Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 574,302
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

United States

#423879 Feb 21, 2013
guest wrote:
-
Tiger Lily:*The Bible or the Catechism? You chose.*
-
Great line, Tiger Lily!
-
I think we need a list of where the word of the Roman Catholic Church contradicts the Word of God.
-
-
Clay wrote:
You should provide a verse that says the "word of God' can only be documented in writings.
-
you'd like that wouldn't you?
-
there are verses.
-
what makes you think the Pope can *add* to Biblical writings?
truth

Australia

#423880 Feb 21, 2013
they change scripture

evil is long time ago in matrix

who is heaven nevaehheaven
byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
truth

Australia

#423881 Feb 21, 2013
sto sve niste radili meni i mojoj djeci..sramota

United States

#423882 Feb 21, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Is a Pope infallible if he protects pedophiles?
Come on Guest. If that allegation were true, then the Pope would likely be in Hell or headed there.
"is the Pope who sanctioned the the torture of heretics infallible"?
Which Pope? I don't know of any one that was directly responsible.
However, we know the Church had many sinners in their leadership in midevel times. As Father Ubel- rector of the Cathedral of Saint Paul, MN said- "the Church were committing acts that would make us shutter".
YET, some of the greater saints in the history of the Catholic Church lived during this period (like Saint Francis of Asassi )
No matter how corrupt the leadership was, they could not alter Catholicism because its guided by Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit will always have Saints in place to remind any corrupt Catholic leadership of truth. Recently, Mother Teresa and Pope John Paul II would fit that description. Yes JP II was top the hierarchy, but Priests and Bishops around him were corrupt.
Again, nobody could prevail against the Catholic faith- not even from within.
-
"is the Pope who sanctioned the the torture of heretics infallible"?
-
Which Pope? I don't know of any one that was directly responsible.
-
He issued a papal bull, Clay:
-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Inquisi...
Torture

Torture could be used after 1252. On May 15, Pope Innocent IV issued a papal bull entitled Ad exstirpanda, which authorized the use of TORTURE by inquisitors. Torture was undoubtedly used in the trial of the Templars, but is in fact not much found in heresy trials until the later fourteenth century. Torture methods that resulted in bloodshed, births, mutilation or death were forbidden. Also, torture could be performed only once. However, it was common practice to consider a second torture session to be a "continuation" of the first. The most commonly employed methods of torture methods included hanging by the wrists, with weights suspended from the ankles (a form of torture known as strappado); the rack; foot roasting; and the water torture.
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423883 Feb 21, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
The protestants had a counter inquisition torturing catholics, and were also very active in burning witches and heretics. Do you condemn these practices equally?

United States

#423884 Feb 21, 2013
guest wrote:
-
Tiger Lily:*The Bible or the Catechism? You chose.*
-
Great line, Tiger Lily!
-
I think we need a list of where the word of the Roman Catholic Church contradicts the Word of God.
-
-
Clay wrote:
I choose the Bible and the Catechism . Lol
They can't be separated. Its the same thing. Neither adds to nor contradicts each other. It simply can't. Truth is truth.
The Bible flowed from the sacred tradition of the Church in perfect harmony. When you remove one (such as you Bible only people did) you have chaos. Hence the 40,000 different opinions on sacred scripture. Why? Because you removed the Church that brought forth the books.
-
Bible and the Catechism are diametrically opposed! you can't separate them any further from each other!
-
"Neither adds or contradicts the other?"
-
Catholic church does nothing BUT add to the Word of God.
there is a LIST ... a very LONG LIST of what the church has added
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423885 Feb 21, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible says the church is the pillar and foundation of the truth. St Paul also says that the teaching is spread by letter and word of mouth. You pick one, written word, and ignore the other church traditions. Sola scriptura is not taught in the Bible but was invented by those in rebellion of catholic teaching, protestant reformers in the 16th century.
truth

Australia

#423886 Feb 21, 2013
today in peace its not better..you can't be hungry or thirsty..but you don't have another rights at all..go in hospital see what scribe and other evils do..very nice peacefully what they wrote what ever they want on evil satanic way as accusers..see better your diploma without any respect any more from me.

