Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 599626 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Clay

Jersey City, NJ

#430181 Mar 28, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Jews DO NOT believe in sons of God or the trinity, why then would Jesus be born a Jew, practice his faith as a Jew, if he claimed to be the son of God, if Jews do not believe in sons of God?
makes no common sense.......
What makes no sense is that a supposed atheist would come on here and 'religiously' trash the Catholic Church.
Unless of course, they are not content with their choice. Ah that it. I learned this in 6th grade psychology. Look up the meaning of insecurity. Your name is next to it. You're not fully comfortable with being an ex catholic atheist. That's why you need to come on here everyday. Its sorta like you're trying to convince *you* everyday, and not us.
Something is internally wrong Mike. No true Atheist could give two cents about religion. It appears this Catholic Church is a threat to your internal security!
Busted!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#430182 Mar 28, 2013
socci wrote:
<quoted text>
neither..
Enoch, Elijah and Moses are still in their graves!
www.cgom.org/Publications/Booklets/Enoch_Elij...
For Moses to be talking with Christ...face to face...and be in his grave at the time, disproves the old adage "you can't be in two places at the same time"!!!!!

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#430183 Mar 28, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
Cathy the Catholic says:
i love the 'lenten' season cuz i get to tell everyone how deeply dedicated i am by what i'm giving up:)
I guess sarcasism isn't what YOU WILL BE giving up, huh?

Location hidden

#430184 Mar 28, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>if Jesus rose from his tomb in 3 days,rising on the Sabbath (Saturday),he would of been placed in the tomb on a Thursday or possibly a wednesday. Mark 15:42-43 says that Jesus was crucified on the day before the Sabbath. If the Sabbath mentioned was the weekly Sabbath, then that lends toward a Friday crucifixion.
Per Scripture....Christ died on the cross mid-afternoon on a Friday. He was buried before sunset the same day. He arose sometime after sunset on the next day (Saturday)...

“Sept.WeWelcomThe Pope”

Since: Apr 08

Saint John Paul II Pray 4 Us.

#430185 Mar 28, 2013
socci wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible does not come from the RC. The Bible was not even published until the printing press, 1450. So the the Christians were using scriptures called books and these did not come from the RC. The Nazarenes were the first Christians found in the book of Acts and recorded by the historians at Antioch. Also Joseph went to the British isles. The Wldensans had scriptures. We know this because they later joined the Protestants. In fact the KJV and earlier Geneva 1560 Bibles have no Catholic mss. Instead the Protestants made use of the mss from the Orthodox after they fled west, 1453.
The 1st & 2nd century Christian letters show us what they considered scripture. Rome later accepted the canon already in use, then locked it in Latin and kept it from the common man; keeping them in superstition for 1260 years.
Short video on Bible manuscripts
http://youtu.be/gGWQx5z6-Xs
The Forbidden Book
http://youtu.be/6uFgKlnEJus
YOU should be thankful, that the Popes in the past have kept THE WORD alive for us.
At a time when there were no Bible in circulation. How else would we have known about Jesus?

“If the Catholic Church discourages Bible reading, the Pope, the thousands of Catholic Bishops, and the many millions of Catholic lay people, are not aware of it. For the Popes have issued pastoral letters to the whole Church, called encyclicals, on the edifying effects of Bible reading. The Catholic Bible far outsells all other Christian Bibles worldwide. In fact, it has always been thus.

The very first Christian Bible was produced by the Catholic Church – compiled by Catholic scholars of the 2nd and 3rd century and approved for general Christian use by the Catholic Councils of Hippo (393) and Carthage (397). The very first printed Bible was produced under the auspices of the Catholic Church – printed by the Catholic inventor of the printing press, Johannes Gutenberg. And the very first Bible with chapters and numbered verses was produced by the Catholic Church – the work of Stephen Langton, Cardinal Archbishop of Canterbury. It was this perennial Catholic devotion to the Bible which prompted

Martin Luther – who certainly cannot be accused of Catholic favoritism – to write in his

Commentary on St. John: "We are compelled to concede to the Papists that they have the

Word of God, that we received it from them, and that without them we should have no

knowledge of it at all."

Albuquerque, NM

#430186 Mar 28, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
If the shoe fits (New Age)----"wear it"!!!
I am - so please show some respect.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#430187 Mar 28, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
Cathy the Catholic says:
i love the 'lenten' season cuz i get to tell everyone how deeply dedicated i am by what i'm giving up:)
AND it starts off with a BANG by me getting to walk around all day with ashes on my forehead so everyone can see just how very very humble & contrite i am:)
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#430188 Mar 28, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>

If God didn't like me, he could have done away with me a long time ago. He hasn't and he won't as long as he knows I am posting to you.(lol)
HE is, "no doubt", giving you (extra time)--in order to get your "act together" just like He did with the Prodigal Son in Luke 15:11. and just as Paul said in 2 Peter 3:9 "Jesus is willing that "none" should perish and He is giving more time for sinners and those who have turned away from Him--- to repent"---at to come to Salvation in Jesus Christ!!!
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#430189 Mar 28, 2013
Is the deity of Christ biblical?"

Answer: In addition to Jesus’ specific claims about Himself, His disciples also acknowledged the deity of Christ. They claimed that Jesus had the right to forgive sins—something only God can do—as it is God who is offended by sin (Acts 5:31; Colossians 3:13; Psalm 130:4; Jeremiah 31:34). In close connection with this last claim, Jesus is also said to be the one who will “judge the living and the dead”(2 Timothy 4:1). Thomas cried out to Jesus,“My Lord and my God!”(John 20:28). Paul calls Jesus “great God and Savior”(Titus 2:13) and points out that prior to His incarnation Jesus existed in the “form of God”(Philippians 2:5-8). God the Father says regarding Jesus:“Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever”(Hebrews 1:8). John states that “in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word [Jesus] was God”(John 1:1). Examples of Scriptures that teach the deity of Christ are many (see Revelation 1:17, 2:8, 22:13; 1 Corinthians 10:4; 1 Peter 2:6-8; Psalm 18:2, 95:1; 1 Peter 5:4; Hebrews 13:20), but even one of these is enough to show that Christ was considered to be God by His followers.

Jesus is also given titles that are unique to YHWH (the formal name of God) in the Old Testament. The Old Testament title “redeemer”(Psalm 130:7; Hosea 13:14) is used of Jesus in the New Testament (Titus 2:13; Revelation 5:9). Jesus is called Immanuel—“God with us”—in Matthew 1. In Zechariah 12:10, it is YHWH who says,“They will look on me, the one they have pierced.” But the New Testament applies this to Jesus’ crucifixion (John 19:37; Revelation 1:7). If it is YHWH who is pierced and looked upon, and Jesus was the one pierced and looked upon, then Jesus is YHWH. Paul interprets Isaiah 45:22-23 as applying to Jesus in Philippians 2:10-11. Further, Jesus’ name is used alongside God’s in prayer “Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ”(Galatians 1:3; Ephesians 1:2). This would be blasphemy if Christ were not deity. The name of Jesus appears with God's in Jesus' commanded to baptize “in the name [singular] of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”(Matthew 28:19; see also 2 Corinthians 13:14).

Actions that can be accomplished only by God are credited to Jesus. Jesus not only raised the dead (John 5:21, 11:38-44) and forgave sins (Acts 5:31, 13:38), He created and sustains the universe (John 1:2; Colossians 1:16-17). This becomes even clearer when one considers YHWH said He was alone during creation (Isaiah 44:24). Further, Christ possesses attributes that only deity can have: eternality (John 8:58), omnipresence (Matthew 18:20, 28:20), omniscience (Matthew 16:21), and omnipotence (John 11:38-44).

Now, it is one thing to claim to be God or to fool someone into believing it is true, and something else entirely to prove it to be so. Christ offered many miracles as proof of His claim to deity. Just a few of Jesus' miracles include turning water to wine (John 2:7), walking on water (Matthew 14:25), multiplying physical objects (John 6:11), healing the blind (John 9:7), the lame (Mark 2:3), and the sick (Matthew 9:35; Mark 1:40-42), and even raising people from the dead (John 11:43-44; Luke 7:11-15; Mark 5:35). Moreover, Christ Himself rose from the dead. Far from the so-called dying and rising gods of pagan mythology, nothing like the resurrection is seriously claimed by other religions, and no other claim has as much extra-scriptural confirmation.
cont
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#430190 Mar 28, 2013
cont
There are at least twelve historical facts about Jesus that even non-Christian critical scholars will admit:

1. Jesus died by crucifixion.
2. He was buried.
3. His death caused the disciples to despair and lose hope.
4. Jesus' tomb was discovered (or was claimed to be discovered) to be empty a few days later.
5. The disciples believed they experienced appearances of the risen Jesus.
6. After this, the disciples were transformed from doubters into bold believers.
7. This message was the center of preaching in the early Church.
8. This message was preached in Jerusalem.
9. As a result of this preaching, the Church was born and it grew.
10. Resurrection day, Sunday, replaced the Sabbath (Saturday) as the primary day of worship.
11. James, a skeptic, was converted when he also believed that he saw the resurrected Jesus.
12. Paul, an enemy of Christianity, was converted by an experience which he believed to be an appearance of the risen Jesus.

Even if someone were to object to this specific list, only a few are needed to prove the resurrection and establish the gospel: Jesus' death, burial, resurrection, and appearances (1 Corinthians 15:1-5). While there may be some theories to explain one or two of the above facts, only the resurrection explains and accounts for them all. Critics admit that the disciples claimed they saw the risen Jesus. Neither lies nor hallucinations can transform people the way the resurrection did. First, what would they have had to gain? Christianity was not popular and it certainly did not make them any money. Second, liars do not make good martyrs. There is no better explanation than the resurrection for the disciples’ willingness to die horrible deaths for their faith. Yes, many people die for lies that they think are true, but people do not die for what they know is untrue.

In conclusion, Christ claimed He was YHWH, that He was deity (not just “a god” but the one true God); His followers (Jews who would have been terrified of idolatry) believed Him and referred to Him as God. Christ proved His claims to deity through miracles, including the world-altering resurrection. No other hypothesis can explain these facts. Yes, the deity of Christ is biblical.

“Sept.WeWelcomThe Pope”

#430191 Mar 28, 2013
Disciple wrote:
<quoted text>
And pass the key to a pope out of nowhere...
Hmm..can you support it?
BIG D, still being a protestant I see.[lol]
BTW Pope Francis was almost elected in 2005. We are so happy with Pope Francis. Viva el Papa!!!

Acts 1, tells us that the FIRST ECUMENICAL COUNCILS was held to replace Judas.
For it is written in the Book of Psalms:'Let his encampment become desolate, and may no one dwell in it.' And:'May ANOTHER TAKE HIS OFFICE.'
Therefore, it is necessary that one of the men who accompanied us the whole time the Lord Jesus came and went among us,
beginning from the baptism of John until the day on which he was taken up from us,
become with us a witness to his resurrection."
So they PROPOSED TWO, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also known as Justus, and Matthias.
Then they prayed, "You, Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which one of THESE TWO YOU HAVE CHOSEN
TO TAKE THE PLACE IN THIS APOSTOLIC MINISTRY from which Judas turned away to go to his own place."
Then they gave lots to them, and the lot fell upon Matthias, and he was counted with the eleven apostles

Location hidden

#430192 Mar 28, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
Oxbow wrote:
"2. Why can't you understand that Jesus was not in Heaven for at least another 40 days after Good Friday. He was seen on earth with friends. He appeared in the upper room. He performed miracles. All the while the thief was waiting."
"all the while the thief was waiting" clearly says Christ was lying when He said "Lu 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise."
That is very very close to committing the one unforgivable sin...blasphemy...
New Age wrote:
I disagree.
Even Jesus disagrees with you.
(44) Jesus says:
(1) "Whoever blasphemes against the Father, it will be forgiven him.
(2) And whoever blasphemes against the Son, it will be forgiven him.
(3) But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, neither on earth nor in heaven."
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm
Why do you try to instill fear unto others with false teachings?
<quoted text>
Actually, if you look at your post, you appear to be saying that the poster was nearing blasphemy - against Jesus.
Maybe it was your wording. So I posted that you are incorrect, balsphemy against Jesus is forgiveable.
Not one word in your post above references the HS.
Analogue:
"He shot him with a 9mm hand gun".

