Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the Jul 10, 2007, CBC News story titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#435495 Apr 25, 2013
What are the Catholic Apocrypha / Deuterocanonical books?
The Apocrypha (also called the Deuterocanonical books) are included in Roman Catholic Bibles and are used by some other traditions within Christianity. What are these additional writings? What is their origin? First, the words themselves cause many readers to pause. The word apocrypha means “hidden,” while the word deuterocanonical means “second canon.” The books found in the Apocrypha were primarily written during the four-hundred-year period between the completion of the Old Testament writings and the beginning of the New Testament’s events (they also include claimed additions to the Old Testament books of Esther and Daniel). These books include 1 Esdras, 2 Esdras, Tobit, Judith, Wisdom of Solomon, Ecclesiasticus, Baruch, the Letter of Jeremiah, Prayer of Manasseh, 1 Maccabees, and 2 Maccabees.

Within early Judaism, the writings of the Apocrypha were treated with respect, but were not accepted as books of the Hebrew Bible. The early Christian church debated the status of the Apocryphal writings, but few early Christians believed they belonged in the canon of Scripture. The New Testament quotes passages from the Old Testament hundreds of times, but nowhere quotes any of the Apocrypha’s books. Further, there are many proven historical errors and contradictions in the Apocrypha.

The Apocryphal books also teach some practices that are inconsistent with Scripture’s teachings. While many Catholics accepted the Apocrypha earlier, the Roman Catholic Church officially added the Apocrypha to their Bible at the Council of Trent in the mid 1500’s A.D., primarily in response to the Protestant Reformation. Part of the reason for this is that the Apocrypha supports some of the traditions the Roman Catholic Church practices that are not taught in the Bible. For example, the Roman Catholic practices of praying for the dead, petitioning “saints” in heaven with their prayers, worshiping angels, and “alms giving” to atone for sins (paying indulgences) all find their support in the Apocrypha, not the Bible.

Some of the Apocrypha include important and helpful information, but due to their historical and theological errors, the books must be viewed as fallible historical and religious documents, not as the inspired, authoritative Word of God.
socci

Plattsburg, MO

#435496 Apr 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
When the Jews believed in multiple gods, they had no problem with other gods being worshipped by those in other religions.
But when some of the Jews branched off of polytheism to create the one-god dogma ... they wrote into their book "thou shalt have no other gods before me" which they hoped would stop the worship of multiple gods in all the other religions worshipped up to that time.
But those Jews were not cunning enough to think of writing "thou shalt have no other gods AFTER me."
Had they done written that into their book, my guess is, there would be no Catholics, Muslims or Protestants.

Have no other gods comes from the beginning in GENESIS. The book of Genesis was not written by the Jews.

Theory on the authorship of the book of Genesis:
http://archive.org/details/WhoWroteTheBookOfG...

United States

#435497 Apr 25, 2013
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
Revelation 3:7 "To the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open.
Doesn't sound like your Pope is holding the key to me.
-
-
Clay wrote:
Why?
And who are you to decide if it is or isn't?
Question: Jesus had a set of keys, right?
Did Jesus Christ give them to Peter or not?
You guys say you're word for word sola scripturist..
This one seems as obvious as anything written in the entire Bible.
-
How sad.
Who is the pope to decide if it is or isn't?
Especially after the world has been 'blessed' popes who:
ordered torture and murder of heretics,
sheltered pedophiles,
waged war,
signed concordats with Hitler,
murdered other popes,
... I could go on ...
-
and you think he has NOT lost the right to represent God and his son Jesus?
-
Dust Storm said it WAS and OFFICE that could be taken away ...

so tell me, Clay. Just what level of atrocities would warrant this "office" to be taken form your church?
-
Think hard, because I think the head bishops of your church have pretty much covered every kind of horror and atrocity there is.
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#435498 Apr 25, 2013
Aretha123 wrote:
<quoted text>You seem to think you know who everyone is especially how Christian everyone is. You don't know me. You don't even know yourself. You don't know that part of you that posts the "corrective" posts.
Please find someone else to grind your axe on. I'm not taking the bait.

Peace be with you.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#435499 Apr 25, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I added much intelligence. You are the one refusing to answer or even post support for the claims you made.
You are starting to act like a Catholic, the ones you seem to despise.
Self.
You are confused...again..

Babbling: To utter a meaningless confusion of words or sounds...

