Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 654412 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

marge

Leesburg, GA

#437643 May 4, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
This seems controversial?
Obey Christ's teachings, partake in Him to be saved?
"wowie" indeed if you think this is something revelatory.
A 'works' gospel may be controversial to you but it's a plain old false gospel to me, since Salvation is a gift.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#437644 May 4, 2013
Preachers of many religions are right up front about the idea that a god or gods love them and will in the end of times reject others.

They aren't even ashamed of such blatant arrogance.

They just keep on preaching without so much as a new thought being allowed to enter.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#437645 May 4, 2013
Ella wrote:
Catholic - pertaining to the Church of Rome: n. a member of the Universal or Catholic Church, or of the Roman Church
Romanism - the doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church
Romanist - an adherent of the Church of Rome
Roman Catholic - pertaining to the Church of Rome, of which the Pope is head: a member of the Church of Rome
Roman Catholicism - the doctrines and practices of the Roman Church of which the Pope is head. This Church claims apostolic succession through St. Peter, and holds that it alone is the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church: its principal tenets are papal supremacy and infallibility, celibacy of the clergy, the seven sacraments, purgatory, the immaculate conception of the Virgin Mary, the invocation of the saints, and, above all, the Mass, which, it asserts, is the true sacrifice of the Body and Blood of Christ.
Source: The New Universities Webster Dictionary
Now compare this with the Word of God and you will see the doctrinal errors......
What happened to the Apostles and where are their remains today?

Peter - crucified upside down -- buried at Saint Peters Basilica Catholic Church, Rome

James the Greater - stabbed in 44 AD - buried Saint James Catholic Church in Compostela, Spain

Thaddeus (Jude)- executed by firing squad (arrows)- buried in Rome at Saint Peter's Basilica.

Phillip - Crucified - buried at the (Catholic) Church of the Dadici, Rome

Thomas - stabbed with a spear - buried at Cathedral of Saint Thomas Catholic Church, Mylapore, India

Mathew - Crucified in Judea - buried at Saint Mathews Cathedral, Catholic Church in Messina, Sicily

James the Less, first Bishop of Jerusalem 50AD- stoned to death 65 AD - buried at Holy Apostles Catholic Basilica, Rome

John - died a natural death - buried at Basilica of Saint John, Ephesus, Turkey

Paul - Beheaded in Rome - buried at Saint Paul's Catholic Church in Rome.

Simon - stabbed with a sword - buried at the Alter of the Crucifixion, Vatican.

Bartholomew - Crucified - buried at Saint Bartholomew Catholic Church in Rome.

Andrew - Crucified on X shaped cross - buried at Cathedral of Amalfi Catholic Church, Italy

Matthias - Crucified in Judea - buried at Abbey of Saint Matthias, Trier, Germany

Judas - suicide - remains unknown
marge

Leesburg, GA

#437646 May 4, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Really.
"53 Jesus said to them,“Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”
Christ seemed VERY emphatic on the matter, did He not?
63"The Spirit alone gives eternal life. Human effort accomplishes nothing. And the very words I have spoken to you are spirit and life."

Emphatic that the Spirit alone gives eternal life.
Religion - A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#437647 May 4, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
If we expressed every sentiment that we felt about others to their face, my guess is, we would not have a person in the world talking to us on a friendly basis.
From my perspective, we often don't like what we see in others, because their natures are reflections about what we don't approve of in our selves ... self-interests being the primal nature of all animals.
Yep. The problem with many people is they're too much like me.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#437648 May 4, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
Hello Friends.
I will be posting, but I make it clear that I will neither read nor respond to any Catholic Posts here. Since none has the courage to act as an individual but all herd together like dogs when one attacks, I believe I am justified in linking them all together. They lie, twist what is said, insult, verbally abuse. change history, and demean others with arrogance. No dialogue with them is ever fruitful. I do not cast aspersions on Catholicism but do on these Catholics here for their behavior. They bring shame on their Church.
Nonsense Herm. We do a remarkable job of defending our faith against false accusations. 90% of the time its respectful too.

If we Catholics leave, Old G, Confrint and the crew will surround you and tear you apart, because you would be the closest thing to the Catholic Church .. Then when they are done with you, they'll turn on each other, starting with the weakest first.
Religion - A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#437649 May 4, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion confuses people.
Observe the words of this grandmother who believed with all her might that she had to change her grandson into a heterosexual so he would be allowed in "heaven" with "her."
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>
A grandmother shared her heart-breaking story on television. She wanted others to learn from what she believed was her mistake.
She told of her “previous” strict religious indoctrination, that if people were gay they would burn in hell in the hereafter.
When her grandson, whom she adored, came to her and told her he was gay, she was full of fear. She dragged him from one minister to another, who told him that if he did not change his ways, he would not be in heaven.
The grandson begged his grandmother over and over to not try to change him. He tried to convince her that he could not change who he was, but she was so filled with fear for his eternal soul, she paid him no heed.
He took his own life.
She was sobbing with emotion, and said, that if she had it to do over again … just as he was, she would have accepted him. She said she was SO sorry!
What a tough lesson for that poor woman.
Yep, a sad story. There is little of Jesus' love and acceptance in the religions spouted here. It's all about the ritual is correct.

