Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 579,119
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Read more

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#437479 May 3, 2013
chuck wrote:
Christ is the bread of life...correct? His body was sacrificed for the sins of the world ...correct?
If we partake/believe in Christ and His sacrifice, we may have eternal life.
Children's church stuff Danny.
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Eating bread does not constitute partaking in Christ nor His sacrifice.
It's just eating bread, as Jesus wasn't made of bread.
Agreed that this is at a "children's church" level.
And neither does a wafer that is blessed by a man.

Your belief is just as invalid.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#437480 May 3, 2013
333 090
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
A. Cite your sources.
B. "Catholic" means universal. When Christ said "build His Church", it meant He wanted them to go out and preach to "all nations", to build it up to be the "universal Church". By the time of St. Ignatius's writing, the apostles had accomplished much of this "all nation preaching" and the term Catholic became the name of His Church.
B.(?) The Church at Rome is mentioned specifically by St. Paul. The Catholic Church is not a denomination.
"The first denomination (Catholic) was put together by the emperor some 300 to 400 years after Christ made His declaration...its foundation was paganism....not Peter!!!!!.."
Wrong. The first mention of the Catholic Church is by St. Ignatius writing in AD 110. He used the name in a manner which suggests it was already well known. The foundation of the Catholic Church is Jesus. He told St. Peter he was the rock on which He will build His Church and appointed him as it's earthly leader (see the bible). Sts. Peter and Paul founded the Church at Rome and were both martyred there. St. Paul says the faith of the Church at Rome is renowned throughout the whole world.
Its a new Book that you evidently don't have yet....Its call "Bible". I suggest you get one and get some one who understands words from the Holy Spirit to explain it to you:

B. Show me Scripture that refers to these churches, referred to in Revelation, as Catholic denominations....which would show a fallible Bible!!!!
Quote:
Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write;
And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write
And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write;
And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write
And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write
And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write;
And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write

Show me Scripture that refutes the Truth from the Word of God as quoted above.

During these 300 to 400 years there were no Christian denominations..such as the RCC....all that was, as the Bible teaches, were Christians....

The first denomination (Catholic) was put together by the emperor some 300 to 400 years after Christ made His declaration...its foundation was paganism....not Peter!!!!!...

Neither Catholic" nor "catholic" nor "universal" nor Universal" are in the definition of the Greek word from which "church" was translated: a calling out, i.e.(concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both):--assembly

I see no record where Romans, for some 300 to 400 years,put any Catholic in the arena filled with wild animals...this was a favorite sport for the Romans in those days...because there were no Catholics available!!!!

Your most famous seminar, Hollywood, has made several Catholic Training documentaries depicting just that...

You are denying the teaching of your own NABre...pope approved!!!!!

quote:Jesus’ church means the community that he will gather and that, like a building, will have Peter as its solid foundation. That function of Peter consists in his being witness to Jesus as the Messiah, the Son of the living God.

There is nothing said that remotely sounds like Catholic!!!!
Dan

Omaha, NE

#437481 May 3, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think Jesus' time on the cross - was "murder", an "assisted suicide" or some other act?
One needs to realize what specific action is taking place because of this occurrence. If one does not represent it correctly, then one goes on believing in somethign that may not have really happened in the way they learned.
If one is to use the Gospel of Judas as an "inside process" to what actually happened - it actually appears the following occurred:
a. Jesus chooses his followers
b. Judas volunteers to do Jesus bidding
c. Jesus acknowledges Judas as "greatest of them all"
d. Judas completes his Master's bidding
e. Jesus is sent to the cross to die
"Assisted suicide" seems to fit this with the most plausibility.
But if we take the allegoric meaning of his "resurrection and the 40 days afterwards, Jesus shows the world that when he died, our Spirit still lived and if we as humans continue to love each other without hate, we too can achieve what he tried to show us.
Why don't you believe Jesus?
You are Jesus?

You offer your interpretation of a gnostic gospel and imply that if one doesn't accept your interpretation, they don't believe Jesus.
Religion - A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#437482 May 3, 2013
God created mankind.

God gave mankind the Bible.

Yet this board is proof that the Bible spawns disagreement and even hatred., because it is so unclear.

Thus.........

God wants us to bicker and fight, just like here.

Albuquerque, NM

#437483 May 3, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It will, because I won't answer it.
Self.
No, it doesn't go away.

All you have done is just chosen to avoid it, but in truth, it is still within your own mind, sitting there - in all its glory.

Self.

