Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 692159 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

chuck

Dublin, OH

#438589 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
What of Matt. 16:19?
Disregard it?
Why disregard it? You just don't understand it.

Danny, Matt 16:19 is for Peter, apostles, and ever christian that has ever lived and living today.. not just the folks at the local catholic church.

"19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven"

doesn't this mean how do we get into Heaven??? Doesn't every christian have the keys to Heaven..don't all Christians know how to get into Heaven?? You folks crack me up....
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#438590 May 8, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be so silly....post *all* the information, not just the parts you like:
It is also a medicinal rather than a vindictive penalty, being intended, not so much to punish the culprit, as to correct him and bring him back to the path of righteousness.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05678a.htm
Just as I said. You're not a good loser, June.
Burning supposed heretics was also perceived as "medicinal" by the hierarchy. It was perceived as cleansing the world of EVIL.

You can use fancy words to your heart's content, but excommunication was a form of the hierarchy forcing others to their to do their own wills.

They were brutes and nothing more.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#438591 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would James instruct us to confess our sins to another if it's to no effect (no forgiveness)?
So other christians can pray for you...praying for you, not forgiving your sins.
Just Sayin

Mount Juliet, TN

#438592 May 8, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus said to confess our sins to each other....yes but what does this have to do with a priest having authority to forgive sins?
Matthew 9:6
But that you may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins,(then said he to the man sick of palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go into thy house.

Jesus professing His power to forgive sin as the Son of *man*.

18 And I (Jesus) say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Jesus establishes Peter as the earthly leader of His Church.

Matthew 16:19
And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.

Jesus gives Peter the authority to forgive sins.

Titus 1:5
For this cause I left thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and shouldest ordain priests in every city, as I also appointed thee...
Acts 14
20 And when they had preached the gospel to that city, and had taught many, they returned again to Lystra, and to Iconium, and to Antioch:
21 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith: and that through many tribulations we must enter into the kingdom of God.
22 And when they had ordained to them priests in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, in whom they believed.
1 Timothy (in entirety)
2 Timothy (in entirety)

The Church heirachy and the succession of the leaders of the Church are seen.

James 5:14
Is any man sick among you? Let him bring in the priests of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

James 5:16
Confess therefore your sins one to another: and pray one for another, that you may be saved. For the continual prayer of a just man availeth much.

Therefor we confess our sins to the ones who have the authority to forgive them and who are sworn to secrecy.
Who do you confess your sins to?
chuck

Dublin, OH

#438593 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would James instruct us to confess our sins to another if it's to no effect (no forgiveness)?
Are you suggesting that James is foreshadowing Dr. Phil or some such function?
Of all the women you have lusted after in your life, have you confessed the sin to every one of them or do you confess it to the Lord?

Confessing to a friend when we have sinned against them has nothing to do with a priest absolving sins...none8228

June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#438594 May 8, 2013
From the book,“CONFESSIONS of a FRENCH CATHOLIC PRIEST … edited by Samuel F. B. Morse, A. M.… published in 1837 by John S. Taylor, New York, comes the following

Other priests entertain the most vicious of habits. In the beginning of my priesthood, at the time when I dreamt only of holiness and purity, I was called to the death-bed of an old priest above seventy years of age. All the features of death were stamped on his face, he begged me to come hear his bed, and said to me—“M., I want to confess before I die. It is a long time since I received this Sacrament—I require your ministry.”“But Sir,” answered I, quite frightened at the task of disentangling an intricate conscience,“I am very young and inexperienced—my fellow priests would better suit you.” As I spoke, I saw suddenly a gleam in his dying eyes.“You are young,” said he,“it is precisely for that reason I called you. Were you older I would refuse you, for then you not be better than others. God forbid that I should die confessed by them. Be seated, Sir, and let us begin.” I had nothing to answer, and so I listened to him. Among other humans wickedness, he avowed an horrible crime, at which I could not restrain a mark of horror.“Do not shudder,” said he; “you are young, and in the course of your life, if you confess your fellow priests, you will find worse things than these.” But his reflections did not diminish my horror; I remained petrified, scarcely knowing what he said. He was obliged to recall to the formula of absolution, that I might give it to him. The crime, the circumstances, his old age, his distorted features, his death made an impression upon me which I have never been able to erase from my memory. I knew particularly another middle-aged priest on his death-bed, being waited on by a servant, tried to corrupt him!
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438595 May 8, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>st. james is wrong the book 1 timothy 2:5 proves that, i doubt st. james said "confess your sins to one another."that would be going against gods will.
Hey Mr. Internet, since you have no problem quoting from satanworshippers.com , I would hope you're able to find the Epistle of St. James somewhere out there...
Just Sayin

Mount Juliet, TN

#438596 May 8, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
One cannot realize this from reading God's Word? You have to go to a priest to realize we have a sinful nature?
I said that confessing one's sins to a priest (or to anyone, really) out loud, face to face, forces one to take a *closer look* at their sinful nature.
We don't have to go to a priest to realize we *have* a sinful nature.
One doesn't have to read the Bible to be convinced of humanities sinful nature. Even June would agree with that.
Pad

Fishers, IN

#438597 May 8, 2013
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
"Two dozen supporters showed up" LOL
Do we even know that they are really Catholics????
I eat lunch almost everyday with a Catholic,who happens to be gay,he has told me that he would never leave his church,but that someday he hopes the RCC will realize that gay life style is normal and should be totally recognized by the church.He is not alone in his belief,as he belongs to a group of gays who are all Catholic and have openly protested to the Bishop's letter in our city addressing Same-Sex Marriage. The day the letter was read in @Saint Rita's church,the man I speak of and his significant other walked out on the mass in protest.

He continues along with his partner to attend that church.However he likes to visit on occasion a Lutheran church that has openly invited gays to attend,and caters to their "spiritual needs". I asked the Gay Catholic I work with why he does not just attend a church where Gays are openly supported in their life style,and he said,"With Patience I will wait till M Y church sees the light and opens its doors fully to me and everyother gay who is Catholic.

Star C,the liberal factions in your church are as numerous as if they were a seaparate denomination unto themselves,that you Catholics consider heretical,yet within the confines of the framework of Roman Catholicism.June knows,her other thread she is involved in brings on many gays who are Catholic as well.

In a local Catholic church here in my city Star C. the music director was asked to leave several years ago,he was leading music in that church 10 years,and living with his lover the whole time,there was not one adult member in that church that did'nt know it.The Church Board finally decided to confront the music director,and told him he had to give up his lover if he would be considered to carry on his musical talents there.He protested and refused saying"you do not ask heterosexual couples to give up their lovers yet you ask me to."He is gone,now lives in a southern state leading music in a large United Methodist church that fully accepts both he and his lover no questions asked.

The issues of our day are so complexed,and we all know it.But the fact remains Star C, like a separate denomination within your RCC there exists a huge liberal faction,claiming its rightful heritage to the Church you love,and waiting patiently for just the right pope or leaders to give them their rightful place in the life and breath of the RCC.Why is that? Because your church along with many Reformer churches have given an open door policy to liberalism,yet knocking it at the same time. You can't let them in the front door,and expect them to leave by way of the back door.

You cannot give liberal factions full access to the ministries of your church,yet read letters of condemnation to their life styles and goals.There is much to be said for compromise,and your church along with many reformer churches have compromised along the way,and now they are embarrassed,but it is too late.
Just Sayin

Mount Juliet, TN

#438598 May 8, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
So what is your faith/salvation based on?
God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#438599 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why the problem with enlisting the assistance of a priest?
I don't. Just don't tell me I have to go to a priest so he can absolve my sins..

Why do you have a problem going directly to God?
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#438600 May 8, 2013
From the book,“CONFESSIONS of a FRENCH CATHOLIC PRIEST … edited by Samuel F. B. Morse, A. M.… published in 1837 by John S. Taylor, New York, comes the following

If a priest, in spite of his proverbial cunning, is discovered, and if he is denounced to the bishop by public opinion, he will be removed , to silence the scandal, and sent to another distant village where he will be unknown; and where, by and by, he will begin again the same mode of life.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#438601 May 8, 2013
Try as we might, we can't fool our own consciences.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

From the book,“CONFESSIONS of a FRENCH CATHOLIC PRIEST

The dying man thus, after this long confession, which changes many times all his feelings, frightened with the fear of purgatory, and by its fires, which he has deserved by his negligence of his Catholic duties, is tranquilized only in buying masses, indulgences, and other remedies. His only fear is at not paying dear enough for them. The more he pays, robbing his wife and family, the more is tranquil. In the beginning he dreaded the priest; now he must have him every hour, to confess him, to speak with him of purgatory, which he hopes to avoid by an abundance of masses and indulgences.
Just Sayin

Mount Juliet, TN

#438602 May 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, Turkson did not "defend" the "kill the gays" bill.
JG isn't much of researcher.
You'll note that he and all the other "experts" on Catholicism never, ever cite the Catechism as a basis for an inquiry on Church teaching (even though the Catechism actually IS Church teaching).
They point us to anti-Catholic tracts or screeds that they use to "inform" themselves on what the Church "teaches".
I know. It's comical sometimes.
JG still doesn't realize that Catholics can Google.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438603 May 8, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why disregard it? You just don't understand it.
Danny, Matt 16:19 is for Peter, apostles, and ever christian that has ever lived and living today.. not just the folks at the local catholic church.
"19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven"
doesn't this mean how do we get into Heaven??? Doesn't every christian have the keys to Heaven..don't all Christians know how to get into Heaven?? You folks crack me up....
We understand it.

He didn't confer His authority unto all-just the Apostles.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#438604 May 8, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
One doesn't have to read the Bible to be convinced of humanities sinful nature. Even June would agree with that.
I don't believe in using the word sin as that word indicates sinning against the will of a supposed god.

I am now not in religion, and if I hurt another human, it's my duty to my own conscience to try to right the wrong by an apology and whatever else I must do to show that I am sorry.

I don't go begging forgiveness to any imaginary god. If the god exists, the god has more problems with his own character than I have with mine.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438605 May 8, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
So other christians can pray for you...praying for you, not forgiving your sins.
Well, no-

It's so we may be healed of our sin.

Take special note of "so that you may be healed" below.

16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#438606 May 8, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
And Satan makes four Gods.

A pantheon of deities !

ROFLMAO
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438607 May 8, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Of all the women you have lusted after in your life, have you confessed the sin to every one of them or do you confess it to the Lord?
Confessing to a friend when we have sinned against them has nothing to do with a priest absolving sins...none8228
Correct. Simply confiding in someone is to no effect. That's why you confess to a priest to receive absolution.
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#438608 May 8, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Burning supposed heretics was also perceived as "medicinal" by the hierarchy. It was perceived as cleansing the world of EVIL.
You can use fancy words to your heart's content, but excommunication was a form of the hierarchy forcing others to their to do their own wills.
They were brutes and nothing more.
You're entitled to your opinion, June, as it is just that....opinion and nothing more.
But you just spent several posts claiming that I changed my position and said things I didn't say.*That* you are not entitled to. Since you're now diverting (lol), we can all agree that your original premise was wrong. Excommunications are *not* a thing of the past and women are *not* able to get an abortion and simply participate in a Project Rachel retreat and everything is hunky dory. Thanks for this opportunity to correct you.
Have a nice day!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope urges compassion from politicians who fan ... 31 min The Bible Student 5
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Dec 4 Mr Sir 10,694
News Pope Francis is greeted by young children in tr... Nov 27 TRUE CATHOLIC her... 1
News John Paul I Closer to Sainthood as Book Debunks... Nov '17 South Knox Hombre 1
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Nov '17 Feeling Abandoned 37
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... (Apr '15) Nov '17 whirlignmerc 11
News War, religion and tolerance Oct '17 The Bible Student 1
More from around the web