Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 542,952
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#430913 Apr 2, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Oxbow"]891
<quoted text>
Adam was Created in the OT. Pneuma is not found in the OT.
Isn't pneuma GREEK? The O.T. is not written in Greek.
KM
Pneuma is a Greek word...and the OT was not translated from Greek...
4GVN

Jackson, MO

#430914 Apr 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is human thought with Divine insights, forever entwined to help the reader understand God. I'm guessing .....
If what YOU claim(with no scriptural support(of curse) is true, then the bible is not God's word at all(as it claims to be) but merely 'human though'. No wonder you are so confused and have no ore regard fo the Holy Scriptures than you do. Do you just make it up as you go? Do you realize that to teach what you are is 'heresy'? Do you really want to do that?
Clay

Jersey City, NJ

#430915 Apr 2, 2013
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text> You seem to be inferring that the bible is not really all that important and that catholics could get along just as well without it.
You are trying to make an issue of the fact that Jesus never instructed the writing of the scriptures. But it is a moot point because it was God the Holy Spirit who orchestrated the writing of His word. And since it is His word, it was of necessity inerrant, infallible and authoritative. YOU GUYS don't seem to want to believe that.
I'm not saying nothing of the sort.
All I'm saying is Christians had nothing written down for the first thirty yrs of the faith. And when the Apostles did began to write, it was not viewed by others as the 'entire revelation by Jesus Christ'
It was the sacred traditions along with the verbal instructions from the Apostles on what Jesus commanded, 4gvn.
The Bishops the Apostles ordained (like Clement and Ignatius) also taught with authority and wrote letters and epistles as well. They were viewed in the same breath as if they came from Paul and Peter. No one spoke up and said "wait a second, you guys ain't Peter, Paul, and John, you have no authority!"
The Apostles were getting captured and killed, and the authority was passed on.
You don't realize how new your view of the Bible is. Once it was printed, people didn't know how to interpret it. All they could muster in their brains was ' word of God, word of God', without regard to how it came to be labeled as such and what that definition really means.
Clay

Jersey City, NJ

#430916 Apr 2, 2013
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>If what YOU claim(with no scriptural support(of curse) is true, then the bible is not God's word at all(as it claims to be) but merely 'human though'. No wonder you are so confused and have no ore regard fo the Holy Scriptures than you do. Do you just make it up as you go? Do you realize that to teach what you are is 'heresy'? Do you really want to do that?
lol, there is no Church I've ever witnessed that shows more respect to the Bible than the Catholic Church. It IS the Word of God, because its the written words of the Apostles.
Interpreting what they wrote vs what they actually taught is a different story. I'm sure you'd agree, many religions were started by individuals assuming their own authoritative interpretations of those writings.
When the Catholic Church installed Chapter/verse to the Books, everyone went Awol. Many Christian sects were formed based entirely on Chapter/verse.(The Born Again movement is a good example)
Did you feel the Holy Spirit when you declared yourself 'born again' and acknowledged Jesus Christ as your savior? Heck yeah you did, and everyone who raises there arms to God will experience the same thing.
That doesn't give you permission to take the Bible and interpret it for yourself as if you're discovering something new; that was missed in the previous 2,000 yrs..

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#430917 Apr 2, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:

Can't you read Oxbow?
I have explained countless times that the word of God says Jesus did not ascend to Heaven for 40 days or so after He was crucified.
The Bible is infallible but you have to properly UNDERSTAND simple logic for it to be of any use to you.
The dead await a resurrection. They SLEEP in the dust of the Earth.
The thief still waits until the Second Coming.

T.L...READ the Book. Lazurus went into 'the bosom of Abraham'(paradise) while he was dead. Jesus told the thief that he would be with Him in paradise...not heaven.
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#430918 Apr 2, 2013
Preston wrote:
<quoted text>on Shabbat, God rested.
on Sunday, the Son of God rested, His Work being FINISHED.
easy enough for a Christian to understand, but not the devils workmen
Typical clueless uninformative answer from you Preston.
Jesus rested in the tomb on Sabbath as was required by the Holy Law.
Jesus said, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill." Matthew 5:17

Why would a law written for all mankind by the finger of God on two tablets of stone be wiped away by the words you say which are not even in scripture? Just like that? I think not.

