Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
421,401 - 421,420 of 533,766 Comments Last updated 12 min ago
Human Being

Church Point, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
Observe the Catholics and Protestants on this thread bragging about who knows the truth, when they both believe they have acquired eternal wisdom from the same book, yet can't see eye to eye.
Not even one seems to say, I would be best to check if I could be wrong on my theological training and the other person right.
But ego doesn't function that way. It can't see beyond its mountainous self.
June VanDerMark:

And perhaps you are wrong about me?
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Saint Serapion
Bishop of Thmuis in Lower Egypt, date of birth unknown; d. after 362

Serapion, Saint, Bishop of Thmuis in Lower Egypt, date of birth unknown; d. after 362. His parents were Christian and he was educated among the clergy of Alexandria, probably under the direction of St. Athanasius, who always held him in high esteem. After presiding over a monastery for some years, he was consecrated Bishop of Thmuis some time before 343, for in that year he attended the Council of Sardica as a defender of the Nicene Faith. In 355 St. Athanasius sent him and four other Egyptian bishops on an embassy to Emperor Constantius (337-61) that they might plead on his behalf and refute the charges which the Arians had brought against him. Serapion was deprived of his see in 350 by George, the anti-Patriarch of Alexandria, and sent into exile, hence the title "Confessor" conferred upon him by St. Jerome and the Roman Martyrology (March 21). Between the years 358-62 St. Athanasius addressed to him a letter on the death of Arius (P.G., XXV, 685-90) and four dogmatic epistles, of which one was on the Son of God and three on the Holy Ghost (P.G., XXVI, 529-676). Serapion was a man of great purity of life and extraordinary eloquence. St. Jerome calls him a "scholasticus", or scholar, and says that he wrote a treatise against the Manichaeans, another on the titles of the Psalms, and many useful letters to different parties.
http://oce.catholic.com/index.php...
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

marge wrote:
Regina,
1 Corinthians 11
23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said,“This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying,“This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.
,took bread,
Yes, Marge?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

who="June VanDerMark"
Why not ... when your "god" commits abortions. The proof of god's murder in the womb is when fetuses come out of the as dead babies???
He taught women that abortion was a holy cause. What a dirty trick for a god to play on expectant parents.
tongue-in-cheek

And where does God approve abortion?

KM
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
not true.
Abundantly true.

Please cite evidence to the contrary.
Ella

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me give you an example: up until 1930, all of Christianity was against the use of contraption, believing that God is the author of life and we should not prevent life from entering into this world. Sex is the method that God has for bringing life into existence. Therefore, it should only be done within the sacrament of Holy Matrimony by a man and woman, who formed a covenant bond that should not be broken. Contraception has opened the doors to recreational sex outside of marriage.
This is the world that Protestantism has condoned by forming their own Christianity based on what they interpret in the Bible. This is what happens when you remove the Church.
Less than 100 yrs later, not one Protestant sect opposes contraception and countless others redefined Marriage to allow same sex couples.
Jr high students are given condoms and sex is taught as being ok to do before marriage.
Wake up people.
The body of believers is the church!
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
906 806
<quoted text>
Your post edited for space...
First:
The history of the Romans persecuting, Christians, and not Catholics, because there were no Catholic, is well documented and you know it: Excerpt:
In its first three centuries, the Christian church endured regular (though not constant) persecution at the hands of Roman authorities. This experience, and its resulting martyrs and apologists, would have significant historical and theological consequences for the developing faith.
References
Lk 6:22-23
Epistle 10 (to Emperor Trajan), 96 (in Bettenson et al, Documents of the Christian Church, p. 3).
Epistle 76, Ante-Nicene Fathers 5.403.
"The tradition of martyrdom has entered deep into the Christian consciousness." Kenneth Scott Latourette, A History of Christianity, Volume I: Beginnings to 1500, rev. ed.(Prince Press, 2000), p. 81.
Mark Galli, "The Persecuting Emperors." Christian History, Issue 27 (Vol. XI, No. 3), p. 20.
Maurice M. Hassatt, "Martyr." The Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. IX (Robert Appleton Company, 1910).
Everett Ferguson, "Did You Know?" Christian History, Issue 27 (Vol. XI, No. 3), inside cover.
Robert L. Wilkin, "The Piety of the Persecutors." Christian History, Issue 27 (Vol. XI, No. 3), p. 18.
Ibid.
Ibid., p. 19.
Latourette, p. 82.
cf. Augustine, City of God, 18.52.
Henry Bettenson and Chris Maunder, eds., Documents of the Christian Church, 3rd. ed.(Oxford UP, 1999), p. 2.
Tertullian, Ad nat., 1.7.
"Nero." Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 2005. "Christianity." Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 2005.
Suetonius, Domitian, 15.
Philip Schaff, "Persecutions under Marcus Aurelius. a.d. 161–180." History of the Christian Church, 2.2.20.
William H.C. Frend, "Persecution in the Early Church." Christian History, Issue 27 (Vol. XI, No. 3), p. 7.
Ibid.
Ibid, p. 8.
Ibid., p. 9.
"Decius, Gaius Messius Quintus Trajanus." Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 2005.
Maurice M. Hassatt, "Martyr." The Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. IX (Robert Appleton Company, 1910).
"Diocletian." Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 2005.
Dialogue with Trypho the Jew, 110.
"Apologist." Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 2005.
Books on Persecution of the Early Church
J.C. Rolfe (trans.), Suetonius: The Lives of the Caesars, trans. from Latin, vol. 2 (1914), Book 6.
John Jackson (trans.), Tacitus: The Annals, trans. from Latin, vol. 3-4 (1931-37), Books 12-16
Miriam T. Griffin, Nero: The End of a Dynasty (1984)
Joyce E. Salisbury, Perpetua's Passion: The Death and Memory of a Young Roman Woman.
John Wagner, The Big Book of Martyrs: Amazing but True Tales of Faith in the Face of Certain Death!
G. W. Bowersock, Martyrdom and Rome.

Frank J. Korn, The Tiber Ran Red: The Age of the Roman Martyrs.
Reinhard Selinger, The Mid-Third Century Persecutions of Decius and Valerian.
Herbert Brook Workman, Persecution in the Early Church.
This info is not Protestant (bible only)"fiction" history as you well know.
These references do not support ANYTHING that you claim in your "failing attempts" to debunk the TRUTH of the historical and biblical proof of Jesus Christ and His One True Apostolic Catholic Church. Ox, you have become an expert at "digging up" (historical information) with a (pre-determined) "anti-catholic agenda" neatly tucked your back pocket". Then, after extracting "whatever information that might fit" into your Protestant (fictitious) Church History book, you "editorialize and just plain "make up" your own distorted conclusions. You Ox are a typical bible only heretic that lives in a "dillusional Church history world of Protestant myths and legends. It is called Reformation Mass confusion. The difference is that WE as Catholics have the "Mass" and YOU have the "confusion"!
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Ella wrote:
<quoted text>
The body of believers is the church!
No.

Jesus instituted a visible Church. It's in the Bible. The one you exhort us all to read. That one.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ established "only one" TRUE CHURCH,---- NOT 42,000+ contradicting, and inconsistent Protestant "RELATIVE TRUTH" (what each person "decides for themselves to be true)"denominations that began over 450 years ago with the Reformation...... I/we as Catholics, are just "defending" the TRUTH of over 2000 years of Jesus Christs One True Apostolic Catholic Church..........You bible only bigots are the ones that keep "throwing out" your Protestant "fictitious history myths" as well "your own interpretation (or better yet mis-interpretation) of the bible, making it mean "only what YOU want it to mean"!! Jesus confirms, verifies and gives us His "one and only" TRUE Church in Matthew 16:13-21, appointing Peter (and his bishops successors) as His earthly representative to lead HIS Church, until Jesus (himself) returns again for the second time here on earth. Jesus INITIATED it, Paul VERIFIES it in 1 Timothy 3:15 calling the Church (not the bible alone) as the pinnacle, pillar and foundation of the TRUTH, Church History CONFIRMS it over and over again for over 2000 years.
First you have no idea whether I am Protestant or Catholic or Born Again or whatever. Secondly I see your repeating the same thing over and over in a blog is really converting hordes of people.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Marge?
This might be a case like Cardinal Newman, a brilliant 19th century theologian who set out to write a book to debunk Catholicism 'once and for all'. He was halfway through and he tossed it to the ground and converted to the Catholic faith- leaving his family and friends behind.

Maybe Marge realized part way thru, that the Apostle Paul believed the bread and wine to be "the Body and Blood of the Lord"
1Corinthians 11:27
Ella

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

confrinting with the word wrote:
who="jethro8" i see no harm inthat if the woman is going to have the abortion no matter what,why not use the cells,the baby in a way is helping man kind even thoughhe/she will not be able to enjoy it's benefits
She shouldn't have the abortion to start with...but if those aborted babies become a big money source, there will be a LOT more abortions.
KM
Unfortunately, aborted babies are already a big money maker. Pepsi, Nestle and some drug companies were boycotted for using aborted fetal cells to enhance their flavorings. Legislation has been proposed to prevent this in the future. In China, the brains of aborted babies is a delicacy and they use fetal tissue for energy boosting pills....
Ella

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was born a Jew to Jewish parents, He is called the "KING OF THE JEWS". all who receive Jesus are Lord and Savior are adopted into the family of God Jesus is His first born only begotten son." So all who are born again have a Jewish heritage June. Salvation is from the Jews.
God never turned His back on anyone. Jew or other wise.
We who believe in Jesus are called Christ followers or followers of the way.
Jesus being the way. The first Christ-followers were Jewish.
Yes. The bible says that those that have the circumcission of heart are spiritually jewish.
youtube

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

100% PROOF Pope Francis is ANTICHRIST_______

https://www.youtube.com/watch...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
These references
Edited for space.. Part A

Of course the references support my post!!!!! Why else would they be listed on the web site as the source!!!!!????

Why do you continue to lie,knowing that it could be proven, easily and without any doubt, to be a lie. You said, "you conveniently" insert the word "Catholic" in the book of Revelations or in any other bible passages, "where-ever and when-ever" it will precisely (fit) your anti-catholic "editorialized personal opinion".... Am I wrong?????

You said the Catholic denomination is the bride of Christ!!! I quoted Scripture that shows the absurdity in your words...

I will be glad to repeat:
I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife. And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God.

Show me where I did insert the word "Catholic" in the above Scripture I quoted from the Book of Revelation.

Show me, according to your accustaions, adding my own protestant propaganda, garbage interpretation, that is based upon an ingrained, vindictive and hostile attitude topward "anything" that the Catholic Church (to uise your erroeous use of the word church) teaches or believes, in the following Scruipture and my comments supported by said Scripture:

Mt 6:9 ¶ After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.(we are to pray to our Father in Heaven)

Whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.(we are to pray to our Father in Heaven in the name of Jesus Christ....)

You are denying the truth in Christianity, the English dictionary and the Bible when you deny Catholics worship idols...

Quote:
idol: a material effigy that is worshipped; "thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image" (Applicable to Mary and all other idols of "saints" as practiced by Catholics)

effigy: A likeness or image, especially of a person. Symbolically, especially in the form of an effigy.(Applicable to Mary and dead "saints" as practiced by Catholics)

worship:worship:(Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) to show profound religious devotion and respect to; adore or venerate (God or any person or thing considered divine), to be devoted to and full of admiration for, to have or express feelings of profound adoration for.(Totally applicable to the practice of Catholics for Mary and dead "saints")

You are denying that Catholics show profound religious devotion and respect to, adore, and
venerate Mary.

Quote: And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.

A, The word "church" in that verse is defined as: a calling out, i.e.(concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both):--assembly.(Nothing said about any demionation....which is what the RCC is!!!!)

B. Your NABre pope approved Bible teaches the same thing: Jesus’ church means the community that he will gather and that, like a building, will have Peter as its solid foundation. That function of Peter consists in his being witness to Jesus as the Messiah, the Son of the living God.

C. None of the seven churches referred to in Revelation is referred to by Christ as "Catholic"..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

1 Samuel 16:7b
“For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.’(NKJV)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Part B
D. History shows Christians being presected....killed...jailed.. etc until sometime in the fourth century!!!! Hundred of years after Christ declared "I will build my church". Not one Catholic is mentiomed.....because....there were none!!!!!

F. History also shows the emporor Constantine founded your denomination...based on paganisum!!!!

Cherry-picking: to choose or take the best or most profitable of (a number of things).

To do so with Scriptre would say that I believe not all of God's Word is equally "best" and/or that not all of His Word is equaly profitable!!!! That will never happen!!!!

You are an expert on this matter...you keep on keeping on repeating the term..so show me, without, as you say, cherrypicking, all Scripture that teaches what one must do to be Saved.....
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Just sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
I guess this is what goes on in some protestant churches and the audience thinks this is worship. It gave me a nice chuckle.
Wow, wow and wow. That's disturbing.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Just sayin wrote:
Clay, here is something very refreshing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Confrint and the fellas need to watch that.(and Marge too)
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
This might be a case like Cardinal Newman, a brilliant 19th century theologian who set out to write a book to debunk Catholicism 'once and for all'. He was halfway through and he tossed it to the ground and converted to the Catholic faith- leaving his family and friends behind.
Maybe Marge realized part way thru, that the Apostle Paul believed the bread and wine to be "the Body and Blood of the Lord"
1Corinthians 11:27
LOL, you could be right!

At least she's posting under her own name and isn't using a sock puppet. The Trojan Horse comes to mind. That's Greek.

;)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

What is the practical attitude of Catholicism today to other faiths? It was well expressed at the Assisi "world day of prayer for peace" hosted by Pope John Paul II at the shrine of the peace-lover Francis on 27 October 1986. There, in welcoming "representatives of the Christian Churches and Ecclesial Communities and World Religions," the Pope drew attention to the fact that "the form and content of our prayers are very different... and there can be no question of reducing them to a kind of common denominator," while also insisting that a "common ground" could be found in the "dimension of prayer, which in the very real diversity of religions tries to express communication with a Power above all human forces."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Vatican releases schedule for Pope's trip to Al... 10 hr Barbarian 5
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 12 hr Scales Off 8,199
If Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin dona t like th... (Nov '13) 21 hr Finish this sentence 894
Pope's Turkish tour a surprising success (Dec '06) Thu fener 20
Filipino Catholics hails new saints Thu INC - Iglesia ni Coitus 36
Pope to visit Sri Lanka, Philippines in... Wed psycho 4
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... Tue ELIAS IBARRA 60
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••