Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 641620 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#436966 May 2, 2013
If a creator existed and wanted us to know truth, we would all know.

If a creator exists and does not want us to know truth, then that creator enjoys watching humans fight, often to the death over who are the favorites of the creator.

I was under the spell of religion, so I comprehend how the theologians keep people divided by dogma with no intention of creating peace.

They simply want their own dogmas to be followed as they wax proud, claiming they all own truth.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#436967 May 2, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Infallible???
Lies are not infallible.
Jews didn't need or want a new religion. Judaism was their teaching and preaching.
They idea that you can ride on the shirt-tales of a Jewish savior to take you to Catholic heaven, is beyond ludicrous!
You know June, I think you've got a point. After 5,000 of the same rants, I think you finally got thru to me!
Rotflol!!

Quesnel, Canada

#436968 May 2, 2013
Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase & Fable by Ivor H. Evans … First published 1817.

Odium theologicum (o di um the o loj ikim)(Lat.). The bitter hatred of rival theologians. No wars so sanguinary as holy wars; no persecutions so relentless as religious persecutions; no hatred so bitter as theological hatred.

Quesnel, Canada

#436969 May 2, 2013
People in many religions claimed saviors came to earth sent by gods and were going to come again.

Those saviors never showed up to save each individual group that preached of the coming saviors.

The myth of Jesus as the latest savior is of course popular in our era ... but the same type of promises occurred in all the other religions in those ancient eras.

They waited and waited for those saviors to come and end the world of its evil and take the saved to bliss in a hereafter.

It's an old, old story, told and retold. Different names for the saviors ... but the story had the same basic LINE.

Quesnel, Canada

#436970 May 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You know June, I think you've got a point. After 5,000 of the same rants, I think you finally got thru to me!
Rotflol!!
Others can't get through to you. You have to be willing to see from a different perspective before any change will occur.

The fact that you believe a Jew will lead Catholics to salvation in a heaven, when Jews don't even believe they go to heaven, ought to stimulate your conscience that something is wrong with that picture. But you won't see it until you want to see it.

Quesnel, Canada

#436971 May 2, 2013
Theologian earned and do earn their livings by being story-tellers.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

From the book, Eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven … Uta Ranke-Heinemann

It may be noted in passing that the peculiarly celibate problem of whether the nocturnal “pollutions” of priests and monks were sinful, and to what degree, kept moral theologians extremely busy. Their comments on the subject fill entire libraries.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#436972 May 2, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
New Age Spiritual Leader:
Evolution is a theory, not a fact.(In general we accept it because we were taught it in school. But science is completely overturned about every 8-10 years in college now. Most of what we were taught years ago were bogus theories, and interpretted data. And it still is.)
It, as well as cosmology has theories. So many theories, that there is so much confusion by scientists, they have lost common sense.
(Most scientists in the field of evolution, agree there are no facts, no data. It is a patched-up mess, as well as cosmology.)
I'll agree with this point - history is being rewritten everyday.

As for evolution - it happens.

i.e.
- Man has evolved from using hand tools of sticks and stones to computers and machines.
- The use of medicine in humans
- driving vehicles versus walking or horse and buggy

Evolution exists in these facts. It is those who skip the semanitics of something that causes the confusion.

An example of how semantics have been skipepd over in relationship to this thread:
- men decided upon only a certian amouont of texts of Jesus, thus placing their rules upon how one should believe, instead of accepting all of the teachings by Jesus and understand them as a whole.

BTW - my post you responded to, had nothing to do with me arguing evolution.

In truth - I believe we we seeded on this planet by extra-terrestrial beings - like the Sumerians wrote about.

So human evolution from monkeys, for me, is plausible, but still unlikely.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#436973 May 2, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="jethro8" this is why i believe in stem cell research,and don't understand why the church is against it.......
A 2-year-old girl born without a windpipe now has a new one grown from her own stem cells, the youngest patient in the world to benefit from the experimental treatment.
Hannah Warren has been unable to breathe, eat, drink or swallow on her own since she was born in South Korea in 2010. Until the operation at a central Illinois hospital, she had spent her entire life in a hospital in Seoul. Doctors there told her parents there was no hope and they expected her to die.
The stem cells came from Hannah's bone marrow, extracted with a special needle inserted into her hip bone. They were seeded in a lab onto a plastic scaffold, where it took less than a week for them to multiply and create a new windpipe.
About the size of a 3-inch tube of penne pasta, it was implanted April 9 in a nine-hour procedure.
Early signs indicate the windpipe is working, Hannah's doctors announced Tuesday, although she is still on a ventilator. They believe she will eventually be able to live at home and lead a normal life.
"We feel like she's reborn," said Hannah's father, Darryl Warren.
I don't think anyone is against this use of one's own stem cells. I am opposed to using an aborted baby for such things.
KM
i see no harm inthat if the woman is going to have the abortion no matter what,why not use the cells,the baby in a way is helping man kind even thoughhe/she will not be able to enjoy it's benefits

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#436975 May 2, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't respond by posting ideas rather than insults?
That wasn't an insult....that was a direct assessment of what LTM did, when she shouldn't be doing it.

