Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
421,221 - 421,240 of 532,431 Comments Last updated 5 min ago

Since: Nov 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Religion - A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you.
It's just so amazing that the supposed teacher of perfect morals to mankind -- continues to honor in such a blatant and public manner someone who covered up child abuse by over 90 Priests.
I get it. Cardinal Law was a good soldier for the Vatican. But it is painfully clear that the catholic church still does not.
90 molesting priests?? you left out a few zero's there,it dates back to 1400's pope julius had a boy toy back in 1487-1555,90 is probally from one month,we'll never know the true number because the church will never be honest about it, but in the 2000 yrs it was created by constantine and his 100 men,the number is more than likely up into the thousands.

Since: Sep 09

Fort Saint James, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
That wasn't an insult....that was a direct assessment of what LTM did, when she shouldn't be doing it.
Because on forums we don't see body language, facial expressions, or tones of voice, it is easy to take the wrong meaning from what people post.

It I took the wrong meaning from what you intended, when you didn't mean it as an insult, I apologize.

I've assumed wrong before, and I expect I'll do it again. But it's not on purpose. It's simply that I don't get it right.

Sorry.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Aretha123 wrote:
<quoted text>I never said it was the True Church. You are locked into some kind of warp. I said your throwing this up in people's faces 24-7 is not representative of the Churchs founder- Christ.
Christ established "only one" TRUE CHURCH,---- NOT 42,000+ contradicting, and inconsistent Protestant "RELATIVE TRUTH" (what each person "decides for themselves to be true)"denominations that began over 450 years ago with the Reformation...... I/we as Catholics, are just "defending" the TRUTH of over 2000 years of Jesus Christs One True Apostolic Catholic Church..........You bible only bigots are the ones that keep "throwing out" your Protestant "fictitious history myths" as well "your own interpretation (or better yet mis-interpretation) of the bible, making it mean "only what YOU want it to mean"!! Jesus confirms, verifies and gives us His "one and only" TRUE Church in Matthew 16:13-21, appointing Peter (and his bishops successors) as His earthly representative to lead HIS Church, until Jesus (himself) returns again for the second time here on earth. Jesus INITIATED it, Paul VERIFIES it in 1 Timothy 3:15 calling the Church (not the bible alone) as the pinnacle, pillar and foundation of the TRUTH, Church History CONFIRMS it over and over again for over 2000 years.
Religion - A Delusion

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>90 molesting priests?? you left out a few zero's there,it dates back to 1400's pope julius had a boy toy back in 1487-1555,90 is probally from one month,we'll never know the true number because the church will never be honest about it, but in the 2000 yrs it was created by constantine and his 100 men,the number is more than likely up into the thousands.
I was only referring to one Cardinal and how he was honored by the Vatican with an esteemed position.

I don't think this is a uniquely Catholic problem, any more than any other religion.

But it is a Catholic problem per the title of this board. The claim is empty.

They have shown their god is equally imaginary as all others.
Religion - A Delusion

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
yes - i would officially like to go on record as saying "Jesus is God and I embrace Him with all that I am".
thank you for bringing that out of me and getting it on record!:)
Cool. That's called an opinion based solely on faith. However, it would be more correct to start your statement with "I believe..."

Prove it and millions of $$$ in reward money are yours.

In all probability, this god was drilled into you since early childhood. Your god is based on where you were born and the culture in which you were raised.

Yes?

Every day I make the same prediction, and every day I am correct.

The reward money will still be there tomorrow.
Religion - A Delusion

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Because on forums we don't see body language, facial expressions, or tones of voice, it is easy to take the wrong meaning from what people post.
It I took the wrong meaning from what you intended, when you didn't mean it as an insult, I apologize.
I've assumed wrong before, and I expect I'll do it again. But it's not on purpose. It's simply that I don't get it right.
Sorry.
A good point.

"Because on forums we don't see body language, facial expressions, or tones of voice, it is easy to take the wrong meaning from what people post."

