Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 554,564
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

#435583 Apr 26, 2013
Maybe people could find entertainment by booger-picking contents ... as in who has the biggest and juiciest boogers.

It would be a refreshing change from those in religion bragging about who has the real authentic god!

No swords, guns, or knives allowed ... of course.

:)

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/picking-your-nos...
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#435584 Apr 26, 2013

Should the Bible be interpreted literally?
Skeptics of the Bible often ask Christians:“You don’t take the Bible literally do you…??!” The question reveals an attitude of disbelief, an incredulity that anyone could actually believe that the Bible should be read as nonfiction literature.

If the questioner knows anything about the Bible, sometimes he’ll try to bolster his case by asking follow-up questions like,“In John, Jesus says,‘I am the door’– is Jesus really a door?” or “In Psalms, the writer asks to take shelter under God’s wings – is God a bird, then?” This line of argumentation is known in logic as reductio ad absurdum, in which a proposition (or set of propositions) is refuted by showing that it leads to a logically absurd consequence.

However, the fact of the matter is the literal-historical-grammatical method of biblical interpretation is the most logical. Its aim is to discover the meaning of the passage as the original author would have intended and what the original hearers would have understood. This interpretive approach embraces the fact that the Bible includes various genres (narrative, poetry, didactic teaching, etc.) and literary techniques (metaphors, hyperbole, etc.), but states that such things do not take away from the literalness of the Bible at all. In fact, these techniques are standard fare in nonfiction literature and used in everyday language to communicate truth.

For example, the Bible uses what is called phenomenological language to describe everyday things in common speech. A case in point is found in the book of Joshua: "It came about at sunset that Joshua gave a command, and they took them down from the trees and threw them into the cave where they had hidden themselves, and put large stones over the mouth of the cave, to this very day" (Joshua 10:27). When the Bible mentions “sunset,” it doesn’t mean that the sun actually went down from a scientific perspective. Even today, meteorologists don’t say that “tomorrow’s earth rotation will make the sun disappear at 9 P.M.,” but speak of the “sunset.”

The Bible also uses hyperbole–an obvious and intentional exaggeration–to communicate literal truth. An instance of hyperbole is found in the book of John: "So the Pharisees said to one another,‘You see that you are not doing any good; look, the world has gone after Him’"(John 12:19). The literal truth behind this statement is that large numbers were following Jesus, a fact not hard to understand from reading the text.

The Bible is also full of metaphors, figures of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not woodenly applicable in order to suggest a resemblance. For instance, Moses calls God “The Rock!” in Deuteronomy 32:3. Jesus calling Himself the door in John 10:9 is another illustration. His point was not that He was flat, rectangular, or swung on hinges, but that He was the way of entrance into the kingdom of God.

Additionally, Scripture uses anthropomorphisms, which represent God in another form, or with other living attributes and affections: "Let me dwell in Your tent forever; Let me take refuge in the shelter of Your wings”(Psalm 61:4).

The Bible also makes use of personification, which assigns a personal attribute to inanimate objects or abstract notions:“For you will go out with joy and be led forth with peace; the mountains and the hills will break forth into shouts of joy before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands" (Isaiah 55:12).

Perhaps the most common literary technique causing some to reject its literalness involves symbolism. A couple examples of symbolism are found in this passage in Revelation:“In His [Jesus’] right hand He held seven stars, and out of His mouth came a sharp two-edged sword; and His face was like the sun shining in its strength”(Revelation 1:16). Is Jesus really holding stars in His hand, and is there really a sword in His mouth?

cont
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#435585 Apr 26, 2013
cont

Most times, the Bible explains its own symbolism. In the above case, the explanation is given of the seven stars a few verses later: "The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches”(Revelation 1:20). The thing to remember is that the symbol points to a literal object behind the figurative language.

When the above truths are understood, it becomes much easier to embrace the fact that the literal-historical-grammatical method of biblical interpretation is the best and most obvious way to read and understand the Bible. The fact that figures of speech and other literary devices are used in Scripture in no way takes away from its nonfiction message.

----------

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#435586 Apr 26, 2013
who="Just sayin"
Mary, the mother of God, the woman who concieved Him, bore Him, raised Him and taught Him the Jewish faith, was not included in God's plan of salvation?
Really?

In her place...doing the part He gave her to fulfill. NOT a part of the Godhead.

