Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665419 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#437748 May 4, 2013
People who over-dose on biblical scriptures of their own desires (reflections), if they don't back off, can and have gone as daft as the prospectors that shut their selves off from others to in turn live secluded lives in the forests.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

Pierre Berton … Starting Out 1920-1947

Another event took place near us that summer – one that had all the elements of a scene from a B Western. A couple of miles upstream lived a crazed prospector. This was not as unusual as it sounds. Most men who lived alone, summer and winter, were at the very least daft. It was true not only of solitary miners but also of some partnerships, which often broke up because two men living together in a single cabin found they couldn’t stand one another. No winter in my childhood seemed to pass that Sergeant Cronkhite of the Mounted Police didn’t come into town with a miner in a strait-jacket on his sled.

I cannot remember the name of the crazed miner on Dominion, but I am safe in calling him crazed because of what happened. He had taken a definite dislike to George Fulton, the mail carrier, who drove his truck around the creeks once a week. To lure Fulton into a trap he spread some newspaper on the road, apparently in the belief that the mailman would stop to read them. Fulton took one look and jammed his foot on the accelerator as a series of bullets whizzed over his pick-up. The prospector barricaded himself in his cabin, and a gun battle followed with the Mounted Police. It ended when he was killed. We were told his body was riddled with bullets.
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#437749 May 4, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Clay"
How? Jehovahs are using Sola Scripture to debunk your Sola Scripture. You can't deny them their 'right' to figure out their own religion, just like the Pentecostals did!
Its like the game of tic tac toe. When Protestants beat each other over the head with scripture verses, there are no winners.
Its basically a free-for-all. There is no authority to determine who's interpretations are correct under the false doctrine of 'scripture alone'.
And Catholics don't beat anyone over the head? Oops...they don't use scripture, they use tradition. They don't count the scripture to be that important.
KayMarie
I know you read what I posted from the Catechism about our reverence for Scripture. It's very rude of you not to acknowledge it and apologize for your remarks.

Scripture is the written portion of Sacred Tradition.
The Catholic Church came before the Bible.
The Bible came from the Catholic Church.
The NT was written by the Catholic Church for the Catholic Church.
It's our pleasure to allow you to read it. You're welcome.

Do try to reign in your claws and fangs. "Aretha" (lol), doesn't like it.

;)
youtube

AOL

#437750 May 4, 2013

100% PROOF Pope Francis is ANTICHRIST_______

Since: Nov 08

usa

#437752 May 4, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
The pope was correct. I reject all religion, "including" his religion, and that means that I am an Atheist.
He rejected all other religion but his own, so he was certain that he was not an Atheist, and he was correct BUT he was not fair in allowing others to have their own opinions. He demanded that to be saved, all people must be of the Catholic faith.
The pope was not an Atheist ... but was he holy, or was he addicted to a dire need of controlling others to follow his own will?
nothing holy about the pope,considering they had to use fear,toture,and murder to get people to believe and follow the church,what does that tell us? sounds like controlling to me. the true church if it existed on earth,it would be known within peoples hearts,and that has never happened,we are told which church is the right church to go too by our ancestors/mother,father.you are guided by a holy spirit to the true church,you are told which one is the true one,puzzling thing is with so many different ones who is correct??

Prince George, Canada

#437753 May 4, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>nothing holy about the pope,considering they had to use fear,toture,and murder to get people to believe and follow the church,what does that tell us? sounds like controlling to me. the true church if it existed on earth,it would be known within peoples hearts,and that has never happened,we are told which church is the right church to go too by our ancestors/mother,father.you are guided by a holy spirit to the true church,you are told which one is the true one,puzzling thing is with so many different ones who is correct??
Religion is all ABOUT the quest to lure people into one's own cult.
Clay

Union, NJ

#437754 May 4, 2013
who="Clay"
How? Jehovahs are using Sola Scripture to debunk your Sola Scripture. You can't deny them their 'right' to figure out their own religion, just like the Pentecostals did!
Its like the game of tic tac toe. When Protestants beat each other over the head with scripture verses, there are no winners.
Its basically a free-for-all. There is no authority to determine who's interpretations are correct under the false doctrine of 'scripture alone'.
And Catholics don't beat anyone over the head? Oops...they don't use scripture, they use tradition. They don't count the scripture to be that important.
KayMarie
The more I dive into scripture, the more I see the Catholic faith. You guys have barely scratched the surface of the Bible.

I went to Holy Mass this morning and I thought allot about my Catholic faith. Its not easy being a Catholic in todays society. There is a silent persecution going on. Catholicism is not compatible with todays secular materialistic world. I embrace the ridicule directed at me and the Catholic Church because its the Church Christ started, and I wouldn't expect to be treated any different than Our Lord was.

Anyway, todays Gospel definitely struck a chord:

"If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it has hated you...... "If they persecuted me they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also"
Excerpts from John 15: 18-24

That about sums up what it means to be a Catholic in the Catholic Church.

usa

#437755 May 4, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
And you will never here a Catholic admit that they only use a portion of what Jesus taught.
Sounds like you are in the same boat as they are.
everyone is in the same boat,because not one group has the whole truth in front of them,constantine and his 100 men saw to that, by burning 20+ books which we have no idea what was written in them,most likely the contained evidence that the catholic church is as phony as a $3.00 bill.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#437756 May 4, 2013
who="Clay"
The more I dive into scripture, the more I see the Catholic faith. You guys have barely scratched the surface of the Bible.
I went to Holy Mass this morning and I thought allot about my Catholic faith. Its not easy being a Catholic in todays society. There is a silent persecution going on. Catholicism is not compatible with todays secular materialistic world. I embrace the ridicule directed at me and the Catholic Church because its the Church Christ started, and I wouldn't expect to be treated any different than Our Lord was.
"If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it has hated you...... "If they persecuted me they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also"
The Jehovah's Witnesses tell me exactly the same thing.
KayMarie

#437757 May 4, 2013
who="jethro8" everyone is in the same boat,because not one group has the whole truth in front of them,constantine and his 100 men saw to that, by burning 20+ books which we have no idea what was written in them,most likely the contained evidence that the catholic church is as phony as a $3.00 bill.

It would be interesting to know what was in those other books.

KayMarie

usa

#437758 May 4, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you read what I posted from the Catechism about our reverence for Scripture. It's very rude of you not to acknowledge it and apologize for your remarks.
Scripture is the written portion of Sacred Tradition.
The Catholic Church came before the Bible.
The Bible came from the Catholic Church.
The NT was written by the Catholic Church for the Catholic Church.
It's our pleasure to allow you to read it. You're welcome.
Do try to reign in your claws and fangs. "Aretha" (lol), doesn't like it.
;)
and the N T is all hearsay stories,not one writer ever met,saw,or witnessed anything jesus supposedly did,and they do not even know for sure jesus was real,and gods son or god in the flesh.

usa

#437759 May 4, 2013
who="jethro8" everyone is in the same boat,because not one group has the whole truth in front of them,constantine and his 100 men saw to that, by burning 20+ books which we have no idea what was written in them,most likely the contained evidence that the catholic church is as phony as a $3.00 bill.
KayMarie
it had to be something that scared the pagan/christian man made church.

usa

#437760 May 4, 2013
it's close to derby time,anyone have a favorite to win?

#437761 May 4, 2013
Someone said that Catholics never argue about scripture:

Conservative Christians protest gay group's Mass

Full story: ClickOnDetroit

A group representing gay Catholics is proceeding with plans to celebrate Mass on Sunday at Marygrove College in the face of appeals from a conservative Christian group that the Archdiocese of Detroit block the event, officials said Thursday.

KM
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#437764 May 4, 2013
Someone said that Catholics never argue about scripture:
Conservative Christians protest gay group's Mass
Full story: ClickOnDetroit
A group representing gay Catholics is proceeding with plans to celebrate Mass on Sunday at Marygrove College in the face of appeals from a conservative Christian group that the Archdiocese of Detroit block the event, officials said Thursday.
KM
They show up once a year at the Cathedral of Saint Paul to protest.
I don't understand your point here.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#437765 May 4, 2013
who="Clay"
The Jehovah's Witnesses tell me exactly the same thing.
KayMarie
The Jehovah's Witness are about a hundred yrs old. I don't think Christ was referring to them.
Come to think of it, how old is the Pentecostal movement?

Prince George, Canada

#437766 May 4, 2013
KayMarie
Anything other than what the popes ordained was not allowed as reading material was banned such as the following book.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

How many of the readers have ever heard of a group of people that practiced “Quietism?”

Michael Milinos was born in 1628, and later became what some termed a “spiritual mystic.” He wrote a book titled “The Spiritual Guide,” and it seems that he promoted some of the same ideas as today’s Quakers,(Friends).

On the cover of the book, it states …“So powerful was its influence on Europe that within 6 years of its release this book had been translated into every language in Western Europe. In Naples, Italy it was said that 20,000 Christians gathered in small groups to practice inward prayer.”

Also on the cover of the book, it states,“There have been more copies of this book burned than perhaps any other single Christian book ever published.”

Also on the book cover, are the following words …“Michael Molinos came closer to reforming the Catholic Church than any other single man in history, yet he ended up sealed in a dungeon, his book condemned. A man so controversial that even until today the Vatican will not release the transcript of his (secret) trial. Now for the first time this book appears in modern English. The first English language release in over a hundred years.