Imagine - some buffoon of a god caring about rituals more than virtue!

Many here seem joyful at the thought of others being tortured for all eternity by their angry, little imaginary god.

For their welfare, maybe it's best that all of mankind's gods are imaginary.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#437650 May 4, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
A 'works' gospel may be controversial to you but it's a plain old false gospel to me, since Salvation is a gift.
Do you follow the Gospel of Matthias? He was an Apostle of the Lord. How come you don't think it belonged in the Bible?
marge

Leesburg, GA

#437651 May 4, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Different passage.
Yes, the passage above means that one is to partake with the understanding that it is His body and blood.
then what is the passage about 'clean hands' if not the examine yourselves one?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#437652 May 4, 2013
There is tremendous confusion concerning the early "lists" of the bishops of Rome. As simple as it may sound, the reason is easily discovered: no one really cared for the first century of the history of the church at Rome. All the lists come from at the earliest many decades later, and show a concern that did not arise until the Church as a whole began struggling with heresy and began formulating concepts of authority to use against heretics. But in those first decades, even into the middle of the second century, no one was particularly concerned about who the bishop of Rome was. Why? Because no one had the concepts that Rome now presents as "ancient." No one thought the bishop of any one church was above any other, or that the bishop of Rome was somehow invested with any particular authority.
In the late 2nd or early 3rd cent. the tradition identified Peter as the first bishop of Rome. This was a natural development once the monarchical episcopate, i.e., government of the local church by a single bishop as distinct from a group of presbyter-bishops, finally emerged in Rome in the mid-2nd cent.(p. 6).
When speaking of Linus, Anacletus, Clement, Evaristus, Alexander, Telesphorus, and Hyginus (to A.D. 142), there was no monarchical episcopate in Rome at this time! Only with Hyginus the monarchical episcopate is beginning to emerge, and does so with Pius 1, 142-155 A.D.

What does this mean? Well, it's pretty hard for there to be an exercise of "papal authority" when there is no papacy! The primitive form of church government found in Rome is the biblical one: a plurality of elders.
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#437653 May 4, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
From my perception your main hobby IS your Christian religion ... where you now look down the mountain that you believe you climbed and assess others as not being as wise as you who was wise enough to join the Christian religion.
You would be better off at the bottom of the mountain with me, where we could discuss how our own characters need remodeling and how the arrogance that comes in the package of religion can't do that FOR us.
June VanDerMark:

From your perspective, it may be a long way to the top of the mountain, and I am far away. And I think religion can be a hobby. And I think to much of anything, is not a temperate way of living, even being on Topix. What do you think?

Discussion is good when it is profitable, but many words so often drown out the message, don't you think so?

Prince George, Canada

#437654 May 4, 2013
Religion - A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Many here seem joyful at the thought of others being tortured for all eternity by their angry, little imaginary god.
The fact is they get their needs met by this belief. If their needs were not met, they wouldn't put their faith in such dogmas.

They are ghouls in the guises of serving gods.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#437655 May 4, 2013
who="Dust Storm"
Oddly enough Jesus knew that we would. Oddly enough those Corinthians who didnt need to partake and just have a picnic lunch on occasion were getting sick and dying for partaking. It was all symbolic I guess. Paul was bored one day and so thought he would make some stuff up? No Paul was chastizing the Corinthians who were being just like you. However we know that you are the final word on everything in the bible.
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.

Paul scolded the Corinthians because a rich man with his steak and potatoes sat at the table with a man who had bread and water, and did not share his meal with his brother. Read it and see.

We don't have a picnic lunch, thank you. We seriously 'eat the bread, and drink from the cup' reverently...and examine ourselves while doing so.

KayMarie

Prince George, Canada

#437656 May 4, 2013
<quoted text>
Yep, a sad story. There is little of Jesus' love
Had Jesus lived his character would not have been about being faithful or about anything associated with truth or kindness.

He would have simply been a traitor to Judaism, who wanted to start a new religion called Catholicism.

By his silence he would supported his father who in the theology created evil.

He would have by his silence agreed that his father had every right to send offenders to burn in hell ... after ALL things ... promising his children the gift of free will.

The dogmas are ludicrous from the get-go, but such is the power of religious indoctrination that holds minds in total bondage to theology within the cults.

Prince George, Canada

#437657 May 4, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June VanDerMark:
From your perspective, it may be a long way to the top of the mountain, and I am far away. And I think religion can be a hobby. And I think to much of anything, is not a temperate way of living, even being on Topix. What do you think?
Discussion is good when it is profitable, but many words so often drown out the message, don't you think so?
Messages not received are always ignored.

We tend to dig deep ruts in our minds when we are certain we own truth ... and that is the danger of religion.

I comprehend that I don't know the future, so it is not on my agenda to fight about what it will or won't be, as I realize it will be whatever it will be, and I have no control over that issue.

We can't learn new things by keeping on repeating (preaching) the old things, such as the ongoing sermons of supposed "gospel truth."

Such nonsense is plain silly.
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#437658 May 4, 2013
<quoted text>
Are you telling the truth?
Your words again -- "I know of a woman, a newcomer, immigrant, raped and murdered, but was ignored, and covered up, in order to "preserve" the peace of the community. No investigation. She was a friend."
A friend of yours? Raped and murdered? And you don't go to the police!!!
Shouldn't someone contact Topix, so the police can be called?
Why not do the right and moral thing and contact the authorities?
This is amazing. I think you are lying, but on the outside chance you are not -- what would be the right thing to do?
What would be the "Christian" thing to do for every religious person on this board?
Religion - A Delusion

Was I telling the truth?

A poor, older woman, dead on the living room floor with the tv on loud, with her panties down to her knees. The police were called, by her "boyfriend" who disappeared, and the police saw, as well as the doctor/coroner. This is America. Wake up. It goes on everyday.

The Christian thing to do?

Mourn, accept, remember and pray.

Justice is for the wealthy in this country, or for those with a voice, not the marginalized, and silenced.

Prince George, Canada

#437659 May 4, 2013
<quoted text>
For their welfare, maybe it's best that all of mankind's gods are imaginary.
Preachers don't want to see that comparison. They demand that their own gods are REAL and other gods are false.

If they didn't take that defensive stance, they couldn't defend their own dogmas as being based on truth ... and that is their total AIM.

Prince George, Canada

#437660 May 4, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion - A Delusion
Was I telling the truth?
A poor, older woman, dead on the living room floor with the tv on loud, with her panties down to her knees. The police were called, by her "boyfriend" who disappeared, and the police saw, as well as the doctor/coroner. This is America. Wake up. It goes on everyday.
The Christian thing to do?
Mourn, accept, remember and pray.
Justice is for the wealthy in this country, or for those with a voice, not the marginalized, and silenced.
How silly!

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#437661 May 4, 2013
who="June VanDerMark" Harry Truman was a Christian who was President of the United States.
When he ordered the bombs to be dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, to save the lives of his own American troops that ended the war, he at least didn't state that a god had ordained his decision. He took it upon his own self as being responsible.
From my perspective, he was doing what a President was hired to do, which was protecting his own people from further attack by the Japanese, who were intent on violence against the United States.
Of course it's not moral to kill ... but I'm sure the American people of that era were relieved rather than appalled.
Let's get real and stop being silly over religious nonsense about "morality."
So-called morality comes and goes with each new situation put before us.

Harry Truman did his job...as did the O.T. characters...to save the innocents.

Our culture is in deep trouble today...ready to clear Gosnell for murdering helpless innocents...or ignore him so that they can continue the practice of abortion. A court recently spoke defensively of a man who raped and killed a six month old girl. They said that, while he meant to rape her, he didn't intend to kill her.(Poor fellow! Don't you pity him?)

The outrages keep getting worse because we are 'too good' to exercise capital punishment, which instills the fear of God and fear of justice in those who would do such things.

Why should those characters meet less 'judgment' than they gave to those helpless ones? Several hundred babies are disposed of each day in America because they are 'unwanted'...useless in the eyes of their mothers.

Why should our nation fall further into a moral cesspool?

But people like you choose to blame the Bible...

KayMarie

Prince George, Canada

#437662 May 4, 2013
I watched a program about a Catholic family in Medicine Hat Alberta, whose daughter at twelve years of age joined the Goth movement. She was a head-strong girl who decided she wanted to move in with her Goth boyfriend, age of twenty-three. When her parents tried to correct her, she told her boyfriend she wanted them dead, and so her boyfriend came with a knife, killed the mother first, then the father, and then she watched as her boyfriend stabbed to death her eight-year-old brother.

It's difficult for some people to believe that a twelve-year-old girl could want her way to such an extent ... but I don't put that behavior down to the lure of a devil. That is simply a child that wants what she wants ... and nobody, but nobody is going to get in her way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Aug 27 Truthmakeyafreebaby 10,208
News Pope Francis wades into transgender debate, lam... Aug 24 South Knox Hombre 2
News Pope Francis' Remarks Disappoint Gay and Transg... Aug 4 Leon 2
News The Pope s War Aug 2 The Proclaimer 1
News Franklin Graham rebuts pope on Islam: - This is... Aug 1 Bob 1
News Pope Francis: 'Trump is not Christian' (Feb '16) Jul '16 make Donald Drump... 47
News Holding the left responsible (Sep '15) Jul '16 Crusader 4
More from around the web