Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 668027 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#430927 Apr 2, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Nephesh and Pneuma are the words used for breath or spirit of life.
We now call it oxygen which is in the air that we breathe.
Can you reconcile these verses with what you believe?
Psalms 115:17 “The dead praise not the Lord, neither any that go down into silence.”
Psalms 146:4 When a man dies,“in that very day his thoughts perish.”
Ecclesiastes 9:5 “The dead know not anything.”
Ecclesiastes 9:10 “There is no work... nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave.”
Jesus Christ taught the Resurrection of the Dead
Matthew 22:23, 29 Jesus rebuked those who said there was “no resurrection.”
Matthew 22:31 Jesus taught “the resurrection of the dead.”
Luke 14:14 The saints will “be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.”
John 5:28-29 “All who are in their graves” will be resurrected at the second coming of Christ.
John 6:39, 40, 44, 54 All believers will rise “on the last day.”
John 11:24 Martha said to Jesus,“I know that he [Lazarus] shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”
It sort of overwhelms the idea that the righteous "dead" are in Paradise alive and well.
All I can do is show you the truth...you have ever right to disregard it for your mistaken understanding of the infallible word of God..

Pneuma is a Greek word...and the OT was not translated from Greek...
socci

Cameron, MO

#430928 Apr 2, 2013

Verses the bedazzed & confused like to use to prove instant immortality at death.

Paul said "to be absent with the body was to be present with the Lord." -- this passage seems to indicate the departed one goes directly to the Lord upon death, but this is not so. If that were the case it would contradict other passages telling us the dead sleep until the resurrection at the Second Coming. Instead what we read here, is that the next waking moment will be with the Lord; and that this death sleep will not be remembered just as we can sleep 8 hours a night and awaken the next morning and it seems like no time has past. Our next waking moment will be with the Lord in glorified new physical bodies.

Yes physical new bodies. The resurrection of the damned is for the lost as they are physically thrown into the lake of fire as God creates a new earth (Rev 21)

The next verse is in Rev 20:

20:10 "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

The book of Revelation is a prophetic book that uses symbolism. The beast and false prophets are symbols of the old evil systems at work today, and they will be gone for ever and ever. This forever was also used for Sodom. Yet, Sodom is not still burning today.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it."

Here, the "spirit" is the breath of life. God breathed into man's nostrils the breath of life and he became a living soul.(Gn 2:7)

Many is in her grave with all the rest. There are no so-called saints in Heaven at this time. The Bible defines what is a saint, not the Pope in Rome: "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." (Rev 14:12)

When the Smoke Clears
http://youtu.be/xwl8jAqsuVg

Location hidden

#430929 Apr 2, 2013
Tiger Lily say: "The Kingdom of Heaven is our reward AFTER the resurrection."

Word of God say: Lu 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

You (Tiger Lily) are saying that Christ got it wrong...that He can't do that!!!!

I am not surprised!!!!

Location hidden

#430930 Apr 2, 2013
What next!!!!!

(CNN)-- A suspended Roman Catholic priest pleaded guilty Tuesday to a federal drug charge, the U.S. Attorney's Office for Connecticut announced.

The Rev. Kevin Wallin, 61, of Waterbury, Connecticut, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute crystal methamphetamine. With the plea, he admitted that he received and distributed 1.7 kilograms of the drug, U.S. Attorney David B. Fein said in a statement.
socci

Cameron, MO

#430931 Apr 2, 2013

Malachi 4:1 For, behold, the day comes, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yes, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that comes shall burn them up, said the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

Psalms 37:20 But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.

Obadiah 1:16 For as you have drunk on my holy mountain, so shall all the heathen drink continually, yes, they shall drink, and they shall swallow down, and they shall be as though they had not been.

Sodom and Gomorrah being an example of what is to come.

Luk 17:29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.

2 Pet 2:6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an example to those that after should live ungodly;

Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

The lost will "perish"

Ez.18:23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? said the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?

Depart from evil, and do good; and dwell for ever more.-Psalms 37:27

For the LORD loves judgment, and forsakes not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.-Psalms 37:28

The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.-Psalms 37:29

In the way of righteousness is life: and in the pathway thereof there is no death.-Proverbs 12:28

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life:-Romans 2:7

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.-Romans 6:23

So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.-1 Corinthians 15:54

But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death, and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:-2 Timothy 1:10

1 Cor.15:50-57 Now this I say, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither does corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I show you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your sting? O grave, where is your victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
4GVN

Jackson, MO

#430932 Apr 2, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not saying nothing of the sort.
All I'm saying is Christians had nothing written down for the first thirty yrs of the faith. And when the Apostles did began to write, it was not viewed by others as the 'entire revelation by Jesus Christ'
It was the sacred traditions along with the verbal instructions from the Apostles on what Jesus commanded, 4gvn.
The Bishops the Apostles ordained (like Clement and Ignatius) also taught with authority and wrote letters and epistles as well. They were viewed in the same breath as if they came from Paul and Peter. No one spoke up and said "wait a second, you guys ain't Peter, Paul, and John, you have no authority!"
The Apostles were getting captured and killed, and the authority was passed on.
You don't realize how new your view of the Bible is. Once it was printed, people didn't know how to interpret it. All they could muster in their brains was ' word of God, word of God', without regard to how it came to be labeled as such and what that definition really means.
Why do ignor the fact that the first christians DID have something written down. It was called the old testament. And had Jesus Himself gone against the teachings of the scriptures His followers would have rejected His message and His claims. The scriptures were and are GOD'S WORD, and God has the final authority and say on all matters of faith.
Perhaps you have heard this before Clay......"Jesus loves me, this I know....For the BIBLE tells me so."
I would also disagree with your belief that everyone looked to Clement and Ignatious as haveing the SAME credibility as the Apostles. The Apostles were given sign gifts to PROVE that they were empowered by God to do His work. That can not be said for those who followed.
And AGAIN you are casting doubt on the phrase,'Word of God'. You have given us YOUR definition and it is quite without merit or basis.
Your view of the word of God (the scriptures) is not in agreement with the scriptures themselves.
So perhaps it would clear things up a bit if you would tell us exactly what your view of the scriptures really is.
Do you believe that the bible IS the word of God?
Do you believe the bible CONTAINS the word of God?
Do you believe the bible is LITERALLY true?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#430933 Apr 2, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
If God and Jesus are "one" as you say, why did Jesus ask why God had forsaken Him?
==========
If God and Jesus are "one" as you say, why did Jesus ask why God had forsaken Him?

This is the first line of Psalm 22. The ancient Jews were generally well-educated, and most had a very good knowledge (if not memorization) of the Psalms. Often a Rabbi would merely call out the first line of a Psalm and the class would recite it from memory, or at least would be familiar enough with the Psalm to know what the Rabbi was talking about. Even from the Cross, our Lord was teaching us.

Jesus quoted Psalm 22:1 in order to draw attention to it and the fact that He was fulfilling it there on the cross. Consider verses 11-18 in Psalm 22:

Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help.12 Many bulls have surrounded me; Strong bulls of Bashan have encircled me. 13 They open wide their mouth at me, As a ravening and a roaring lion. 14 I am poured out like water, And all my bones are out of joint; My heart is like wax; It is melted within me. 15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd, And my tongue cleaves to my jaws; And Thou dost lay me in the dust of death. 16 For dogs have surrounded me; A band of evildoers has encompassed me; They pierced my hands and my feet. 17 I can count all my bones. They look, they stare at me; 18 They divide my garments among them, And for my clothing they cast lots.

The term 'dogs' was used by the Jews to refer to Gentiles (cf. Matt. 15:21-28). His heart has melted within Him (v. 14). During the crucifixion process, the blood loss causes the heart to beat harder and harder and become extremely fatigued. Dehydration occurs (v. 15). Verses 16b-18 speak of piercing His hands and feet and dividing his clothing by casting lots. This is exactly what happen as described in Matt. 27:35.

