Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 574,216
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Sep 09

New Hazelton, Canada

#435145 Apr 24, 2013
Pad wrote:
<June if Christians stopped involving themselves in world crisis,many human beings regardless of their beliefs would die,and many would be destitute.But Christians have proved time and time again to be there when the trouble is at its worst,to give aid and support.
You have too much pride in that word "Christian."

People with kind hearts don't need religion to be charitable. And as history proved from all the torture and killing ... many in religion were bankrupt concerning charity of mind and heart.

New Hazelton, Canada

#435146 Apr 24, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Your statements June may give support to other anti-religionists
Do you believe that Christians that are anti-Islam are anti-religionists?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#435147 Apr 24, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
Where did 'da pope' say traditions trump the Word of God?

He must have said it; all of his followers say it.

KM

New Hazelton, Canada

#435148 Apr 24, 2013
Many Protestants are anti-Catholic, and many Catholics are anti-Protestant ... but they don't perceive that each other's groups are anti-religionists.

Yet they refer to Atheists as THE anti-religionists.

That is a "classic" scapegoat for many in religions?

:)

#435149 Apr 24, 2013
who="Pad" No doubt that any extreme is wreckless to your health.Celery is good for you,but to eat that alone and never anything else would screw up your digestive system eventually.
Religion is a directive path to believing in the UNKNOWN,but we humans can abuse our path by becoming legalistic and fanatical about our search for truth.

The only people I've ever heard of who went crazy over Christianity, are those who have turned their backs on Him.

KM
Pad

Rockford, IL

#435150 Apr 24, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
June is correct.
And her statement does not suggest the Catholic hierarchy and God are equal.
Sometimes its difficult to understand how the Bible came to fruition. Many Evangelicals just plug their ears and repeat,'God did it. God did it'
Well in a sense, God did. But come on man, I don't think He wants you to ignore the Church He used to bring forth the scriptures. It still took a meeting of Bishops and a Pope to decide on the canon. And Btw, Jesus never instructed them to compile a Bible. Its something the Church decided to do in the 4th century.
"Jesus n e v e r instructed them to compile a Bible.Its something the Church decided to do in the 4th century."

All the authors of the B i b l e are Jewish except supposedly Luke. I say supposedly because Paul brought Luke into the Temple.Well aside from that,so one gentile gets into the authorship of HIS HOLY Word.

Clay,God inspires men to do things,He may not get a man and say I want a Bible compiled so that everyone will read it.But men and women of faith always knew that when you write something down that is truth,it can be used to confirm,and to educate those who later down the road need to hear the truth.

Often the reading of truth deepens ones faith to it,the Bible is a unique book to say the least,and it is inspired by God to challenge the hearts of many human beings to walk by faith and not by sight.

It is quite obvious that what men might say twenty years ago,might not sound quite the same today,and it is quite certain that every important word and speech made by leaders of the ages,were WRITTEN down so that people a hundred years later could view them for themselves,and enrichment.

History is so documented by a zillion books,yet we believers should not have the very words of JESUS written down and documented so that we can ponder them in our hearts,in the privacy of our homes? You and I can sit in the quietness of a room in our house,and read the very powerful words of all those who lived before us.The Bible was inspired by God as all books of history,and the sciences,the professions,were written to be passed to generation to generation.

I do not care one iota that God or Jesus never said compile a Bible so that it can be used to set staraight MY doctrines.But I know with every fiber of faith,that our Heavenly Father inspired men and women to compile that Holy Book,so that we in this century can read what HIS desire for humankind is.

The written W o r d is such a profound thing for all the human race,and God inspired the writing of human documentation all through history,to set the RECORD straight for all things not just religion.

Your argument does not cause me as a believer to rely on the tradition of your church over the written WORD that is in our hands,a document of strength,power,and the MIND of Christ.

