Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Saban fan

Mobile, AL

#426290 Mar 7, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Saban - I meant to include my answer to this question in my last post to you.
Off-topic - my opinion of what books are to be in the canon and which ones should not, is completely irrelevant to the forum's topic. In fact, my opinion has no bearing on whether a book would be removed or not.
In this case, no books in the Bible will be removed from it.
But I will give you an answer if it pleases you.
I'm happy with the book where it is at.
Why would you even ask me such an off-topic question?
You aren't very good at staying on topic, huh? Especially when it comes to yor salvation. You would be more concerned about other things, but alas, you are concerned only for me.
I don't need your concern.
"God" is the only one who know whom "His chosen" are, and get this - you don't get one darn tootin' say in it at all.
Too bad - so sad, huh?!
I'm trying to figure out how it is off topic since you've suggested Luke, if in fact the writer, was inaccurate.

Also the whole discussion between me and you has held GoThomas as your framework. It is not in my Bible.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#426291 Mar 7, 2013
Stan-an-Ollie wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus Christ annointed and appointed Peter as the Head of HIS Church. His Church is the Holy Roman Catholic Church and nothing else matters. Oh yes, there are good people who are members of other churches, but they are members of churches that 'broke' with the Catholic Church sometime in the past for whatever reason...the Church of England came into existance when Henry VIII wanted a divore, did NOt get approval from the Pope, broke with the Church and formed his own. And woe to those people under his rule who did Not follow him. Thousands had their heads lopped off and they were hoisted up on pikes.
In the years of the Life of the Catholic Church leading up-to-date, the 'torch' has been passed on to the next appointed Pope.
You are obviously, like so many hereIN, Not a Roman Catholic and not only know very little about the Catholic Church, but the operations of the Catholic Church are 'NONE' of your business.
Get Lost. Find your own Topic. Find or startUP your own church.
Stanley says that if you startUP a church, you should call it the Round Church because you seem to go around and around and around with the same bullschidt.
From your pope approved NABre...

"Jesus’ church means the community that he will gather and that, like a building, will have Peter as its solid foundation.

I don't see one thing that begins to suggest "Catholic Church"....do you????
Saban fan

Mobile, AL

#426292 Mar 7, 2013
<quoted text>
I answered it, but it was off-topic.
Please try to stay focused on the title of this forum.
If yo have a beef against other beliefs, start your own forum to discuss them. Here your beef should be against the RCC, and not me.
Capice?
So - do you want to try again on this salvation thingie?
When you claim the writer of Acts probably didn't have his facts straight, how is my question considered off topic?

How is your "Paul" question on topic if my "Acts" question is off topic?

Location hidden

#426293 Mar 7, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it IS clear, which is why I was dumbfounded that you said the church isn't mentioned in the Bible.
Did I say the church is not mentioned in the Bible!!!!...Show my words....

You are doing the same thing you did the last time we talked...you make accusations that you can't support...is that not what we call a lie?????

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#426294 Mar 7, 2013
You Catholics attempt to put your own words in God's mouth.

while practicing the things that GOD HATES,and forbids.

Encouraging others to be involved in your conjured up fables,

deceiving them and being deceived....

Yet when you come down to the end of the road...

you can't/don't promise ...them ...that if they follow your false

teachings that they will receive have life....

You lead them down a dead end street...