Most sane people will know that this 9mm hand gun had to be loaded, pointed at the target, and the trigger pulled.

“Sept.WeWelcomThe Pope”

#430193 Mar 28, 2013
Mass of The Last Supper at your local Catholic Church tonight!
Enter your zip code or city…
http://www.masstimes.org/

“Sept.WeWelcomThe Pope”

#430194 Mar 28, 2013
Disciple wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell us where in the Bible it says it is a catholic Bible?
If it is catholic, why waste time writing the catechism?
To explain the Bible to people like you. If you ever had a catechism you would find footnotes on each page. Duh!

What came first the Church or the Bible

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#430195 Mar 28, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
Cathy the Catholic says:
~~~

Where in the Bible is lenten season found...

I have never ran across a scripture that refers to such a subject...

It says

Ecc 3:1 To every thing there is a season, and

a time to every purpose under the heaven:

Ecc 3:2

A time to be born, and

a time to die;

a time to plant, and

a time to pluck up that which is planted;

Ecc 3:3

A time to kill,

and a time to heal;

a time to break down, and

a time to build up;

Ecc 3:4

A time to weep, and

a time to laugh;

a time to mourn, and

a time to dance;

Ecc 3:5

A time to cast away stones, and

a time to gather stones together;

a time to embrace, and

a time to refrain from embracing;

Ecc 3:6

A time to get, and

a time to lose;

a time to keep, and

a time to cast away;

Ecc 3:7

A time to rend, and

a time to sew;

a time to keep silence, and

a time to speak;

Ecc 3:8

A time to love, and

a time to hate;

a time of war, and

a time of peace.

Ecc 3:9

What profit hath he that worketh in that wherein he laboureth?

Ecc 3:10

I have seen the travail, which God hath given to the sons of men to be exercised in it.

Ecc 3:11

He hath made every thing beautiful in his time:

also he hath set the world in their heart,

so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.

Ecc 3:12

I know that there is no good in them,

but for a man to rejoice, and to do good in his life.

Ecc

3:13 And also that every man should eat and drink, and

enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God.

Ecc

3:14 I know that, whatsoever God doeth,

it shall be for ever:

nothing can be put to it,

nor any thing taken from it: and

God doeth it, that men should fear before him.

Ecc 3:15

That which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath

already been; and God requireth that which is past.

Ecc 3:16

And moreover I saw under the sun the place of judgment,

that wickedness was there; and

the place of righteousness,

that iniquity was there.

Ecc 3:17

I said in mine heart,

God shall judge the righteous and

the wicked: for there is a time there for every purpose and

for every work.

later GOD said..

2Co_6:2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold,

-->now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

“Sept.WeWelcomThe Pope”

#430197 Mar 28, 2013
“The Church is indestructible. Over the centuries it has withstood the onslaught of Nero, Julian the Apostate, countless heresies, countless betrayals, the claims that it denies reason, schism, wars, Hitler, Mussolini, corrupt clergy, apathetic laity, and others. In fact, even the most faithful Christian will startle when he ponders the Church's list of historical enemies. The fact that it has triumphed, and even thrived, in the way it has seems to defy logic, to say the least (Cf: 1 Cor 1:25). We are, after all, an organization founded on 11 poorly educated men who followed another man--one who never wrote a word--who was killed by being nailed to logs.

Rest assured, the Church will take on and withstand nihilism, modernism, relativism, secular humanism, and any other enemy that comes to face it, and it will survive them all.(Cf: Mat 16:18)”
----------Fr-Carlos Martins
Hewrmeneutics Smeutics

New Castle, PA

#430198 Mar 28, 2013
"Thousands and thousands of people crowd the churches. Of those thousands, only a few hundred understand what is happening. Of those few hundred, only a handful take that understanding and achieve their salvation St. John Chrysostom
socci

Cameron, MO

#430199 Mar 28, 2013
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
True however it is believed by some it was an annual Saabbath commencing the passover and it was on a Thursdy there fore he would have been crucified in the middle of the week on Wednesday causing the sacrifice to cease. Thisis how I believe.

The Passover fell on the weekly Sabbath; it was a double-sabbath.

pretty good study on that here..

www.wednesdaycrucifixion.com

Albuquerque, NM

#430200 Mar 28, 2013
Trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes LTM?
Let me help you better understand these claims.
But with your input of the various notable scholars in each of these claims will help your position better.
You are going to provide citations, right?
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>cont
There are at least twelve historical facts about Jesus that even non-Christian critical scholars will admit:
Are you going to post these scholars? Are you going to include their religious affiliation, just so we can see you are using unbiased information?