KM

Vanderhoof, Canada

#435587 Apr 26, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Because all religions are from man, not God.
Men lie,
I agree ... and they lied when they compiled data in their so-called holy books and claimed that gods inspired those words.

Men should have owned up to those lies long ago ... but those such as Billy Graham continue blathering to his admirers as though his own words never contradicted each other.

My guess is he will die without ever being sorry for preaching lies, as he plans on "Jesus" cleansing (from his perspective) his small little sin.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#435588 Apr 26, 2013
Those who believe that a god created Adam and Eve knowing they would sin, must ignore the idea that the god wanted sinners to sin.

Nobody forced the god to create Adam and Eve. According to theologians, that was HIS plan.

So that means when we suffer, it's BECAUSE of god!!!

Silly dogmas.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#435589 Apr 26, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
One more thing Dan, the Holy Spirit is not leaving you to grope around in the dark. That little voice in the back of your head telling you the Catholic Church may be right isn't just your imagination, He may have led you to this forum for a reason.
None more thing Anthony,you have a good life and trust in the LORD,and walk by faith and not by sight.

However,the truth lies not in the religion of Christianity,but the Life and teachings,crucifixion,death,an d resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.

It is no mistake that the Lord Jesus is known by many,IF God our Father is blessing us with the glorious revelation of His dear Son,than as a GOOD and faithful Father,He will not give us delusion.

I do not state,nor have I ever said that any church when giving us the gospel passes out garbage.But the things that distract and shadow the truth are the many trappings churches organized by human kind bring,too often to sound like doctrine.

Well we know that old story of polutions in the ranks,the bad apples which poison the whole basket of good apples.It has all been said.

I have listened for two years now JOURNEY HOME with Marcus Grodi,and the protestants and other non Catholics who have "COME HOME" Reverts as well,as I would be called if I came home to the Roman Catholic Church.

Yes,I have reasoned with it,and read things concerning the strides of the Catholic church in this century,the many good things that are there,the organized efforts to evangelize in a way that will appeal to many to convert to Christ through the RCC.ALWAYS with an open mind,I have to see Christ within,as He is Love,truth and the sound mind,that He promised all who come to Him by faith.

B u t,I see Christ in all Christian movements.Most of the people I know that profess genuine faith in Christ are evangelicals of various affiliations,and they all sound the same,redeemed by the blood of the Lamb,the same and perfect testimony of what Christ has done,and is doing.The Catholics I see daily ,some have a similar faith,but they are promoting their church.WHATEVER! I do not care that they do that,but I see a maturity in evangelicals that arises from genuine faith and ultimate respect for the Word of God.We do not look at organizations or physical things to energize our faith,but the Spirit.

That is why transubstantiation is something contrived by men,it is based on physical elements,rather than the Spiritual essence of the True and Living God."TASTE AND SEE THAT THE LORD IS GOOD." We taste and see of a spiritual essence,not physical that rots or can be discarded for rats to eat.

Not saying that many of yours do not enter into the spiritual,I know better,but as our faith is rooted in the most holy of HOLIES,G O D in Three Persons,so is our practice and exercise of faith in that same Spirit,that goes beyond the physical elements.

Our Communion in the memorial of His Body is sacred,not because a man consecrates it,but because Christ D I E D,and passed to us all that spiritual Passover to identify with the Hebrews of old that escaped the death angel in Genesis.What any of us do in the Name of Christ is discerned by the PERSON Himself.We by f a i t h,not by decree or ordinance receive of the bounty of the LORD,through His Son.Not that any of us Anthony deserve it,but that Christ paid that ultimate price to share with us all,so that in faith,and most of all by His grace,we can live IN HIM and have our being.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#435591 Apr 26, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you address my post??
1. Catholics do teach tradition trumps the bible. The Bible teaches to pray to God the Father in the name of Christ....Catholics pray to Mary and dead "saints"...I know...been there done that..
According to hojo and clay what I am saying is a lie.
Scripture:
Mt 6:9 ¶ After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.(we are to pray to our Father in Heaven)
And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.(we are to pray to our Father in Heaven in the name of Jesus Christ....)
Who can show any lies in the Word of God??
I'll address your post AFTER you respond to mine with respect and intelligence, instead of what you chose to do and said, "when you can add intelligence....etc..."

Stop twisting your non-effort back at me "Christian". You are acting like a Catholic.

Albuquerque, NM

#435592 Apr 26, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
IGNORED
Of course you will....as it seems that most so-called "Christians" refuse to believe in all opf what Jesus taught.

