Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 559,652
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#431075 Apr 3, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
GOING INTO A CHURCH DOES NOT MAKE AN INDIVIDUAL A CHRISTIAN ANY MORE THAN GOING INTO A GARAGE MAKES THEM AN AUTOMOBILE..
I WILL REPHRASE MY QUESTION ...
DO YOU KNOW JESUS CHRIST TO THE FULL PARDON OF YOU SINS?..
ARE YOU BORN AGAIN?...
I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH NEW AGE CONFUSION..OF FACE..
THE NEW AGE PERSON HERE ON THIS FORM DOES NOT CLAIM TO BE A CHRISTIAN, AND OBVIOUSLY... HE..SHE..OR...IT..WHATEVER THE GENDER..IS NOT.
THE BIBLE SAYS
Eph_5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
I am fully aware of what a Christian is or should be.
I do know my Saviour Jesus. I have nevertheless times when doubts arise when I read some of the responses here.
Am I supposed to have faith in the Bible?
I absolutely do. But some here cast aspersions on some of the texts in it saying I believe men and post websites which are written by authors with doubtful allegence to Christ.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#431076 Apr 3, 2013
who="Tiger Lily"
I didn't punctuate the Bible.
I didn't put the comma in the wrong place.
It is ridiculous to think Jesus was in Heaven on Good Friday when we are told He was in the grave 3 days and 3 nights.
Anyway, have it whatever way you want it but it is inconsistent with truth and common logic.

Tiger Lily wrote:

Oxbow, is there any record in scripture that Jesus went anywhere other than the locality of Jerusalem?
There may be but perhaps I have forgotten.
Why would that consign me to Hell?
NASL believes the Bible was altered to suit the beliefs of those who compiled it. How say you?

The Bible doesn't say that Jesus died on a Friday. It DOES say that He arose on the FIRST DAY (Sunday). Since HE said He would be in the grave three days and three nights, we can safely conclude that that was true.

Peter says:

1Pe 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
1Pe 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
1Pe 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

While Jesus' body was in the grave He preached to the spirits in prison (paradise) who had been disobedient in Noah's time.(Today you will be with Me in paradise.) Jesus gives everyone opportunity to come to Him.
KM

#431077 Apr 3, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
It is ridiculous to think Jesus was in Heaven on Good Friday when we are told He was in the grave 3 days and 3 nights.
Anyway, have it whatever way you want it but it is inconsistent with truth

YOU WROTE
It is ridiculous to think Jesus was in Heaven on Good Friday when we are told He was in the grave 3 days and 3 nights.and common logic.
JESUS COULD HAVE BEEN ANY WHERE HE WANTED TO BE

AT ANY TIME HE WANT TO BE

AFTER THE STONE WAS ROLLED UPON THE ENTRANCE OF THE TOMB...

THE BIBLE SAYS ...

1Pe 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

1Pe 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

CAN YOU TELL US WHEN THE ABOVE TRANSPIRED?

~~~~~~

Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

Eph 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

Eph 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

CAN YOU TELL US WHEN THE ABOVE TRANSPIRED...

~~~~

ATTEMPTING TO ESTABLISH A SCHEDULED FOR WHAT JESUS DID IN THE INTERIM,

WHILE BEING IN THE TOMB CAN BE ANYBODY'S GUESS...AFTER ALL HE IS GOD

IN THE FLESH...AND NOT LIMITED TO TIME NOR SPACE...

#431078 Apr 3, 2013
who="Tiger Lily"
I do know my Saviour Jesus. I have nevertheless times when doubts arise when I read some of the responses here.
I absolutely do. But some here cast aspersions on some of the texts in it saying I believe men and post websites which are written by authors with doubtful allegence to Christ.

Don't be troubled by those who question the Word of God. "We know in part." God knows everything, and His Word has stood the test of the ages. We know "IN PART"; none of us knows it all...so we need to take His Word for everything.

Keep reading it...He will teach you as you trust Him.
KM
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#431079 Apr 3, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen and as it is written after searching the scriptures daily it just reafirms my Faith God and his Holy Word.
Revelation warns us about the Harlot and her Daughters, Mystrey Babylon and Wolves in Sheep Clothing.

Ephesians 6:10-18

King James Version (KJV)

10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#431080 Apr 3, 2013
Because Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God; being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; in which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison, that aforetime were disobedient, when the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water (1 Peter 3:18-20).

