Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 20,452)

Showing posts 409,021 - 409,040 of532,173
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

preston wrote:
<quoted text>why dont you use the Bible to show us ONE person that received the Holy Ghost and Salvation by being just Baptised by WATER, according to your churchs intrepretation of what Acts 2:38 says.
Hank has b een on here for several years and has been asked that question many, many times and failed to show us ONE person.
Maybe you are smarter than he is and can provide that name for us?
NOT ONE CHRISTIAN(AND I DONT INCLUDE YOU AND HANK IN THAT GROUP)AGREES WITH YOUR INTREPRETATION OF WHAT YOUR CHURCH THINKS THAT PETER IS SAYING.
in fact, lets look at peter and his brother andrew(who we do know followed John the Baptist)they followed John and therefore they did have his Baptism, yet until some time later after Following Jesus, did they receive the Holy Ghost as He breathed on them and told them to "receive the Holy Ghost".
and no one can say that they were unsaved until jesus told them to Receive the Holy Ghost. I just dont believe that!
Hey Preston,

If God says something saves but man claims it is unnecessary, does that man truly believe God?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

Salvation is a work of God, not of man.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

guest wrote:
It is no surprise to me that you took my statement out of context. It's what Catholics *do*.
-
In order to keep my post intact, I'm taking your original quote of mine - in the same manner you quoted me, and I'm making a quick reply - and then I am re-entering my original post below so it is accurately quoted. When you leave out key words, meaning can be misconstrued.
-

<quoted text>
-
Why did you quote me out of context? And more importantly, why do the leaders of the Catholic Church think they can continually do this sort of thing and never be questioned?
-
I know the answer, so it's a rhetorical question: They are used to getting their way because they claim apostolic succession allows their sole and exclusive interpretation of Holy Scripture.
-
-
<quoted text>
-
JUSTICE SAID:
“The
CHURCH
CHOSE
the
CANON
of
scripture,
which books were inspired at the end of the 4th Century.”
-
Which is what I said. The CHURCH added scripture!
-
The
HEBREW CANON …...
…......... WAS CLOSED! For approximately 800 years before the Roman Catholic Church set about deciding on its own what books should be included.
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
THE IMPORTANT POINT to make here - is the Jewish canon was closed almost 800 years before the RCC added those 7 books.
-
The Jewish canon is *still *- TO THIS DAY –*closed* for additional writings; the books which were included at the time of closure HAVE NOT CHANGED in 2,400 YEARS.
-
IOW – The Jewish people did not add those 7 books at any time to their Hebrew scriptures and no-one else has the right to re-write the Jewish Bible.
-
So. Only those books now in the LONGSTANDING and SURVIVING JEWISH CANON have any credible, solid claim for canonicity.
The Jews can have whatever books in their Bible they choose. In fact, so could you if you want (didnt Thomas Jefferson do it?)

In Christianity, the inspired books were determined by the Holy Catholic Church holding council with the Bishop of Rome presiding in the 4th century.
How they determined this canon was based on the Hebrew books the Apostles and their Disciples used in the first century. Im sorry Guest, but they did not consider what the official Jewish canon contained - because that didn't happen until 70 yrs after Pentecost anyway and they were compiled by Jews who rejected Jesus Christ. They were not Christians. Their declaration could not have unsurped the Apostles.
(remember Jesus Christ gave the Apostles real authority from above. He gave Peter the keys. What these men taught can not be undone. They passed on the authority to their successors because they could - they had the authority to do so! And it was the will of the Lord to continue His Church to present day)

Martin Luther had no such authority to remove any books or add words ('Alone' to Romans 3:28) Your religion is the product of this wicked man and his false teachings.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Notice the little word "IN".....

"He who began a good work <<<IN>>> you."

What the Apostle Paul is talking about here is what the Bible elsewhere calls 'being born from above' or 'being born again.'

God has done a WORK that is so radical/changing, it can only be described as 'being born again.'

being raised from the dead.....

being transformed into a new creation.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Ephesians 2:4-5

4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy,

5 <<<<<made us alive with Christ>>>>> even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.

made us alive with Christ....HOW IS THIS DONE???

even when we were DEAD in TRANSGRESSIONS...SIN (SPIRITUALLY DEAD)

2 Corinthians 5:17

17 Therefore, <<<<<if anyone is in Christ,>>>>> the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!

if anyone is in Christ.....HOW DO WE BECOME IN CHRIST???

the new creation has come......

the old has gone.....

the NEW is here.......
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

It is a powerful work of God in the very center of our being/soul.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

"He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned" (Mark 16:16).