Psalm 22 was written about 1000 years before Christ was born. Jesus is pointing to the scriptures to substantiate His messianic mission.

You have answered Me.

22 I will declare Your name to My brethren;
In the midst of the assembly I will praise You.
23 You who fear the LORD, praise Him!
All you descendants of Jacob, glorify Him,
And fear Him, all you offspring of Israel!
24 For He has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted;
Nor has He hidden His face from Him;
But when He cried to Him, He heard.

25 My praise shall be of You in the great assembly;
I will pay My vows before those who fear Him.
26 The poor shall eat and be satisfied;
Those who seek Him will praise the LORD.
Let your heart live forever!

27 All the ends of the world
Shall remember and turn to the LORD,
And all the families of the nations
Shall worship before You.
28 For the kingdom is the LORD’s,
And He rules over the nations.

29 All the prosperous of the earth
Shall eat and worship;
All those who go down to the dust
Shall bow before Him,
Even he who cannot keep himself alive.

30 A posterity shall serve Him.
It will be recounted of the Lord to the next generation,
31 They will come and declare His righteousness to a people who will be born,
That He has done this.

The Psalm starts with a cry of anguish, but ends on a note of triumph.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#430934 Apr 2, 2013
hey my dear brothers and sisters, Blessings! This verse blesses us in all our works.

'It is not by force nor by strenght, but by my Spirit, says the LORD of Heaven's Armies.' Zech 4:6
4GVN

Jackson, MO

#430935 Apr 2, 2013
"Clay"]<quoted text>
lol, there is no Church I've ever witnessed that shows more respect to the Bible than the Catholic Church. It IS the Word of God, because its the written words of the Apostles.//////
...NO, it is the Word of God because it has God as its author.
////////
Interpreting what they wrote vs what they actually taught is a different story.////
...No, I believe that what they wrote WAS what they actually taught. Why don't you?
//////
I'm sure you'd agree, many religions were started by individuals assuming their own authoritative interpretations of those writings.
When the Catholic Church installed Chapter/verse to the Books, everyone went Awol. Many Christian sects were formed based entirely on Chapter/verse.(The Born Again movement is a good example)
Did you feel the Holy Spirit when you declared yourself 'born again' and acknowledged Jesus Christ as your savior?/////
...Correction; I did not declare myself 'born again'. Jesus declare all those who recieved Jesus as thier Saviour as being 'born again'.
/////
Heck yeah you did, and everyone who raises there arms to God will experience the same thing.////
...Salvation has nothing...nothing to do with feelings. It has everything to do with faith. If Jesus declares one who recieves Him ans thier Saviour,'born again', that one is 'born again' whether they feel anything or not. It is by FAITH that we are saved. NOt by feelings.
/////

Location hidden

#430936 Apr 2, 2013
socci wrote:
Verses the bedazzed & confused like to use to prove instant immortality at death.
Paul said "to be absent with the body was to be present with the Lord." -- this passage seems to indicate the departed one goes directly to the Lord upon death, but this is not so. If that were the case it would contradict other passages telling us the dead sleep until the resurrection at the Second Coming. Instead what we read here, is that the next waking moment will be with the Lord; and that this death sleep will not be remembered just as we can sleep 8 hours a night and awaken the next morning and it seems like no time has past. Our next waking moment will be with the Lord in glorified new physical bodies.
Yes physical new bodies. The resurrection of the damned is for the lost as they are physically thrown into the lake of fire as God creates a new earth (Rev 21)
The next verse is in Rev 20:
20:10 "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."
The book of Revelation is a prophetic book that uses symbolism. The beast and false prophets are symbols of the old evil systems at work today, and they will be gone for ever and ever. This forever was also used for Sodom. Yet, Sodom is not still burning today.
Ecclesiastes 12:7 "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it."
Here, the "spirit" is the breath of life. God breathed into man's nostrils the breath of life and he became a living soul.(Gn 2:7)
Many is in her grave with all the rest. There are no so-called saints in Heaven at this time. The Bible defines what is a saint, not the Pope in Rome: "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." (Rev 14:12)
When the Smoke Clears
http://youtu.be/xwl8jAqsuVg
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Our happiness in the world to come lies in our being present with the Lord.

We are present with the Lord as soon as the soul quits and takes its leave and farewell of the body.

A state of separation from the body is much more preferable to the saints than that of dwelling in the body.

This desire, preference, and choice, arises from that confident assurance which they have of a better state, and of their interest in it; (We are confident, I say, &c.)

Undeniable gospel truth from Scripture...
marge

Leesburg, GA

#430937 Apr 2, 2013
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Why do ignor the fact that the first christians DID have something written down. It was called the old testament. And had Jesus Himself gone against the teachings of the scriptures His followers would have rejected His message and His claims. The scriptures were and are GOD'S WORD, and God has the final authority and say on all matters of faith.
Perhaps you have heard this before Clay......"Jesus loves me, this I know....For the BIBLE tells me so."
I would also disagree with your belief that everyone looked to Clement and Ignatious as haveing the SAME credibility as the Apostles. The Apostles were given sign gifts to PROVE that they were empowered by God to do His work. That can not be said for those who followed.
And AGAIN you are casting doubt on the phrase,'Word of God'. You have given us YOUR definition and it is quite without merit or basis.
Your view of the word of God (the scriptures) is not in agreement with the scriptures themselves.
So perhaps it would clear things up a bit if you would tell us exactly what your view of the scriptures really is.
Do you believe that the bible IS the word of God?
Do you believe the bible CONTAINS the word of God?
Do you believe the bible is LITERALLY true?
well I believe the Bible is Literally True Now, but is says something completely different Now, than before I was Born of God. Just like Jesus says, first one must be born-anew from above, and then one can See to share the Kingdom of Heaven with others.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#430938 Apr 2, 2013
1 Kings 19:11

"Go out and stand before me on the mountain," the LORD told him. And as Elijah stood there, the LORD passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake.

And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper."

Location hidden

#430939 Apr 2, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
KJV. 1 Thessalonians 4:13
But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are <<asleep>>, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which <<sleep>> in Jesus will God bring with him.
15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are <<asleep>>.
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
And many of them that <<sleep>> in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.(Dan. 12:2).
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.(John 5:29).
Is the Bosom of Abraham a giant bed where dead people sleep?
Perhaps it is nothing more than a peaceful grave or tomb.
Believers who hold to eternal security say Revelation 3:5 shows that God never blots out a name from the Book of Life. They further argue that God, who knows the future, would never list a name in the Book of Life in the first place if it would have to be blotted out later.

The Book of Life assures that God knows his true followers, keeps and protects them during their earthly journey, and brings them home to him in heaven when they die.

See: and brings them home to him in heaven when they die.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#430940 Apr 3, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of debate on this subject, jethro. There were High Sabbaths or Ceremonial Sabbaths and that leads to a variety of days of the crucifixion.
It still places Jesus on Earth days after His death and not in Heaven with the thief.
from what i read he was crucified on a Friday the day before the Sabbath,and the true Sabbath is Saturday.

usa

#430941 Apr 3, 2013
Marylou wrote:
<quoted text>
so sad for you.
don't be sad for me i'm not the one following an unholy church,and i'm not the one who fallen into believing in the one god theory on hearsay evidence,and going by an organizations idea as to what the bible might mean.when they make up false doctrines/traditions. i'm perfectly happy not to be a part of that.

usa

#430942 Apr 3, 2013
Marylou wrote:
<quoted text>
so sad for you.
I see you didn't answer my question,how come?

