Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 541,899
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Dust Storm

Pennock, MN

#437348 May 3, 2013
Just sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
No. You are wrong. Catholics believe Christ's sacrifice was once and for all. When Catholics attend Mass they are entering again into this ever present Sacrifice. It is the people who come and go into and out of this moment, not the people repeating the Sacrifice.
Hopefully you are imaginative enough to get the picture.
The Eucharist is a true sacrifice, not just a commemorative meal, as "Bible Christians" insist. The first Christians knew that it was a sacrifice and proclaimed this in their writings. They recognized the sacrificial character of Jesus’ instruction, "Do this in remembrance of me" (Touto poieite tan eman anamnasin; Luke 22:19, 1 Cor. 11:24–25) which is better translated "Offer this as my memorial offering."

Thus, Protestant early Church historian J. N. D. Kelly writes that in the early Church "the Eucharist was regarded as the distinctively Christian sacrifice.... Malachi’s prediction (1:10–11) that the Lord would reject Jewish sacrifices and instead would have "a pure offering" made to him by the Gentiles in every place was seized upon by Christians as a prophecy of the Eucharist. TheDidache indeed actually applies the term thusia, or sacrifice, to the Eucharist....

"It was natural for early Christians to think of the Eucharist as a sacrifice. The fulfillment of prophecy demanded a solemn Christian offering, and the rite itself was wrapped in the sacrificial atmosphere with which our Lord invested the Last Supper. The words of institution,‘Do this’(touto poieite), must have been charged with sacrificial overtones for second-century ears; Justin at any rate understood them to mean,‘Offer this.’... The bread and wine, moreover, are offered ‘for a memorial (eis anamnasin) of the passion,’ a phrase which in view of his identification of them with the Lord’s body and blood implies much more than an act of purely spiritual recollection" (J. N. D. Kelly, Early Christian Doctrines [Full Reference], 196–7).

The Didache

"Assemble on the Lord’s day, and break bread and offer the Eucharist; but first make confession of your faults, so that your sacrifice may be a pure one. Anyone who has a difference with his fellow is not to take part with you until he has been reconciled, so as to avoid any profanation of your sacrifice [Matt. 5:23–24]. For this is the offering of which the Lord has said,‘Everywhere and always bring me a sacrifice that is undefiled, for I am a great king, says the Lord, and my name is the wonder of nations’[Mal. 1:11, 14]" (Didache 14 [A.D. 70]).

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/the-sacrifice-...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#437349 May 3, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I was making it plain that theologians teach that "other" people are wicked and evil offenders of a supposed god.
I don't agree with the theologians OR you, who also perceives that you are a wonder of theology as in "knowing answers."
If people aren't evil, rather traumatized as you clearly put forth earlier, then theologians (who are people) cannot be evil.

I never claimed to "know answers", but I do know rambling psuedo-intellectual blather when I read it and called you on it.

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#437350 May 3, 2013
marge wrote:
The Lord's supper - That which the Lord Jesus instituted to commemorate his death. It is called "the Lord's," because it is his appointment, and is in honor of Him.
So Jesus and the other Jews "celebrated" that Jesus was going to die on the cross in "honor" of supporting the new Catholic religion???

:)

Terrace, Canada

#437351 May 3, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
The Eucharist is a true sacrifice,
NAH ... real sacrifice was carried out for centuries in the burning of countless innocent people at the stake as offenders of an imaginary god.
Clay

United States

#437352 May 3, 2013
Just sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I love conversion stories. Especially the ones that begin with a diligent and honest effort to debunk the CC.
Me too. The scenario usually plays out the same.
-they are well schooled in Biblical studies.
- many became ordained ministers within their respective protestant communities.
-they set out to convert Catholics and bam. They are introduced to a Christianity they never thunk. They quickly realize the Catholicism they were told about doesn't exist.
-as they search deeper and deeper into scripture, they see the truth in the Catholic Church.
-they read the writings of the Disciples of the Apostles and Church fathers of the first and second century and see Catholicism is the same as today.

Many convert and give up lifelong friends and careers for truth.

Some, like certain posters here, ignore what they have learned and continue with their false doctrines, slamming the Church with more vengeance than before. What's God to do with those souls when its all over?

Terrace, Canada

#437353 May 3, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
If people aren't evil, rather traumatized as you clearly put forth earlier, then theologians (who are people) cannot be evil.
That's my belief. Theologians are traumatized by huge egos that blinds them from perceiving they don't have the answers to mysteries.

Ego is the most insidious trauma, as it always clothes itself in the guise of supposed wisdom.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#437354 May 3, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
Divorce in a sacramental marriage IS NOT recognized by the Catholic Church.
Divorce IS recognized by protestant communities.
We understand. The Catholic church thinks that IT makes a sacramental marriage...thus no divorce.
It DOES, however recognize divorce of Protestants...who, they say, weren't married to start with. When such people want a Catholic marriage/partner, they can divorce with 'church' approval.:(
KayMarie
Wrong. The anullment process is open to a "divocred" protestant who wishes to marry a Catholic. As part of the process, the Church will make a determination as to whether the protestant's marriage was sacramental.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#437355 May 3, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
nope, we believed and celebrated communion.
It wasn't (and isn't) a Christian communion. No Christian communes with bread and grape juice.