Ignoring Jesus is jsut what men decided to do.

You fit in perfectly.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#435593 Apr 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Those who believe that a god created Adam and Eve knowing they would sin, must ignore the idea that the god wanted sinners to sin.
Nobody forced the god to create Adam and Eve. According to theologians, that was HIS plan.
So that means when we suffer, it's BECAUSE of god!!!
Silly dogmas.
Iwonder sometimes JUNE,where you come from? Your rationale is zero quality when it comes to biblical teaching or the Word,as you interpret it.You lack the most important ingredient to your quest to use the Scriptures to wake us up to the empty and dull life of an atheist.LIFE.You dear one are dead spiritually,no matter how much you may claim otherwise.

Suffering is a given as our humanity is limited by the very flesh and blood of our physiology. Young people suffer less for the most part,because their bodies are young,strong and purposed to work and strive.When we grow older,we grow D I M,everything slows down,that is unless we perfect everything we eat,and go on a tremendous exercise program to counter aging.

Sin is a rebellion against the better reasoning and common sense of GOD.If a man goes with a young woman and they have sex outside of marriage and commitment,they sin.You say no that is not the case.Well here is why that is the case:

Sin is a violation of what God has determined in us to do what is right.The man and woman who have intercourse just for the pleasure of it,physically are having a great time,but emotionally and spiritually they are opening the door to suffering down the road.When that same couple decides to live together because they are having such a great time in bed,they are setting themselves up for future derision and heartache.NOT because of the physical act of enjoying each other's bodies.

BUT because they have joined themselves together in a non commiting union,that gives rise to their own options,and act of will.Sounds complexed,and it is,because God has made it so ,to protect us from the many pitfalls in relationships.TODAY,more than ever in history people are living together,having children,and are not commited to each other for the long haul of life contained in a marriage agreement.Divorce is the option to end marriage,but the fact is our sinful wills and desires wreak havoc destroying relationships,leaving children to be passed to and fro from one set of couples to another.It is apparent we live in a society that has cast out human bonds of marriage commitment to the far winds.

I am trying to bring out an example which is big in our way of life,as to the rebellion human beings daily throw in the face of their Creator,who by reason and much love formed in us the reality of true commitment and trust.

Now no one trusts anyone,divorce is on a huge scale,couples change partners like we change our appetites in the fast food industry.

Sin has its casualties,you blame God,that is really a blind spot for you,and you just do not see it June.Where are you going dear lady?What kind of end are you leading to?

Albuquerque, NM

#435594 Apr 26, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You remind me of a retarded ditch digger trying to perform brain surgery!!!!!
Debating delusions.
Let us pray:
"Dear Jesus, please cure cancer for all of mankind today at 5 p.m.
EDT. Amen"
Why not?
Because deep down inside, we all know it's imaginary.
Not deep inside....just below the surface we know...based on God's Word...the prayer quoted above will fall on deaf ears.
The Word of God says we are to pray to God the Father in the name of Jesus Christ, His Son.
Hey GiF - this "ditch digger" can dig trenches around you when it comes to Jesus.

Albuquerque, NM

#435595 Apr 26, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Men lie, Religions come from greedy power hungry men.
Salvation comes from God not man.
You are mixed up big time if you put your faith in a man made religion and not in a faithful all knowing God.
I am sorry you were let down, you took your eyes off of Jesus expecting man to fulfill your needs bad mistake sweety.
You say this out one side of your mouth, but kiss the but of your preacher out of the other.

Stop being a hypocrite and liar.

Albuquerque, NM

#435596 Apr 26, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Men lie, Religions come from greedy power hungry men.
Salvation comes from God not man.
You are mixed up big time if you put your faith in a man made religion and not in a faithful all knowing God.
I am sorry you were let down, you took your eyes off of Jesus expecting man to fulfill your needs bad mistake sweety.
So you are no longer a "Christian"?

Can you admit it honestly?

If one is to releagte what you wrote above, it would look like that you are not one, and admit the Bible was also of men's doing....but you haven't stepped up to that level yet, huh?

You think men did this and that, but still can't fathom that "God" didn't write the Bible.

You are still lost. But no worries - the astonishment will come if you let it.
socci

Plattsburg, MO

#435597 Apr 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
So that means when we suffer, it's BECAUSE of god!