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Pope Francis I wrote:
<quoted text>
Your Pope prays for those gone astray such as you have dearest.
May the Lord accept the sacrefice at your hands for the praise and glory of His name, for our good , and for the good of all His Holy Church.
The Old Testament is rather outdated and Your Pope understands that it was created by the wise men of the early ages as a source to be the law for man and to give him some of the answers that he was searching for.
In these early times, very few men were considered wise and it was left to them to come up with the best reasonings of how man came to be and the lives of those who followed...hence Adam and Eve and the rest throughout the ages. The laws, or Ten Commandments' were great laws and kept most people in check. One can't imagine what thee world would have been like without the laws based on what the world was like with the laws.
After Jesus Christ, the Son of GOD was born, and lived, and died on the Cross, and arose from the dead...things changed. These happenings formed the New Testament in which Christ's teachings are followed today in the Holy Roman Catholic Church.
The Holy Roman Catholic Church is the ONE True Church to itself. All other Christian denominations are deviations of the Catholic Church and instituted to self-serve their own interests. The Church of England is a very good example.....started up by King Henry VIII because he was refused to be divorced by the Catholic Church to marry another woman which infuriated him so much that he 'broke' with the church, became excommunicated and in the end suffered an agnozing death in mental anguish knowing and believing that he was going to hell.
We believe in GOD, the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth.
Your Pope
Francis I
the pope is more than likely praying she'll come back because they want her money.King Henry VIII died from over eating and never ate anything except meat&bread,strawberries,an d drank ale he had 13 meals a day.to him vegtables were for peasants not royalty.
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Thursday, May 02, 2013
St. Athanasius, Bishop and Doctor of the Church
(295?-373)

Athanasius led a tumultuous but dedicated life of service to the Church. He was the great champion of the faith against the widespread heresy of Arianism, the teaching by Arius that Jesus was not truly divine. The vigor of his writings earned him the title of doctor of the Church.

Born of a Christian family in Alexandria, Egypt, and given a classical education, Athanasius became secretary to Alexander, the bishop of Alexandria, entered the priesthood and was eventually named bishop himself. His predecessor, Alexander, had been an outspoken critic of a new movement growing in the East—Arianism.

When Athanasius assumed his role as bishop of Alexandria, he continued the fight against Arianism. At first it seemed that the battle would be easily won and that Arianism would be condemned. Such, however, did not prove to be the case. The Council of Tyre was called and for several reasons that are still unclear, the Emperor Constantine exiled Athanasius to northern Gaul. This was to be the first in a series of travels and exiles reminiscent of the life of St. Paul.

After Constantine died, his son restored Athanasius as bishop. This lasted only a year, however, for he was deposed once again by a coalition of Arian bishops. Athanasius took his case to Rome, and Pope Julius I called a synod to review the case and other related matters.

Five times Athanasius was exiled for his defense of the doctrine of Christ’s divinity. During one period of his life, he enjoyed 10 years of relative peace—reading, writing and promoting the Christian life along the lines of the monastic ideal to which he was greatly devoted. His dogmatic and historical writings are almost all polemic, directed against every aspect of Arianism.

Among his ascetical writings, his Life of St. Anthony (January 17) achieved astonishing popularity and contributed greatly to the establishment of monastic life throughout the Western Christian world.

Comment:

Athanasius suffered many trials while he was bishop of Alexandria. He was given the grace to remain strong against what probably seemed at times to be insurmountable opposition. Athanasius lived his office as bishop completely.

He defended the true faith for his flock, regardless of the cost to himself. In today’s world we are experiencing this same call to remain true to our faith, no matter what.
http://www.americancatholic.org/features/sain...

Fort Saint James, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ established "only one" TRUE CHURCH
The ex-Jew Catholics claimed that Jesus came as a savior to save only those of the Catholic faith.

The word Christ means Messiah. The word Jesus also means Messiah.

Jesus Christ ... Messiah Messiah.

How silly is that?

The Jews had their Christ, in that they were already the chosen few. The Catholics had to add Jesus to the brew in hopes of people believing that Jesus Christ was a divine man who came to earth to save ONLY Catholics.

If you separate those two words, the Jews had their Messiah, but the ex-Jew Catholics never had one ... so they created another one.

Fort Saint James, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Religion - A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
A good point.
"Because on forums we don't see body language, facial expressions, or tones of voice, it is easy to take the wrong meaning from what people post."
Thank you.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay says..........Christ promised His Church would be protected from error.
Michael says.......then why would God attach his name to an organization that has had 1700 years of sexual abuse against our children, and the clergy who did not abuse lied and covered up the sins for those that did abuse.
Where was the holy spirit when all these raped children needed him, and as you know it still goes on in your church today?
UNBELIEVABLE!
Michael---You still do not seem to understand the difference between the TRUTH of Christian DOCTRINE and personal CONDUCT!!
The Church IS, HAS and WILL ALWAYS be protected from error, regarding the TRUTH of DOCTRINE and TEACHINGS handed down by Jesus Christ over 2000 years ago...... The "inappropriate abusive conduct" of some of its members in the Church, has NOTHING TO DO with whether or not the Church teaches the TRUTH or not!! The issue here is DOCTRINE OF TRUTH vs CONDUCT! Jesus Christ established and formed His One True Catholic Church--"to save sinners" of which we all are!! The over 1 Billion Catholics throughout the world, follow, believe and adhere to the FACT that the Catholic Church is the ONLY CHURCH that teaches the TRUTH OF DOCTRINE in accordance with Sacred Scripture and Apostolic Tradition. The Church can and does teach that abortion, killing, sexual abuse, adultery,homosexuality, stealing ect. are sinfully wrong, however, it doesn't guarantee that people will not sin!! The sexual abuse CONDUCT by 3% of priests who have "gone against their vows" within the Catholic Church have and should be prosecuted for their abusive crimes. Their crimes of CONDUCT (again) have nothing to do the TRUTH of the Church Teaching the TRUTH OF DOCTRINE!! If you are going to judge the Church by CONDUCT, then you had better "throw out your bible" because EVERY ONE of its authors were sinners. Moses was a murderer, David was an adulterer and Paul said "I am the worst of sinners". This only goes to show how distorted and duplicious Protestants, atheists and agnostics are in their ingrained and vindictive anti-catholic confused and chaotic judgmental beligerent thinking!!
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
When referring to your cult please describe it as the "Roman Catholic Church" not the catholic church. Either get it right or quit.
Jesus founded the Catholic Church. Why do you think His Church should be called a cult?

Fort Saint James, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Theologians had to keep writing. Otherwise what would be their purpose? So they kept writing more and more stupid blather.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase & Fable by Ivor H. Evans … First published 1817.

Adoption controversy. Elipand, Archbishop of Toledo, and Felix Bishop of Urgel (in the 8th century), maintained that Christ in his human nature was the son of God by adoption only (Rom. viii, 29), though in his pre-existing state he was the “begotten Son of God” in the ordinary Catholic acceptation. The adoptionists were condemned by the Council of Frankfurt in 794.

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Seraphima" Didnt one of the Kennedys do that?
Yes. I don't recall which one, but remember reading about it.
KayMarie
if your talking about anullment from marriage,it was joe kennedy that tried to have his marrige anulled and his soon to be ex-wife went public with it because she didn't want the childrens names removed from the book of life,she was not being listened to by the church due in part a large check written out to the church and he is a kennedy,so by going public with the story the church reluctantly returned the check and refused joe's request.

Fort Saint James, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Michael---You still do not seem to understand the difference between the TRUTH of Christian DOCTRINE and personal CONDUCT!!
The Church IS, HAS and WILL ALWAYS be protected from error, regarding the TRUTH of DOCTRINE and TEACHINGS handed down by Jesus Christ over 2000 years ago...... The "inappropriate abusive conduct" of some of its members in the Church, has NOTHING TO DO with whether or not the Church teaches the TRUTH or not!! The issue here is DOCTRINE OF TRUTH vs CONDUCT! Jesus Christ established and formed His One True Catholic Church--"to save sinners" of which we all are!! The over 1 Billion Catholics throughout the world, follow, believe and adhere to the FACT that the Catholic Church is the ONLY CHURCH that teaches the TRUTH OF DOCTRINE in accordance with Sacred Scripture and Apostolic Tradition. The Church can and does teach that abortion, killing, sexual abuse, adultery,homosexuality, stealing ect. are sinfully wrong, however, it doesn't guarantee that people will not sin!! The sexual abuse CONDUCT by 3% of priests who have "gone against their vows" within the Catholic Church have and should be prosecuted for their abusive crimes. Their crimes of CONDUCT (again) have nothing to do the TRUTH of the Church Teaching the TRUTH OF DOCTRINE!! If you are going to judge the Church by CONDUCT, then you had better "throw out your bible" because EVERY ONE of its authors were sinners. Moses was a murderer, David was an adulterer and Paul said "I am the worst of sinners". This only goes to show how distorted and duplicious Protestants, atheists and agnostics are in their ingrained and vindictive anti-catholic confused and chaotic judgmental beligerent thinking!!
Truth-claiming amateur theologians pop up everywhere.

Of course there are no professional theologians ... as the word theology simply means the study of world religions.

Fort Saint James, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus founded the Catholic Church.
YEAH RIGHT!!!... just like a pope founded the Protestant church because he was in need of a new religion. His own wasn't the truth.

Silly people.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
And where in the Bible can we find proof the "wine" was fermented?
I gave 6 passages in the post you responded to. There are dozens more.

"Fundamentalist, Evangelical and Pentecostal Protestants in their false Biblical interpretation regarding wine and grape juice absolutely violates the historical content of Biblical exegesis. There must be proper methodology for legitimate interpretation. There must be a correct evaluation regarding the level of specificity of the original application in interpretation. One cannot negate Patristics and science in hermeneutical study. The hermeneutical spiral thrown by Fundamentalist and Pentecostal Protestants regarding wine jettisons all inductive assessments of facts of data regarding Biblical interpretation regarding this subject."

Unquestionable proof shown in the link below;

http://www.catholic-legate.com/Apologetics/Bi...

Fort Saint James, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Men will be men, as they play the part of gods.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

The former wife of Joseph P. Kennedy II has won a decade-old appeal to the Vatican to reverse the decision that voided their 12-year marriage in the eyes of the church.

Sheila Rauch Kennedy, whose book about the congressman's aggressive pursuit of the annulment helped to end his political career, said yesterday that she feels vindicated by the reversal, which means that the Roman Catholic Church considers the couple still married -- despite the civil dissolution of their marriage 16 years ago. In 1993, Kennedy was remarried, to his former aide, Beth Kelly, in a civil ceremony.

"When you try to defend your marriage, the army that comes after you is pretty brutal," Rauch Kennedy said yesterday from her Cambridge home. "You're accused of being a vindictive ex-wife, an alcoholic bigot, an idiot."

Rauch Kennedy said she learned of the decision in May, when she was notified by the Archdiocese of Boston. She has since learned that the ruling, which had to be translated from Latin, had actually come down in 2005.

"The [annulment] process was very dishonest and it was a process in which I was being bullied," said Rauch Kennedy, referring to her treatment by the church. "But I was very lucky. I had help from outside of the Archdiocese. Otherwise I wouldn't have known about appealing to Rome and how to do it. I feel for the people who don't get help."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/200...
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? You might want to check the statistics. 28% of Roman Catholic marriages end in divorce. This percentage does not include "annulments". If "annulments" were added to the 28% who have divorced the Roman Catholics would far exceed any other religious group claiming to be followers of Christ. On whose shoulders????
Divorce in a sacramental marriage IS NOT recognized by the Catholic Church.

Divorce IS recognized by protestant communities.

Fort Saint James, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

In the old days the men of the hierarchy held ALL the power and under this dictating pope, married couples, simple for BEING married, were treated as evil-doers.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

From the book "The History Of Christianity ... The Church from the Reformation to the Present, Volume 2, by Clyde L. Manschreck ... comes the following........

Dedicated to the austere ideals of Cluny, Gregory sought to enforce clerical celibacy not only as a purer state but as a means of freeing the church from the world. In1074 he prohibited future marriages and ordered married priests to dismiss their wives or give up reading mass. Clerical marriage from his viewpoint was no better than fornication. Laymen were urged not to take the sacraments from such guilty priests. Havoc resulted. Priests were insulted, tortured; some were driven to suicide, some even murdered. Legal wives became harlots, and legitimate children, bastards. But Gregory moved relentlessly forward, unseating bishops who opposed him, especially in the north. He enforced clerical celibacy, but at a great price and without permanence, for at the time of the Reformation in the sixteenth century the church was licensing clerical concubines and taxing the children of bishops.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••