Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 548,222
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

#424397 Feb 24, 2013
marge wrote:
Hey Hojo, i'll give you the Scripture alone again, it says what it says and there are no opinions involved;
Order at the Lord’s Supper
17But in the following instructions, I cannot praise you. For it sounds as if more harm than good is done when you meet together.
18First, I hear that there are divisions among you when you meet as a church, and to some extent I believe it.
19But, of course, there must be divisions among you so that you who have God’s approval will be recognized!
20When you meet together, you are not really interested in the Lord’s Supper.
21For some of you hurry to eat your own meal without sharing with others. As a result, some go hungry while others get drunk.
22What? Don’t you have your own homes for eating and drinking? Or do you really want to disgrace God’s church and shame the poor? What am I supposed to say? Do you want me to praise you? Well, I certainly will not praise you for this!
23For I pass on to you what I received from the Lord himself. On the night when he was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took some bread
24and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and said,“This is my body, which is given for you. Do this to remember me.”
25In the same way, he took the cup of wine after supper, saying,“This cup is the new covenant between God and his people—an agreement confirmed with my blood. Do this to remember me as often as you drink it.”
26For every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are announcing the Lord’s death until he comes again.
27So anyone who eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord unworthily is guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.
28That is why you should examine yourself before eating the bread and drinking the cup.
29For if you eat the bread or drink the cup without honoring the body of Christ, you are eating and drinking God’s judgment upon yourself.
30That is why many of you are weak and sick and some have even died.
31But if we would examine ourselves, we would not be judged by God in this way.
32Yet when we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned along with the world.
33So, my dear brothers and sisters, when you gather for the Lord’s Supper, wait for each other.
34If you are really hungry, eat at home so you won’t bring judgment upon yourselves when you meet together. I’ll give you instructions about the other matters after I arrive.
Now Hojo, is it not you and the men you follow that add their opinions to what the above clearly states?
Wrong!! You "bible only self-interpreters" just "read into" whatever meaning of these verses that "supports" your "own Protestant opinioned" beliefs. I am well acquainted with the "editorial" bible only "cherry picking" of the Scriptures, ignoring the spoken and stated words of Jesus Christ HIMSELF in the Gospels, in favor of the words of Paul,(as a former Protestant). All that "anyone" on this forum has to do is to read the "what I think (argumentive) opinions" that (each one) you "fundies" have regarding: baptism, the body and blood of Christ, salvation, the Church, and any other "suppositional and controversial" doctrine of beliefs--of which-- "none of you bible only self-interpreters (or better yet MIS-INTERPRETERS" CAN EVER,nor WILL EVER agree on!! You "fundies" just keep "running around in circles" with more and more Protestant contradicting and inconsistent bible (mis-interpretation of "confusion and chaos". 42,000 different interpretations today, 42,500 next week, 43,000 in March and the chaos continues to go on and on!!!
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#424398 Feb 24, 2013
If you believe in God's word....then....

Baptism has a prominent place in Scripture.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#424399 Feb 24, 2013
Working of God....

Naaman has to go dip in an old dirty river 7 times to be cured of his leprosy.

Was it the water???
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#424400 Feb 24, 2013
preston wrote:
I am really amazed that catholics can think that that little flat piece(looks like paper) is comparable to what Jesus and his Friends ate that day.
Jesus took a loaf of bread and broke it, and then shared it with them, unlike the ritual the catholic use.
It doesn't have to be the exact size shape or smell of the bread that the Apostles ate that day. I don't recall any scripture telling us it has to be the exact recipe they ate!

Paul says "For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night He was betrayed took bread, and when He had given thanks He broke it, and said "this is my body, which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me. In a similar way He took the chalice after supper saying "This is the chalice of the new covenant in my blood. Do This in remembrance of me. For as often as you eat the bread and drink the chalice, you proclaim the Lords death until He comes"
'whoever therefore, eats the bread or drinks the chalice in an unworthy manner, will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord'
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