Just because members of the Catholic Church were inspired to compile what was already written does not mean they wrote the Book and authored it.It is far better to look at the Scriptures as being inspired by God,and to leave what He has done in His hands,and stop giving the credit to your organization.When are you going to look at what God does sovereignly? Stop looking at the deeds of Men. "Man proposes,God disposes".We have to look to what God is doing,the actions of men are secondary to what the overall Will and Purpose of God is.The Bible was compiled for God's glory,not the glory of the Roman Catholic Church.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#435151 Apr 24, 2013
To truly present a Tradition argument, ie that something is a "Tradition equal to Gospel as long as it does not contradict Gospel "you must prove that it was something that was believed at the time of the First Christians. Otherwise it was added and not Tradition.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#435152 Apr 24, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
KM
Liar. Gossiper. Bearer of false witness.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#435153 Apr 24, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>"Jesus n e v e r instructed them to compile a Bible.Its something the Church decided to do in the 4th century."
All the authors of the B i b l e are Jewish except supposedly Luke. I say supposedly because Paul brought Luke into the Temple.Well aside from that,so one gentile gets into the authorship of HIS HOLY Word.
Clay,God inspires men to do things,He may not get a man and say I want a Bible compiled so that everyone will read it.But men and women of faith always knew that when you write something down that is truth,it can be used to confirm,and to educate those who later down the road need to hear the truth.
Often the reading of truth deepens ones faith to it,the Bible is a unique book to say the least,and it is inspired by God to challenge the hearts of many human beings to walk by faith and not by sight.
It is quite obvious that what men might say twenty years ago,might not sound quite the same today,and it is quite certain that every important word and speech made by leaders of the ages,were WRITTEN down so that people a hundred years later could view them for themselves,and enrichment.
History is so documented by a zillion books,yet we believers should not have the very words of JESUS written down and documented so that we can ponder them in our hearts,in the privacy of our homes? You and I can sit in the quietness of a room in our house,and read the very powerful words of all those who lived before us.The Bible was inspired by God as all books of history,and the sciences,the professions,were written to be passed to generation to generation.
I do not care one iota that God or Jesus never said compile a Bible so that it can be used to set staraight MY doctrines.But I know with every fiber of faith,that our Heavenly Father inspired men and women to compile that Holy Book,so that we in this century can read what HIS desire for humankind is.
The written W o r d is such a profound thing for all the human race,and God inspired the writing of human documentation all through history,to set the RECORD straight for all things not just religion.
Your argument does not cause me as a believer to rely on the tradition of your church over the written WORD that is in our hands,a document of strength,power,and the MIND of Christ.
Just because members of the Catholic Church were inspired to compile what was already written does not mean they wrote the Book and authored it.It is far better to look at the Scriptures as being inspired by God,and to leave what He has done in His hands,and stop giving the credit to your organization.When are you going to look at what God does sovereignly? Stop looking at the deeds of Men. "Man proposes,God disposes".We have to look to what God is doing,the actions of men are secondary to what the overall Will and Purpose of God is.The Bible was compiled for God's glory,not the glory of the Roman Catholic Church.
"so that we in this century can read what HIS desire for humankind is."

The problem is Dan, everyone reads it and comes to their own conclusions as to what His desires are. That is not what Jesus wanted. Yes, Sacred Scripture is God's Word. But God's Word needs an infallible interpreter. Thousands of sects interpreting by their own authority creates doctrinal anarchy and chaos.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#435154 Apr 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion is all deception! Idolizing your own fantasies doesn't make the fantasies real.
No June!.... Agnosticism, atheism and 42,000 contradicting bible only Protestant religions are ALL about deception!!.... Your "denial" of over 2000 years of PROVEN, VERIFIABLE and SUBSTANTIATED historical and biblical TRUTH will not change that TRUTH!!!...The overwhelming vast majority of Apologistic historian authors and writers, both Catholic and Protestant confirm that Jesus Christ, initiated, formed and established ONE TRUE UNIVERSAL CHURCH and it was Catholic. THAT TRUTH hasn't changed for over 2000 years!!! You, June are just an extension of the Protestant Reformation and a repeat performance of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15:11, defiant and rebellious , with your "own editorializing obstinate personal opinion" in denial of the historical and biblical TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His One (and only one) True Apostolic Catholic Church. The Prodigal son, was exactly the same way--that is---until----"HE EVENTUALLY, CAME TO HIS SENSES!!!
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#435155 Apr 24, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I know. I guess I'm hoping sincere people looking for truth and reading this thread will realize the liars only have lies and it's better to hear from us instead of them. Nice to see you Regina.
You make a good point. But somehow I don't think there are many sincere people reading this thread. Nevertheless, you're doing the right thing by posting the truth. "Confrinting" her ignorant bigotry with prayers and a blessing as Christ told us to do is difficult for me. You're a much better Christian than I am, Anthony! Nice to see you too!
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#435156 Apr 24, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
KM
Tsk, tsk, tsk....you're a liar, KM.

