Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 560,157
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#423934 Feb 21, 2013
The Bible is a Truthful Book

"Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and Thy law is the truth...Thou art near, O LORD; and all Thy commandments are truth...Thy Word is true from the beginning ... " Psalm 119:142, 151, 160.

In the Gospel of John, Pilate asked Jesus, "What is truth?" (John 18:38). Jesus had already answered that question in John 17:17 when, speaking to the Father, He said, "Thy Word is truth." In a world that has lost its appreciation for truth, you can say without apology that the Bible is truth.

Today there are many attacks on the truth of the Bible. There's the frontal attack of liberals who deny it is true. There's the attack from the rear by those who want to substitute their own experience over the Word of God, saying, "Well, I know what I feel or think." Sometimes they'll even argue, "I don't care what the Bible says. Let me tell you what I experienced." And there's an attack from the flank by people who don't necessarily deny the Bible but want to replace it or prop it up with psychology, philosophy, or other things - as if the Bible itself were not good enough.

But if you're looking for truth, you can find it in the Bible. Why? 2 Timothy 3:16 says, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God." That word inspiration is used only once in the Bible - here in this verse. What a magnificent word it is. In Greek it literally means "God-breathed." Jesus said in Matthew 4:4, "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

Every word comes from God. He did not simply breathe upon the writings of men such as Isaiah, Jeremiah, Matthew, Mark, and Paul, making their words His own. They held the pen of God. They were His instruments as He spoke, breathing the Scriptures out. Therefore, the Bible is true, because the God of truth cannot speak error.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#423935 Feb 21, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Dan can I ask you what the longest Psalm in the Bible is, Do you know.
Not off of the top of my head, no.

Why do you ask?
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#423936 Feb 21, 2013
We must know the Word to have spiritual power. Yet for many the Bible remains a closed, mysterious book. They just don't understand it. There is no cheap, lazy, or magical way to understand the Bible, but it's not impossible. In fact, it's joyful and thrilling.
From Biblestudytools.com
Dan

Omaha, NE

#423937 Feb 21, 2013
LTM wrote:
Psalm 119, the longest psalm in the Bible, is entirely focused on the Word of God. For your Bible to truly come alive, you must appreciate the qualities that set it apart from all other books.
The Bible is a Timeless Book
The Bible is not the book of the month or the book of the year. It is the book of the ages, unchanging and timeless.
"For ever, O LORD, Thy Word is settled in heaven." Psalm 119:89
"Concerning Thy testimonies, I have known of old that Thou hast founded them forever." Psalm 119:152
"Thy Word is true from the beginning: and every one of Thy righteous judgments endureth for ever." Psalm 119:160
In the New Testament, 1 Peter 1:25 states, "But the Word of the Lord endureth for ever ..."
Forever! God says the Word - the Bible you hold in your hand or have on your shelf - is done, settled in heaven. So, if it's on the shelf, dust if off and get it into your heart.
Why? Other books may come and go. The Bible is here to stay. Thousands of years have passed since the Bible was written. Empires have risen and fallen. Civilizations have changed and changed again. Science has pushed back the frontiers of knowledge. Yet the Bible stands: timeless, ultimate, indestructible.
Emperors like Diocletian have decreed its extermination, atheists like Voltaire have railed against it, agnostics through the years have cynically sneered at it, and liberals strive to remove the miracles from the Bible. Materialists have simply ignored it. How is it that the Bible still stands after centuries of attempts to destroy it? Because the Bible is eternal, settled in heaven.
I guess I didn't have to wait for the response.

Yes, the Bible has endured, preserved by the Church and it has resisted protestant waterboarding of it and their attempts to remove the miracles from it (i.e. His Body and Blood in the Eucharist).
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#423938 Feb 21, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not off of the top of my head, no.
Why do you ask?
It is Psalm 119; I hope you will take the time to read it Dan, It is truly beautiful and inspiring.

Most christians I know have memeorized their favorite parts of it.
I really believe you would enjoy it.
7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

#423939 Feb 21, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catechism is obviously not equated with the Bible in that sense. But it highlights the Bible and flows in harmony with it. It doesn't contradict it.
So in that sense, they would go together just like you think your preachers sermon goes with the Bible reading of the day.
Kind of like Mathew Henry and Ellen White you reckon....lol........some would go as far to say Truth mixed with Lies.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#423940 Feb 21, 2013
SHORT VERSION
I was destroying my life,friends, and family! I reached the end of my rope! I was so tired of suffering which I brought on myself. I was in tromendious pain. I couldn't sleep, eat, and I had just lost several friends, young friends under 30 yrs. old! I went to my Mom for comfort and finally decided to hear her out! I told her either I left home or I would die! I knew death was a reality even more so with the way I was living. I was broken, hollow, and ready to give up! I allowed my mother to pray over me. I had exhausted all other answers and this was a desperate plea for help! I remember feeling better as she prayed it was very odd but comforting. I also remember getting on a plane to florida and crying my eyes out! I was so tired ans lost. An elderly couple saw the hurt and pain in my eyes and asked if I knew Jesus as my lord and savior. They said nothing of negative influence. They showed compassion, love, and I saw they had peace as did others before them! I had nothing to lose at that point. I didn't know why they were so confident or peaceful but I wanted what they had. I then arrived in florida and stayed with my Uncle where he continued to influence me toward Jesus and ultimately my salvation! I decided I would give inn instead of giving up! I sought God with every ounce of my being! I prayed day and night. Fasted and continued to search! Well, One day I decided to end my suffering and prayed that God would send me help. AT THAT moment a man rang the doorbell and asked again if I accepted Jesus as lord and savior. I for the first time invited him inn! I was tired of fighting, being angry, and dispite everything I'd believed in the past, I decided to give God a chance. Threw this ordeal there were numerious occations God revealed himself. It came threw others several different denominations of Gods people whether they knew it or not is beyond me. Finally, I was at church and something happened! I went up for prayer and I remember saying if this is not of you Lord I will not fake anything! I will not fall, laugh, or do anything unless you cause it! Well, I closed my eyes. I was very receptive and as this pastor prayed for me never touching me I seriously saw flashes of light while my eyes were closed. I couldn't believe it and in an instant I felt different. There was no longer any doubt I knew God was real and I had experienced something I thought impossible! I stepped out in faith, I later discovered, and God was there for whatever reason! I felt so Good, peaceful, but at the same time Sad disappointed in myself. I was so ashamed of myself for not believing in God and for all the things I had said in the past! I would say GOD isn't real, I don't believe in him bc I can't see him and lots of other nasty things. I now had gone from not believing in him to knowing he was there. I became a different person selfless, loving, dependent on God, helpful to others, as I wanted to share what I'd experienced with others. I knew I couldn't do anything it was up to God but I could plant the seeds of faith and believe God would water those seeds in due time! This is what happened to me and I knew God would do the same for others. I learned that to be like God I had to be loving most importantly. To my neighbors, friends, and even to those I disliked. I sought forgiveness from others but I was having a hard time forgiving myself as I do now! I can forgive others easily but as for myself not so easy! Anyway, I had become a knower not believer! I know God exsists and he loves us even if we don't know it! ANY QUESTIONS I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER! I CAN'T WRITE EVERYTHING BUT I KNOW GOD IS REAL HE LOVES US AND HIS SON DIED FOR US THAT WE MIGHT NOT PERISH BUT HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE! LOVE IS THE KEY!!!!!!
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Sokay...it happens....share with us your Spiritual awakening...your salvation...I am sure it will be a blessing.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#423941 Feb 21, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I didn't have to wait for the response.
Yes, the Bible has endured, preserved by the Church and it has resisted protestant waterboarding of it and their attempts to remove the miracles from it (i.e. His Body and Blood in the Eucharist).
Dan, The fact that you as a catholic, who claims rights to the Bible , and didn't know that Psalm 119 was the longest one in the Bible tells me how much of this God -Breathed Holy Scriptures your church has shared with you.
I was trying to share a beautiful experience with you, from the word of God.(AS ONE LOVER OF GOD TO ANOTHER) I really thought you would be interested.
I was not changing it or giving my interpretaion of it.
Have a great day.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#423942 Feb 21, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catechism is obviously not equated with the Bible in that sense. But it highlights the Bible and flows in harmony with it. It doesn't contradict it.
So in that sense, they would go together just like you think your preachers sermon goes with the Bible reading of the day.
Not by a long shot Clay, it doesn't even come close.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#423943 Feb 21, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>your right they said it,the scriptures"DOES NOT",the bible is all gods words meant for "MAN" anything outside of that means nothing,the traditions created by constantines 100 unholy ordinary scholars do not mean nothing since they are not supported by scripture,and most likely if these men lived in rome they are pagans not christians,christ said he was going to build a church,but says nothing about it being the C.C.,so it is not true,it's an assumption,just like the other churches no one can make the claim without authenic undenialible scripture support,you have nothing but hearsay,so it's meaningless.like i said no written undenable scripture in which states i will build "MY CATHOLIC,BAPTIST,PROTESTANT ETC.CHURCH" YOU CAN NOT CLAIM TO BE HIS CHURCH,PLAIN AND SIMPLE...we don't even know if the one god theory is true never mind his church,you have to establish that first,then talk about any church.you talk about havingundeniable facts and i'm still waiting to see it.
All the best for better health Jethro!

If we can't trust our politicians and church leaders today to tell us the truth, how can anyone trust with certainty what was written 2,000 years ago that was driven by agenada by a few powerful people in the church who could have fooled everyone of that era.

Remember Jethro outside the bible writings, no one from the entire mediteranean recorded anything, or handed down any stories about a miracle worker Jesus and most of the characters from his story.

....something is wrong, when only one small select group of people claim God himself inspired them, and no one else heard or saw anything for 33 years that resembled the man these story tellers describe.

......something is wrong!
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#423944 Feb 21, 2013
ironman77 wrote:
SHORT VERSION
I was destroying my life,friends, and family! I reached the end of my rope! I was so tired of suffering which I brought on myself. I was in tromendious pain. I couldn't sleep, eat, and I had just lost several friends, young friends under 30 yrs. old! I went to my Mom for comfort and finally decided to hear her out! I told her either I left home or I would die! I knew death was a reality even more so with the way I was living. I was broken, hollow, and ready to give up! I allowed my mother to pray over me. I had exhausted all other answers and this was a desperate plea for help! I remember feeling better as she prayed it was very odd but comforting. I also remember getting on a plane to florida and crying my eyes out! I was so tired ans lost. An elderly couple saw the hurt and pain in my eyes and asked if I knew Jesus as my lord and savior. They said nothing of negative influence. They showed compassion, love, and I saw they had peace as did others before them! I had nothing to lose at that point. I didn't know why they were so confident or peaceful but I wanted what they had. I then arrived in florida and stayed with my Uncle where he continued to influence me toward Jesus and ultimately my salvation! I decided I would give inn instead of giving up! I sought God with every ounce of my being! I prayed day and night. Fasted and continued to search! Well, One day I decided to end my suffering and prayed that God would send me help. AT THAT moment a man rang the doorbell and asked again if I accepted Jesus as lord and savior. I for the first time invited him inn! I was tired of fighting, being angry, and dispite everything I'd believed in the past, I decided to give God a chance. Threw this ordeal there were numerious occations God revealed himself. It came threw others several different denominations of Gods people whether they knew it or not is beyond me. Finally, I was at church and something happened! I went up for prayer and I remember saying if this is not of you Lord I will not fake anything! I will not fall, laugh, or do anything unless you cause it! Well, I closed my eyes. I was very receptive and as this pastor prayed for me never touching me I seriously saw flashes of light while my eyes were closed. I couldn't believe it and in an instant I felt different. There was no longer any doubt I knew God was real and I had experienced something I thought impossible! I stepped out in faith, I later discovered, and God was there for whatever reason! I felt so Good, peaceful, but at the same time Sad disappointed in myself. I was so ashamed of myself for not believing in God and for all the things I had said in the past! I would say GOD isn't real, I don't believe in him bc I can't see him and lots of other nasty things. I now had gone from not believing in him to knowing he was there. I became a different person selfless, loving, dependent on God, helpful to others, as I wanted to share what I'd experienced with others. I knew I couldn't do anything it was up to God but I could plant the seeds of faith and believe God would water those seeds in due time! This is what happened to me and I knew God would do the same for others. I learned that to be like God I had to be loving most importantly. To my neighbors, friends, and even to those I disliked. I sought forgiveness from others but I was having a hard time forgiving myself as I do now! I can forgive others easily but as for myself not so easy! Anyway, I had become a knower not believer! I know God exsists and he loves us even if we don't know it! ANY QUESTIONS I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER! I CAN'T WRITE EVERYTHING BUT I KNOW GOD IS REAL HE LOVES US AND HIS SON DIED FOR US THAT WE MIGHT NOT PERISH BUT HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE! LOVE IS THE KEY!!!!!!
<quoted text>
Hi Ironman, I was very touch by your testemony. In fact it bought tears to my eyes.

cont
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#423945 Feb 21, 2013
Ironm
Cont
Welcome home, the Holy Spirit was leading you all the way. You were on Gods heart, long before He was on yours.
Nothing you have done in the past matters now because you are a new person in Christ Jesus.

God Bless, May He strengthen you in your personal walk with Him. He will never leave you alone.
Love in Christ.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#423946 Feb 21, 2013
A Salvation Bought With Blood, Sweat, and Tears

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Have you ever had one of those moments when one little bit of Scripture leaps from the pages and punches you in the mouth (in a good, wonderful way)? It happened to me this morning. I was reading the account of Jesusí temptation in the wilderness, which Iíve read, like, infinity times (hat tip to Napoleon Dynamite). And Iíve made all the ďrightĒ applications of the passage to my life. Jesus was suceeding in overcoming temptation where Israel had failed. Jesus was overcoming and conquering Satan, living a sinless life in my place. Jesus was fighting against Satan with the word of God, which provides a model for us. And on and on.

But then this little sentence jumped out:

Then the devil left him, and behold, angels came and were ministering to him.(Matthew 4:11)

The angels were ministering to Jesus. Thatís interesting, I thought. Why did Jesus need the angels to minister to him?

Because, you idiot, he just endured the full, intense, exhausting, carefully calculated, carefully planned, forcefully executed onslaught of Satan himself! He went head to head in an all-out battle against King of Darkness! He hadnít eaten for forty days, and was probably physically, emotionally, and spiritually exhausted. After Jesus won the battle against Satan, the angels ministered to him, strengthening him, comforting him, lifting him.

Sometimes I think of Jesus as walking through life without ever really struggling. I mean, come on, he was the Son of God. Surely that made things easier for him, right?

Wrong! What scripture makes clear is that Jesus experienced the utter fullness of our humanity, and was tempted in every deep, full, multi-faceted sense of the word. Just because Jesus didnít have a sinful nature doesnít mean that it was easy to resist sin. Remember, Adam and Eve didnít have a sinful nature either.

Jesus endured the constant, relentless onslaught of Satanís choicest temptations. Jesus wrestled with Satan himself, not a middle level management demon. I donít think Satan himself needs to bother with me. He can simply send one of his demons to tempt me. But not so with with Jesus. The Prince of Darkness harnessed all his powers of temptation and deceit in an effort to derail our Savior. In Hebrews 5:7 it says:

In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence.

Jesus fought for our salvation with loud cries and tears. Cries of desperation, discouragement, exhaustion, and numbness. Tears of grief, betrayal, and heartache. He was sinless, but he was also a Man of Sorrows, intimately acquainted with grief, betrayed by friends, assaulted by enemies, sweating drops of blood in Gethsemane.

For thirty-three years Jesus was pressed, stretched, and assaulted on every side. The relief didnít come until he uttered the words,ďIt is finished.Ē Why did Jesus endure this? To win our salvation! To do what Adam, and Noah, and Israel, and David, and Solomon, and me, and you all failed to do. Jesus spent all of his might, strength, and emotion to conquer sin and Satan, and to make our forgiveness possible.

Iím so grateful for Jesus, the King of Kings who desperately needed the angels to minister to him. Iím grateful that we have a Savior who was tempted in every way, and who now ministers himself on our behalf. Thatís the kind of Savior that I need.

Biblestudytools.com
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423947 Feb 21, 2013
ironman77 wrote:

<quoted text>
Thanks for your testimony. A lot of people on here have been through some tough times I think.
7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

#423948 Feb 21, 2013
Dark secrets of the Catholic Church; Ex nun Confesses

RCC Priest told Nuns they are the Holy Ghost so it is not a sin for them to bare their children ?

WOW Blasphemy for sure.
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423949 Feb 21, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
RE: the Real Presence, his/her comments were also true. Belief varies as to details and use of "transubstantiation" to describe it, but a belief in the Real Presence is indeed a feature of Anglican Community theology
Thanks.

"They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they confess not the Eucharist to be the flesh of our Saviour Jesus Christ, which suffered for our sins, and which the Father, of His goodness, raised up again." Ignatius of Antioch, Epistle to Smyrnaeans, 7,1 (c. A.D. 110).