No intelligence in babbling....really..
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#435500 Apr 25, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
And who are you to decide if it is or isn't?
Question: Jesus had a set of keys, right?
Did Jesus Christ give them to Peter or not?
You guys say you're word for word sola scripturist..
This one seems as obvious as anything written in the entire Bible.
The word made flesh we still have the word and we still have Christ. However peter is dead and in the grave til the resurrection the only thing he and the other apostle passed on was the new testament on parchment and scrolls for the generations to come.
socci

Plattsburg, MO

#435501 Apr 25, 2013
Just as the catholic 'virgin mary' is NOT the mother of Jesus Mary who was a virgin the so-called keys of Peter also predate Christianity to previous religions of Rome. The keys are also found in Islam and other religions. Rome only seized upon a biblical text otherwise known as gnosticism. The Roman Church was founded by the first gnostic, Simon Magus.
marge

Ames, IA

#435502 Apr 25, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Please find someone else to grind your axe on. I'm not taking the bait.
Peace be with you.
So your just going to talk about us instead of to us? Come on Regina, think, why are you here, just to hate on us?
marge

Ames, IA

#435503 Apr 25, 2013
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>The word made flesh we still have the word and we still have Christ. However peter is dead and in the grave til the resurrection the only thing he and the other apostle passed on was the new testament on parchment and scrolls for the generations to come.
Amen 7th, JESUS lives, and the canon of His Word has been settled period.
marge

Ames, IA

#435504 Apr 25, 2013
Only the catholics have 72 books, among other false things.
marge

Ames, IA

#435505 Apr 25, 2013
does anyone else have this add crawl in from the vertical left side of your screen each time you turn the page?

How invasive and annoying!
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#435506 Apr 25, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Catholic do teach tradition trumps the bible. The Bible teaches to pray to God the Father in the name of Christ....Catholics pray to Mary and dead "saints"...I know...been there done that..
2. Catholics do worship idols...I know..been there..done that..CNN showed a video of that happening....in color and stereo!!!!
3. Catholics do worship Mary...the rosary is a prayer to her...they knell at her image (an idol)...speaking from experience..
4. The Eucharist is truly not the true body and blood of Christ..to believe that it is...you must accept the Bible teaching cannibalism!!!
5. Catholics really don't preach, follow or proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior...in forty years I never heard one do so!!!
6. Catholics aren't Christian..because they do not follow all teachings of Jesus...they follow traditions...the magnasterium (misspelled I am sure)...teachings from dead "saints"...etc etc
7. Catholics do believe in "works only"...I have heard Catholics defend this erroneous teaching..
8. The Pope does interpret the bible for Catholics...and you dare not question him!!!!
9. Catholics are told not to read or interpret the bible...I know because I was told not to read the Bible..
10.Catholics don't have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ----to do so requires to be born again "from above"...per Scripture..quote: Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.{again: or, from above} I have yet to hear a Catholic claim that he is a born again Christian...
Where is the rest of your regurgitated swill you get from the vatacan???
And you Oxbow, along with your 10 perverted and bogus answers are a "perfect example of why "bible only" (so-called Christians) continue to distort,deceive and lie about what the Catholic Church actually teaches and believes. The ONLY THING that you "fundies" have going for you is to rely upon spreading lies, heresy, hostility and vindictive hate against over 2000 years, of the historically and biblically PROVEN TRUE Gospel of Jesus Christ and His One (and only one) True Apostolic Catholic Church.

Ox said:
It is evident that I am in contact with an expert on the subject.

For once you are right Ox!...I am an "expert" when it come to "seeing through" your Protestant propaganda of anti-catholic lies and your bible only (half-truth -half heresy) Christianity!!! The TRUTH, has, is and will CONTINUE to be (as it has for over 2000 years) in Jesus Christ and HIS One (and only one) True Apostolic Catholic Church.......... Heretics, judgmental hypocrites and condemning bigots, have "come and gone" for over 2000 years---YET----THE CHURCH LIVES ON!!--and will CONTINUE to live on despite people like you!!!!!!

Location hidden

#435507 Apr 25, 2013
506 292
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
And you Oxbow, along with your 10 perverted and bogus answers are a "perfect example of why "bible only" (so-called Christians) continue to distort,deceive and lie about what the Catholic Church actually teaches and believes. The ONLY THING that you "fundies" have going for you is to rely upon spreading lies, heresy, hostility and vindictive hate against over 2000 years, of the historically and biblically PROVEN TRUE Gospel of Jesus Christ and His One (and only one) True Apostolic Catholic Church.
Ox said:
It is evident that I am in contact with an expert on the subject.
For once you are right Ox!...I am an "expert" when it come to "seeing through" your Protestant propaganda of anti-catholic lies and your bible only (half-truth -half heresy) Christianity!!! The TRUTH, has, is and will CONTINUE to be (as it has for over 2000 years) in Jesus Christ and HIS One (and only one) True Apostolic Catholic Church.......... Heretics, judgmental hypocrites and condemning bigots, have "come and gone" for over 2000 years---YET----THE CHURCH LIVES ON!!--and will CONTINUE to live on despite people like you!!!!!!
The vomit you are regurgitating which you swilled from the slop the vatacan fed you, proves my words are undeniably true....you cannot refute the truth......