judges lawyers doctors and so on..very sad..
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423889 Feb 21, 2013
Following on from a post yesterday, just to clarify what the Anglican church teaches, for anyone who is intetested in these things. It teaches that all matters for salvation are found in the Bible. It is led by the Queen as its head, and does not accept the authority of the Pope. However there a some similarities with the CC, from its history. The communion service is, to my mind, similar to Mass in appearance. There is the belief in the real presence, we recite the Nicene creed, we say in every service that we believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church. In summary it is catholic in appearance but (largely) protestant in doctrine.
truth

Australia

#423890 Feb 21, 2013
you claim me
did you
no grammar
its will be without any limits

justice
hm
i don't have justice or any rights on that
i see many things what is without any justice..i can be very angry
very argumentative
i can suffer many things too
by
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423891 Feb 21, 2013
truth wrote:
i see many things what is without any justice..
Me too. There are no easy answers. I think sometimes were are being put to the test. Peace
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423892 Feb 21, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ said it was His Body and Blood and repeated that teaching several times. It's explicit, and you reject it. Curiously, you withhold instrumental music at your services based on what isn't mentioned in scripture by Christ, yet take great pains to reject that which IS explicitly taught by Him. Very confusing.
Well put. And highlights the problem that fundamentalists are Bible literalists except when it comes to the teaching of Jesus.
Dutch Truth

Crna Gora, Montenegro

#423893 Feb 21, 2013
Justice wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too. There are no easy answers. I think sometimes were are being put to the test. Peace
Right is Might
Right lie on force.
Justice is Force.
truth

Australia

#423894 Feb 21, 2013
its ok
nothing wrong with building of justice..
but with people who abuse power of justice.
thanks for nothing..
Clay

United States

#423895 Feb 21, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
you'd like that wouldn't you?
-
there are verses.
-
No Pope has added to sacred scripture. They do not have the authority to do so. No one has.

The Catechism basically highlights sacred scripture. Its not opposite of the Bible.

Ironically, almost every minister I've heard, has added to sacred scripture. The obvious addition would be Sola Scripture. Some have added sola fide too. The first one doesn't appear at all in the Bible. The second one COULD appear, but only if you isolate certain verses and use them to cancel out other verses.
And lets not get into the Book of Revelation, you guys add your personal ideology to Johns visions and some have made entire religions out of it.
Clay

United States

#423896 Feb 21, 2013
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>If they are the same thing, then one is unnecessary.
Both Church and Bible are necessary.
The Church puts the Bible into motion. The Mass; the Sacraments; the Eucharist are all bringing to life the sacred writings of the Apostles and the teachings of the OT prophets.

The NT didn't launch the Catholic Church.
It launched your particular church and 40,000 others, however.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#423897 Feb 21, 2013
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>If they are the same thing, then one is unnecessary.
Amen.
Clay

United States

#423898 Feb 21, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen.
How can you say 'Amen' to him with a straight face?
Both of you claim all that is necessary are the books of the Bible.
Yet, you both teach opposite of each other. Is this some kinda joke?

Since: Nov 08

usa

#423899 Feb 21, 2013
good morning people,been gone awhile here,i'm sure i was missed,been in the hospital again!,was seconds away from total renal fairlure,became dillusional,lost time, have no memory from 2:30 a.m.sunday till wesdnday morning when i woke up,my now ex-g/f recorded what happened,it scared the hell out of her so bad that she broke up with me and took out a restraining order against me,which i can and can not understand why, i would never lay a hand on her for no reason in the world,she is the best thing in the world that ever happened to me,her problem is that she is an HIGHLY! overly sensitive girl,now i feel totally lost,my world is gone,have no idea how i'm gonna go on,plus i lost my dog too,my wonderful little angel,capable of following 32 commands now and climbing,and i'll never see her again (sniffle,sniffle,sniffle),oh well.i'm lucky i didn't sell my house like i wanted too.now that i vented,sorry but i needed that. NOW! back to the debate.
truth

Australia

#423900 Feb 21, 2013
belivers as alive..nobody destroy that..noooooooooo

life before on earth as well going to be stop but sustain from some reason which others don't liked tell you..
mostly accusers try tell you way of them..
byyyyyyyyyyyyy

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Persecution No One Dares Name (Aug '13) 11 min Polaris 4
Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) 1 hr swedenforever 28
Pope's role in Cuba deal fractures Cuban-Americ... 2 hr swedenforever 11
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 3 hr Scales Off 8,913
Most Americans see combating climate change as ... Tue Ed_Reid 4
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Mon Jaimie 83,958
Was Obama right about the Crusades and Islamic ... Mar 1 Lawrence Wolf 2,021
More from around the web