Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 560,220
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#437040 May 2, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. We know the who, what, where, when and whys of the Church. We know what they taught and how those teachings came to be. None of the protestants, gnostics or agnostics/atheists can say that about their beliefs.
Sure they can - by using the same history as you have.

Unfortunately, you don't want to believe that it can be done.

That is a problem with many so-called "Christians", they never want to believe others, not even Jesus.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#437041 May 2, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
906 806
<quoted text>
Your post edited for space...
First:
The history of the Romans persecuting, Christians, and not Catholics, because there were no Catholic, is well documented and you know it: Excerpt:
In its first three centuries, the Christian church endured regular (though not constant) persecution at the hands of Roman authorities. This experience, and its resulting martyrs and apologists, would have significant historical and theological consequences for the developing faith.
References
Lk 6:22-23
Epistle 10 (to Emperor Trajan), 96 (in Bettenson et al, Documents of the Christian Church, p. 3).
Epistle 76, Ante-Nicene Fathers 5.403.
"The tradition of martyrdom has entered deep into the Christian consciousness." Kenneth Scott Latourette, A History of Christianity, Volume I: Beginnings to 1500, rev. ed.(Prince Press, 2000), p. 81.
Mark Galli, "The Persecuting Emperors." Christian History, Issue 27 (Vol. XI, No. 3), p. 20.
Maurice M. Hassatt, "Martyr." The Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. IX (Robert Appleton Company, 1910).
Everett Ferguson, "Did You Know?" Christian History, Issue 27 (Vol. XI, No. 3), inside cover.
Robert L. Wilkin, "The Piety of the Persecutors." Christian History, Issue 27 (Vol. XI, No. 3), p. 18.
Ibid.
Ibid., p. 19.
Latourette, p. 82.
cf. Augustine, City of God, 18.52.
Henry Bettenson and Chris Maunder, eds., Documents of the Christian Church, 3rd. ed.(Oxford UP, 1999), p. 2.
Tertullian, Ad nat., 1.7.
"Nero." Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 2005. "Christianity." Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 2005.
Suetonius, Domitian, 15.
Philip Schaff, "Persecutions under Marcus Aurelius. a.d. 161–180." History of the Christian Church, 2.2.20.
William H.C. Frend, "Persecution in the Early Church." Christian History, Issue 27 (Vol. XI, No. 3), p. 7.
Ibid.
Ibid, p. 8.
Ibid., p. 9.
"Decius, Gaius Messius Quintus Trajanus." Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 2005.
Maurice M. Hassatt, "Martyr." The Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. IX (Robert Appleton Company, 1910).
"Diocletian." Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 2005.
Dialogue with Trypho the Jew, 110.
"Apologist." Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 2005.
Books on Persecution of the Early Church
J.C. Rolfe (trans.), Suetonius: The Lives of the Caesars, trans. from Latin, vol. 2 (1914), Book 6.
John Jackson (trans.), Tacitus: The Annals, trans. from Latin, vol. 3-4 (1931-37), Books 12-16
Miriam T. Griffin, Nero: The End of a Dynasty (1984)
Joyce E. Salisbury, Perpetua's Passion: The Death and Memory of a Young Roman Woman.
John Wagner, The Big Book of Martyrs: Amazing but True Tales of Faith in the Face of Certain Death!
G. W. Bowersock, Martyrdom and Rome.
Joyce E. Salisbury, Blood of Martyrs: Unintended Consequences of Ancient Violence.
Everett Ferguson, Church and State in the Early Church (Studies in Early Christianity).
C. Bernard Ruffin, The Days of the Martyrs: A History of the Persecution of Christians from Apostolic Times to the Time of Constantine.
Frank J. Korn, The Tiber Ran Red: The Age of the Roman Martyrs.
Reinhard Selinger, The Mid-Third Century Persecutions of Decius and Valerian.
Herbert Brook Workman, Persecution in the Early Church.
This info is not Protestant (bible only)"fiction" history as you well know.
History shows that the pagan Roman empire persecuted Christians who called themselves Catholic. Can you cite any historical references of Christians who referred to themselves as Southern baptists or even protestant?

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#437042 May 2, 2013
But never mind Catholics. In ancient history the Jews also started an offshoot of polytheistic Judaism to create the one-god dogma. At one time the Jews had multiple gods, and many of the Jews believed in reincarnation ... and some still do believe in reincarnation.

Religion always has had a mind of its own.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#437043 May 2, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus founded the Catholic Church. Why do you think His Church should be called a cult?
Christ did no such thing!!!!!

The history of the Romans persecuting, Christians, and not Catholics is well documented and you know it: Excerpt:

In its first three centuries, the Christian church endured regular (though not constant) persecution at the hands of Roman authorities. This experience, and its resulting martyrs and apologists, would have significant historical and theological consequences for the developing faith.