Albuquerque, NM

#437484 May 3, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
You have wedding ceremonies in the pentecostal community no? Your preachers have certain requirements for the couples, i.e., he verifies they aren't married to someone else, they're sincere in their desire to wed, etc.?
Why do you believe a pentesoctal preacher can make certain determinations and the Catholic Church can't? And quit making assumptions as to someone's guilt before you know the real story. No one exonerated anyone, people are turned down in their anullment applications all the time.
The Pentecostal preacher does not consider a Catholic marriage to be invalid.
KM
The choice of words one uses for "marriage" should be the main focus.

Catholicism considers marriage as a sacrament, other sects don't, but just an action that takes place between two people.

But if one is to reference your statement of:
"The Pentecostal preacher does not consider a Catholic marriage to be invalid."

A Pentecostal preacher does not consider a same sex mariage to be valid, yet it is in 10 states.

You are now starting to sound hypocritical - based upon qualifiers.

Self.

Albuquerque, NM

#437485 May 3, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are sounding pedantic.
Why do you dismiss the "small facts"?

Yet you will consider other minute details as important.

Dismissing the semantics only goes to show you don't understand what you are trying to convey.

Self.
marge

Ames, IA

#437486 May 3, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>

As to what I would find "reasonable" in context of my discourse with Marge, I'm sure that Marge finds it within reason that Christ can save her from her and the rest of mankind from sin, could change water into wine, could raise Lazarus from the dead, Himself be resurrected from the dead, is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent etc.
Given all this, she now proclaims (sans rationale) that it's "unreasonable" for Christians to believe that He can be fully present in the Eucharist, despite His repeated promise that He would be and His repeated instructions for us to partake in Him in that manner for our salvation.
What? So you believe that's how your saved? By partaking in communion and literally eating His flesh and blood?

wowie i don't know what to say...really?

Albuquerque, NM

#437487 May 3, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
"Basically", I believe it's your burden to establish that Christ in fact promised or offered "to know yourself is to know the kingdom of God" as a prime directive or command. I would ask you to establish this premise first prior to demanding my response to your questions about it.
My burden to prove an ancient document is something spoken by Jesus?

No, my burden is to show the facts that the RCC is not the sole organization for someone to be saved. That bologna is propogated in a false preaching by the RCC.

But will you do the same that you ask of me, with any of the NT texts - prove that they were also viable commands of Jesus? Probably not, huh? But you'll go on believing them as they are, and totally disregard those other texts that MEN HAVE DECIDED FOR YOU TO NOT BELIEVE.

imo - Your statement above is very typical of someone who hasn't researched their religion prior to joining (or never ventured outside of it all their life).
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
As to what I would find "reasonable" in context of my discourse with Marge, I'm sure that Marge finds it within reason that Christ can save her from her and the rest of mankind from sin, could change water into wine, could raise Lazarus from the dead, Himself be resurrected from the dead, is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent etc.
Do you always believe everything you read?

Oh wait - your rebuttal will be "faith", huh?

Where as it should be - Self.
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Given all this, she now proclaims (sans rationale) that it's "unreasonable" for Christians to believe that He can be fully present in the Eucharist, despite His repeated promise that He would be and His repeated instructions for us to partake in Him in that manner for our salvation.
Only in your mind is where this resides.

Nothing more or nothing less.

Yes Dan, this is Self.
marge

Ames, IA

#437488 May 3, 2013
And one must 'believe''its''literally' Jesus's flesh, or it doesn't count as 'faith' and one can't be saved.

Do i have this catholic teaching correct?
scarab

San Antonio, TX

#437489 May 3, 2013
There is only One God.

The Sun God.

RA RA RA
Just sayin

Antioch, TN

#437490 May 3, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
[who="Just sayin"
When Jesus said "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing", He meant that unless you recieve His words on a spiritual plane you can't accept them since your thinking is merely carnal...of the flesh. He meant that it takes faith to accept His teaching.
I can't believe you actually think Jesus' Flesh profits nothing.
And I can't believe you actually think that Jesus' Flesh was somehow at war with His Spirit.
Flesh is flesh. Jesus resisted His flesh to death. He said that if we would follow Him, we would 'deny self'(flesh). He did not struggle to 'save' His flesh.
KM
When Jesus said the flesh profits nothing He was not talking about HIS flesh.

When Jesus said "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing", He meant that unless you recieve His words on a spiritual plane you can't accept them since your thinking is merely carnal...of the flesh. He meant that it takes faith to accept His teaching.

It takes faith to believe He meant what He said and He said "take and eat, this is my body."

Albuquerque, NM

#437491 May 3, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
How does assertion of this very clear doctrine constitute the "misleading" of anyone?
Also, please point out where I indicated that this doctrine constituted "the fullness of Jesus"? I don't recall having stated that.
You've yet to prove it to be clear.

