Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the Jul 10, 2007, CBC News story titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Ella

Rockford, MI

#435229 Apr 24, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
From the Catechism;
II. THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN TRADITION AND SACRED SCRIPTURE
One common source...
80 "Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture, then, are bound closely together, and communicate one with the other. For both of them, flowing out from the same divine well-spring, come together in some fashion to form one thing, and move towards the same goal."40 Each of them makes present and fruitful in the Church the mystery of Christ, who promised to remain with his own "always, to the close of the age".41
... two distinct modes of transmission
81 "Sacred Scripture is the speech of God as it is put down in writing under the breath of the Holy Spirit."42
"And [Holy] Tradition transmits in its entirety the Word of God which has been entrusted to the apostles by Christ the Lord and the Holy Spirit. It transmits it to the successors of the apostles so that, enlightened by the Spirit of truth, they may faithfully preserve, expound and spread it abroad by their preaching."43
82 As a result the Church, to whom the transmission and interpretation of Revelation is entrusted, "does not derive her certainty about all revealed truths from the holy Scriptures alone. Both Scripture and Tradition must be accepted and honored with equal sentiments of devotion and reverence."44
120 It was by the apostolic Tradition that the Church discerned which writings are to be included in the list of the sacred books.90 This complete list is called the canon of Scripture. It includes 46 books for the Old Testament (45 if we count Jeremiah and Lamentations as one) and 27 for the New.91
I cannot believe you could post that nonsense. Read Revelation 22:18-19. And I will also remind you, that its the traditions of man that make the Word of God of no effect.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#435230 Apr 24, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You were given the teaching but rejected it because you wanted to get married a second and third time. God gave us free will, you used yours. Good luck.
Why do Catholics allow tradition to trump the Bible???

Quote: And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

In this case...it would kill the cash cow called Annulment.....
Religion - A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#435231 Apr 24, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no authority to declare who has the Spirit and who does not.
Agreed. No one has such authority. It's all just faith and opinion.
Ella

Rockford, MI

#435232 Apr 24, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no authority to declare who has the Spirit and who does not.
Marge never said she had authority, but it is obvious from your posts that the Holy Spirit does not live in you. You appear to lack knowledge and understanding of sacred scripture.
Ella

Rockford, MI

#435233 Apr 24, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do Catholics allow tradition to trump the Bible???
Quote: And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
In this case...it would kill the cash cow called Annulment.....
BINGO!!! Always follow the money trail...

Since: Sep 09

New Hazelton, Canada

#435234 Apr 24, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
Pigs also thrive on swill and slop and chop...They have few preferences and eat most anything.
The root around in their own waste, unless rings are put in their noses...
some of the are just wild boars ....
But pigs don't suggest that torture and murder is ordained by a god, so their slop is pure in comparison to that of those in religion.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435235 Apr 24, 2013
Just sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it is funny how the ego protects itself from outside influence.
It's not funny that the theologians protected their selves from seeing that they were teaching lies in the quise of truth.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435236 Apr 24, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
According to the Bible
Pigs/swine are also susceptible to demon possession...
Both Catholics and Protestants give members of their congregations exorcisms. These people are members of the congregations ... NOT outsiders.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435237 Apr 24, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
nope, i see that the DON'T FEED THE ANIMALS sign is up at the zoo today;)
believing that Goodness is Personified in Christ is the first & only Godly choice a human can make and you're failing miserably.
why would anyone trust someone who doesn't like Goodness/God???
I wouldn't trust me to know truth, and so it follows that I sure wouldn't trust you to know truth either.

I sugggest you study the meaning of the word "god" in another context.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

From the book “Devious Derivations”… Popular Misconceptions and More than 1000 true origins of Common Word and Phrases … by Hugh Rawson.

god.

It should be of passing interest to women readers especially to know that god originally was of neuter gender, as in the Middle High German abgott, idol. The word became masculine following the conversion of the German tribes to Christianity.

>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

New Hazelton, Canada

#435238 Apr 24, 2013
So if exorcisms are necessary for members of Christian congregations ... who would trust that churches are safe havens?