References

Epistle 10 (to Emperor Trajan), 96 (in Bettenson et al, Documents of the Christian Church, p. 3).
"The tradition of martyrdom has entered deep into the Christian consciousness." Kenneth Scott Latourette, A History of Christianity, Volume I: Beginnings to 1500, rev. ed.(Prince Press, 2000), p. 81.
Mark Galli, "The Persecuting Emperors." Christian History, Issue 27 (Vol. XI, No. 3), p. 20.
Everett Ferguson, "Did You Know?" Christian History, Issue 27 (Vol. XI, No. 3), inside cover.
Robert L. Wilkin, "The Piety of the Persecutors." Christian History, Issue 27 (Vol. XI, No. 3), p. 18.
Ibid.
Ibid., p. 19.
Latourette, p. 82.
Henry Bettenson and Chris Maunder, eds., Documents of the Christian Church, 3rd. ed.(Oxford UP, 1999), p. 2.
"Nero." Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 2005. "Christianity." Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 2005.
Suetonius, Domitian, 15.
Philip Schaff, "Persecutions under Marcus Aurelius. a.d. 161–180." History of the Christian Church, 2.2.20.
William H.C. Frend, "Persecution in the Early Church." Christian History, Issue 27 (Vol. XI, No. 3), p. 7.
Ibid.
Ibid, p. 8.
Ibid., p. 9.
"Decius, Gaius Messius Quintus Trajanus." Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service. 2005.

J.C. Rolfe (trans.), Suetonius: The Lives of the Caesars, trans. from Latin, vol. 2 (1914), Book 6.
John Jackson (trans.), Tacitus: The Annals, trans. from Latin, vol. 3-4 (1931-37), Books 12-16
Joyce E. Salisbury, Perpetua's Passion: The Death and Memory of a Young Roman Woman.
John Wagner, The Big Book of Martyrs: Amazing but True Tales of Faith in the Face of Certain Death!
Joyce E. Salisbury, Blood of Martyrs: Unintended Consequences of Ancient Violence.
Everett Ferguson, Church and State in the Early Church (Studies in Early Christianity).
C. Bernard Ruffin, The Days of the Martyrs: A History of the Persecution of Christians from Apostolic Times to the Time of Constantine.

Logic says: you can't prosecute Catholics that are that there!!!!

Prince George, Canada

#437044 May 2, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in Jesus as my Saviour.
Then I suggest you prepare to go in your imagination to Olam Ha Ba and see if you can find a savior name of Jesus over there.

You wouldn't catch a Jew dead or alive in a Christian heaven even IF a Christian heaven existed.

:)

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#437045 May 2, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm only accountable for my own beliefs, not for your religious indoctrination.
If you were a Muslim you would be preaching about Mohammad being the spirit of Allah (God) on earth.
Jesus came to the mideast region so arabs & muslim's will be responsible for their rejection of Jesus as Christ as much or more than any other demographic.

BTW - my grandparents immigrated to the US via Beirut Lebanon because they chose Christ at the risk of life & limb.

now - what will be YOUR argument when you stand before Jesus? i'm just trying to prep you for your big day in court:)
Human Being

Arnaudville, LA

#437046 May 2, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
From what I have witnessed of people who believe they have made the "grade" through reincarnation or salvation ... they are not special in any way whatsoever.
Many have been murderers and blatant con-artists in the guise of holiness.
I don't trust people who preach at others how to behave in order to achieve enlightenment or salvation. There's something very disturbing in their need to behave in such a manner.
June VanDerMark:

The motivation of such people that preach, as one grows older and wiser becomes easier to see, are clearly suspect. And the words such as pride, envy, and greed, and sloth are such motivations.

I would note, that Jesus, did not go about his whole life preaching. It was perhaps 3 years.(Not that he was not capable.) Rather the time had come to do so. Few listened, many heard and just kept going their own way.

Prince George, Canada

#437047 May 2, 2013
Can't ya just hear those Christian feet stomping in temper tantrums?

"Jesus IS GOING TO SAVE ME and take me to heaven, and THAT IS THAT!!!"

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#437048 May 2, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus changed water into alcoholic wine. He gave the disciples alcoholic wine at the last supper. Yes, our Eucharistic wine is alcoholic.
And all this time I was taught the priest drank the blood of Christ!!!! I have never heard of a priest suffering from bloodcoholic...so you must be right!!!

Now I can see why so many priests are alcoholics...there is a Catholic alcoholic retreat a mile from my house!!!!

Prince George, Canada

#437049 May 2, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus came to the mideast region so arabs & muslim's will be responsible for their rejection of Jesus as Christ as much or more than any other demographic.
BTW - my grandparents immigrated to the US via Beirut Lebanon because they chose Christ at the risk of life & limb.
now - what will be YOUR argument when you stand before Jesus? i'm just trying to prep you for your big day in court:)
YEAH RIGHT. Jesus loves Christians! Jesus turned his back on his Jews ... just for you.

That's quite a story if you can "slide" it by.

Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#437050 May 2, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ did no such thing!!!!!
The history of the Romans persecuting, Christians, and not Catholics is well documented and you know it: Excerpt:
References
Ibid.
Ibid., p. 19.
Latourette, p. 82.
Suetonius, Domitian, 15.
Ibid.
Ibid, p. 8.
Ibid., p. 9.
Logic says: you can't prosecute Catholics that are that there!!!!
Logic says that the SBC is filled with anti-intellectuals ignorant of historical fact.

History shows that the pagan Roman empire persecuted Christians who called themselves Catholic. Can you cite any historical references of Christians who referred to themselves as Southern baptists or even protestant?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#437051 May 2, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you talking dirty to the women here yet ?

Did they beg you to leave them alone yet ?
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#437052 May 2, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure they can - by using the same history as you have.
Unfortunately, you don't want to believe that it can be done.
That is a problem with many so-called "Christians", they never want to believe others, not even Jesus.
History shows that the pagan Roman empire persecuted Christians who called themselves Catholic. Can you cite any historical references of Christians who referred to themselves as protestant?

Prince George, Canada

#437053 May 2, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus died in a river in Japan and he's been seen in a pizza, and cracked linoleum, and other various places in imagination.

In these fantasies Jesus has never been dressed as a Jew, but always as a Christian.

Prince George, Canada

#437054 May 2, 2013
I wonder why Jesus never appeared with his dinky showing. I guess he would be em-bare-assed.
Just sayin

Antioch, TN

#437055 May 2, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
The Catholics compiled the data in the new testament which they didn't finish until the fourth century. Imagine how many lies they managed to conjure during all that time, as some died and other picked up their pens and carried on, to start an "impressive" offshoot religion of Judaism.
Impressive indeed to have survived and thrived for 2000 years despite being attacked on all sides and even from within. How long did the Roman empire last?
Human Being

Arnaudville, LA

#437056 May 2, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
If people had faith that a creator's "love" is unconditional, believers would understand that no worship would be necessary.
But people do NOT trust that the creator is love and that is why there is so much worry and fuss about how to believe in order to please the supposed creator.
Anxiety is what motivates believers to keep preaching and behaving comparable to chest-pounding apes in the attitudes ... "Believe MY way so the creator will love and accept you."
June VanDerMark:

Worship is an act of selflessness, not selfishness.

Yielding to God, freely, unconditionally, brings God closer. And His Presence often blesses the worshipper.

The anxiety you write of is true, often people seek fellowship with likeminded people(be they religous or not), to satisfy the ego, and justify their actions.

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer...,with thanksgiving...,to God. And peace will be yours." So says the Apostle Paul, whom I think was a very peaceful and mellow preacher.
Dust Storm

Pennock, MN

#437057 May 2, 2013
marge wrote:
We have never denied James the brother of Jesus nor his letter as being inspired nor The revelation of Jesus Christ to John as not being a witness to God.
please don't lie, nite DS.
The only lying is coming from you out of ignorance and willful at that. You made the statement you know. Well the ones who claim now that Pauls writings are not scripture but his own believe the same. You by your own authority make that decision of what you choose to believe to accept as scripture and in the way in which you determine it. Protestants are all over the place on what you believe there is simply no denying that. There are those who now promote Jesus was married, of course you deny the constant teaching of ever virgine. There are those who call themselves Christian who say May was not a Virgin. A recent poll taken showed 59% of Evangelical protestants believed Jesus sinned. Each generation you drift further and further from what was taught from the beginning. Each claims their personal inspiration. One has to wonder what Protestants will be teaching in the future.

rotestants didnt agree which NT books should be contained in the bible until 1647 where aruguments were made at the Assembly of Westminster.

NT Books which are now accepted by Christians, but were rejected by more than a few for a long time and rejected are Hebrews, James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 2 John, 3 John, Jude, Revelation. That is a fact. You can read Luthers preface to his thoughts on James the Epistle of Straw and he railed on Jude and Revelation. Its not a secret its a hisotorical fact. Luthers own bible had books missing for 200 years. Luther didnt like them because they challenged his new theology. He admits as much in his own Preface to commentary. However continue to choose your own reality in denial of the facts.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#437058 May 2, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Can't ya just hear those Christian feet stomping in temper tantrums?
"Jesus IS GOING TO SAVE ME and take me to heaven, and THAT IS THAT!!!"
It's far easier to find you throwing your own tantrums on Topix. Years spent, hundreds if not thousands of posts reflecting your pathological obsession with Catholicism (and the sound of your own voice).
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#437059 May 2, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
And all this time I was taught the priest drank the blood of Christ!!!! I have never heard of a priest suffering from bloodcoholic...so you must be right!!!
Now I can see why so many priests are alcoholics...there is a Catholic alcoholic retreat a mile from my house!!!!
Priests don't become alcoholics from drinking the Eucharistic wine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Wed Jesus saves 8,717
Pope challenges Muslims to condemn violence Tue Jeff Brightone 1
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Tue USA Born 83,901
Pope's role in Cuba deal fractures Cuban-Americ... Tue woodtick57 4
Cuba Deal Is Major Victory for Pope's Diplomati... Dec 22 John 4
Vatican signals new tone on US nuns Dec 21 Raymond F Rice 2
Pope plays key role in Cuba-US policy shift Dec 21 Doc Proper 12
More from around the web