#435157 Apr 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
For all that work that Satan does for god, do you think that on judgment day god will turn Satan into a saint, or will Satan have to burn for eternity in the same hell that he used for burning others?
The dogmas are based on nonsense, and I suggest you keep in mind that religion has been the cause of much insanity.
It's not healthy for you to keep on using words that reinforces the idea back to you that you are holy and others are evil.
There can and has been much backlash from such over-indulgent addiction.
~~~
It's not healthy for you to keep on using words that reinforces the idea back to you that you are holy and others are evil.

~~~~
Never said that I was Holy...I have never told any one to get like me. Or get like the Church I am a part of...

The ultimate example of holiness and goodness is Christ...the sinless one...
He is the one that I strive to lift up before others...

EVIL IS THE ABSENCE OF GOD...

Jesus said...

Joh 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Joh 12:33 This he said, signifying what death he should die.

________

As The Deer Lyrics

As the deer panteth for the water
So my soul longeth after thee
You alone are my heart's desire
And I long to worship thee

You alone are my strength, my shield
To you alone may my spirit yield

You're my friend and you are my brother
Even though you are a king
I love you more than any other
So much more than anything

I want you more than gold or silver,
only you can satisfy.
You alone are the real joygiver
and the apple of my eye.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#435158 Apr 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
It's been said that there is a fine line between genius and insanity.
I suggest that it's not healthy to tell people they are the stuff of genius, as egos thrive on more and more power, and could soon take the ones that believe they are geniuses over the edge to insanity.
It is safe for us to believe we are ignorant, and the fact is, we are ignorant. We are ignorant of what we don't and can't know ... until it happens.
Ollie says while Einstein, Churchill, Alexander the Great, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs of Apple were called genius by those associated with them....they Never let it go to their heads.

You are fulla schidt to the eyeballs and will Never have any fear of being called a genius.

On the other hand, mu Ollie is well 'upthere' when it comes to debates on a whole lotta Topics....such as you being a hateful, hypocritical, hAtheistic schidt-for-brains.

Go Figure.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#435159 Apr 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe that Christians that are anti-Islam are anti-religionists?
June,no,but your posts clearly have set you apart from religion altogether,and the other atheists who come on here no doubt support your opinion as being theirs as well,that all religion is imagined,and the product of human invention to keep people in line as it were.

The Muslims believe that God inspired Mohammed to build a faith that would inspire many to follow God a certain way.I do not have strong words of discontent for Islam as a religion that is quite numerous on this planet.But I have strong faith in Christ,that He alone can save.Religion cannot save a soul,JUNE,because religion is inspired by men,their SEARCH for God or whatever they perceive as the UNKNOWN,that humans must acquiese to.

It is not for me as a believer to hate the Muslims,but I understand their quest for truth,and they feel just as certain as I do that what they have is truth.I have a Qu'ran and I read it periodically.And I have read hadiths of the Prophet as well.

But I also have studied Buddhism,and admire it greatly as a great philosophy.

There are good enduring tenents of human endeavor in all religions,but that does not save us ultimately from the greatest peril to us all.Sin is what we humans are plagued with,and sin is rooted in our rebellion against God,also our greed for what we cannot have,or want.

You reject those things,but in spite of whatever you say,people still engage in evil acts,commit adultery,abuse children,steal and rob,assault one another,lie to each other,corrupt that which is good for their own purposes,all the elements of sin and destruction in the lives of everyone around us.History is saturated with human compliance to sin and its destructive elements.Religion is the only moral compass to dealing with the moral issues of men,and to remove religion from human life is to give reign to anarchy.

You have your opinion that no doubt is opposite of mine,but that does not alter the fact that life continues to bring about the same scenario of human endeavors that either enhance a better life for a time,or bring about the opposite components of destruction,mayhem,disorder,an d often oppression.

I do believe all human beings can act compassionately at times.Atheists are no exception,but you must remember that all through history atheists have had plenty of role models as well.Either those role models were selfish or the opposite.Believers raised children who either became believers or agnostics or atheists.Still those children had influences which shaped their minds,even though they might have rejected the identity of their parents.