This requires not any spirituality to understand....

There is no salvation in merely believing and being dunked....it is not a "done deal". Mr 16:16 says so.....look at the words "will be saved"....

"Will be" is in the future sense...it hasn't happened yet!!!!!
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

preston wrote:
<quoted text>why dont you use the Bible to show us ONE person that received the Holy Ghost and Salvation by being just Baptised by WATER, according to your churchs intrepretation of what Acts 2:38 says.
Hank has b een on here for several years and has been asked that question many, many times and failed to show us ONE person.
NOT ONE CHRISTIAN(AND I DONT INCLUDE YOU AND HANK IN THAT GROUP)AGREES WITH YOUR INTREPRETATION OF WHAT YOUR CHURCH THINKS THAT PETER IS SAYING.
in fact, lets look at peter and his brother andrew(who we do know followed John the Baptist)they followed John and therefore they did have his Baptism, yet until some time later after Following Jesus, did they receive the Holy Ghost as He breathed on them and told them to "receive the Holy Ghost".
and no one can say that they were unsaved until jesus told them to Receive the Holy Ghost. I just dont believe that!
Who from the NT received salvation without baptism?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

preston wrote:
You got my interest..

Quote: and no one can say that they were unsaved until jesus told them to Receive the Holy Ghost. I just dont believe that!

Are you saying because they were baptized by John, they were saved, and when they received the Holy Ghost, they were saved again???
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong Sadan Remember Joel's prophecy Joel 2:28
A New Testament reference to this verse provides help in understanding this statement. In Acts 2:15-17 Peter is preaching on the Day of Pentecost:“For these people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. But this is what was uttered through the prophet Joel:‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh.’”
"ALL FLESH"
In this sermon, Peter connects Joel’s prophecy with the Holy Spirit’s coming and the commencement of the church. Not every detail of Joel’s prophecy is yet fulfilled, but the “pouring out of the Spirit” began on the Day of Pentecost. From that time, the Holy Spirit "INDWELLS ALL" those who come to faith in Jesus Christ.
Based on you comment here I don't understand what I said that you are claiming is wrong.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

preston wrote:
<quoted text>you notice that Peter and the other Apostles were not included in that Experience of the Holy Ghost falling on those in the upper Room and also in the streets of Jerusalem, which agrees with jesus already giving them the Holy Ghost previous to that Day.
the Holy Ghost fell on those people BEFORE they were Baptised as the Bible says.everyway that the campbellites turn, the Bible Proves them WRONG.
Your experience and mine agrees with the Bible, they have no Spirtual Experience to even testify about just as the catholic CANT.
a person(campbellites) cant PROFESS something that they dont POSSESS(Salvation)
Is that the order we're given in Acts 2:38? Believe then the Holy Ghost falls on you then you repent then you might get baptized if you want to symbolize an event for others? No.

The order is simple and simply stated. Acts 2:38.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Acording to you last post Sadan, you haven't because you don't believe we are baptized in to Christ by the same baptism as the apostles. So which is it?? Is God the same God to all generations,
to all people or not??
The special anointing of the Holy Spirit to Preach , Teach, Pastor etc. are given to people God has chosen before time began maybe this is what you are referring to.
If you could immediately speak in languages you'd never learned as well as do other miracles, I'd believe you were baptized with the same baptism the Apostles experienced. You can't.

http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.asp...
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Romans 5:10

10 For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!

while we were God's enemies....IN SIN....

we were reconciled to him through the DEATH of His Son.....HOW???

how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life....HOW???
Fun Facts

Midland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
"He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned" (Mark 16:16).
This requires not any spirituality to understand....
There is no salvation in merely believing and being dunked....it is not a "done deal". Mr 16:16 says so.....look at the words "will be saved"....
"Will be" is in the future sense...it hasn't happened yet!!!!!
You may not be aware of...
http://www.scripturecatholic.com/salvation.ht...

Questions?
http://avemariaradio.net/catholic-online-radi...
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

preston wrote:
<quoted text>you notice that Peter and the other Apostles were not included in that Experience of the Holy Ghost falling on those in the upper Room and also in the streets of Jerusalem, which agrees with jesus already giving them the Holy Ghost previous to that Day.
the Holy Ghost fell on those people BEFORE they were Baptised as the Bible says.everyway that the campbellites turn, the Bible Proves them WRONG.
Your experience and mine agrees with the Bible, they have no Spirtual Experience to even testify about just as the catholic CANT.
a person(campbellites) cant PROFESS something that they dont POSSESS(Salvation)
Are you saying the 3000 people added to the church that day were all in the upper room together?
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
You cannot validate your alleged remarks against the Holy Ghost from the Bible...
Evidently you are a traditionalist...
that denies the fact that the Holy Ghost...
is just as active in the Church today (the twenty first century )...
as HE was IN THE EARLY CHURCH....
from the Second Chapter of the Acts of the apostles ..
through out the rest of the New Testament.
In your ignorance of God's word..You make absurd statements in your post... Blatant insults to the Godhead, yet you have the audacity to call them facts...
Matthew 6 verses found 12 matches..
DID JOHN BAPTIST LIE when said
Mat_3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear:
he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
You must think he did...
Mark 4 verses found 8 matches
Luke 11 verses found 23 matches
John 4 verses found 8 matches
THE HOLY GHOST IS FROM THE ACTS OF THE APOSTLES THROUGH JUDE IS REFERENCED....
Acts 41 verses
Act 19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
Act 19:7 And all the men were about twelve.
DID THE EVENT ABOVE NEVER HAPPEN?
Romans 5 verses
1 Corinthians 3 verses
2 Corinthians 2 verses
1 Thessalonians 2 verses
2 Timothy 1 verse
Hebrews 5 verses
1 Peter 1 verses
2 Peter 1 verses
1 John 1 verses
Jude 1 verses
Jud_1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
I SUGGEST THAT YOU STURDY YOUR BIBLE AND LEARN THE TRUTH BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO TEACH IT.
Studied.

http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.asp...
Sambo

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Roman Catholic Church only true church?. It is!!!. You know when lightening struck the Vatican moments after the Pope resigned. That was the Holy Spirit blessing that church!!!
Clay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Who from the NT received salvation without baptism?
Saint Dismus. He was the theif who was crucified along side Jesus..

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Christ and the Apostles commanded us to be Baptized with water. In the name of the Father, of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
The reasons why God wants water is not for us to dictate. The fact is, He wants water.
Perhaps because God created water for all His creation. Nothing can survive without water.
Water is the essential ingredient for life. We humans can not live without it. Its obvious why God wants us to be Baptized by using His most precious substance known to human beings.

But don't worry Saban. Anyone who makes the initial decision to be Baptized, would still meet the criteria the Evangelicals demand. The Baptized still accepts Christ while the water is being poured.
Then why even use water, they ask?
Because God wants it and who are we to tell Him its unnecessary. Who are we to tell Him John the Baptist didn't need any stupid water?
I'm glad the C.O.C still stresses the use of water Baptism.
I think all of Protestantism did until the Born Agains arrived and attempted to undo it.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
This is my last go on this merry-go-round!!!!
This passage contains the conditions for salvation: faith and baptism.
It also contains the conditions for damnation: a lack of faith. If anyone wants to know what to do to go to hell, have them read Mark 16:16 -- all that is necessary is a lack of faith. If they want to know what to do for salvation, have them read the same verse -- it tells them to believe and be baptized.
Damnation is not the lack of being washed in the river!!!! Damnation is in the lack of belief.....
Was I wrong to say our sin condemns us?
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Truth wrote:
It is a powerful work of God in the very center of our being/soul.
John 6:29
Jesus answered and said unto them, "This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 409,021 - 409,040 of532,173
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 3 hr Married in 8,118
More 11 hr Warner 1
In Manila, Catholics pray for smooth succession (Mar '13) 16 hr SeniorPersonalsDating 102
Serbian patriarch reportedly opposed to canoniz... 21 hr Marko 3
Newlywed El Pasoan meets Pope Francis Jul 18 Imperial Chicano 6
.com | Pope's hints on married priests trouble ... Jul 16 truth 1
Pope calls for Middle East cease-fire Jul 13 Zioni 5
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••