For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Matt. 5:18

It appears very clearly that YOU are one of the devil's henchmen.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#430919 Apr 2, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
Can't you read Oxbow?
I have explained countless times that the word of God says Jesus did not ascend to Heaven for 40 days or so after He was crucified.
The Bible is infallible but you have to properly UNDERSTAND simple logic for it to be of any use to you.
T.L...READ the Book. Lazurus went into 'the bosom of Abraham'(paradise) while he was dead. Jesus told the thief that he would be with Him in paradise...not heaven.
recking that's the main stream protestant view point of purgatorey you just get there a lot faster like in day huh ?
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#430920 Apr 2, 2013
reckon I'm going to call'er as night see ya'll folks on the morrow............
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#430921 Apr 2, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
Can't you read Oxbow?
So now we have Purgatory, Limbo, Hell, Abraham's bosom and Heaven?

I have read the parable and have heard many sermons on it already and I know Jesus used many parables in His teaching. This is just one of them.

All that aside, was Jesus in Paradise on Friday night?

Where is that evident?
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#430922 Apr 2, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Nephesh and Pneuma are the words used for breath or spirit of life.
We now call it oxygen which is in the air that we breathe.

Can you reconcile these verses with what you believe?

Psalms 115:17 “The dead praise not the Lord, neither any that go down into silence.”

Psalms 146:4 When a man dies,“in that very day his thoughts perish.”

Ecclesiastes 9:5 “The dead know not anything.”

Ecclesiastes 9:10 “There is no work... nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave.”

Jesus Christ taught the Resurrection of the Dead

Matthew 22:23, 29 Jesus rebuked those who said there was “no resurrection.”

Matthew 22:31 Jesus taught “the resurrection of the dead.”

Luke 14:14 The saints will “be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.”

John 5:28-29 “All who are in their graves” will be resurrected at the second coming of Christ.

John 6:39, 40, 44, 54 All believers will rise “on the last day.”

John 11:24 Martha said to Jesus,“I know that he [Lazarus] shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”

It sort of overwhelms the idea that the righteous "dead" are in Paradise alive and well.
Clay

Jersey City, NJ

#430923 Apr 2, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read the parable and have heard many sermons on it already and I know Jesus used many parables in His teaching. This is just one of them.
Where is that evident?
Jesus and God are one. If God was in Heaven on Friday night, then so was Jesus in the reality of the Holy Spirit. The thief was in paradise with the risen Christ just like Our Lord promised, even if the bodily intellect of Jesus descended into hades.
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#430924 Apr 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus and God are one. If God was in Heaven on Friday night, then so was Jesus in the reality of the Holy Spirit. The thief was in paradise with the risen Christ just like Our Lord promised, even if the bodily intellect of Jesus descended into hades.
Can you quote even one passage which is clear on that?

If God and Jesus are "one" as you say, why did Jesus ask why God had forsaken Him?

Why did Jesus pray to His Father?

Why does the Bible say God sent His only begotten Son (Jesus) to save those who believe in Him?

YET THE BIBLE IS CLEAR THAT DEATH IS A SLEEP UNTIL THE RESURRECTION!

Job 14:12 The dead “shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep” until “the heavens be no more.”

Psalms 13:3 “Lest I sleep the sleep of death.”

Daniel 12:2 “Many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake.”

Acts 7:60 When Stephen died,“he fell asleep.”

John 11:11-14 “Lazarus sleeps … Jesus spoke of his death.”

1 Corinthians 11:30; 15:6, 18, 51 Paul said death was “sleep.”

1 Thessalonians 4:13-16 Those “which sleep in Jesus” will be resurrected.

YOUR THESIS DENIES THIS IS TRUTH!
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#430925 Apr 2, 2013
KJV. 1 Thessalonians 4:13
But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are <<asleep>>, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which <<sleep>> in Jesus will God bring with him.

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are <<asleep>>.

16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
And many of them that <<sleep>> in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.(Dan. 12:2).

And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.(John 5:29).

Is the Bosom of Abraham a giant bed where dead people sleep?

Perhaps it is nothing more than a peaceful grave or tomb.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#430926 Apr 2, 2013
who="Tiger Lily"
Where is that evident?

Purgatory and Limbo are Catholic concoctions...not Biblical ones. The CC has already declared that there is no Limbo.

Abraham's bosom and Hell and Heaven are for real. Abraham and Lazarus were REAL people...thus Jesus was not telling a parable. Paradise (Abraham's bosom) was a place for the righteous dead. Read Mt. 27:52,53.

Location hidden

#430927 Apr 2, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Nephesh and Pneuma are the words used for breath or spirit of life.
We now call it oxygen which is in the air that we breathe.
Can you reconcile these verses with what you believe?
Psalms 115:17 “The dead praise not the Lord, neither any that go down into silence.”
Psalms 146:4 When a man dies,“in that very day his thoughts perish.”
Ecclesiastes 9:5 “The dead know not anything.”
Ecclesiastes 9:10 “There is no work... nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave.”
Jesus Christ taught the Resurrection of the Dead
Matthew 22:23, 29 Jesus rebuked those who said there was “no resurrection.”
Matthew 22:31 Jesus taught “the resurrection of the dead.”
Luke 14:14 The saints will “be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.”
John 5:28-29 “All who are in their graves” will be resurrected at the second coming of Christ.
John 6:39, 40, 44, 54 All believers will rise “on the last day.”
John 11:24 Martha said to Jesus,“I know that he [Lazarus] shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”
It sort of overwhelms the idea that the righteous "dead" are in Paradise alive and well.
All I can do is show you the truth...you have ever right to disregard it for your mistaken understanding of the infallible word of God..

socci

Cameron, MO

#430928 Apr 2, 2013

Verses the bedazzed & confused like to use to prove instant immortality at death.

Paul said "to be absent with the body was to be present with the Lord." -- this passage seems to indicate the departed one goes directly to the Lord upon death, but this is not so. If that were the case it would contradict other passages telling us the dead sleep until the resurrection at the Second Coming. Instead what we read here, is that the next waking moment will be with the Lord; and that this death sleep will not be remembered just as we can sleep 8 hours a night and awaken the next morning and it seems like no time has past. Our next waking moment will be with the Lord in glorified new physical bodies.

Yes physical new bodies. The resurrection of the damned is for the lost as they are physically thrown into the lake of fire as God creates a new earth (Rev 21)

The next verse is in Rev 20:

20:10 "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

The book of Revelation is a prophetic book that uses symbolism. The beast and false prophets are symbols of the old evil systems at work today, and they will be gone for ever and ever. This forever was also used for Sodom. Yet, Sodom is not still burning today.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it."

Here, the "spirit" is the breath of life. God breathed into man's nostrils the breath of life and he became a living soul.(Gn 2:7)

Many is in her grave with all the rest. There are no so-called saints in Heaven at this time. The Bible defines what is a saint, not the Pope in Rome: "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." (Rev 14:12)

When the Smoke Clears
http://youtu.be/xwl8jAqsuVg

Location hidden

#430929 Apr 2, 2013
Tiger Lily say: "The Kingdom of Heaven is our reward AFTER the resurrection."

Word of God say: Lu 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

You (Tiger Lily) are saying that Christ got it wrong...that He can't do that!!!!

I am not surprised!!!!

Location hidden

#430930 Apr 2, 2013
What next!!!!!

