the majority of catholics believe the catholic church was the church Christ established because that's what they were taught from a young age.
I'll give you an example. My dad is the most faithful catholic I have ever met. Church everyday, eucharistic minister, etc...etc. When I discuss scripture and question catholic doctrine with him, he can't defend. All he knows is the catholic church is the true church...there is no other. So why does he believe this? Because it's all he has ever been taught and I know many many catholics in the same boat.
What's your point on this line, chuck?

My whole life, people have told me the sky is blue. I checked for myself one day, and sure enough, it IS blue.

The Catholic Church claims that it is the Church Christ established in Scripture. I checked it out, and they're right. No other Church even attempts to deny it.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438672 May 8, 2013
marge wrote:
"Brothers, listen! We are here to proclaim that through this man Jesus there is forgiveness for your sins.
Marge-

Who on the board here is denying that Christ forgives us of our sins?
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#438673 May 8, 2013
If a kingdom of darkness exists, it's because the one and only god that created evil wanted it to exist. Otherwise he would not allow it to exist.

Silly nonsense!
marge

Leesburg, GA

#438674 May 8, 2013
Dan,

8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#438675 May 8, 2013
marge wrote:
God is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins.
You forgot to mention "hell."

Your self-hypnosis must have got blinded your sight.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438676 May 8, 2013
marge wrote:
Dan,
8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
Again, what Christian on this board made statements to the contrary?

I just didn't understand why the flurry of verses you threw up.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#438677 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Marge-
Who on the board here is denying that Christ forgives us of our sins?
the catholics were saying they go to a earthly priest for the forgiveness of sins and healing instead of our high priest Jesus who is in heaven.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#438678 May 8, 2013
who="Dan"
I go to confession, and I don't get penance of the type that is described in your excerpt.
Times change, June.

Jesus Christ, the SAME YESTERDAY, TODAY AND FOREVER...

KayMarie
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438679 May 8, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>That statement is glib Tony.
I don't see the Eucharist in terms of transubstantiation, I see it as the body and blood of Christ. Whenever protestants attack the Eucharist by means of the doctrine of transubstantiation it tells me they don't understand what it is. The Orthodox may criticize us for attempting to define the Eucharist, but there's no question we agree what it is.

Jesus's plan for us was what He said it was, "offer this as my memorial sacrifice." Receiving the Eucharist is our obedience to His command. Why you see this as some kind of pointless ritual is beyond me.

I gave you a link describing the Christian paintings and statues in existence during the first century, didn't you read it?

Enlightening comments from a highly renowned protestant historian;

JND Kelly's Summary of the Ante-Nicene Fathers

"....the eucharist was regarded as the distinctively Christian SACRIFICE from the closing decade of the first century, if not earlier. Malachi's prediction (1,10f) that the Lord would reject the Jewish sacrifices and instead would have 'a pure offering' made to Him by the Gentiles in every place was early seized upon by Christians [Did 14,3; Justin dial 41,2f; Irenaeus ad haer 4,17,5] as a prophecy of the eucharist....It was natural for early Christians to think of the eucharist as a sacrifice. The fulfillment of prophecy demanded a solemn Christian offering, and the rite itself was wrapped in the sacrificial atmosphere with which our Lord invested the Last Supper....Ignatius roundly declares [Smyrn 6,2] that 'the eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, which suffered for our sins and which the Father in His goodness raised'. The bread is the flesh of Jesus, the cup His blood [Rom 7,3]. CLEARLY he intends this realism to be taken STRICTLY, for he makes it the basis of his argument against the Docetists' DENIAL of the REALITY of Christ's body....Justin actually refers to the CHANGE [1 Apol 66,2]....So Irenaeus teaches [Haer 4,17,5; 4,18,4; 5,2,3] that the bread and wine are REALLY the Lord's body and blood. His witness is, indeed, all the more IMPRESSIVE because he produces it quite incidentally while refuting the Gnostic and Docetic REJECTION of the Lord's real humanity. Like Justin, too, he seems to postulate a CHANGE [Haer 4,18,5].....The eucharist was also, of course, the great act of worship of Christians, their SACRIFICE. The writers and liturgies of the period are UNANIMOUS in recognizing it as such." (Early Christian Doctrines, page 196-198, 214 emphasis added)
marge

Leesburg, GA

#438680 May 8, 2013
If we confess our sins, HE is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#438681 May 8, 2013
Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD." And you forgave the guilt of my sin.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#438682 May 8, 2013
He gave his life to free us from every kind of sin, to cleanse us, and to make us his very own people, totally committed to doing good deeds.

#438683 May 8, 2013
who="Dan"
Matt. 16:19
Christ conferred this authority to the Apostles. Catholics believe that apostolic authority has succeeded to the present via ordination.
Protestants do not believe this.

Jesus Christ taught the Apostles Himself. He still does it via the Holy Spirit.

When one follows HIM, he/she does not become a reprobate. And a reprobate IS NOT an apostle, no matter how many degrees he has.

KayMarie
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438684 May 8, 2013
marge wrote:
If we confess our sins, HE is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Why don't you confess your sins?

“lightly burnt,but still smokin”

Since: Dec 06

in the corner of your mind,

#438685 May 8, 2013
If Jesus had to die for my sins, didn't he break the deal when he 'rose from the dead'? If I give you $5000 as a 'sacrifice', but take it back in three days, I haven't sacrificed shit and you haven't gained shit.
truth

Perth, Australia

#438686 May 8, 2013
I been half nun to my youngest brother we are just 6-7 years deference..i watch my poor mother,,she sleep off on floor..nobody around her..my mother my mother i love her very much..no any help no any nun no any money..nothing at all..only me..i watching hopeless mother in pain..i save her and my youngest brother..o jamerika is been chamerika for us..i don't know why this people complain about materialistic possession money another worthy things..my mum dying i return myself trough street to another woman's..my mum dying..i remember i been blue i like cry but can't its been modern then trauma in my life..but i win..i save my mother and my brother..no any hospital close not any law which protect us or give any rights for us.
Thanks to real creator that we fill in our life goodness toward us which we never have in our hardship where everybody point finger you are wrong.

#438687 May 8, 2013
who="Dan"
"create your own, and attempt to manipulate
God, and make his word conform to theirs."
Mrs. GIF just described Protestantism.

Mrs. GIF didn't say that. I can't speak for every Protestant...there are a few unusual ones...but CC's have developed their own 'plan'.

KayMarie
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438688 May 8, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
the catholics were saying they go to a earthly priest for the forgiveness of sins and healing instead of our high priest Jesus who is in heaven.
You misunderstand.

The priest absolves the sinner in Christ's name, not his own.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#438689 May 8, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Dan"
I go to confession, and I don't get penance of the type that is described in your excerpt.
Times change, June.
Jesus Christ, the SAME YESTERDAY, TODAY AND FOREVER...
KayMarie
The form of penance, the subject of my statement, doesn't share Christ's immutable qualities. It can and does change.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'That's all he wanted': Spicer, a devout Cathol... Tue misleading troller 2
News The pope praised him for providing for his pare... Jul 19 Laredo 3
News Boston cardinal, Jewish leaders have Holocaust ... (Feb '09) Jul 19 Dhimmi Democrat 33
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Jul 18 Married in 10,571
News Paul Is No Inventor of Christianity, Says Pope (Sep '08) Jul 16 True Christian wi... 77
News Editorial: The Vatican's Failure in the Abuse S... Jul 13 seemoregood 1
News In Defense of Free Speech in the United States (May '15) Jul 11 Muslim lives don_... 6
More from around the web