Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 683488 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Clay

Union, NJ

#430991 Apr 3, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~~
You need to read your BIBLE
THE WORDS OF JESUS WERE...AND HE DOES NOT LIE.
Joh 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
Joh 10:18 No man taketh it from me,
but I lay it down of myself.
I have power to lay it down, and
I have power to take it again.
This commandment have I received of my Father.
~~~
IT WAS OUR SINS THAT NAILED JESUS TO THE CROSS...yours and mine
So the Scribes and Pharisees didn't sin by killing Jesus?
Already then.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#430992 Apr 3, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
Jesus isn't "God" - so please stop promoting this untruth.

You are correct. Since Jesus never wrote anything down, why do we even listen to the second hand sources?
BTW - I utilize the teachings of Jesus, as scribed by other men. This is true, and more than I can say about the whole of Christianity, who prefer to disregard most of what Jesus taught, and ont he flipside use everyone and their brothers as sources.
You are confused.
Why do you prescribe to what men devised?
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
this is why you're not yet saved/born again!!!
"you will not see Me again until you can say "blessed is he who comes in the Name of the Lord!" Jesus
i'm coming in the Name of the Lord to tell you that JESUS IS GOD!!!
care to call me "blessed" and get on with it?:)
You don't know me, so your opinions of me are invalid to say the least.

You'll have to define "born again" in order it to be applied accurately.

Let's start with that phrase, and go from there.

We are all blessed....just because you don't think this is true, then that is your problem and you will have to reconcile it.

Self.
Fun Facts

Midland, MI

#430993 Apr 3, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
Tertullian, in 200 AD also knew nothing of the false doctrine but considered the bread and juice as symbols: "Taking bread and distributing it to his disciples he made it his own body by saying, "This is my body," that is a "figure of my body." On the other hand, there would not have been a figure unless there was a true body." (Tertullian, Against Marcion IV. 40) Transubstantiation (real presence) is a false doctrine
You may have overlooked...

" An empty thing, or phantom, is incapable of a figure. If, however,(as Marcion might say,) He pretended the bread was His body, because He lacked the truth of bodily substance,"

in other words...
Christ had a physical human body(And a Spiritual body) because the bread at the Last Supper became Christ's Body.
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/03124.htm
Questions?
http://www.catholic.com/radio/about
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#430994 Apr 3, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
All I can do is show you the truth...you have ever right to disregard it for your mistaken understanding of the infallible word of God..
Pneuma is a Greek word...and the OT was not translated from Greek...
Oxbow, you say... All I can do is show you the truth...
and then show me nothing to prove the texts I quoted to be in error.
This is from the infallible word of God...

But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. But each in his own turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. 1 Corinthians 15:20-23;

These three verses tell us Christ was raised from the dead (fallen asleep). When He comes, those who belong to Him will be awoken from this sleep. WHEN HE COMES. This proves conclusively that we don't go to Heaven at death.

You have scripture to abrogate all these texts I have posted?
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#430995 Apr 3, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
Tiger Lily say: "The Kingdom of Heaven is our reward AFTER the resurrection."
Word of God say: Lu 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.
You (Tiger Lily) are saying that Christ got it wrong...that He can't do that!!!!
I am not surprised!!!!
Is your computer broken?
Jesus was still on Earth 40 days aftre he was crucified.
That would leave the thief waiting a while, wouldn't it?
Can you reconcile with this verse.

But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. But each in his own turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. 1 Corinthians 15:20-23;

These three verses tell us Christ was raised from the dead (fallen asleep). When He comes, those who belong to Him will be awoken from this sleep. WHEN HE COMES. This proves conclusively that we don't go to Heaven at death.

Or are you lettig a misplaced comma to wreck your doctrine?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#430996 Apr 3, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Already then.
LIKE YOU ROMAN CATHOLICS.... the Scribes and Pharisees HAD THEIR OWN AGENDA...

THEY LIVED UNDER THE LAW OF MOSES...(WHICH REIGNED UNTIL CAVALRY CROSS)

JUST AS YOU LIVE UNDER THE LAWS OF THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH...

THEY HATED JESUS BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT CONTROL HIM

JUST AS YOU HATE ME AND OTHER EVANGELICALS BECAUSE

WE REFUSE TO ALLOW YOU AND YOUR PAGANISM TO CONTROL,

GOD'S GRACE TOWARD US.
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#430997 Apr 3, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>==========
If God and Jesus are "one" as you say, why did Jesus ask why God had forsaken Him?
This is the first line of Psalm 22. The ancient Jews were generally well-educated, and most had a very good knowledge (if not memorization) of the Psalms. Often a Rabbi would merely call out the first line of a Psalm and the class would recite it from memory, or at least would be familiar enough with the Psalm to know what the Rabbi was talking about. Even from the Cross, our Lord was teaching us.
Jesus quoted Psalm 22:1 in order to draw attention to it and the fact that He was fulfilling it there on the cross. Consider verses 11-18 in Psalm 22:
Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help.12 Many bulls have surrounded me; Strong bulls of Bashan have encircled me. 13 They open wide their mouth at me, As a ravening and a roaring lion. 14 I am poured out like water, And all my bones are out of joint; My heart is like wax; It is melted within me. 15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd, And my tongue cleaves to my jaws; And Thou dost lay me in the dust of death. 16 For dogs have surrounded me; A band of evildoers has encompassed me; They pierced my hands and my feet. 17 I can count all my bones. They look, they stare at me; 18 They divide my garments among them, And for my clothing they cast lots.
The term 'dogs' was used by the Jews to refer to Gentiles (cf. Matt. 15:21-28). His heart has melted within Him (v. 14). During the crucifixion process, the blood loss causes the heart to beat harder and harder and become extremely fatigued. Dehydration occurs (v. 15). Verses 16b-18 speak of piercing His hands and feet and dividing his clothing by casting lots. This is exactly what happen as described in Matt. 27:35.
Psalm 22 was written about 1000 years before Christ was born. Jesus is pointing to the scriptures to substantiate His messianic mission.
You have answered Me.
22 I will declare Your name to My brethren;
In the midst of the assembly I will praise You.
23 You who fear the LORD, praise Him!
All you descendants of Jacob, glorify Him,
And fear Him, all you offspring of Israel!
24 For He has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted;
Nor has He hidden His face from Him;
But when He cried to Him, He heard.
25 My praise shall be of You in the great assembly;
I will pay My vows before those who fear Him.
26 The poor shall eat and be satisfied;
Those who seek Him will praise the LORD.
Let your heart live forever!
27 All the ends of the world
Shall remember and turn to the LORD,
And all the families of the nations
Shall worship before You.
28 For the kingdom is the LORD’s,
And He rules over the nations.
29 All the prosperous of the earth
Shall eat and worship;
All those who go down to the dust
Shall bow before Him,
Even he who cannot keep himself alive.
30 A posterity shall serve Him.
It will be recounted of the Lord to the next generation,
31 They will come and declare His righteousness to a people who will be born,
That He has done this.
The Psalm starts with a cry of anguish, but ends on a note of triumph.
I was aware that Jesus was using a prophecy when He said, "Father, why have you forsaken me?"

But it still shows that Jesus had a need to communicate through prayer to His Father. Jesus is the Son of God. It was through Jesus the world was created.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#430998 Apr 3, 2013
Jesus isn't "God" - so please stop promoting this untruth.
You are correct. Since Jesus never wrote anything down, why do we even listen to the second hand sources?
BTW - I utilize the teachings of Jesus, as scribed by other men. This is true, and more than I can say about the whole of Christianity, who prefer to disregard most of what Jesus taught, and ont he flipside use everyone and their brothers as sources.
You are confused.
Why do you prescribe to what men devised?