You've only give your interpretation of the ritual.

Rituals are conducted by an individual by choice - Self.

Avoiding the facts is why you are argumentive.

By accepting these facts, your arguments become null.

Albuquerque, NM

#437492 May 3, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You are Jesus?
You offer your interpretation of a gnostic gospel and imply that if one doesn't accept your interpretation, they don't believe Jesus.
Correction to your assertive question.

I can become like Jesus - he said so.

I didn't ask you to believe me.

But that is irrelevant to me posting my beliefs that completely contradict what you believe.

Sounds to me that the HS is guiding me and not you.

Bummer for you.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#437493 May 3, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't answer the question - yet again.
Why do you want people to die?
BTW - if you will look at the world we live in, there are many changes that are occurring - many of whcih are focussed on a change to how we perceive and think things should be.
So - for this "consciousness change" - and to be more encompassing in the world, people are leaving these old beliefs and realizing that as information is uncovered, the old beliefs are not as true as the followers think.
Self.
"Why do you want people to die?"

i think a more appropriate question is; why would you accuse me of such a thing and seek to slander my reputation?

"thou shall not bear false witness"

to the rest of your new age mumbo-jumbo i have One Word:

JESUS

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#437494 May 3, 2013
[QUOTE who="New Age Spiritual Leader
I can become like Jesus - he said so.
[/QUOTE]

Even if Jesus existed, why would anyone want to follow the leader of a cult who told them that only through belief in him could they find salvation?

He would have been no better than any other scam artist theologian with a smooth line of foolishness.

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#437495 May 3, 2013
scarab wrote:
There is only One God.
The Sun God.
RA RA RA
Don't forget the moon god.

:)
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

"Sīn, moon god of Semitic origin, worshiped in ancient Middle Eastern religions. One of the principal deities in the Babylonian and Assyrian pantheons, he was lord of the calendar and of wisdom. The chief centers of his worship were at Harran and at Ur, where he was known as Nanna." ( encyclopedia.com , Sīn)

http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-photos-moon-w ...

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#437496 May 3, 2013
Religion - A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, like Jesus said, "soon."
Some of the original Apostles must still be alive today too.
How silly!
Sorry Charlie, if the Bible was given to us by our creator, yet we the creation can't agree on what the heck it means (see this board), then something is amiss.
All of mankind's gods are imaginary, including yours.
"soon" means different things in different context. in the context of eternity, 2,000 plus years is VERY SOON!

"a thousand years is as a day and a day is as a thousand years with the Lord"

there are millions who agree on what the heck the crucial points of the Bible mean. all one needs is Jn 3:16 to have the premise.

as they say in the unbelieving culture - good luck!:)
truth

Perth, Australia

#437497 May 3, 2013
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#437498 May 3, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
333 090
<quoted text>
A. Cite your sources.

B. "Catholic" means universal. When Christ said "build His Church", it meant He wanted them to go out and preach to "all nations", to build it up to be the "universal Church". By the time of St. Ignatius's writing, the apostles had accomplished much of this "all nation preaching" and the term Catholic became the name of His Church.

B.(?) The Church at Rome is mentioned specifically by St. Paul. The Catholic Church is not a denomination.

"The first denomination (Catholic) was put together by the emperor some 300 to 400 years after Christ made His declaration...its foundation was paganism....not Peter!!!!!.."

Wrong. The first mention of the Catholic Church is by St. Ignatius writing in AD 110. He used the name in a manner which suggests it was already well known. The foundation of the Catholic Church is Jesus. He told St. Peter he was the rock on which He will build His Church and appointed him as it's earthly leader (see the bible). Sts. Peter and Paul founded the Church at Rome and were both martyred there. St. Paul says the faith of the Church at Rome is renowned throughout the whole world.

Per St. Ignatius;

"See that ye all follow the bishop, even as Christ Jesus does the Father, and the presbytery as ye would the apostles. Do ye also reverence the deacons, as those that carry out the appointment of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude also be; by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church." Ignatius of Antioch, Epistle to the Smyrneans, 8:2 (c. A.D. 110).

Sounds like a Church that had been well established by the time he wrote this....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 9 hr Mr Sir 9,036
News Obamas to host Pope Francis at White House Sept... 18 hr barefoot2626 35
News Allah is great.... (Jul '13) Sat YaWay 173
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Mar 25 swedenforever 32
News Pope finds popularity and dissent at 2-year mark Mar 22 ELIAS IBARRA 4
News Was Obama right about the Crusades and Islamic ... Mar 17 barefoot2626 2,030
News Francis expects short papacy Mar 16 ELIAS IBARRA 2
More from around the web