We are all connected June,and that includes the fact that all human beings grapple with their own identity and faith in either themselves and the world they see,or in the UNKNOWN. God and His Being Creator is not something out of our imagination,all life that exists and continues on before our lives,CAUSE us to wonder and ponder the ultimate reality of how we all came about? What is our beginning,why do we suffer,die?Is this all there ?

It is not imagination it is deep stirrings within us all to discover our reason for our existance,our end,and where we might be going?

Location hidden

#435161 Apr 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Many Protestants are anti-Catholic, and many Catholics are anti-Protestant ... but they don't perceive that each other's groups are anti-religionists.
Yet they refer to Atheists as THE anti-religionists.
That is a "classic" scapegoat for many in religions?
:)
Stanley wants to let you know that there is NO such thing as an atheist.

.....Agnostics = YES

.....wannabeeAtheists = YEs

.....atheists = NO

.....hAtheists = Yes

Go Figure....you hAtheist.
marge

Ames, IA

#435162 Apr 24, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is Dan, everyone reads it and comes to their own conclusions as to what His desires are. That is not what Jesus wanted. Yes, Sacred Scripture is God's Word. But God's Word needs an infallible interpreter. Thousands of sects interpreting by their own authority creates doctrinal anarchy and chaos.
You need to trust God alone and His promise to send you His Holy Spirit, which He said will guide you to all truth.

Location hidden

#435163 Apr 24, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Ollie says that 'thousands of sects interpreting'= Yes.

The Holy Roman Catholic Church and its interpretation 'creating doctrinal anarchy and chaos'= NO.

Go Figure.

Location hidden

#435164 Apr 24, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
You make a good point. But somehow I don't think there are many sincere people reading this thread. Nevertheless, you're doing the right thing by posting the truth. "Confrinting" her ignorant bigotry with prayers and a blessing as Christ told us to do is difficult for me. You're a much better Christian than I am, Anthony! Nice to see you too!
Stanley says "speak for yourself".

We are both very serious, even though we made millions over 'acting' silly and stupid.

Our grandchildren are amongst the richest in the US of A.

Go Figure.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#435165 Apr 24, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You edit out of your view-finder the scriptures that don't suit you, and you place high value on the ones that do suit you.
The moment you lay eyes on words from what you were taught is HOLY, the process fills you with POWER in the attitude that a god is speaking ONLY holy messages to you.
That is self-hypnosis, and it is what caused people to pick up swords and guns and kill their neighbors in the certainty that the god ordained the slaughter.
Words in these supposed holy books are dangerous for society as history proved over and over and over again.
Yet people seeking power from words in those books that they are certain came from "the gods" don't learn to leave the trouble-making words alone as their emotional highs are of the greatest importance to their egos.
Sorry to disappoint you June, but your are talking to an ex-Protestant, a former cafeteria style "pick and choose" bible verses which "fit" the bible only (what I want it to mean) agenda!!.... As a convert to the One True Apostolic Catholic Church of Jesus Christ, I continue to read and hear the word of God every day at Daily Mass but, as Paul instructs us in I Timothy 3:15 that the CHURCH (not the bible alone) is the pillar, pinnacle and foundation of the TRUTH. The CHURCH (the Catholic Church) confirms, validates, ratifies, verifies and corroborates the TRUE interpretation of the bible. The problem with you June is that you have been reading "to many" Protestant (anti-catholic) "fiction" books that have corrupted your mind, heart and soul, into a state of hostile spiritual "bondage"........ For someone your age, one would think that, "by this time" you would have attained some degree of wisdom and have "learned SOMETHING"-!! Obviously not!!
My family and I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers at Daily Mass, that God will lead you to the TRUTH of Salvation in His Son Jesus!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Most Americans see combating climate change as ... Tue Ed_Reid 4
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Mon Jaimie 83,958
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Mon Cultastic 8,911
Was Obama right about the Crusades and Islamic ... Mar 1 Lawrence Wolf 2,021
Saudi effort to promote open society abroad in ... Feb 23 jinxi 3
9 Historical Events That Occurred on Christmas Day Feb 21 cupcake 1
Pope says Catholics must practice a responsible... Feb 20 amc 4
More from around the web