<quoted text>
You don't know me, so your opinions of me are invalid to say the least.
You'll have to define "born again" in order it to be applied accurately.
Let's start with that phrase, and go from there.
We are all blessed....just because you don't think this is true, then that is your problem and you will have to reconcile it.
Self.
"You'll have to define "born again" in order it to be applied accurately"

Jesus coined the phrase in jn chap 3, the new testament epistles were written with the idea that the reader has been born again and ironically it's best described in detail by Jeremiah who hadn't even experienced it:

“Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them,[a] says the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying,‘Know the Lord,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#430999 Apr 3, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~

BECAUSE YOU REFUSE GOD'S MESSAGE OF HOPE FOUND IN THE SCRIPTURES..

YOUR GATES OF HELL WILL NOT PREVAIL AGAINST HIM NOR REPLACE HIM WITH YOUR CONJECTURE FABLES AND PAGANISM
Wrong as usual Confrinting!! Gods message of hope from the bible is proclaimed "each and every day" at Daily Mass, as it has been for over 2000 years, in Jesus Christs One True Apostolic Catholic Church. The reason that YOU have "no clue" as to the TRUE TEACHINGS in Our Lords One True Church, is that you "fundies" have rejected Jesus' "own stated words" in the Bible, particularly in the Gospel. Matthew 16:13-21 regarding His One True (Universal)Church and in John 6:47-59 regarding the Eucharist (His TRUE BODY AND TRUE BLOOD. When Jesus warns his followers about "the gates of hell", He is referring to those "outside the Church" who preach heresy. spread lies and false teaching and (hostily) persecute His disciples and HIS One True Catholic Church! God is not the author of your bible only "editorialized contradicting interpretation" of the bible. There is ONLY ONE TRUTH!!!(not 42,000 conflicting "relative truths"!!--and that TRUTH is in Jesus Christ and in His One True, PROVEN Catholic Church

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#431000 Apr 3, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Already then.
yes they did! similarly to how you're sinning by choosing religion over faith in the risen Christ.

this is why ROMAN catholics love to depict a powerful and living goddess ("mary"), but an emasculated and dead man hanging on a cross.

repent from continuously crucifying the risen Lord!

Albuquerque, NM

#431001 Apr 3, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your computer broken?
This doctrine is flawed no matter how many commas you insert.

Why is it that the earliest known copy of GoMark doesn't have the resurrection?

A: because it never occurred.

BTW - Jesus, if on the Earth for 40 days, it would have been in Spirit form only.

Albuquerque, NM

#431002 Apr 3, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
I was aware that Jesus was using a prophecy when He said, "Father, why have you forsaken me?"
But it still shows that Jesus had a need to communicate through prayer to His Father. Jesus is the Son of God. It was through Jesus the world was created.
1. Jesus never called himself "God", why do you?
2. Citation required for:
- "It was through Jesus the world was created."

I disagree with your assertion.

Albuquerque, NM

#431003 Apr 3, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
"You'll have to define "born again" in order it to be applied accurately"
Jesus coined the phrase in jn chap 3, the new testament epistles were written with the idea that the reader has been born again and ironically it's best described in detail by Jeremiah who hadn't even experienced it:
“Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them,[a] says the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying,‘Know the Lord,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”
Clueless.

OT passages do not explain this supposed process.

Please stop misleading others with the bullshite.

In other words - your definition is the only one that you are willing to accept and you have no other definition.

Fail.

Location hidden

#431004 Apr 3, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxbow, you say... All I can do is show you the truth...
and then show me nothing to prove the texts I quoted to be in error.
This is from the infallible word of God...
You have scripture to abrogate all these texts I have posted?
Practically any info on the origin of the Bible will tell you the OT was translated from the Hebrew language and the NT from the Greek language..

Your words clearly show that you are definitely a serious student of the Bible!!!!!

I have shown you several verses in Scripture that says we go to Heaven as soon as we draw our last breath. You have every right to deny the truth in these verses...and continuing trying to prove the Sacred Word of God is in error...

Location hidden

#431005 Apr 3, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your computer broken?
You (Tiger Lily) are saying that Christ got it wrong...that He can't do that!!!! I am not surprised!!!!

Nor am I surprised that you are continuing to do so...
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#431006 Apr 3, 2013
<quoted text>
This doctrine is flawed no matter how many commas you insert.
Why is it that the earliest known copy of GoMark doesn't have the resurrection?
A: because it never occurred.
BTW - Jesus, if on the Earth for 40 days, it would have been in Spirit form only.
Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here, and look at my hands. Put your hand into the wound in my side. Don't be faithless any longer. Believe!" John 20:27

Jesus then ate some fish. A spirit has no need for food.

I think you need some study on the life of Jesus after His resurrection.
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#431007 Apr 3, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You (Tiger Lily) are saying that Christ got it wrong...that He can't do that!!!! I am not surprised!!!!
Nor am I surprised that you are continuing to do so...
Christ didn't get it wrong: you did.

You hang your belief on this ONE sentence. I base mine and will continue to on MANY, MANY verses. Such as...

They praise not the Lord nor exercise mental powers.
Psa. 6:5 Psa. 115:17 Psa. 8:10-12
Eccl. 9:4-6 Psa. 146:4 Isa. 38:18,19

They do not live until the resurrection.
Rev 20:4-6 1 Cor. 15:12-21

WHAT COMFORTING ASSURANCE DOES GOD GIVE CONCERNING THE DEAD?

1. That they will all be resurrected. John 5:28-29 Rev. 20:11-15

2. That they will all ultimately receive fullness of life through the saving work of Jesus Christ.
1 Cor. 15:22-28 1 Tim. 2:3-6 Rom. 5:18,19 1 Tim. 4:9-11
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#431008 Apr 3, 2013
Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
You may have overlooked...
" An empty thing, or phantom, is incapable of a figure. If, however,(as Marcion might say,) He pretended the bread was His body, because He lacked the truth of bodily substance,"
in other words...
Christ had a physical human body(And a Spiritual body) because the bread at the Last Supper became Christ's Body.
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/03124.htm
Questions?
http://www.catholic.com/radio/about
Just popped in for a moment, but Protestants and atheists who quote Tertullian against the Eucharist do not have a clue what they are talking about. If you understand the language in the time it is written. Tertullian clearly believed as did the other Fathers in the Eucharist. It was not symbol to be figuratively was not make present. Jethros idea of scholarly work is to ingore everything written by a Catholic or honest secular or Protestant scholar and snip rhetoric from unsourced rubbish along with an opinion. It is a waste of time to try to explain anything to him. Any source other than what explains why a Catholic believes as they do and facts to counter wild assertions is tossed. If its anti-catholic then its golden and whether or not its true is irrelevant. That whay he can continue to ask why no one answers his dumb questions which have been answered and would be recognized by someone with a sign of intelligence. Par for the course of most in here. False witness has no relevance to those in here. Not worth the time. Have a good day.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#431009 Apr 3, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is indeed the Word of God, written by men inspired by the Holy Spirit.
Human thought entwined with Divine insights created the Bible.
The Holy Catholic Church gathered, edited and compiled the Bible, otherwise you'd have no clue it existed.
Your interpretations of our Sacred Scripture is one of thousands. I'm sticking with the Church that created the Christian Bible when Jesus Christ never commanded them to do so. You can stick with the nomadic evolving world of sola scripture.
You truly are stupid. Quote, "Human thought entwined with Divine insights created the Bible." Really! You should try keeping your mouth shut. When you open it you reveal your ignorance.

The "catholic" universal church gathered the Bible as directed by the Holy Spirit. It was not the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH.