Terrace, Canada

#437356 May 3, 2013
Observe the new pope with the Jewish kippa on his head.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#437357 May 3, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
That's my belief. Theologians are traumatized by huge egos that blinds them from perceiving they don't have the answers to mysteries.
Ego is the most insidious trauma, as it always clothes itself in the guise of supposed wisdom.
What should theologians study, if not religion?

That's all theology is-the study of religion and religious tradition.

You'll permit religion to be studied, despite your opposition to it,yes?

Terrace, Canada

#437358 May 3, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't (and isn't) a Christian communion. No Christian communes with bread and grape juice.
Stop telling other Christians how to commune ... bossy poops!

marge

Ames, IA

#437359 May 3, 2013
As they were eating, Jesus took some bread and blessed it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, "Take this and eat it, for this is my body."

And brake it - This "breaking" of the bread represented the sufferings of Jesus about to take place - his body "broken" or wounded for sin. Hence, Paul 1 Corinthians 11:24 adds, "This is my body which is broken for you;" that is, which is about to be broken for you by death, or wounded, pierced, bruised, to make atonement for your sins.

This is my body - This represents my body. This broken bread shows the manner in which my body will be broken; or this will serve to recall my dying sufferings to your remembrance. It is not meant that his body would be literally "broken" as the bread was, but that the bread would be a significant emblem or symbol to recall to their recollection his sufferings. It is not improbable that our Lord pointed to the broken bread, or laid his hands on it, as if he had said, "Lo, my body!" or, "Behold my body!- that which "represents" my broken body to you." This "could not" be intended to mean that that bread was literally his body. It was not. His body was then before them "living." And there is no greater absurdity than to imagine his "living body" there changed at once to a "dead body," and then the bread to be changed into that dead body, and that all the while the "living" body of Jesus was before them.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#437360 May 3, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you stop being so silly.
it's true! just embrace the idea laid-out in john 3:16 and you'll understand the premise of the entire Bible and God's plan for the human race! the word 'Gospel' means Thee Good News, i.e. the best news of all!

it's so good and so simple that "unless you become as a little child, you will not see the Kingdom of Heaven" Jesus

Terrace, Canada

#437361 May 3, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
As part of the process, the Church will make a determination as to whether the protestant's marriage was sacramental.
And the imaginary god will be forced to agree with the decisions.

chuck

Dublin, OH

#437362 May 3, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. The anullment process is open to a "divocred" protestant who wishes to marry a Catholic. As part of the process, the Church will make a determination as to whether the protestant's marriage was sacramental.
This is true. Happened to a family member. Don't forget the charge of around $500 for the annulment. I guess that was the going rate.
marge

Ames, IA

#437363 May 3, 2013
cont.

Yet this is the absurd and impossible doctrine of the Roman Catholics, holding that the "bread" and "wine" were literally changed into the "body and blood" of our Lord. The language employed by the Saviour was in accordance with a common mode of speaking among the Jews, and exactly similar to that used by Moses at the institution of the Passover Exodus 12:11; "It" - that is, the lamb - "is the Lord's Passover." That is, the lamb and the feast "represent" the Lord's "passing over" the houses of the Israelites. It serves to remind you of it. It surely cannot be meant that that lamb was the literal "passing over" their houses - a palpable absurdity - but that it represented it. So Paul and Luke say of the bread, "This is my body broken for you: this do in remembrance of me." This expresses the whole design of the sacramental bread. It is to call to "remembrance," in a vivid manner, the dying sufferings of our Lord.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#437364 May 3, 2013
Religion - A Delusion wrote:
Today at High Schools around Florida, Christian student groups will be giving out Bibles.
At the same schools, secular humanist groups will be giving out humanist literate at High Schools as well.
Isn't freedom great.
yes it is - and may those who are attracted to Goodness and Eternal Life be attracted to God and may those who are attracted to the temporal lusts of the flesh and mind be attracted to those things and lets get this whole thing moving swiftly to it's expected end!

COME QUICKLY LORD JESUS!!!

Terrace, Canada

#437365 May 3, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
What should theologians study, if not religion?
The word theology means to study ALL religions, not just your own from inside your own cult.

If you studied all religions, you would see that your own is only special to you, as other religions are equally special to others.

Terrace, Canada

#437366 May 3, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
it's true! just embrace the idea laid-out in john 3:16 and you'll understand the premise of the entire Bible and God's plan for the human race! the word 'Gospel' means Thee Good News, i.e. the best news of all!
it's so good and so simple that "unless you become as a little child, you will not see the Kingdom of Heaven" Jesus
You always FALL BACK on your favorite scriptures.

How about you being at the end of your own "curled" finger and pointing at yourself as being wicked and evil and lost to salvation.

That would be a refreshing change.

Terrace, Canada

#437367 May 3, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
COME QUICKLY LORD JESUS!!!
Master of nothing but empty-headed theology.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... Fri pazuzu 68
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Sep 12 Married in 8,293
Selfies with Pope Francis cardboard cutouts pop... Sep 10 ELIAS IBARRA 5
Pope Francis pursues a thaw in relations with m... Sep 9 Andrez Lopez 2
Francis' letter to Cubans: Imitate Mary's joy, ... Sep 8 Crusader 1
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Sep 5 ELIAS IBARRA 49
Pope Francis' one-day trip expected to give Alb... Sep 4 Barbarian 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••