(CNN)-- A suspended Roman Catholic priest pleaded guilty Tuesday to a federal drug charge, the U.S. Attorney's Office for Connecticut announced.

The Rev. Kevin Wallin, 61, of Waterbury, Connecticut, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute crystal methamphetamine. With the plea, he admitted that he received and distributed 1.7 kilograms of the drug, U.S. Attorney David B. Fein said in a statement.
socci

Cameron, MO

#430931 Apr 2, 2013

Malachi 4:1 For, behold, the day comes, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yes, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that comes shall burn them up, said the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

Psalms 37:20 But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.

Obadiah 1:16 For as you have drunk on my holy mountain, so shall all the heathen drink continually, yes, they shall drink, and they shall swallow down, and they shall be as though they had not been.

Sodom and Gomorrah being an example of what is to come.

Luk 17:29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.

2 Pet 2:6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an example to those that after should live ungodly;

Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

The lost will "perish"

Ez.18:23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? said the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?

Depart from evil, and do good; and dwell for ever more.-Psalms 37:27

For the LORD loves judgment, and forsakes not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.-Psalms 37:28

The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.-Psalms 37:29

In the way of righteousness is life: and in the pathway thereof there is no death.-Proverbs 12:28

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life:-Romans 2:7

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.-Romans 6:23

So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.-1 Corinthians 15:54

But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death, and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:-2 Timothy 1:10

1 Cor.15:50-57 Now this I say, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither does corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I show you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your sting? O grave, where is your victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
4GVN

Jackson, MO

#430932 Apr 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not saying nothing of the sort.
All I'm saying is Christians had nothing written down for the first thirty yrs of the faith. And when the Apostles did began to write, it was not viewed by others as the 'entire revelation by Jesus Christ'
It was the sacred traditions along with the verbal instructions from the Apostles on what Jesus commanded, 4gvn.
The Bishops the Apostles ordained (like Clement and Ignatius) also taught with authority and wrote letters and epistles as well. They were viewed in the same breath as if they came from Paul and Peter. No one spoke up and said "wait a second, you guys ain't Peter, Paul, and John, you have no authority!"
The Apostles were getting captured and killed, and the authority was passed on.
You don't realize how new your view of the Bible is. Once it was printed, people didn't know how to interpret it. All they could muster in their brains was ' word of God, word of God', without regard to how it came to be labeled as such and what that definition really means.
Why do ignor the fact that the first christians DID have something written down. It was called the old testament. And had Jesus Himself gone against the teachings of the scriptures His followers would have rejected His message and His claims. The scriptures were and are GOD'S WORD, and God has the final authority and say on all matters of faith.
Perhaps you have heard this before Clay......"Jesus loves me, this I know....For the BIBLE tells me so."
I would also disagree with your belief that everyone looked to Clement and Ignatious as haveing the SAME credibility as the Apostles. The Apostles were given sign gifts to PROVE that they were empowered by God to do His work. That can not be said for those who followed.
And AGAIN you are casting doubt on the phrase,'Word of God'. You have given us YOUR definition and it is quite without merit or basis.
Your view of the word of God (the scriptures) is not in agreement with the scriptures themselves.
So perhaps it would clear things up a bit if you would tell us exactly what your view of the scriptures really is.
Do you believe that the bible IS the word of God?
Do you believe the bible CONTAINS the word of God?
Do you believe the bible is LITERALLY true?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stealing the Keys to Heaven (Aug '09) 19 hr Dan Dougherty 3
Pope's visit will change Philippines, Cardinal ... Thu Iglesia_Ni_Dinuguan 4
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... Thu pazuzu 85
Edmonton's Coptic Christian community welcomes ... Thu PAUL SHYKORA arts 1
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Wed Married in 8,299
Selfies with Pope Francis cardboard cutouts pop... Sep 10 ELIAS IBARRA 5
Pope Francis pursues a thaw in relations with m... Sep 9 Andrez Lopez 2
•••

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••