Try reading a Bible it will could open your closed pathetic Roman mind.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#431010 Apr 3, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Jethros idea of scholarly work is to ingore everything written by a Catholic or honest secular or Protestant scholar and snip rhetoric from unsourced rubbish along with an opinion. It is a waste of time to try to explain anything to him. Any source other than what explains why a Catholic believes as they do and facts to counter wild assertions is tossed. If its anti-catholic then its golden and whether or not its true is irrelevant. That whay he can continue to ask why no one answers his dumb questions which have been answered and would be recognized by someone with a sign of intelligence. Par for the course of most in here. False witness has no relevance to those in here. Not worth the time. Have a good day.
"In the third century the early Christian identification of the eucharistic bread and wine with the Lord's body and blood continued unchanged, although a difference of approach can be detected in East and West. The outline, too, of a more considered theology of the eucharistic sacrifice begins to appear [I'll cover Sacrifice later]. In the West the equation of the consecrated elements with the body and blood was quite straightforward, although the fact that the presence is sacramental was never forgotten. Hippolytus speaks of 'the body and the blood' through which the Church is saved, and Tertullian regularly describes [E.g. de orat. 19; de idol. 7] the bread as 'the Lord's body.' The converted pagan, he remarks [De pud. 9],'feeds on the richness of the Lord's body, that is, on the eucharist.' The REALISM of his theology comes to light in the argument [De res. carn. 8], based on the intimate relation of body and soul, that just as in baptism the body is washed with water so that the soul may be cleansed, so in the eucharist 'the flesh feeds on Christ's body and blood so that the soul may be filled with God.' Clearly his assumption is that the Savior's BODY and BLOOD are as REAL as the baptismal WATER." (Kelly, pg 211)

So says J.N.D. Kelly, Oxford scholar and one of the greatest Protestant patristic scholars of the 20th century. Schaff may have been good last century, but his accounts on the Eucharist are incomplete and misleading. Further, Kelly goes on to say concerning -figura---
"Occasionally these writers use language which has been held to imply that, for all its realist sound, their use of the terms 'body' and 'blood' may after all be merely symbolical. Tertullian, for example, refers [E.g. C. Marc. 3,19; 4,40] to the bread as 'a figure'(figura) of Christ's body, and once speaks [Ibid I,14: cf. Hippolytus, apost. trad. 32,3] of 'the bread by which He represents (repraesentat) His very body.'
"YET WE SHOULD BE CAUTIOUS ABOUT INTERPRETING SUCH EXPRESSIONS IN A MODERN FASHION. According to ancient modes of thought a mysterious relationship existed between the thing symbolized and its symbol, figure or type; the symbol in some sense WAS the thing symbolized. Again, the verb -repraesentare-, in Tertullian's vocabulary [Cf. ibid 4,22; de monog. 10], retained its original significance of 'to make PRESENT.'
"All that his language really suggests is that, while accepting the EQUATION of the elements with the body and blood, he remains conscious of the sacramental distinction between them [as do Catholics today -- see the Catechism, paragraphs 1333ff].

"In fact, he is trying, with the aid of the concept of -figura-, to rationalize to himself the apparent contradiction between (a) the dogma that the elements are NOW Christ's body and blood, and (b) the empirical fact that for sensation they remain bread and wine." (JND Kelly, EARLY CHRISTIAN DOCTRINES, page 212)
http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/num29.htm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The pope praised him for providing for his pare... 16 hr Laredo 3
News Boston cardinal, Jewish leaders have Holocaust ... (Feb '09) Wed Dhimmi Democrat 33
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Tue Married in 10,571
News Paul Is No Inventor of Christianity, Says Pope (Sep '08) Jul 16 True Christian wi... 77
News Editorial: The Vatican's Failure in the Abuse S... Jul 13 seemoregood 1
News In Defense of Free Speech in the United States (May '15) Jul 11 Muslim lives don_... 6
News Pope Francis says 2,000 sex abuse cases backlog... Jul 10 Samoht 7
More from around the web