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>1. Jesus died by crucifixion.
Speculation.
- Please provide historical proof of this outside the Bible.
- The Roman's kept meticulous records of pretty much everything. How come there is nothing in their history books conveying this story? But you'll provide an historic first century article, book, or somethign to prove this was recorded, right?
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>2. He was buried.
Most people who die have only a few options....so of course this could be true.
a. buried - like you said.
b. cremated - by fire or pyre
c. donated to medical Science - modern choice
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>3. His death caused the disciples to despair and lose hope.
Non-biblical citation please.
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>4. Jesus' tomb was discovered (or was claimed to be discovered) to be empty a few days later.
- This pictorial of one of the "stages of the Cross" actually shows Jesus being moved during the night time hours. Thus could imply he was being moved in the secret of the night - therefore, no body to be found in the morning.
http://benhammott.com/stations_of_the_cross/n...
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>5. The disciples believed they experienced appearances of the risen Jesus.
- only in the Bible. There is no external writings by any of the Apostles to substantiate this.
- if you are to use the Acts account, written by a 3rd generation disciple, then you are still implying a 3rd hand source is completely accurate.
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>6. After this, the disciples were transformed from doubters into bold believers.
- and yet you still only accept less than six of the original 13 Apostles.....why?
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>7. This message was the center of preaching in the early Church.
Although incorrectly applied.
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>8. This message was preached in Jerusalem.
Although incorrectly applied.
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>9. As a result of this preaching, the Church was born and it grew.
- hehehe....unfortunately many don't think you are part of this.
- The so-called "Church" has never been defined fully.
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>10. Resurrection day, Sunday, replaced the Sabbath (Saturday) as the primary day of worship.
- The resurrection is symbolism in relation to the Spirit separating from the body. We all will take part in this.
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>11. James, a skeptic, was converted when he also believed that he saw the resurrected Jesus.
Non-biblical citation required.
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>12. Paul, an enemy of Christianity, was converted by an experience which he believed to be an appearance of the risen Jesus.
No - "Paul" only seen Jesus through visions. Visions are of the mind, so that would also be indicative of "Self".

Albuquerque, NM

#430201 Mar 28, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>Even if someone were to object to this specific list, only a few are needed to prove the resurrection and establish the gospel: Jesus' death, burial, resurrection, and appearances (1 Corinthians 15:1-5). While there may be some theories to explain one or two of the above facts, only the resurrection explains and accounts for them all. Critics admit that the disciples claimed they saw the risen Jesus. Neither lies nor hallucinations can transform people the way the resurrection did. First, what would they have had to gain? Christianity was not popular and it certainly did not make them any money. Second, liars do not make good martyrs. There is no better explanation than the resurrection for the disciples’ willingness to die horrible deaths for their faith. Yes, many people die for lies that they think are true, but people do not die for what they know is untrue.
Don't you just love to add the qualifiers.....which is really just speculation and opinion.
BTW - I object to your interpretations.
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>In conclusion, Christ claimed He was YHWH, that He was deity (not just “a god” but the one true God); His followers (Jews who would have been terrified of idolatry) believed Him and referred to Him as God. Christ proved His claims to deity through miracles, including the world-altering resurrection. No other hypothesis can explain these facts. Yes, the deity of Christ is biblical.
Jesus never claimed he was "YHWH" of "God". Why do you?
"Yes, the deity of Christ is biblical."
- because that is where he is referred to....DUH!!.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 10 min Redeemed 84,311
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory 10 hr MikeF 264
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Jul 28 Gee Tee 9,601
News Hispanics energized by Argentinian pope's first... Jul 27 tomin cali 1
News Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... (Mar '14) Jul 26 pazuzu 91
News Pope previews long-awaited climate letter Jul 25 pazuzu 14
News Poll: US views of Francis dim; a plunge in appr... Jul 24 Bug Spray 20
More from around the web