TO WHERE?

~~~~

I have ask the above question before,,,BUT NO ONE HAS ANSWERED...

TO WHERE DOES YOUR CATECHISM TRADITIONS AND DOGMA

LEAD YOU WHEN YOU FOLLOW

WHAT IT SAYS...

Location hidden

#426295 Mar 7, 2013
265 157
Stan-an-Ollie wrote:
<quoted text>Roman Catholics live by the words of Jesus Christ, their Lord and Master.
Jesus Christ put a whole lotta crap to bed when he said: "Nobody comes to the Father but through ME. And nobody comes to ME except through the Father".
"For if you believe in ME and keep your FAITH, then I shall be with you for all times, even untio the end of the World".
Roman Catholics believes this very much and that Jesus Christ is one Son in being with the Father and the Holy Spirit.
Ollie says that if you believe in the Holy Trinity....you just cannot go wrong.
Your words: The fact is that Roman Catholics 'stopped' paying too much attention to the 'OLD TESTAMENT' many, many years ago. Obviously, you haven't.
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#426296 Mar 7, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
None of the above, as there isn't a prayer that implores Mary to save us. Cite the prayer you refer to, please.
Salvation is through God alone.
Look it up. I gave you the link. That's what they teach.
Yea that would be great and I have many times. The only responses I get are from crickets.
If you we're honestly seeking the truth I would re post them, but you are not and I'll be wasting my time.

Location hidden

#426297 Mar 7, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
None of the above, as there isn't a prayer that implores Mary to save us. Cite the prayer you refer to, please.
Salvation is through God alone.
Look it up. I gave you the link. That's what they teach.
"Salvation is through God alone."

Not in the Bible....it teaches salvation is through the incarnate Son of God...Jesus Christ...

Location hidden

#426298 Mar 7, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's where they start teaching what they believe on Salvation.
No "Mary".
1996 Our justification comes from the grace of God. Grace is favor, the free and undeserved help that God gives us to respond to his call to become children of God, adoptive sons, partakers of the divine nature and of eternal life.46
1997 Grace is a participation in the life of God. It introduces us into the intimacy of Trinitarian life: by Baptism the Christian participates in the grace of Christ, the Head of his Body. As an "adopted son" he can henceforth call God "Father," in union with the only Son. He receives the life of the Spirit who breathes charity into him and who forms the Church.
1998 This vocation to eternal life is supernatural. It depends entirely on God's gratuitous initiative, for he alone can reveal and give himself. It surpasses the power of human intellect and will, as that of every other creature.47
1999 The grace of Christ is the gratuitous gift that God makes to us of his own life, infused by the Holy Spirit into our soul to heal it of sin and to sanctify it. It is the sanctifying or deifying grace received in Baptism. It is in us the source of the work of sanctification:48
Therefore if any one is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has passed away, behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself.49
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P6Z.H...
Pope Leo XIII:“The recourse we have to Mary in prayer follows upon the office she continuously fills by the side of the throne of God as Mediatrix of Divine grace; being by worthiness and by merit most acceptable to Him, and, therefore, surpassing in power all the angels and saints in Heaven.

Now, this merciful office of hers, perhaps, appears in no other form of prayer so manifestly as it does in the Rosary. For in the Rosary all the part that Mary took as our co-Redemptress comes to us, as it were, set forth, and in such wise as though the facts were even then taking place; and this with much profit to our piety, whether in the contemplation of the succeeding sacred mysteries, or in the prayers which we speak and repeat with the lips.”(Iucunda Semper Expectatione, n. 2)

mediatrix - a woman who is a mediator
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#426299 Mar 7, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
TO WHERE?
~~~~
LEAD YOU WHEN YOU FOLLOW
WHAT IT SAYS...
Heaven. We follow the Holy Scriptures as given by the Church and highlighted by the Catechism.

You on the other hand, do not even follow the teachings of the Pentecostal Ministers that came before you.

Location hidden

#426300 Mar 7, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You want a denomination named before denominations existed?
Are you Oxbow?
You continually say that the church Christ built is the Catholic Church!!!!! Well, guess what Hiram....The Roman Catholic Church is a denomination....
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#426301 Mar 7, 2013
Here is a catholic blog where a real concerned catholic is asking other fellow Catholics why two prayers seem to be backwards.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php...

I can't see any wisdom in the responses she gets...
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#426302 Mar 7, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
265 157
<quoted text>
Your words: The fact is that Roman Catholics 'stopped' paying too much attention to the 'OLD TESTAMENT' many, many years ago. Obviously, you haven't.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Catholics have no choice but to follow the OT, because that's what Christ and the Apostles did. They set up the Catholic Church.

"All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for correction and for training in rightousness, that that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work"
2Tim 3:16

Here Paul is obviously talking about the OT scriptures.
Catholics listen to Paul.

(ps. it does not matter if future born agains claim that 2tim 3:16 is referring to future letters that would become the NT. Your ignorance does not wash your hands. You all mean well, but you're not an authority on scripture )
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#426303 Mar 7, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
Dust Storm:... the Vatican did not even start receiving information until 2001.
-
LOL! there are ARCHIVES in the Vatican dating back CENTURIES on the child rapists harbored by your church.
-
But YOU choose to ignore the obvious - buffoon, indeed.
-
And when you choose to IGNORE Christ Jesus himself, "Call no man your father," over the pope insisting that you do .. that is where you go terribly wrong.
from.
the.
start.
"Call no man father" was properly explained to you.