I've never heard of an Atheist being exorcised for demons.

I have however heard of Atheists having mental problems, as do all people in or out of religion.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435239 Apr 24, 2013
Isn't it true that the pope considers he is semi-divine???

He doesn't believe he's going to hell, so that is about as divine as he can be without his feet lifting off the ground and his "heavenly" body taking flight.

:)
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

God … Native Americans … sun god.

Cultural Anthropology by Selby Garretson

Religion

It is not uncommon to find the leader of a society is also considered semidivine. Both the Egyptians and the Natchez (an American Indian people who lived in Louisiana) believed their rulers to direct descendents of the sun god.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435240 Apr 24, 2013
It's not fair that the good-god gets all the fresh air and sunshine, and the devil gets to eat dirt.

Some things just aren't fair at all.

:)

New Hazelton, Canada

#435241 Apr 24, 2013
The one-god dogmas was tried in ancient times, but as you can see ... it didn't succeed.

It took the ex-Jews that left polytheism behind to start that one-god dogma of Elohim being the god, and his son Jehovah being the savior of the Jews.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

From the book compiled by Larousse … World Mythology

The doctrine of Aten

Rejecting polytheism with its densely interwoven mythology, Amenophis IV recognized only one god.

But this sublime doctrine, founded on the principle of monotheism and proclaiming love of one’s fellow men, did not have time to take root during the relatively short reign of the pharaoh who initiated it. Sincere belief was probably restricted to a relatively small circle of followers, while the mass of the population remained secretly attached to the religion of their ancestors. When Akhenaten died, his opponents reappeared and forced the reformer’s weak successors to reinstate Amun and the other banished gods.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435242 Apr 24, 2013
Ex-Jew Catholics couldn't banish the one and only god of the Jews, as there wouldn't have been a god left for them to worship.

That was the trouble with that tricky one-god dogma.

It made the lies bare-able.

United States

#435243 Apr 24, 2013
who="Regina"
Tsk, tsk, tsk....you're a liar, KM.
One only has to read the posts on this forum to know who is lying.
After all, this is where I read that info.
KM
-
-
Anthony MN wrote:
Liar. No Catholic on this thread has ever said the the pope trumps the Word of God.
They don't have to say it, the pope has done it for them - time and time and time again - and you all just follow the pope ...

...starting with, "Call No Man Father." and it's gone downhill from there.

God said, "You shall not murder" (one of the Ten Commandments). Jesus said, Love your neighbor (One of the TWO Commandments - which redefine The Ten). Pope after pope orders torture and murder of heretics and you dutifully follow the pope rather than God. Constantine said, "In this sign conquer." And in a monkey see, monkey do kind of world - Islam was born. We are now dealing with Islam because the Constantinians (early Catholics) were so "good" at following Constantine (or the pope) and making war - and FAILED MISERABLY at following GOD'S WORD.

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." ... and your pope covers up for those who have RAPED the little children REPEATEDLY and gives them sanctuary in the Vatican.

WHATEVER the pope says, Catholics do - completely ignoring the Bible whenever the pope contradicts it.

I think Catholics like the convenience that the pope gives them to really just go against the The Word of God.

Catholicism is a religion of convenience. The Confessional is the proof - their "Get Out of Jail Free" card! No wonder the Mafia is Catholic.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435244 Apr 24, 2013
From my point of view, this mortal man was an archaic fool.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

Guide for Living … Pope Pius XII … Selected Addresses and Letters of His Holiness

The Mystery of Suffering

Broadcast for the diocese of Rome’s Mary Year ‘Day of the Sick’, February 14th, 1954

It may be that you have done evil. Think back. Perhaps you have offended God many times, in many ways. You know that a serious sin merits for soul eternal damnation, yet you are still alive, under the merciful gaze of God, in the loving arms of Mary. If, then the Lord is now punishing some sin of yours, you should not on that account curse and debase yourself. You are not a slave punished by a cruel master, but a child of God, your Father, who wishes not to take revenge but to correct you. He wants you to say to Him:“I have sinned”, so that He can pardon you and restore you to the life of the soul.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435245 Apr 24, 2013
The trick of those theologians was and is, to make people feel bad about being human.