And on the book’s cover … Anyone found in possession of this book will be excommunicated.… Papal Decree … 1687
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#437767 May 4, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Work day for me. Bad weather is good for business! But I'm still going fishing in two weeks, ice should be out by then....;)
I was thinking about Lake Vermillion this year but I seriously doubt the ice will be off. Looks like its Clam Lake over in Wisconsin now. I think this May will be phenomenal for walleye and especially Crappie because nobody fished in April. I dunno.*fingers crossed*

Prince George, Canada

#437768 May 4, 2013
The popes demanded full control over other people's thinking. You will see from the pope's words of that era that Quietism would have rendered Catholic dogma as "useless."
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

CatholicCulture.Org

QUIETISM

General name for any view of spiritual life that minimizes human activity and moral responsibility. But more properly it refers to the theories of Miguel de Molinos (c. 1640-97) and François Fénelon (1651-1715), Archbishop of Cambrai. Its basic position is that, to become perfect, one must be totally passive, annihilate one's will and so totally abandon oneself to God that one cares for neither heaven nor hell. In prayer, the perfect soul make no acts of love or petition, nor even of adoration. Such total passivity makes mortification or the sacaraments useless. Sin becomes impossible to perfect souls. Quietism was condemned in the person of Molinos by Pope Innocent XI in 1687, and Fénelon by Innocent XII in1691.(Etym. Latin quietus, quiet, at rest, peaceful.)

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/librar ...

#437769 May 4, 2013
who="Clay"
The Jehovah's Witness are about a hundred yrs old. I don't think Christ was referring to them.
Come to think of it, how old is the Pentecostal movement?

At least as old as the day of Pentecost. It started in the Upper Room in Jerusalem.

KayMarie

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#437770 May 4, 2013
IN THE EARLY FOURTH CENTURY, A THEOLOGICAL CONTROVERSY BROKE OUT THAT THREATENED TO DERAIL THE CHRISTIAN FAITH. ARIUS taught that the Son of God had a beginning and was a created being. The controversy threatened deeply to divide the Christian Church, and in so doing to imperil the unity of the Roman Empire.

EMPEROR CONSTANTINE convened an ecumenical council of the entire Church. AROUND 220 BISHOPS ATTENDED, MOSTLY FROM THE EASTERN CHURCHES. ONLY AROUND EIGHT OFFICIALS CAME FROM WESTERN CHURCHES - ROME SENT ONLY TWO PRESBYTERS.

DEFENDERS OF ORTHODOXY
Primary Defender of the Faith Athanasius (Alexandria, Egypt) Other Defenders: Nicholas Bishop of Myra (Demre, part of modern-day Turkey in Lycia) ST. Alexander (St. Alexander, Bishop of Alexandria, Egypt) ALL FROM THE EAST

THE COUNCIL DREW UP A CREED, THE ORIGINAL NICENE CREED, which received nearly unanimous support. THE COUNCIL'S DESCRIPTION OF "GOD'S ONLY-BEGOTTEN SON", JESUS CHRIST, AS OF THE SAME SUBSTANCE WITH GOD THE FATHER became a touchstone of Christian Trinitarianism.

ATHANASIUS WAS NOT ALLOWED TO SIT IN ON THE COUNCIL EITHER SINCE HE WAS ONLY A DEACON. YET, CLEARLY IT WAS ATHANASIUS WHO DID THE LEGWORK AND CONCLUDED (AS BISHOP ALEXANDER CONVEYED IN THE TRINITARIAN DEFENSE) THAT THE SON WAS OF THE SAME ESSENCE (HOMOOUSIOS) THAN THE FATHER AND WAS GENERATED FROM THAT ESSENCE OF THE FATHER

When the council convened, those in the Arian camp spoke their side. Since Arius was not a bishop but merely a presbyter, he was not allowed to sit in on the meetings. The Arian view was presented by Eusebius of Nicodemia, who was quite confident that once the Arian view was clearly and logically stated, the Council would overwhelmingly vote for them. They stated how the Son was created out of nothing from the Father and different in nature and essence from the Father (heteroousious). Yet, their reaction to this was not off acceptance, but considered blasphemous. Gonzalez states that,“Eusebius was shouted down,... his speech snatched from his hand, torn to shreds, and trampled underfoot.”[20]

THE COUNCIL DECIDED OVERWHELMINGLY IN FAVOR OF ATHANASIUS, THUS SECURING FOR ORTHODOXY THE VIEW OF BOTH THE NATURE AND SUBSTANCE OF CHRIST — OF THE SAME ESSENCE AS THE FATHER, YET A DISTINCT PERSON IN THE GODHEAD.

Although he presided over the council, it is an exaggeration to claim that Constantine controlled the direction of the Council of Nicea,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Catholic schools being closed at alarming rate (Apr '08) 10 hr stfu 159
News Pope Francis's Visit to Turkey Embroiled in Par... (Dec '14) Dec 3 Azat 2
News As election nears, Pope Francis warns against f... Dec 1 Communist In A Dress 20
News Region's Catholic bishop welcomes Pope's stance... Nov 30 Cops are degenerates 35
News Franklin Graham rebuts pope on Islam: - This is... Nov 29 narako 2
News Free Presbyterians 'will protest' Pope's visit Nov 29 narako 1
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Nov 29 Married in 10,375
More from around the web