Are you a forum monitor?

If so, maybe you should be monitoring more and responding less?

Really June, is this you stance?

Maybe if you take yourself out of a sincle quotation book and actually read some of the material you posit, you woul better understadn the meanings around what you post.

Quesnel, Canada

#436976 May 2, 2013
I would never believe the theologians, and that is what kept me asking questions rather than settling for supposed answers.

It always bothered me that the theologians couldn't agree on dogmas, yet always claimed to know the answers.

Asking questions should never be put down as lack of faith.

My faith is in the idea that if there is nothing to hide, theologians would not be training people to never ask question concerning their theologies. They would want people to ask questions on all subjects ... especially religion.

Theologians have much to hide.

Quesnel, Canada

#436977 May 2, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
That wasn't an insult....that was a direct assessment of what LTM did, when she shouldn't be doing it.
Are you a forum monitor?
If so, maybe you should be monitoring more and responding less?
Really June, is this you stance?
Maybe if you take yourself out of a sincle quotation book and actually read some of the material you posit, you woul better understadn the meanings around what you post.
Thank you for your opinion.

usa

#436978 May 2, 2013
Religion - A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you.
It's just so amazing that the supposed teacher of perfect morals to mankind -- continues to honor in such a blatant and public manner someone who covered up child abuse by over 90 Priests.
I get it. Cardinal Law was a good soldier for the Vatican. But it is painfully clear that the catholic church still does not.
90 molesting priests?? you left out a few zero's there,it dates back to 1400's pope julius had a boy toy back in 1487-1555,90 is probally from one month,we'll never know the true number because the church will never be honest about it, but in the 2000 yrs it was created by constantine and his 100 men,the number is more than likely up into the thousands.

Quesnel, Canada

#436979 May 2, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Because on forums we don't see body language, facial expressions, or tones of voice, it is easy to take the wrong meaning from what people post.

It I took the wrong meaning from what you intended, when you didn't mean it as an insult, I apologize.

I've assumed wrong before, and I expect I'll do it again. But it's not on purpose. It's simply that I don't get it right.

Sorry.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#436980 May 2, 2013
Aretha123 wrote:
<quoted text>I never said it was the True Church. You are locked into some kind of warp. I said your throwing this up in people's faces 24-7 is not representative of the Churchs founder- Christ.
Christ established "only one" TRUE CHURCH,---- NOT 42,000+ contradicting, and inconsistent Protestant "RELATIVE TRUTH" (what each person "decides for themselves to be true)"denominations that began over 450 years ago with the Reformation...... I/we as Catholics, are just "defending" the TRUTH of over 2000 years of Jesus Christs One True Apostolic Catholic Church..........You bible only bigots are the ones that keep "throwing out" your Protestant "fictitious history myths" as well "your own interpretation (or better yet mis-interpretation) of the bible, making it mean "only what YOU want it to mean"!! Jesus confirms, verifies and gives us His "one and only" TRUE Church in Matthew 16:13-21, appointing Peter (and his bishops successors) as His earthly representative to lead HIS Church, until Jesus (himself) returns again for the second time here on earth. Jesus INITIATED it, Paul VERIFIES it in 1 Timothy 3:15 calling the Church (not the bible alone) as the pinnacle, pillar and foundation of the TRUTH, Church History CONFIRMS it over and over again for over 2000 years.
Religion - A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#436981 May 2, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>90 molesting priests?? you left out a few zero's there,it dates back to 1400's pope julius had a boy toy back in 1487-1555,90 is probally from one month,we'll never know the true number because the church will never be honest about it, but in the 2000 yrs it was created by constantine and his 100 men,the number is more than likely up into the thousands.
I was only referring to one Cardinal and how he was honored by the Vatican with an esteemed position.

I don't think this is a uniquely Catholic problem, any more than any other religion.

But it is a Catholic problem per the title of this board. The claim is empty.

They have shown their god is equally imaginary as all others.
Religion - A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#436982 May 2, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
yes - i would officially like to go on record as saying "Jesus is God and I embrace Him with all that I am".
thank you for bringing that out of me and getting it on record!:)
Cool. That's called an opinion based solely on faith. However, it would be more correct to start your statement with "I believe..."

Prove it and millions of $$$ in reward money are yours.

In all probability, this god was drilled into you since early childhood. Your god is based on where you were born and the culture in which you were raised.

Yes?

Every day I make the same prediction, and every day I am correct.

The reward money will still be there tomorrow.
Religion - A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#436983 May 2, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Because on forums we don't see body language, facial expressions, or tones of voice, it is easy to take the wrong meaning from what people post.
It I took the wrong meaning from what you intended, when you didn't mean it as an insult, I apologize.
I've assumed wrong before, and I expect I'll do it again. But it's not on purpose. It's simply that I don't get it right.
Sorry.
A good point.