They teach that the best part of humans is in spirit and that it's essential to go on a hunt for our better selves.

I believe it's utter nonsense, and that children should be taught that their whole beings are here, intact, and that it's up to them to control their emotions by also treating other as whole beings equal in worth.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435246 Apr 24, 2013
I'd like to take a pin ... just a tiny pin, and each time someone mentions prayer, I would like to give him/her a little stab with the pin as a reminder he/she is praying to an image of a god that allows horrendous suffering of all forms of life.

Not one worshipper of any god has ever been able to explain how a god with any sense of decency would create a plan where non-human animals must suffer each second of every day and night, and die horrible deaths by fang, claw and venom.

You can't explain it, as it is not explain-able.

The god would have to be worse than any devil created in the imaginations of mortal humans.

After all, in the theology, the devil was created by a knowing god who foresaw that the devil would be evil.

Silly, silly senseless dogmas.

Nature is cruel, but there is no plan TO be cruel. It "simply" is what it is.
Clay

United States

#435247 Apr 24, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
You do everyday, we tell you what the Word of God says and you try to trump it with the word of the pope.
You must really think we're stupid. You seem like such a sweet lady, I don't believe you're that blind to notice that your pastor is reigning more authority upon himself than any Pope in the history of the Catholic Church.

You guys are using centuries old arguments against Catholicism that have long been debunked - even by anti Catholic Protestant historians.
A hundred yrs ago, Confrinting (for example) was successful, because people couldn't double check the junk he was spewing. THAT'S why Protestantism expanded. Now, with one click of the mouse, normal people can figure out you're lying.
The end of ideologue conspiracy Christians is fast approaching. The serious Christians will soon be coming over to the Catholic Church. The Orthodox are already in talks and even they are starting to see they once acknowledged the Bishop of Rome had the final say on matters of doctrine.

Sorry Old G and Confrint, your grandkids will probably be in the Catholic Church someday... if they're serious about Christianity.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#435248 Apr 24, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
So in your opinion Jesus was just foolin' around when He gave them to St. Peter...
One more reason why you have no authority.
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, ALL power is given unto ME in heaven and in earth.
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Would you suggest that Jesus came to empower THE CHURCH, but put all its strength in the hands of ONE mortal man?
Jesus gave the commission to ALL the Apostles.
Joh 17:18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent THEM into the world.
Joh 17:19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
Joh 17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for THEM also which shall believe on me through THEIR word;
Joh 17:21 That THEY ALL may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, THAT THEY ALSO MAY BE ONE IN US; (SO) THAT THE WORLD MAY BELIEVE THAT THOU HAST SENT ME.
Joh 17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given THEM; that THEY may be one, even AS WE ARE ONE:
Joh 17:23 I in them (not in the pope), and thou in me, that THEY may be made perfect IN ONE; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved THEM, as thou hast loved ME.
Notice the plurals. Not 'his', but 'theirs'. When the other Apostles preached and worked miracles, Peter was not there to hold their hands. Paul met JESUS (not the Pope...or even Peter) on the road to Damascus.
The Holy Ghost was given to empower ALL that believe...not Peter alone. Even the women in the upper room were baptized in the Holy Ghost.
I've never been close to the Pope...but I HAVE HEARD FROM JESUS, AND HE HAS TAUGHT ME WHAT I NEED TO KNOW. If I had to wait on the Pope, I would just have to be left out.
KayMarie
In these passages Jesus is referring to His disciples, not to people who are loosely connected by their faith in the bible alone.

Jesus founded a Church, the disciples established this Church in Rome and other cities. If you reject His body, the Church, you reject Him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 5 hr Cultastic 9,185
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Sat Jaimie 84,074
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... Sat Sherlayne 8
News Pope Francis visit to Cuba confirmed Sat W A Y L O N 2
News Extremists sought in possible plot against the ... Fri tomin cali 1
News John Paul II College of Davao (Dec '07) Fri JJF 664
News Ion Mihai Pacepa 46 minutes ago History often r... Fri Tom Jones 1
More from around the web