This difficult passage begins by affirming that Christ died in order to provide the benefits of salvation to unrighteous people. The apostle states that the Lord was put to death in the flesh (his crucifixion), but that he was made alive in the spirit.

What is the meaning of this latter expression? It could mean that his spirit continued to be vitalized with life—even after the death of his body; or else it may indicate that Jesus was made alive again when his spirit re-entered his body at the time of his resurrection from the dead (cf. Romans 1:4; 1 Timothy 3:16).

The apostle then says,“in which”(i.e., in his spirit), Christ went and preached unto the “spirits in prison” that were disobedient in the days of Noah.

Some people believe this passage teaches that during the three days his body was in the tomb, Jesus went into the spirit-world of the imprisoned lost. At that time, according to this theory, the Lord preached the gospel to those who died lost during the time of Noah’s flood.

The passage simply cannot mean this—and for the following reasons:

The Bible clearly teaches that following death, there comes judgment (Hebrews 9:27). After one leaves this earth, there is no plan of salvation for him. The spiritual condition in which a person dies (prepared or unprepared) is that which he will possess at the time of the general resurrection (cf. Matthew 25:1-12). There is absolutely no evidence that there is a second chance for redemption following death.

According to Christ’s instruction in the narrative regarding the rich man and Lazarus, within the spirit-world (called Hades in the American Standard Version) there is a great gulf “fixed” between the place where evil people abide and the state where good people exist (see Luke 16:26).

The verb “fixed,” in the Greek Testament, is a perfect tense form, suggesting that the gulf is forever fixed. There can never be any crossing. A. T. Robertson called it a “permanent chasm”(1931, 223). A. B. Bruce said the “location is fixed and final”(1956, 589). It thus would hardly have accomplished anything for the Lord to have preached to those in a state of punishment, tantalizing them with the hope of salvation, when they had no chance of entering Paradise.

What, then, does 1 Peter 3:18 teach?

The passage affirms that Jesus Christ,“in the [his] spirit”(not in the flesh), during the days of Noah, proclaimed God’s truth to the evil, pre-flood generation. How did the Lord do that? He was operating through Noah, a preacher of righteousness (2 Peter 2:5).

Observe that in this same letter Peter stated that the “Spirit of Christ” was in the Old Testament prophets as they declared Heaven’s message (1:11). This is a key verse in explaining 1 Peter 3:18. When Christ, through Noah, preached to those evil people, they were alive and on the earth. But at the time Peter wrote his letter, they had long been dead, and their spirits were suffering in the prison of hell (known as Tartarus – see 2 Peter 2:4, ASV fn).

In order to help clarify the meaning of this difficult verse, we might suggest the following paraphrase:

Christ was made alive in the spirit; in which, during the days of Noah, he preached to evil people, whose spirits are now in the prison of Tartarus (punishment).
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#431081 Apr 3, 2013
Continued...
This type of language reflects a common figure of speech found in the Bible. It is known as prolepsis. It involves bringing two time-frames together into one expression. Here is a more current example. If one were to say,“President Abraham Lincoln was born in Kentucky,” he would be combining two time eras into one sentence. When he was born, Lincoln was not president, but he later became such. However, by this common mode of expression, one associates a current fact with an antecedent event.

So it is with reference to 1 Peter 3:18. The preaching was done by Christ through Noah in ancient times; the spirits are currently in a place of confinement.

This is a very reasonable interpretation of this verse, and it conforms to what we know of the state of the dead as elsewhere described in the Bible. No meaning can be imposed upon a difficult text which makes it conflict with other clear passages.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#431082 Apr 3, 2013
<quoted text>
THE BIBLE SAYS ...
~~~~~~
Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
Eph 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
Eph 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
~~~~
but quickened by the Spirit:

It is simply saying by the same spirit he was ressurected by is the same spirit in which in the days of Noah He/Christ also preached to those in bondage/prison and was lost.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#431083 Apr 3, 2013
<quoted text>
THE BIBLE SAYS ...
~~~~~~
~~~~
The answer to the second part of your question can be found in the following:

John 16:7.

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

John 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever--
----------
John 14:26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
----------
John 16:8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment:

#431084 Apr 3, 2013
who="Tiger Lily"
I detect a degree of narcisism here NASL. I backed up (as you asked me to) all I posted with scripture or common sense.
I never passed any buck.
Honestly, I gave you scripture which you can easily test yourself.
What unfounded claims have I made?
I will answer them again if you wish me to.