#424401 Feb 24, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU HAVE NOTHING THAT SUPERSEDES THE WORD OF GOD...
YOUR PUNY RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATION'S HISTORY.... COMPARED WITH THE
IMMUTABILITY OF GOD'S WORD IS ZILCH...
YOUR ARROGANCE IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE...
We don't need anything to supercede the Word of God--because we/ as Catholics (already) HAVE THE WORD OF GOD! The TRUTH of the TRUE WORD OF GOD! It is the TRUE interpretation of the WORD OF GOD--which has, is and will continue to be the TRUTH, that has been PROVEN over and over again, for over 2000 years, manifested IN and THROUGH Jesus Christ and His One True Apostolic Catholic Church. Jesus Christs One True Catholic Church --does not "editorialize" the meaning of bible verses, that has "infected, plagued, and divided Protestant (bible on Christianity since the Reformation. Personal opinionate "relative truth" (what each person thinks) interpretation of the bible, is the (only reason) that there are over 42,000 contradicting and inconsistent (hodge-podge) of bible only beliefs.---It is "no wonder" that thousands and thousands of Protestants are "fed up" with "relative truth Christianity" and the "contradicting (split) of (opinions) in the Protestant Churches and are coming to the TRUTH of the Bible and Salvation in Jesus Christ and the Catholic Church.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#424402 Feb 24, 2013
preston wrote:
I am really amazed that catholics can think that that little flat piece(looks like paper) is comparable to what Jesus and his Friends ate that day.
Jesus took a loaf of bread and broke it, and then shared it with them, unlike the ritual the catholic use.
Unfortunately for you and the other 'johnny come lately's', your Bible manipulation concerning the Eucharist is a losing battle.
You see, I've partook in it. In fact, I did so about 4 hrs ago and i testify to the deep spiritual conviction Our Lord graced us with. It just so happens billions of other Catholics and Orthodox will testify to the same thing. It appears to me, the first 1800 yrs of Christianity had it right, and you guys have no business using our Bible to change it. Sorry to be so blunt Preston, but its the truth. You have no authority to tamper with Christianity like that.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#424403 Feb 24, 2013
preston wrote:
<quoted text>you notice that Peter and the other Apostles were not included in that Experience of the Holy Ghost falling on those in the upper Room and also in the streets of Jerusalem, which agrees with jesus already giving them the Holy Ghost previous to that Day.
the Holy Ghost fell on those people BEFORE they were Baptised as the Bible says.everyway that the campbellites turn, the Bible Proves them WRONG.
Your experience and mine agrees with the Bible, they have no Spirtual Experience to even testify about just as the catholic CANT.
a person(campbellites) cant PROFESS something that they dont POSSESS(Salvation)
I agree with you Preston and this scripture proves you are right.

Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them,“Peace be unto you.” And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the LORD. Then said Jesus to them again,“Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them,{“Receive ye the Holy Ghost:} Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.” But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples therefore said unto him,“We have seen the LORD.” But he said unto them,“Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.”(Jn. 20:19-25)

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#424404 Feb 24, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Your right. Jumping in the river, won't. Being baptized for the remission of sins will. You are also right that it stares us in the face (Acts 2:38-41) on the day the church was established yet it is denied.
I don't understand your packing a lunch and brining a fan. Is that additional tradition of man that is followed as if its religion? Frankly, it doesn't require packing a lunch or a fan and to require such be a prerequisite to baptism would be to denominationalize Christ's church.
This is my last go on this merry-go-round!!!!

"He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned" (Mark 16:16).

This passage contains the conditions for salvation: faith and baptism.

It also contains the conditions for damnation: a lack of faith. If anyone wants to know what to do to go to hell, have them read Mark 16:16 -- all that is necessary is a lack of faith. If they want to know what to do for salvation, have them read the same verse -- it tells them to believe and be baptized.

Damnation is not the lack of being washed in the river!!!! Damnation is in the lack of belief.....
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

#424405 Feb 24, 2013
marge wrote:
Hey Hojo, i'll give you the Scripture alone again, it says what it says and there are no opinions involved;
Order at the Lord’s Supper
17But in the following instructions, I cannot praise you. For it sounds as if more harm than good is done when you meet together.
18First, I hear that there are divisions among you when you meet as a church, and to some extent I believe it.
19But, of course, there must be divisions among you so that you who have God’s approval will be recognized!
20When you meet together, you are not really interested in the Lord’s Supper.
21For some of you hurry to eat your own meal without sharing with others. As a result, some go hungry while others get drunk.
22What? Don’t you have your own homes for eating and drinking? Or do you really want to disgrace God’s church and shame the poor? What am I supposed to say? Do you want me to praise you? Well, I certainly will not praise you for this!
23For I pass on to you what I received from the Lord himself. On the night when he was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took some bread
24and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and said,“This is my body, which is given for you. Do this to remember me.”
25In the same way, he took the cup of wine after supper, saying,“This cup is the new covenant between God and his people—an agreement confirmed with my blood. Do this to remember me as often as you drink it.”
26For every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are announcing the Lord’s death until he comes again.
27So anyone who eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord unworthily is guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.
28That is why you should examine yourself before eating the bread and drinking the cup.
29For if you eat the bread or drink the cup without honoring the body of Christ, you are eating and drinking God’s judgment upon yourself.
30That is why many of you are weak and sick and some have even died.
31But if we would examine ourselves, we would not be judged by God in this way.
32Yet when we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned along with the world.
33So, my dear brothers and sisters, when you gather for the Lord’s Supper, wait for each other.
34If you are really hungry, eat at home so you won’t bring judgment upon yourselves when you meet together. I’ll give you instructions about the other matters after I arrive.
Now Hojo, is it not you and the men you follow that add their opinions to what the above clearly states?
OK!--So you listed a bunch of bible verses from Paul!---Since the the bible cannot interpret "itself", then please tell me and the rest of us Catholics-- what do these words mean!! We as Catholics, already "know the account of Jesus Christ at the Last Supper, the SPOKEN AND STATED WORDS that Jesus Christ proclaimed and what Jesus' OWN EXPLICIT WORDS regarding the Eucharist TRULY MEANT- ALL IN THE GOSPEL--so please tell us (according to you) what do they mean!!!

