Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
421,601 - 421,620 of 538,462 Comments Last updated 4 min ago

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
COME QUICKLY LORD JESUS!!!
Master of nothing but empty-headed theology.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

marge wrote:
As they were eating, Jesus took some bread and blessed it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, "Take this and eat it, for this is my body."
And brake it - This "breaking" of the bread represented the sufferings of Jesus about to take place - his body "broken" or wounded for sin. Hence, Paul 1 Corinthians 11:24 adds, "This is my body which is broken for you;" that is, which is about to be broken for you by death, or wounded, pierced, bruised, to make atonement for your sins.
This is my body - This represents my body. This broken bread shows the manner in which my body will be broken; or this will serve to recall my dying sufferings to your remembrance. It is not meant that his body would be literally "broken" as the bread was, but that the bread would be a significant emblem or symbol to recall to their recollection his sufferings. It is not improbable that our Lord pointed to the broken bread, or laid his hands on it, as if he had said, "Lo, my body!" or, "Behold my body!- that which "represents" my broken body to you." This "could not" be intended to mean that that bread was literally his body. It was not. His body was then before them "living." And there is no greater absurdity than to imagine his "living body" there changed at once to a "dead body," and then the bread to be changed into that dead body, and that all the while the "living" body of Jesus was before them.
Christ said "this is my body", multiple times in scripture.

We can read. That's what He said.

Why subject us to whoever's tortured logic you pasted here as to why He didn't mean what He said, clearly, many times?

I love the part where the author of this tripe claims that it would be an "absurdity" for Christ to keep His promise to us that it is indeed His body. Wonder what other limits they'd place on God?
Just sayin

Antioch, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
The Eucharist is a true sacrifice, not just a commemorative meal, as "Bible Christians" insist. The first Christians knew that it was a sacrifice and proclaimed this in their writings. They recognized the sacrificial character of Jesus’ instruction, "Do this in remembrance of me" (Touto poieite tan eman anamnasin; Luke 22:19, 1 Cor. 11:24–25) which is better translated "Offer this as my memorial offering."
Thus, Protestant early Church historian J. N. D. Kelly writes that in the early Church "the Eucharist was regarded as the distinctively Christian sacrifice.... Malachi’s prediction (1:10–11) that the Lord would reject Jewish sacrifices and instead would have "a pure offering" made to him by the Gentiles in every place was seized upon by Christians as a prophecy of the Eucharist. TheDidache indeed actually applies the term thusia, or sacrifice, to the Eucharist....
"It was natural for early Christians to think of the Eucharist as a sacrifice. The fulfillment of prophecy demanded a solemn Christian offering, and the rite itself was wrapped in the sacrificial atmosphere with which our Lord invested the Last Supper. The words of institution,‘Do this’(touto poieite), must have been charged with sacrificial overtones for second-century ears; Justin at any rate understood them to mean,‘Offer this.’... The bread and wine, moreover, are offered ‘for a memorial (eis anamnasin) of the passion,’ a phrase which in view of his identification of them with the Lord’s body and blood implies much more than an act of purely spiritual recollection" (J. N. D. Kelly, Early Christian Doctrines [Full Reference], 196–7).
The Didache
"Assemble on the Lord’s day, and break bread and offer the Eucharist; but first make confession of your faults, so that your sacrifice may be a pure one. Anyone who has a difference with his fellow is not to take part with you until he has been reconciled, so as to avoid any profanation of your sacrifice [Matt. 5:23–24]. For this is the offering of which the Lord has said,‘Everywhere and always bring me a sacrifice that is undefiled, for I am a great king, says the Lord, and my name is the wonder of nations’[Mal. 1:11, 14]" (Didache 14 [A.D. 70]).
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/the-sacrifice-...
It's no coincidence that the Lord's Supper was instituted during the Passover meal. It helps to understand the Jewish tradition of the entire Passover celebration in order to better appreciate the fact of the Real Presence in Eucharist. Witnessing the death/sacrifice of Jesus on the cross in light of how they understood the Passover meal (being Jews), made it clear to the apostles that Jesus is the True Lamb, the One Sacrifice who takes away the sins of the world.
What did the Jews do with the Passover lamb? They ATE it.
How is it that this can be overlooked or dismissed as incidental is beyond me.
How can the fulfilment of a promise be less substantial than the promise itself?
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

DS, you wrote:

[The Didache

"Assemble on the Lord’s day, and break bread and offer the Eucharist; but first make confession of your faults, so that your sacrifice may be a pure one. Anyone who has a difference with his fellow is not to take part with you until he has been reconciled, so as to avoid any profanation of your sacrifice [Matt. 5:23–24]. For this is the offering of which the Lord has said,‘Everywhere and always bring me a sacrifice that is undefiled, for I am a great king, says the Lord, and my name is the wonder of nations’[Mal. 1:11, 14]" (Didache 14 [A.D. 70]).]