T.L. Don't be frustrated by this person. He/she will not discuss a subject, but scold you, and repeatedly ask why YOU don't believe in Jesus. Very mind-bending.
KM

#431085 Apr 3, 2013
who="7th Day Catholics Rock"
It is simply saying by the same spirit he was ressurected by is the same spirit in which in the days of Noah He/Christ also preached to those in bondage/prison and was lost.

Eph 4:9 Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

Plainly Peter was right when he said that Jesus DESCENDED INTO THE LOWER PARTS OF THE EARTH. NOAH preached to the men of his day; JESUS preached to their spirits in the 'lower parts of the earth'.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#431086 Apr 3, 2013
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>
P.S.

John 11:25

King James Version (KJV)

25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#431087 Apr 3, 2013
who="Tiger Lily"
I detect a degree of narcisism here NASL. I backed up (as you asked me to) all I posted with scripture or common sense.
I never passed any buck.
Honestly, I gave you scripture which you can easily test yourself.
What unfounded claims have I made?
I will answer them again if you wish me to.
T.L. Don't be frustrated by this person. He/she will not discuss a subject, but scold you, and repeatedly ask why YOU don't believe in Jesus. Very mind-bending.
KM
Thank you confrint. I discovered that. You are a comfort to me. I thought I was out on a limb of my own as I believe the Bible to be the inspired word of God but knowing and studying several versions, I know errors have crept in. Some texts have been added and some removed. But when 20 or 30 texts all agree, I can be sure I am on the right track.

#431088 Apr 3, 2013
who="Tiger Lily"
You sure like to make a lot of claims. But can you support them? Let's see what claims you think are accurate. Please provide links and evidence that what you say is correct and truthful:
a. He proved to Thomas that He was not.
b. by rising from the ground to ascend to Heaven just as the resurrected believers will be.
c. God alone is immortal.
d. Jesus was not or He could not have died on the cross. He is NOW immortal just as we will be when we put on immortality at the Second Coming.
Answers...
a. John 20:27 Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself!(Jesus) Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have."
b. The Ascension of Jesus is professed in the Nicene Creed and in the Apostles' Creed. The Ascension implies Jesus' humanity being taken into Heaven. The Feast of the Ascension, celebrated on the 40th day of Easter (always a Thursday), is one of the chief feasts of the Christian year. The feast dates back at least to the later 4th century, as is widely attested. The Ascension is one of the five major milestones in the gospel narrative of the life of Jesus, the others being Baptism, Transfiguration, Crucifixion, and Resurrection
c. Timothy 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.
d. Self evident. Jesus DIED on the cross. If He was immortal, He could not have died. If Christ ad not died for us you are still in your sins. His sacrifice would have meant nothing.

Jesus was GOD IN THE FLESH. Jesus/God is immortal. Jesus' body was human/mortal, as ours is. It could die, just as ours can. God breathed into Adam, and he became a LIVING soul. Our spirit is immortal. God's plan for us is immortality. Jesus came as a man to show us that God CAN/WILL raise us up to eternal life...if we will allow Him to live in us.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#431089 Apr 3, 2013
who="7th Day Catholics Rock"
Eph 4:9 Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
Plainly Peter was right when he said that Jesus DESCENDED INTO THE LOWER PARTS OF THE EARTH. NOAH preached to the men of his day; JESUS preached to their spirits in the 'lower parts of the earth'.
Of course he descended into the lower parts of the earht he was in the grave for three days the sleep of death. He then ascended to heaven 40 days later.

yes by that same spirit he preached through Noah he was not in peaching to anyone during those three days period.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#431090 Apr 3, 2013
who="Tiger Lily"
You sure like to make a lot of claims. But can you support them? Let's see what claims you think are accurate. Please provide links and evidence that what you say is correct and truthful:
a. He proved to Thomas that He was not.
b. by rising from the ground to ascend to Heaven just as the resurrected believers will be.
c. God alone is immortal.
d. Jesus was not or He could not have died on the cross. He is NOW immortal just as we will be when we put on immortality at the Second Coming.
Answers...
a. John 20:27 Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself!(Jesus) Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have."
b. The Ascension of Jesus is professed in the Nicene Creed and in the Apostles' Creed. The Ascension implies Jesus' humanity being taken into Heaven. The Feast of the Ascension, celebrated on the 40th day of Easter (always a Thursday), is one of the chief feasts of the Christian year. The feast dates back at least to the later 4th century, as is widely attested. The Ascension is one of the five major milestones in the gospel narrative of the life of Jesus, the others being Baptism, Transfiguration, Crucifixion, and Resurrection
c. Timothy 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.
d. Self evident. Jesus DIED on the cross. If He was immortal, He could not have died. If Christ ad not died for us you are still in your sins. His sacrifice would have meant nothing.
Jesus was GOD IN THE FLESH. Jesus/God is immortal. Jesus' body was human/mortal, as ours is. It could die, just as ours can. God breathed into Adam, and he became a LIVING soul. Our spirit is immortal. God's plan for us is immortality. Jesus came as a man to show us that God CAN/WILL raise us up to eternal life...if we will allow Him to live in us.
Mortal corruptable man is just that until we put on incorruption at the resurrection and not until then.

Only God is immortal and it is by him only that we substain life.

In fact I think somewhere in scripture we will be heating 12 diffrent kinds of fruit yearly in connection with the subject being discussed.

#431091 Apr 3, 2013
who="Religion - A Delusion" We all agree -- everyone else's delusion is wrong.
This board is perfect witness.
There can be no agreement on a mental delusion.
That's the purpose of denominations - institutions to give credence to the delusion. Sooner or later, denominations split, often in a messy way. The Catholic Schisms for example.
The Bible is loaded with nonsense, much of which most sane people ignore ... but that doesn't stop the delusion.

Florida...your delusion is the grandest of them all! Only a deluded one (or simply someone who has never read it) would say that the Bible is loaded with nonsense.

And SANE people ignore the Bible? LOL And YOU are sane???

We denominational folk may disagree on a few things, but at least we know the TRUTH/JESUS.

BTW, you could learn a LOT from the Bible.

KayMarie
Preston

Waverly, OH

#431092 Apr 3, 2013
who="Tiger Lily"
Anyway, have it whatever way you want it but it is inconsistent with truth and common logic.
Tiger Lily wrote:
Oxbow, is there any record in scripture that Jesus went anywhere other than the locality of Jerusalem?
There may be but perhaps I have forgotten.
Why would that consign me to Hell?
NASL believes the Bible was altered to suit the beliefs of those who compiled it. How say you?
The Bible doesn't say that Jesus died on a Friday. It DOES say that He arose on the FIRST DAY (Sunday). Since HE said He would be in the grave three days and three nights, we can safely conclude that that was true.
Peter says:
While Jesus' body was in the grave He preached to the spirits in prison (paradise) who had been disobedient in Noah's time.(Today you will be with Me in paradise.) Jesus gives everyone opportunity to come to Him.
KM
{The Bible doesn't say that Jesus died on a Friday.}sorry, but the Bible makes it very clear that He did die on the day or hours before the Shabat started, since he did not have his legs broken as the other two had theirs broken, which caused them to drown more quickly, as they then were not able to lift them selves up to enable them to breathe easier(but I think that you already knew that)
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#431093 Apr 3, 2013
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>Mortal corruptable man is just that until we put on incorruption at the resurrection and not until then.
Only God is immortal and it is by him only that we substain life.
In fact I think somewhere in scripture we will be heating 12 diffrent kinds of fruit yearly in connection with the subject being discussed.
Revelation 22:2 down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.

Revelation 22:14 "Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city.

Location hidden

#431094 Apr 3, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was seen by a crowd ascending into Heaven (going upward through the clouds) 40 days after he was crucified.
He was not in Heaven / Paradise on the day he was on the cross.
This proves Jesus said that day, You will be with me in Paradise.
NASL is New Age Spiritual Leader. He/she has little faith in man made writings such as the gospels. Shame.
I agree with all the above.
"NASL is New Age Spiritual Leader. He/she has little faith in man made writings such as the gospels. Shame.

I agree with all the above."

Am not surprised....that explains why you see the Sacred Infallible Holy Word of God as being in error...as infallible..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cuba Deal Is Major Victory for Pope's Diplomati... 2 hr John 4
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 8 hr Mr Sir 8,699
Vatican signals new tone on US nuns 18 hr Raymond F Rice 2
Pope plays key role in Cuba-US policy shift 19 hr Doc Proper 12
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Sat kent 83,899
The Roman Catholic church: Chronicle of a papac... Dec 18 Stephany McDowell 1
Dogs go to heaven, Pope Francis says Dec 17 cooldude 5
More from around the web