usa

#430943 Apr 3, 2013
It sounds like something out of a horror movie. But Italian scientists say that the “Gate to Hell” is the real deal—poisonous vapors and all.
The announcement of the finding of the ruins of Pluto’s Gate (Plutonium in Latin) at an archeology conference in Turkey last month, was recently reported by Discovery News. Francesco D'Andria, professor of classic archaeology at the University of Salento in Lecce, Italy, who has been excavating the ancient Greco-Roman World Heritage Site of Hierapolis for years, led the research team.
D’Andria told Discovery News he used ancient mythology as his guide to locate the legendary portal to the underworld.“We found the Plutonium by reconstructing the route of a thermal spring. Indeed, Pamukkale' springs, which produce the famous white travertine terraces originate from this cave.”
Scribes like Cicero and the Greek geographer Strabo mentioned the gate to hell as located at the ancient site in Turkey, noted Discovery, but nobody had been able to find it until now.
“Pluto’s Gate” has been documented in the Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites, which noted in its description of ancient Hierapolis,“Adjoining the temple on the SE is the Plutoneion, which constituted the city's chief claim to fame. It was described by Strabo as an orifice in a ridge of the hillside, in front of which was a fenced enclosure filled with thick mist immediately fatal to any who entered.”
Strabo (64 B.C.- 24 B.C.) wrote,“This space is full of a vapor so misty and dense that one can scarcely see the ground. Any animal that passes inside meets instant death. I threw in sparrows and they immediately breathed their last and fell.”
The portal to the underworld seems just as bad for your health today. The professor said,“We could see the cave's lethal properties during the excavation. Several birds died as they tried to get close to the warm opening, instantly killed by the carbon dioxide fumes.”
According to Discovery News, the fumes emanated from a cave below the site, which includes ionic columns with inscriptions to Pluto and Kore, gods of the underworld. Also discovered: the remains of a temple, and a pool and stairs placed above the cave. D'Andria is now working on a digital rendering of the site.
Amazingly, this isn’t the first entry to the underworld in the world. In the Karakum Desert, reports the Daily Mail, a fiery pit that’s been lit up for over 40 years has inspired visitors to Derweze in Turkmenistan—and on the Web. Geologists drilling in the area came across a natural gas cavern. Hoping to burn off the gas, they set it on fire. The flames continued to burn, leading locals to dub the site the “door to hell.”

usa

#430944 Apr 3, 2013
Massive list of Roman Catholic False doctrines........Transubstanti ation (real presence) is a false doctrine. Transubstantiation is a false doctrine because Jesus is not a liar: In Mt 26:29 after Jesus had said, "this is my blood" and prayed, he still referred to the contents as, "fruit of the vine". If transubstantiation of the juice into blood had occurred, as both Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches say it was at this time, then Jesus would never have referred to it as "fruit of the vine' but rather "blood". This proves that when Jesus said "take eat & drink" he LITERALLY gave them bread and juice. In like manner, Paul also refers to the elements of the Lord's Supper as "eat this bread and drink the cup" in 1 Cor 11:26 after they should be transubstantiated.

usa

#430945 Apr 3, 2013
Tertullian, in 200 AD also knew nothing of the false doctrine but considered the bread and juice as symbols: "Taking bread and distributing it to his disciples he made it his own body by saying, "This is my body," that is a "figure of my body." On the other hand, there would not have been a figure unless there was a true body." (Tertullian, Against Marcion IV. 40) Transubstantiation (real presence) is a false doctrine

usa

#430946 Apr 3, 2013
Calling the Priests "Father" is forbidden,FACT: Catholics are taught to call their priest, "Father", as a religious title of respect. Christians in the first century never called their leaders, "father". This first happened hundreds of years later.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... 16 hr Alt Right Sucks 334
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Fri Married in 10,389
News Dr Zakir Naik invites Pope Benedict XVI for ope... (Oct '06) Jan 14 Serah 14,364
News 7 reasons why Friday the 13th is considered an ... Jan 14 True Christian wi... 3
News Women should breastfeed in church, Pope Francis... Jan 11 Jeremy 3
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory (Jul '15) Dec 30 Dogen 508
News Preview: The Pope's Choir Dec '16 KenJr26 1
More from around the web