Thank you....

hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#435508 Apr 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Your theology claims that only those who believe in Jesus can hope to be "saved."
Muslims, according to your own dogma are only fodder for the Christian devil's hell ... with the approval and stamp of his father-god.
Isn't religion fun though for ... for those who see evil in others, and holiness in their selves??? Sarcasm intended.
Where do you come up with this "garbage (editorialized) theology" June!! NO ONE, the Pope, nor the Catholic Church, not you, not me is the judge of ANYONE else's salvation......... Your (own personal) hostility, vengeance and vindictiveness toward Jesus Christ and the His One True Apostolic Catholic Church, is "your problem"!..... For someone, your age, who has "gone through" many "supposed" (learned) years of life----you obviously have learned "little or nothing!"--except (ONLY) to attack, condemn and rip on God, the Catholic Church and the religious, spiritual and personal faith of other Christians........ You, June, have become an "isolated island unto yourself" "going around in your (atheist or agnostic) circles" (whichever you are) like a merry-go-round going "nowhere ---fast"
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#435509 Apr 25, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
506 292
<quoted text>
The vomit you are regurgitating which you swilled from the slop the vatacan fed you, proves my words are undeniably true....you cannot refute the truth......
Thank you....
Your "so-called editorialized truth" is just another one of the 42,000 Protestant contradicting, inconsistent and conflicting bible only "hodge-podge" of "Relative Truth's" (what each person decides for themselves) is true!......... It is called "mass confusion"!....... The difference is that, I/we, as Catholics have the TRUTH of the (Mass)!!---and you bible only "heretical Protestants" have the (confusion)

Location hidden

#435510 Apr 25, 2013
509 506 292
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Your "so-called editorialized truth" is just another one of the 42,000 Protestant contradicting, inconsistent and conflicting bible only "hodge-podge" of "Relative Truth's" (what each person decides for themselves) is true!......... It is called "mass confusion"!....... The difference is that, I/we, as Catholics have the TRUTH of the (Mass)!!---and you bible only "heretical Protestants" have the (confusion)
You are too kind!!!!

Thank you....

Location hidden

#435511 Apr 25, 2013

1. Catholics do teach tradition trumps the bible. The Bible teaches to pray to God the Father in the name of Christ....Catholics pray to Mary and dead "saints"...I know...been there done that..

According to hojo and clay what I am saying is a lie.

Scripture:
Mt 6:9 ¶ After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.(we are to pray to our Father in Heaven)

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.(we are to pray to our Father in Heaven in the name of Jesus Christ....)

Who can show me a lie in the Word of God????
Religion - A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#435512 Apr 26, 2013
socci wrote:
Just as the catholic 'virgin mary' is NOT the mother of Jesus Mary who was a virgin the so-called keys of Peter also predate Christianity to previous religions of Rome. The keys are also found in Islam and other religions. Rome only seized upon a biblical text otherwise known as gnosticism. The Roman Church was founded by the first gnostic, Simon Magus.
Debating delusions.

Let us pray:

"Dear Jesus, please cure cancer for all of mankind today at 5 p.m.
EDT. Amen"

Why not?

Because deep down inside, we all know it's imaginary.
Religion - A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#435513 Apr 26, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
You're welcome!
Do not ever, never, never, ever, never, and never again believe one word that comes from their mouths.
Not one.
Ever.(Especially that 'socci' thing that posts here.)
They have lying down to an art form. It's the only way they can justify their rejection of Christ's church, so they adhere to no boundaries of decency.
It's good to have Catholics telling the world about "the boundaries of decency."
truth

Perth, Australia

#435514 Apr 26, 2013
in heaven..explain..peter cross upsidedown..
heaven=nevaeh
now
i give you freedom .. you don't knowing past time..
rest from half saturday and sunday..don't work that day..remember
remember he not forget tears

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 3 hr Patriot 84,073
News Ion Mihai Pacepa 46 minutes ago History often r... 10 hr Tom Jones 1
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... Thu Sherlayne 6
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Apr 21 Scales Off 9,181
News A most reluctant crusader Apr 20 Polaris 11
News Armenian Genocide: Turkey To Convert Hagia Sofi... Apr 20 SpaceBlues 6
News Turkey disappointed with Pope's Armenian 'genoc... Apr 18 Erkek Turk 19
More from around the web