How can you say 'your sacrifice' or my sacrifice, when its all about His sacrifice???
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The word theology means to study ALL religions, not just your own from inside your own cult.
If you studied all religions, you would see that your own is only special to you, as other religions are equally special to others.
Actually, no, it doesn't mean "all religions". One can study all religions, but that doesn't make a Hindi theologian less than a theologian if he restricts his study to Hinduism.

I'm not sure why you continue to tell us that adherents of a particular religion feel that it's actually special to them. This isn't a bulletin, June. It's like wasting keystrokes to tell us water is wet.
chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ said "this is my body", multiple times in scripture.
We can read. That's what He said.
Why subject us to whoever's tortured logic you pasted here as to why He didn't mean what He said, clearly, many times?
I love the part where the author of this tripe claims that it would be an "absurdity" for Christ to keep His promise to us that it is indeed His body. Wonder what other limits they'd place on God?
What did Christ mean when He said gouge your eye out if it causes you to sin?

I can read. That's what He said.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

who="June VanDerMark"
They so much desire to believe they are special and saved, they can't get beyond their own voracious lusts.
Low self-esteem makes them extremely dependent on religious nonsense that they keep churning around and around in their imaginations.
LOL You say that Christians believe that they are special...then turn right around and say that they have low self-esteem.:)

But your 'self-esteem' sticks out like a sore thumb.:)

KayMarie
Dust Storm

Pennock, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. The anullment process is open to a "divocred" protestant who wishes to marry a Catholic. As part of the process, the Church will make a determination as to whether the protestant's marriage was sacramental.
She just loves to gossip and make up things, but you will never see her or any protestant in here ever admit a lie they have told or apologize for proven garbage. It really shows what they are made of. She never mocked the Pope because she didnt have a clue what he said about Christmas and of course she is far more of an expert on history and the bible a fine scholar she is. Jethro was probably her instructor. YEE DOGGIE!

Wine bibber means having a sip of grape juice in hicksville, its just those Catholics gulping wine behind curtains because they think noboby can see them. She however is just here to share the truth. lol These people have no shame,truth, honesty, reason or logic whatsoever. Its a merry go round with them and their relative truths. I have only 2 Protestant that came here years ago that were intelligent and spoke with charity and without lies. The propoganda that is spread without any remorse whatsoever followed by denial is unprecedented. Each person with their own truth and none has more authority than the next, but they are one in an invisible body with no false teachers, because their doctrine makes it so. Sola Sad.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
This is true. Happened to a family member. Don't forget the charge of around $500 for the annulment. I guess that was the going rate.
What's true? A protestant who's divorced has to go through an anullment in order to marry a Catholic in the Church.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

who="June VanDerMark"
That's my belief. Theologians are traumatized by huge egos that blinds them from perceiving they don't have the answers to mysteries.
Ego is the most insidious trauma, as it always clothes itself in the guise of supposed wisdom.

Look in a mirror.:)
KM
chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
What's true? A protestant who's divorced has to go through an anullment in order to marry a Catholic in the Church.
Yes
Dust Storm

Pennock, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Just sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
It's no coincidence that the Lord's Supper was instituted during the Passover meal. It helps to understand the Jewish tradition of the entire Passover celebration in order to better appreciate the fact of the Real Presence in Eucharist. Witnessing the death/sacrifice of Jesus on the cross in light of how they understood the Passover meal (being Jews), made it clear to the apostles that Jesus is the True Lamb, the One Sacrifice who takes away the sins of the world.
What did the Jews do with the Passover lamb? They ATE it.
How is it that this can be overlooked or dismissed as incidental is beyond me.
How can the fulfilment of a promise be less substantial than the promise itself?
Yes they ate it. Funny how they can believe a few loaves and fish would feed multitudes and have leftovers, but cannot see have faith to believe what Christ said. I dont know how people symbolically get sick and die as Paul says in his writings to the Corinthians. Food poisoning? ;0 I jest.

If you have not read "The fourth cup" by Scott Hahn you may want to google it. Its a great read.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

who="Anthony MN"
Wrong. The anullment process is open to a "divocred" protestant who wishes to marry a Catholic. As part of the process, the Church will make a determination as to whether the protestant's marriage was sacramental.

Making themselves 'god'. I wouldn't want THAT guilt hanging over my head.(Let NO MAN put asunder.) The divorcee is guilty and the CC exonerates them ???

KayMarie
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

marge wrote:
DS, you wrote:
[The Didache
"Assemble on the Lord’s day, and break bread and offer the Eucharist; but first make confession of your faults, so that your sacrifice may be a pure one. Anyone who has a difference with his fellow is not to take part with you until he has been reconciled, so as to avoid any profanation of your sacrifice [Matt. 5:23–24]. For this is the offering of which the Lord has said,‘Everywhere and always bring me a sacrifice that is undefiled, for I am a great king, says the Lord, and my name is the wonder of nations’[Mal. 1:11, 14]" (Didache 14 [A.D. 70]).]
How can you say 'your sacrifice' or my sacrifice, when its all about His sacrifice???
1.) DS didn't say it-it's in the Didache, which DS didn't author.

2.) The passage from Matthew is Christ directing the faithful to approach God and each other with "clean hands", as it were.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
What did Christ mean when He said gouge your eye out if it causes you to sin?
I can read. That's what He said.
He said that once. Clearly allegorical.

He said it was His body many times and did not clarify to the contrary even when confronted with dissent.

All of Christendom knew what He meant until the Reformation.

Amazing, really, that the "bible alone" crowd works so fervently to deny Christ's clear words and limit what He can and cannot do to fulfill His promise to us.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

confrinting with the word wrote:
You need to read ALL of the Bible before you condemn it. The O.T, which contains all of those examples, was before Jesus. The people were involved in demonic practices...even burning their babies in a furnace called Molech.
When Jesus was confronted by those who wished to stone an adulterous woman, He confronted them with truth. "Yes," her actions condemned her...but JESUS did not condemn her, and he let the accusers know that NONE OF THEM WERE FIT TO ADMINISTER THE PUNISHMENT.
But He did something else. He commanded the woman to stop her sinning.
Death IS the wages of sin. Jesus is come that we might have life.
Which one will you choose?
KayMarie
WHOOP!! THERE IT IS!

Those specially made qualifiers that so-called "Christians" love to use as their recourse.

Kay - you are still clueless.

Why do you believe as you do? Surely it wasn't from understanding the Bible, huh?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

who="Dust Storm"
She just loves to gossip and make up things, but you will never see her or any protestant in here ever admit a lie they have told or apologize for proven garbage. It really shows what they are made of. She never mocked the Pope because she didnt have a clue what he said about Christmas and of course she is far more of an expert on history and the bible a fine scholar she is. Jethro was probably her instructor. YEE DOGGIE!
Wine bibber means having a sip of grape juice in hicksville, its just those Catholics gulping wine behind curtains because they think noboby can see them. She however is just here to share the truth. lol These people have no shame,truth, honesty, reason or logic whatsoever. Its a merry go round with them and their relative truths. I have only 2 Protestant that came here years ago that were intelligent and spoke with charity and without lies. The propoganda that is spread without any remorse whatsoever followed by denial is unprecedented. Each person with their own truth and none has more authority than the next, but they are one in an invisible body with no false teachers, because their doctrine makes it so. Sola Sad.

I don't suppose that anyone on here will know who you are gossiping about. LOL

KayMarie

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You always FALL BACK on your favorite scriptures.
How about you being at the end of your own "curled" finger and pointing at yourself as being wicked and evil and lost to salvation.
That would be a refreshing change.
i'm not sure i'm following your train-of-thought here, June, but i'm just trying to help you differentiate between the unadulterated truth of Jesus' words and the corrupted actions of humans, both religious and socio-political. you keep bringing the subjective actions of humans into the equation, which is only confusing the issue at hand:)

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

who="June VanDerMark"
I don't know, and after all of your endless preaching ... neither do you.
Oh, but I do.
KM
Stop lying.

You and your husband, have posted half-truths beyond anything, and you claim "you know".

Yeah right.

If so, how come you refuse to answer any of the questions I have posted that are pointed?

A: Because you can't, because if you had, they reveal that you are a liar and not the "truthful follower" you claim.

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

who="June VanDerMark"
I don't know, and after all of your endless preaching ... neither do you.
Oh, but I do.
KM
The arrogance of Christianity.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••