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#423950 Feb 21, 2013
alessandro alfieri wrote:
Fundie-mental-ists not only wear the mark of the beast, they ARE the mark of the beast!
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy -...

New Age wrote:
Citation please.

Please show me a representation of this "mark" you speak of. You seem to know exactly what it looks like, where it is located on a person, and other key facts.

Please present them thoroughly....or....

Shut the frak up and take your hatred elsewhere.
alessandro alfieri wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't let the truth disturb you, oh, little Christian wannabe.
Remember the Fundie-mental-ist creed -- "it's all good"!
Now bow down and worship your bible like a good little Fundie idolator.
Hojo?

:o)

Just kidding, but you shure have the same mentality as he.

Why don't you go back and re-read what I wrote and answer with something that is related, because your above post has nothing to do with what I initially posted.

Except you did divert from answering with a citation - very well....most "little half-Christian wannabes"....do, because they haven't a viable answer to retort with.

Why don't you believe Jesus?

Albuquerque, NM

#423951 Feb 21, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
You can always tell an "anti-catholic" but you can't tell him much!!! HOW TRUE, HOW TRUE! Dialogue, discussion and debate are a "total waste of time" with you or any heretical non-catholic who has "grounded his "so-called Christian faith" in the rejection of over 2000 years of the historical and biblical AUTHENTICATED TRUTH of Jesus 'Christ and His One True Catholic Church! Just "make it up" as you go along New Age! It is called "relative truth" in its "finest hour"! We'll just wait for "hour number two" in order to get the next "dose of bible contradiction, confusion and chaos!!!! You, my friend can have it!! IT IS ALL YOURS!!!
Funny thing is....you continue to say I reject the Bible, but haven't given any proof to such nonsense.

All I've stated is the Bible is incomplete, and while you think it is complete, it isn't.

It is only complete, because men have stated such.

Why do you oppose "God's" inspiration of other people?
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423952 Feb 21, 2013
7th Day Catholic Rocks wrote:
Dark secrets of the Catholic Church; Ex nun Confesses
Why all this hate? Doesnt YOUR denom have any "dark secrets"? Is your church composed solely of saints.

In reality your church, the catholic church, my church, they all contain a whole mixture of people. Also the clergy too, some good some bad.

But instead of praying for unity, and acting with charity you want to tear down the CC, the church Jesus founded. Why is that!!!! rant over

Albuquerque, NM

#423953 Feb 21, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
good morning people,been gone awhile here,i'm sure i was missed,been in the hospital again!,was seconds away from total renal fairlure,became dillusional,lost time, have no memory from 2:30 a.m.sunday till wesdnday morning when i woke up,my now ex-g/f recorded what happened,it scared the hell out of her so bad that she broke up with me and took out a restraining order against me,which i can and can not understand why, i would never lay a hand on her for no reason in the world,she is the best thing in the world that ever happened to me,her problem is that she is an HIGHLY! overly sensitive girl,now i feel totally lost,my world is gone,have no idea how i'm gonna go on,plus i lost my dog too,my wonderful little angel,capable of following 32 commands now and climbing,and i'll never see her again (sniffle,sniffle,sniffle),oh well.i'm lucky i didn't sell my house like i wanted too.now that i vented,sorry but i needed that. NOW! back to the debate.
Sorry to hear your bad times Jethro - I hope they get better for you.

"Restraining order"
- doesn't sound like a relationship that can be amended. Bummer, you talked very highly of her. It is kind of sad that some people have troubles dealing with personal issues, that are not theirs or have the ability to give support to those in need of the extra help.

You see to be a strong gent. I have faith in that you can make the right decisions going forward and if anything, learn from all of this to make yourlife even better than before.

BTW - I've taken you off of the "prayer list" and handed that request directly to Jesus in order to help you....*winks*.....

Why go throught he middle fundamentalists and Catholics. You can deal directly with Jesus.

:o)

Cheers and best regards and peace to you and your family,
NA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 23 hr Jesus saves 8,717
Pope challenges Muslims to condemn violence Tue Jeff Brightone 1
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Tue USA Born 83,901
Pope's role in Cuba deal fractures Cuban-Americ... Tue woodtick57 4
Cuba Deal Is Major Victory for Pope's Diplomati... Dec 22 John 4
Vatican signals new tone on US nuns Dec 21 Raymond F Rice 2
Pope plays key role in Cuba-US policy shift Dec 21 Doc Proper 12
More from around the web