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#424406 Feb 24, 2013
2Co_13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

The relationship and fellowship with God (THE FATHER) through Jesus Christ is a personal relationship...
JUST AS ADAM AND EVE'S RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD WAS PERSONAL AND INTIMATE.

Gen 3:8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.

Gen 3:9 And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?

Gen 3:10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.

MAN WAS CREATED FOR GOD'S PERSONAL PLEASURE.

Rev 4:10 The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying,

Rev 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power:

-->for thou hast created all things,

and for thy pleasure they are and were created.<--

The Bible says ...to individual Christians,..THAT MAKE UP THE CHURCH.

SHOULD ASSEMBLE TOGETHER..

Heb_10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Heb 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)

Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

Heb 10:25 ---> Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. <---

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

but

God did not designate Roman Catholics as His Church..

He does speak of

Heb 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

Heb 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Heb 12:25 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven:
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#424407 Feb 24, 2013
marge wrote:
Salvation in 4 words
Salvation-needed....... Rom 3:23
Salvation-provided....... 1 Peter 2:24
Salvation-offered....... Eph 2:8
Salvation-accepted....... 1 John 5:12
If God says something saves but man claims it is unnecessary, does that man truly believe God?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#424408 Feb 24, 2013
preston wrote:
<quoted text>why dont you use the Bible to show us ONE person that received the Holy Ghost and Salvation by being just Baptised by WATER, according to your churchs intrepretation of what Acts 2:38 says.
Hank has b een on here for several years and has been asked that question many, many times and failed to show us ONE person.
Maybe you are smarter than he is and can provide that name for us?
NOT ONE CHRISTIAN(AND I DONT INCLUDE YOU AND HANK IN THAT GROUP)AGREES WITH YOUR INTREPRETATION OF WHAT YOUR CHURCH THINKS THAT PETER IS SAYING.
in fact, lets look at peter and his brother andrew(who we do know followed John the Baptist)they followed John and therefore they did have his Baptism, yet until some time later after Following Jesus, did they receive the Holy Ghost as He breathed on them and told them to "receive the Holy Ghost".
and no one can say that they were unsaved until jesus told them to Receive the Holy Ghost. I just dont believe that!
Hey Preston,

If God says something saves but man claims it is unnecessary, does that man truly believe God?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#424409 Feb 24, 2013
Salvation is a work of God, not of man.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#424410 Feb 24, 2013
guest wrote:
It is no surprise to me that you took my statement out of context. It's what Catholics *do*.
-
In order to keep my post intact, I'm taking your original quote of mine - in the same manner you quoted me, and I'm making a quick reply - and then I am re-entering my original post below so it is accurately quoted. When you leave out key words, meaning can be misconstrued.
-

<quoted text>
-
Why did you quote me out of context? And more importantly, why do the leaders of the Catholic Church think they can continually do this sort of thing and never be questioned?
-
I know the answer, so it's a rhetorical question: They are used to getting their way because they claim apostolic succession allows their sole and exclusive interpretation of Holy Scripture.
-
-
<quoted text>
-
JUSTICE SAID:
“The
CHURCH
CHOSE
the
CANON
of
scripture,
which books were inspired at the end of the 4th Century.”
-
Which is what I said. The CHURCH added scripture!
-
The
HEBREW CANON …...
…......... WAS CLOSED! For approximately 800 years before the Roman Catholic Church set about deciding on its own what books should be included.
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
THE IMPORTANT POINT to make here - is the Jewish canon was closed almost 800 years before the RCC added those 7 books.
-
The Jewish canon is *still *- TO THIS DAY –*closed* for additional writings; the books which were included at the time of closure HAVE NOT CHANGED in 2,400 YEARS.
-
IOW – The Jewish people did not add those 7 books at any time to their Hebrew scriptures and no-one else has the right to re-write the Jewish Bible.
-
So. Only those books now in the LONGSTANDING and SURVIVING JEWISH CANON have any credible, solid claim for canonicity.
The Jews can have whatever books in their Bible they choose. In fact, so could you if you want (didnt Thomas Jefferson do it?)

In Christianity, the inspired books were determined by the Holy Catholic Church holding council with the Bishop of Rome presiding in the 4th century.
How they determined this canon was based on the Hebrew books the Apostles and their Disciples used in the first century. Im sorry Guest, but they did not consider what the official Jewish canon contained - because that didn't happen until 70 yrs after Pentecost anyway and they were compiled by Jews who rejected Jesus Christ. They were not Christians. Their declaration could not have unsurped the Apostles.
(remember Jesus Christ gave the Apostles real authority from above. He gave Peter the keys. What these men taught can not be undone. They passed on the authority to their successors because they could - they had the authority to do so! And it was the will of the Lord to continue His Church to present day)

Martin Luther had no such authority to remove any books or add words ('Alone' to Romans 3:28) Your religion is the product of this wicked man and his false teachings.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#424411 Feb 24, 2013
Notice the little word "IN".....

"He who began a good work <<<IN>>> you."

What the Apostle Paul is talking about here is what the Bible elsewhere calls 'being born from above' or 'being born again.'

God has done a WORK that is so radical/changing, it can only be described as 'being born again.'

being raised from the dead.....

being transformed into a new creation.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#424412 Feb 24, 2013
Ephesians 2:4-5

4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy,

5 <<<<<made us alive with Christ>>>>> even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.

made us alive with Christ....HOW IS THIS DONE???

even when we were DEAD in TRANSGRESSIONS...SIN (SPIRITUALLY DEAD)

2 Corinthians 5:17

17 Therefore, <<<<<if anyone is in Christ,>>>>> the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!

if anyone is in Christ.....HOW DO WE BECOME IN CHRIST???

the new creation has come......

the old has gone.....

the NEW is here.......
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#424413 Feb 24, 2013
It is a powerful work of God in the very center of our being/soul.

Location hidden

#424414 Feb 24, 2013
"He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned" (Mark 16:16).

This requires not any spirituality to understand....

There is no salvation in merely believing and being dunked....it is not a "done deal". Mr 16:16 says so.....look at the words "will be saved"....

"Will be" is in the future sense...it hasn't happened yet!!!!!
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#424415 Feb 24, 2013
preston wrote:
<quoted text>why dont you use the Bible to show us ONE person that received the Holy Ghost and Salvation by being just Baptised by WATER, according to your churchs intrepretation of what Acts 2:38 says.
Hank has b een on here for several years and has been asked that question many, many times and failed to show us ONE person.
NOT ONE CHRISTIAN(AND I DONT INCLUDE YOU AND HANK IN THAT GROUP)AGREES WITH YOUR INTREPRETATION OF WHAT YOUR CHURCH THINKS THAT PETER IS SAYING.
in fact, lets look at peter and his brother andrew(who we do know followed John the Baptist)they followed John and therefore they did have his Baptism, yet until some time later after Following Jesus, did they receive the Holy Ghost as He breathed on them and told them to "receive the Holy Ghost".
and no one can say that they were unsaved until jesus told them to Receive the Holy Ghost. I just dont believe that!
Who from the NT received salvation without baptism?

Location hidden

#424416 Feb 24, 2013
preston wrote:
You got my interest..

Quote: and no one can say that they were unsaved until jesus told them to Receive the Holy Ghost. I just dont believe that!

Are you saying because they were baptized by John, they were saved, and when they received the Holy Ghost, they were saved again???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 5 hr Mr SIr 8,506
Pope Francis leaves the beatification ceremony ... 6 hr Miss New Thing 3
Selfies with Pope Francis cardboard cutouts pop... Sat ELIAS IBARRA 6
Catholic bishops take first step toward accepta... Oct 16 Mychihuahuawillbite 2
Pope Francis shows strong, unique leadership fo... Oct 15 Gremlin 2
Gradualism and Holiness Oct 15 RevKen 1
The Pope's Criticism Of Capitalism Has One Weal... (Jan '14) Oct 10 QUITTNER Oct 10 2014 8

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE