Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 568,816
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438328 May 7, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
At one time the word hell was not in the "Apostle's" creed.
That means the first authors didn't receive information from on high that a hell existed.
That word "hell" was added later by other authors.
The Apostles Creed, as it's named, always had the reference to hell.

I just showed you.

You also just told me the article came from one of the Apostles.

Make up your mind, please, as to what argument you're promulgating.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438329 May 7, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>saw nothing about the joy of satan ministries,but then again not much difference between the popes and satan anyway.
Well, now that you HAVE seen it, do you still stand behind the "scholarship" presented that you have endorsed?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#438330 May 7, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>my story begins with a documentory that was on t.v. "how sex changed the world" and part of the documentory included the catholic church owning and keeping prostitues for church personal use,they claim it was done so all the virgins in town would be safe from clergy men. so like i said whats the difference between the pope and satan? their outfits?
You failed to cite the documentary and still have yet to do so.

Let me give you a helpful hint. When researching, you aren't supposed to begin with a predetermined conclusion and then research until you find something (no matter the source, apparently) that agrees with the pre-drawn conclusion-you're to research FIRST and draw any conclusions from said research.

I picked this up in elementary school. You may have been sick that day.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#438331 May 7, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>do some looking yourself and see if i'm wrong.
Should I start with books about witches and magicians?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438332 May 7, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Tony...look at it like this.
If you come to me and say Chuck, "I have repented of my sins and have received Christ by faith". I can say to you, your sins are forgiven. Not because I or anyone else has the power to forgive sins but because of what Christ did at the cross.
**Think maybe that what the context is or no?
No, you can't and no, that's not the context.

John 20:21 - before He grants them the authority to forgive sins, Jesus says to the apostles, "as the Father sent me, so I send you." As Christ was sent by the Father to forgive sins, so Christ sends the apostles and their successors forgive sins.

John 20:22 - the Lord "breathes" on the apostles, and then gives them the power to forgive and retain sins. The only other moment in Scripture where God breathes on man is in Gen. 2:7, when the Lord "breathes" divine life into man. When this happens, a significant transformation takes place.

John 20:23 - Jesus says, "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven. If you retain the sins of any, they are retained." In order for the apostles to exercise this gift of forgiving sins, the penitents must orally confess their sins to them because the apostles are not mind readers. The text makes this very clear.

Matt. 9:8 - this verse shows that God has given the authority to forgive sins to "men." Hence, those Protestants who acknowledge that the apostles had the authority to forgive sins (which this verse demonstrates) must prove that this gift ended with the apostles. Otherwise, the apostles' successors still possess this gift. Where in Scripture is the gift of authority to forgive sins taken away from the apostles or their successors?

Matt. 9:6; Mark 2:10 - Christ forgave sins as a man (not God) to convince us that the "Son of man" has authority to forgive sins on earth.

Luke 5:24 - Luke also points out that Jesus' authority to forgive sins is as a man, not God. The Gospel writers record this to convince us that God has given this authority to men. This authority has been transferred from Christ to the apostles and their successors.

Matt. 18:18 - the apostles are given authority to bind and loose. The authority to bind and loose includes administering and removing the temporal penalties due to sin. The Jews understood this since the birth of the Church.

John 20:22-23; Matt. 18:18 - the power to remit/retain sin is also the power to remit/retain punishment due to sin. If Christ's ministers can forgive the eternal penalty of sin, they can certainly remit the temporal penalty of sin (which is called an "indulgence").

2 Cor. 2:10 - Paul forgives in the presence of Christ (some translations refer to the presences of Christ as "in persona Christi"). Some say that this may also be a reference to sins.

2 Cor. 5:18 - the ministry of reconciliation was given to the ambassadors of the Church. This ministry of reconciliation refers to the sacrament of reconciliation, also called the sacrament of confession or penance.

James 5:15-16 - in verse 15 we see that sins are forgiven by the priests in the sacrament of the sick. This is another example of man's authority to forgive sins on earth. Then in verse 16, James says “Therefore, confess our sins to one another,” in reference to the men referred to in verse 15, the priests of the Church.

1 Tim. 2:5 - Christ is the only mediator, but He was free to decide how His mediation would be applied to us. The Lord chose to use priests of God to carry out His work of forgiveness.

Lev. 5:4-6; 19:21-22 - even under the Old Covenant, God used priests to forgive and atone for the sins of others.

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/
chuck

Dublin, OH

#438333 May 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
John 20:23 - Jesus says, "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven. If you retain the sins of any, they are retained."
I didn't think so...sinners how authority to forgive sin...interesting.

Where does Jesus mention confession of sins in this text: "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven. If you retain the sins of any, they are retained."

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#438334 May 7, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
When did God command the use of religious statues?
From my perspective, the better question would BE ... "Why did theologians write all the conflicting data about what supposed gods commanded?"
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#438335 May 7, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does Jesus mention confession of sins in this text: "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven. If you retain the sins of any, they are retained."
Was Jesus speaking to people who could read minds?

Prince George, Canada

#438336 May 7, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The Apostles Creed, as it's named, always had the reference to hell.
I just showed you.
You also just told me the article came from one of the Apostles.
Make up your mind, please, as to what argument you're promulgating.
And I just showed you otherwise.

Being a died in the wool Catholic, you refuse data other than what you have been indoctrinated by your Catholic theologians to believe is the absolute truth.

They succeeded in their quest to brainwash you, and you obeyed the wills of those men.

Prince George, Canada

#438337 May 7, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>I know it happens everywhere,but this is a catholic forum,so that's what i post about,if it were about a different institution i'd be posting about that one also.i'm not singling out the church purposely,but only because this forum is about the church.
If you are singling out Catholics as the only deceivers, you are not being fair.

All theologians were and are deceivers. They insinuate that their fantasies are based on truth.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#438338 May 7, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Say again???

Prince George, Canada

#438339 May 7, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on, June, this post is complete nonsense. Did you put your brain in a blender?
:)
If Jews can't attain heaven without becoming Christian ... Jesus will be blocked from entry.

That is your own silly theology coming back to bite you in the butt.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#438340 May 7, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
From my perspective, the better question would BE ... "Why did theologians write all the conflicting data about what supposed gods commanded?"
You'll have to give me a "for instance" since your question is not very clear.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#438341 May 7, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Acts 10:43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

**Even Peter gets it...why can't catholics?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438342 May 7, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
You start with the false premise that Jesus couldn't/wouldn't give His authority to forgive sins to men (and all men are sinners), then you have to work your way back by contradicting His clear and unmistakable words and commission. That's the story of protestantism, when you seperate yourselves from the Church you have to invent ways to show the Church isn't necessary. It's a sorry story.

Prince George, Canada

#438343 May 7, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll have to give me a "for instance" since your question is not very clear.
The context of my post IS the "for instance."

If you ask yourself why you don't believe that a Muslim theologian received messages from the sky ... then you will know why I don't believe that any theologians ... including your favorites didn't receive any messages from the sky.

Fair is fair ... is it not???

I don't choose one religion over another. That is why I left my own religious beliefs. I didn't like how I was playing favorites with dogmas that I finally caught on were all created by one theologian or another.

Religion is all based on human ego ... the countless human-created deities in supposed orbit bespeaks of nothing but human arrogance.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#438344 May 7, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Say again???
You said:

And I asked: was Jesus speaking to a group of mind readers?

How could Jesus expect them to forgive sins if they weren't told what those sins were unless the apostles could read minds?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#438345 May 7, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Acts 10:43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”
**Even Peter gets it...why can't catholics?
We do get it. Our sins are forgiven through His name. Never went to confession did you chuck?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#438346 May 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven. If you retain the sins of any, they are retained."
"Is one of you sick? Let him send for the presbyters of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the Lord’s name. Prayer offered in faith will restore the sick man, and the Lord will give him relief; if he is guilty of sins, they will be pardoned."
"Confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, for the healing of your souls."
You are really improving on skirting questions!!!! You are beginning to show class!!!!
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#438347 May 7, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If Jews can't attain heaven without becoming Christian ... Jesus will be blocked from entry.
That is your own silly theology coming back to bite you in the butt.
If you want to object to "theology" with me, please stick to Catholic theology which has as it's foundation that Jesus is God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pope Francis announces June visit to Bosnia-Her... 4 hr meylib 1
Pope Francis under ISIS threat Sat Joe W 1
Transgender man: I met with Pope Francis Fri TerryE 1
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Jan 28 Married in 8,881
Pope's visit to stoke climate fight Jan 26 SpaceBlues 1
Pope says Catholics must practice a responsible... Jan 21 theidiotsareunited 3
More Jan 20 George 3
More from around the web