Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 693321 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#437078 May 2, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
History shows that the pagan Roman empire persecuted Christians who called themselves Catholic. Can you cite any historical references of Christians who referred to themselves as protestant?
Off-topic.

Do you have a question that is on-topic?
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#437079 May 2, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>

One's religion is special to an adherent of that religion
Many stories were told of saviors that were expected to come in the flesh to earth ... and those faithful ones were as hopeful of being carted off to some blissful state of being in a hereafter as are the Christians and Muslims and Jews of today.

It's odd that after a while people don't catch on that the same tales told again and again with no results are simply not trustworthy.
Just sayin

Nashville, TN

#437080 May 2, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Some other religions have lasted thousands more years than Christianity and are still going strong. Your religion is not special ... except to you and those of like mind.
That doesn't remove the fact that the CC has survived and thrived for 2000 years despite being attacked (viciously) on all sides and even from within.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#437081 May 2, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that have to do with the proven historical record I showed you regards the Christians, not Catholics, because thee were none, being persecuted some three hundred years after Christ declared He would build His church!!!!!
Christendom was Catholic until the reformation.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#437082 May 2, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor any citation here.
He asked for a citation.
He got one....have him read it...

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#437083 May 2, 2013
Just sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Logic says Ox can't form a logical thought.
You can't refute the absolute truth....so you do what you do best...act silly...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#437084 May 2, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Many stories were told of saviors that were expected to come in the flesh to earth ... and those faithful ones were as hopeful of being carted off to some blissful state of being in a hereafter as are the Christians and Muslims and Jews of today.
It's odd that after a while people don't catch on that the same tales told again and again with no results are simply not trustworthy.
"No results"? Recall that Christians believe that Christ has come once already and will return.

Is there a "results timetable" you've arrived at that we should all review?
Human Being

Oberlin, LA

#437086 May 2, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll agree with this point - history is being rewritten everyday.
As for evolution - it happens.
i.e.
- Man has evolved from using hand tools of sticks and stones to computers and machines.
- The use of medicine in humans
- driving vehicles versus walking or horse and buggy
Evolution exists in these facts. It is those who skip the semanitics of something that causes the confusion.
An example of how semantics have been skipepd over in relationship to this thread:
- men decided upon only a certian amouont of texts of Jesus, thus placing their rules upon how one should believe, instead of accepting all of the teachings by Jesus and understand them as a whole.
BTW - my post you responded to, had nothing to do with me arguing evolution.
In truth - I believe we we seeded on this planet by extra-terrestrial beings - like the Sumerians wrote about.
So human evolution from monkeys, for me, is plausible, but still unlikely.
New Age Spiritual Leader:

You may be "caught" between the beginning and the end of the story.

This is what I believe:

Life on this planet originally was manifest in all its forms. Soon some of these forms began dying off. What we see now are remnants. There are no new forms, only adaptations to existing lifeforms.(For instance my skin grows dark when I am exposed to the sun.) But I am a human being. Human beings were always human beings. Animals were always animals. Plants were always plants. Insects always insects. Microbes always microbes.

As some of the old forms died, others expanded and filled in and became more numerous.

It is hard for some to think that life began everywhere, and easier to explain that it came from somewhere else.

This is what I believe.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#437087 May 2, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
He got one....have him read it...
I didn't see the citation for your post.
Ella

Rockford, MI

#437088 May 2, 2013
Just sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
That doesn't remove the fact that the CC has survived and thrived for 2000 years despite being attacked (viciously) on all sides and even from within.
The bible tells us that the anti-christ will be with us until Jesus returns.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#437090 May 2, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that have to do with the proven historical record I showed you regards the Christians, not Catholics, because thee were none, being persecuted some three hundred years after Christ declared He would build His church!!!!!
The writings from AD 110 and onward refer to all Christians as Catholic. Period. All of these writings refer to the Catholic Church. They refer to the city Churches, i.e., Ephesus, Corinth, Rome, Antioch, etc. as being Churches within the Catholic Church.

They make no mention of any Church other than the Catholic Church. There is no mention SBC, Lutheran, pentecostal, Evangelical Free, Methodist, etc.

Sorry to burst your bubble bubba.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#437091 May 2, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
YEAH RIGHT. Jesus loves Christians! Jesus turned his back on his Jews ... just for you.
That's quite a story if you can "slide" it by.
:)
TURNED HIS BACK ON THE JEWS?!?!

more like He bore His back to a brutal whipping before He willingly opened His arms so they could be nailed to a tree for the Jews, for you, me and everyone else who will simply believe!

you're listening to the wrong spirit, June:)

"He came to His own, but they received Him not"
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#437092 May 2, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
"No results"? Recall that Christians believe that Christ has come once already and will return.
Is there a "results timetable" you've arrived at that we should all review?
Well, Christians have been waiting since the first century for a savior to come "again," so it's up to you if you want to keep hoping.

I don't choose to believe in a god that would favor me, and destroy the world as being infested with evil, while the god takes me off on a cloud of heavenly bliss.

In my imagination, nothing could be less scientific and more ludicrous than such a belief.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#437093 May 2, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Christendom was Catholic until the reformation.
not true.

Did you get some snow Dan? Been snowing here all day.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#437094 May 2, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you talking dirty to the women here yet ?
Did they beg you to leave them alone yet ?
even if i were, it wouldn't be nearly as creepy as you stalking me from thread to thread. for the last time: I AM NOT GAY so will you please leave me alone?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#437095 May 2, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The writings from AD 110 and onward refer to all Christians as Catholic. Period. All of these writings refer to the Catholic Church. They refer to the city Churches, i.e., Ephesus, Corinth, Rome, Antioch, etc. as being Churches within the Catholic Church.
They make no mention of any Church other than the Catholic Church. There is no mention SBC, Lutheran, pentecostal, Evangelical Free, Methodist, etc.
Oxbow makes the mistake of not realizing Catholics are Christians and represented what Christians were until the Reformation.
Just sayin

Nashville, TN

#437096 May 2, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't refute the absolute truth....so you do what you do best...act silly...
I'm sorry, was I supposed to take you seriously?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#437097 May 2, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, Christians have been waiting since the first century for a savior to come "again," so it's up to you if you want to keep hoping.
I don't choose to believe in a god that would favor me, and destroy the world as being infested with evil, while the god takes me off on a cloud of heavenly bliss.
In my imagination, nothing could be less scientific and more ludicrous than such a belief.
The only thing less scientific and more ludicrous than that might be your Quixotic efforts to render the belief null and void simply by virtue of your proclamation.

We get it already. You don't believe it. Do you want a T-Shirt or something?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#437098 May 2, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
not true.
Did you get some snow Dan? Been snowing here all day.
Absolutely true, Marge.

What did all the Reformation beliefs shoot off from?
Ella

Rockford, MI

#437099 May 2, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
If this is true, then why didn't the bible mention it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Love in the air: Pope marries couple on papal p... 7 hr Pardon Pard 1
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Jan 9 Apostolic of another 10,701
News For New Year, pope urges help for refugees, res... Jan 1 South Knox Hombre 1
News Faith Matters: Top local faith stories for 2017 Dec 30 D dicampli 1
News Topless protester tries to grab baby Jesus figu... Dec 28 Donald J Trump 2
News Pope urges compassion from politicians who fan ... Dec 20 Truth Be Told 9
News Pope Francis is greeted by young children in tr... Nov '17 TRUE CATHOLIC her... 1
More from around the web