"Because on forums we don't see body language, facial expressions, or tones of voice, it is easy to take the wrong meaning from what people post."

usa

#436984 May 2, 2013
Pope Francis I wrote:
<quoted text>
Your Pope prays for those gone astray such as you have dearest.
May the Lord accept the sacrefice at your hands for the praise and glory of His name, for our good , and for the good of all His Holy Church.
The Old Testament is rather outdated and Your Pope understands that it was created by the wise men of the early ages as a source to be the law for man and to give him some of the answers that he was searching for.
In these early times, very few men were considered wise and it was left to them to come up with the best reasonings of how man came to be and the lives of those who followed...hence Adam and Eve and the rest throughout the ages. The laws, or Ten Commandments' were great laws and kept most people in check. One can't imagine what thee world would have been like without the laws based on what the world was like with the laws.
After Jesus Christ, the Son of GOD was born, and lived, and died on the Cross, and arose from the dead...things changed. These happenings formed the New Testament in which Christ's teachings are followed today in the Holy Roman Catholic Church.
The Holy Roman Catholic Church is the ONE True Church to itself. All other Christian denominations are deviations of the Catholic Church and instituted to self-serve their own interests. The Church of England is a very good example.....started up by King Henry VIII because he was refused to be divorced by the Catholic Church to marry another woman which infuriated him so much that he 'broke' with the church, became excommunicated and in the end suffered an agnozing death in mental anguish knowing and believing that he was going to hell.
We believe in GOD, the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth.
Your Pope
Francis I
the pope is more than likely praying she'll come back because they want her money.King Henry VIII died from over eating and never ate anything except meat&bread,strawberries,an d drank ale he had 13 meals a day.to him vegtables were for peasants not royalty.
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#436985 May 2, 2013
Thursday, May 02, 2013
St. Athanasius, Bishop and Doctor of the Church
(295?-373)

Athanasius led a tumultuous but dedicated life of service to the Church. He was the great champion of the faith against the widespread heresy of Arianism, the teaching by Arius that Jesus was not truly divine. The vigor of his writings earned him the title of doctor of the Church.

Born of a Christian family in Alexandria, Egypt, and given a classical education, Athanasius became secretary to Alexander, the bishop of Alexandria, entered the priesthood and was eventually named bishop himself. His predecessor, Alexander, had been an outspoken critic of a new movement growing in the East—Arianism.

When Athanasius assumed his role as bishop of Alexandria, he continued the fight against Arianism. At first it seemed that the battle would be easily won and that Arianism would be condemned. Such, however, did not prove to be the case. The Council of Tyre was called and for several reasons that are still unclear, the Emperor Constantine exiled Athanasius to northern Gaul. This was to be the first in a series of travels and exiles reminiscent of the life of St. Paul.

After Constantine died, his son restored Athanasius as bishop. This lasted only a year, however, for he was deposed once again by a coalition of Arian bishops. Athanasius took his case to Rome, and Pope Julius I called a synod to review the case and other related matters.

Five times Athanasius was exiled for his defense of the doctrine of Christ’s divinity. During one period of his life, he enjoyed 10 years of relative peace—reading, writing and promoting the Christian life along the lines of the monastic ideal to which he was greatly devoted. His dogmatic and historical writings are almost all polemic, directed against every aspect of Arianism.

Among his ascetical writings, his Life of St. Anthony (January 17) achieved astonishing popularity and contributed greatly to the establishment of monastic life throughout the Western Christian world.

Comment:

Athanasius suffered many trials while he was bishop of Alexandria. He was given the grace to remain strong against what probably seemed at times to be insurmountable opposition. Athanasius lived his office as bishop completely.

He defended the true faith for his flock, regardless of the cost to himself. In today’s world we are experiencing this same call to remain true to our faith, no matter what.
http://www.americancatholic.org/features/sain...

Quesnel, Canada

#436986 May 2, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ established "only one" TRUE CHURCH
The ex-Jew Catholics claimed that Jesus came as a savior to save only those of the Catholic faith.

The word Christ means Messiah. The word Jesus also means Messiah.

Jesus Christ ... Messiah Messiah.

How silly is that?

The Jews had their Christ, in that they were already the chosen few. The Catholics had to add Jesus to the brew in hopes of people believing that Jesus Christ was a divine man who came to earth to save ONLY Catholics.

If you separate those two words, the Jews had their Messiah, but the ex-Jew Catholics never had one ... so they created another one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 5 hr I recently left 10,106
News Pope's zero tolerance for pedophiles faces test... (Mar '15) Fri Gods r Delusions ... 4
News Pope Francis eases way for divorced Catholics w... Fri truth 55
News Pope Francis meets top Sunni cleric May 24 Bullet Proof Pope 1
News Pope Francis: Islam's Friend, Christianity's Foe? May 23 naman 1
News Pope Francis meets with victims of child sexual... May 20 humor in everything 2
News Pope says he's willing to study women deacons, ... May 16 Redeemed 3
More from around the web