You have no business isolating a verse and putting a meaning that Jesus Christ did not intend for.
I think you done enough damage to our sacred scripture, Guest. Its time to hand it back. You can't carry it with you to judgement day, how are you going to make excuses before God??

Location hidden

#426304 Mar 7, 2013
302 265 157
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing could be further from the truth. Catholics have no choice but to follow the OT, because that's what Christ and the Apostles did. They set up the Catholic Church.
"All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for correction and for training in rightousness, that that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work"
2Tim 3:16
Here Paul is obviously talking about the OT scriptures.
Catholics listen to Paul.
(ps. it does not matter if future born agains claim that 2tim 3:16 is referring to future letters that would become the NT. Your ignorance does not wash your hands. You all mean well, but you're not an authority on scripture )
Hey...Lost in the Fog....

Guess what!!!! I did not say "The fact is that Roman Catholics 'stopped' paying too much attention to the 'OLD TESTAMENT' many, many years ago. Obviously, you haven't."
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#426305 Mar 7, 2013
<quoted text>
No, you got it all wrong.
I left Christianity, because of the morons.
Please make a note of it.
And with you keep telling me what I did and didn't do, only goes to show this attitude is strong with you.
Keep it up "Fred".
I'll give you back twicefold what you expel from your mouth.
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm
(14) Jesus said to them:
(1)‘If you fast, you will bring forth sin for yourselves.
(2) And if you pray, you will be condemned.
(3) And if you give alms, you will do harm to your spirits.
(4) And if you go into any land and wander from place to place,(and) if they take you in,
(then) eat what they will set before you. Heal the sick among them!
(5) For what goes into your mouth will not defile you.
Rather, what comes out of your mouth will defile you."
(108) Jesus says:
(1) "Whoever will drink from my mouth will become like me.
(2) I myself will become he,
(3) and what is hidden will be revealed to him."
Hmm let me get this right.
We're you a moron before you left Christianity or you just became one after?
If you just became one after then you might want to re think your strategy. If you we're one already then It doesn't seem to be working for you either way.
Clay

United States

#426306 Mar 7, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
302 265 157
<quoted text>
Hey...Lost in the Fog....
Guess what!!!! I did not say "The fact is that Roman Catholics 'stopped' paying too much attention to the 'OLD TESTAMENT' many, many years ago. Obviously, you haven't."
No of course not. Why would we stop paying attention to the OT? Did it suddenly not become inspired by God?
Clay

United States

#426307 Mar 7, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You are too kind!!!!
Thanks again for our honesty...
Your words: What's the problem? I said Peter made Ignatius Bishop of Antioch. Is it recorded in the Bible? No. Does that mean it didn't happen? If no, then why?
Your words plainly say that Catholics follow teachings of dead "saints".....Christi ans follow the teachings of Jesus Christ
Ah, those were my words, not Hojo.
Ignatius was following the teachings of his teachers, the Apostles.
A serious Christian might be interested in what he had to say, since he actually heard the Gospel from the Apostles themselves.
You claim we listen to him, instead of the Apostles or something?
Perhaps you could show us where Ignatius contradicts their teachings??

Location hidden

#426308 Mar 7, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
No of course not. Why would we stop paying attention to the OT? Did it suddenly not become inspired by God?
I have a really good suggestion....ask the guy that said it!!!!
Yahchanan

Shawnee, OK

#426310 Mar 7, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
TO WHERE?
~~~~
LEAD YOU WHEN YOU FOLLOW
WHAT IT SAYS...
Catholicks have changed the word to suit them self's If it allows them to sin they are all about it.I'm sure it says do not add to my word or take away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 41 min Crazy 9,205
News Pinoys in NY prepare for Calungsod's sainthood (Aug '12) 21 hr untilthelighttak ... 209
News Pope Holds Meeting to Encourage Adoption of U.N... 21 hr untilthelighttak ... 7
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 21 hr untilthelighttak ... 84,124
News Pope on free speech: What about turning the oth... Sat KristoFMYsagun 11
News Cuban bishop says news of papal visit brings 'h... May 1 the AWSOME Cowboy 1
News Woman excommunicated from Catholic Church calls... Apr 30 untilthelighttak ... 2
More from around the web