When God finished creation he said "it was good." This means Satan was not in the world. But, Satan and the angels were also given free will and we are told one-third chose to rebel. Thus introduced sin into the world. Man otherwise would have no reason to reject their creator and do evils.
Remember, Jesus is recorded telling us about Satan meaning he and the angels are real even if we have never seen them. If Jesus is God, Satan and the angels are as recorded.
socci

Plattsburg, MO

#435598 Apr 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Christians made up a story of a savior, and to Christians the word Jesus means "salvation."
Muslims made up a story of a savior, and to the Muslims Mohammad is their way to salvation.
Both groups believe those men walked the earth in spirit form and material form.
Both groups teach that they must believe as the theologians dictate is true, or they can't be saved.
And both groups teach that there is only one god.

History does not support your opinions. Islam was formed in the 7th century.
Christianity was the fulfillment of OT prophecies as revealed by God as only he could know this.

Atheism comes from Rome to deceive the masses away from the Biblical truth. The Father of the 'Big Bang' hoax was a Jesuit!
socci

Plattsburg, MO

#435599 Apr 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
One pope preached that Joan of Arc was a heretic, and the other pope preached she was a saint.
And both popes USED words from the same bible.

Both popes were wrong as the Bible does not support the pope at all!

www.who-is-the-antichrist.org
socci

Plattsburg, MO

#435600 Apr 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Billy Graham is a Protestant who at one time preached that only Christians could go to "heaven."
Now he preaches that people don't have to be Christian to go to heaven.
Surely you can see that he hasn't a clue, yet pretends he has answers.

Graham claims to be a Protestant. This is not so as he is a Freemason. He cannot be Rome's Templar and Protestant at the same time.

Next time cite the Bible only.

Try harder.
Just sayin

Antioch, TN

#435601 Apr 26, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Just sayin"
Mary, the mother of God, the woman who concieved Him, bore Him, raised Him and taught Him the Jewish faith, was not included in God's plan of salvation?
Really?
In her place...doing the part He gave her to fulfill. NOT a part of the Godhead.
KM
Whoever claimed that Mary is part of the Godhead?
Human Being

Elton, LA

#435602 Apr 26, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what is the purpose of any religion, if man doesn't get a say, yet want to dictate for what you are to believe?
BTW - this would Self.
New Age Spiritual Leader:

I should think that in the more primitive societies it is perhaps a bit easier to live and be at "one" with the environment, than it is in our modern societies which are fragmented, and rather alienated from the sense of "oneness".

This alienation(aloneness) is perceived of as distance from God due to sin. And so many are easily led this way and that, each according to their want and need because of alienation. And so accepting the dictates of a greater heirarchy is often a means through obedience to achieving oness.

Many fear direct contact with God.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#435603 Apr 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Since approximately 1949 to 2013 ... the new religion of modern Paganism has rooted itself into society.
Many lies were told in the process, but the same is true of all religions.
One of the lies is that ancient Paganism was about goddess LOVE.
Ancient Pagans burned humans and animals in the flames as sacrifices to their imaginary gods.
Another lie, from what I have studied, was that the Christians were not burning Pagans at the stake in the Middle Ages. They were burning each other as witches. Such was the case with Joan of Arc, who was Catholic, but was burned BY the Catholic hierarchy as a witch.
Religion never was about telling truth. It was about grouping and re-grouping for the next onslaught of torture and killing in the name of the gods and goddesses.
Modern Pagans will try to fool others, but having dealt with them on these threads, I believe they can be as nasty and underhanded in dealing with others as to make some of these Christians appear as straight-forward.
the most popular pagan trend is to worship the little grey blob inside their own head, between their own lil 2 ears. no kidding! their modern priests & 'holy' men are called "scientists" and "doctors" and their congregants believe everything they say and write and go around chanting "they say they say they say...". more people have been murdered by their own leaders than ever before in all of history put together!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 42 min Jesus saves 8,647
Bagnasco controversy over sacrament comments as... 8 hr RevKen 1
Bagnasco 'agrees with pope' 14 hr RevKen 2
Filipino Catholics hails new saints (Apr '14) Fri KidlatNgayon 65
Obama a hugely impresseda with Pope Francis (Oct '13) Nov 19 truthseeker7 3
Pope Francis' visit to Palestinian refugee camp... (May '14) Nov 19 truthseeker7 2
Pope's visit will change Philippines, Cardinal ... Nov 18 QUITTNER Nov19 2014 26

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE