Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 591283 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423716 Feb 20, 2013
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, David, but you do not judge scripture by the church, but you judge the church by scripture.
The church came before scripture. Paul persecuted the church before the NT was written. The letters of the NT were not collated into a book before the end of the 4th century.
David McIntyre

Sydney, Australia

#423717 Feb 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
708 696
<quoted text>
That is not true...you provided no Scripture that says
"Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen".
No matter how long you lie to yourself, it will not change that fact...
As well as this fact: Christ taught that we are to pray to the God the Father, in His name...there is no Scripture that teaches otherwise...
And this fact: There is no Scripture that supports praying to dead men the pope declared "Saint".....
Dear Friend

Those Scriptures certainly support asking ther prayers of the dead, furthermore the Early Church had the belief and still do, and so do Jews to this day.

Do believe in the Trinity? The term it not mentioned in Scripture, but we hold the belief. Many important beliefs are Scriptural, yet the precise term does not appear in Scriptue. Are you an intelligent man?

You need to get on board with the Early Church and off the Protestant founders band wagon.See where you self-righteous private interpetation leads you.

Long live the Pope, the Successor of St Peter The Rock Man
David McIntyre

Sydney, Australia

#423718 Feb 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong!!!!!
Lu 1:41-42 does not say: "Blessed art thou among women". There is no verse in the Bible that says that..
Luke 1:41-42 says: "When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the infant leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth, filled with the holy Spirit, cried out in a loud voice and said, "Most blessed are you among women..."
You don't even have the words right!!!! You say ""Blessed art thou among women". The words that are part of Luke 1:41-42 say: "Most blessed are you among women..."
The meaning is the same. You are really saying alot her about the level on which you think.
David McIntyre

Sydney, Australia

#423719 Feb 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
708 696
<quoted text>
That is not true...you provided no Scripture that says
"Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen".
No matter how long you lie to yourself, it will not change that fact...
As well as this fact: Christ taught that we are to pray to the God the Father, in His name...there is no Scripture that teaches otherwise...
And this fact: There is no Scripture that supports praying to dead men the pope declared "Saint".....
Dear Friend

Those Scriptures certainly support asking ther prayers of the dead, furthermore the Early Church had the belief and still do, and so do Jews to this day.

Do believe in the Trinity? The term it not mentioned in Scripture, but we hold the belief. Many important beliefs are Scriptural, yet the precise term does not appear in Scriptue. Are you an intelligent man?

You need to get on board with the Early Church and off the Protestant founders band wagon.See where you self-righteous private interpetation leads you.
4GVN

Jackson, MO

#423720 Feb 20, 2013
David McIntyre wrote:
<quoted text>
The Scriptures came from the Early Church and we ascertain it's true meaning of Scripture by looking at what the Early Church believed. We do not ascertain it's meaning my reading the Bible and concuding "God showed me what it means" as Protestants claim. Look at the Early Church evidence- they undestood the Scriptures as Cathoilics on every account!
Sorry again David, but that is just not true. And of course the first church was ot Roman Catholic. You really should study the sordid history of your church and then tell me how you can place your faith in it. It is God who is true and His word is trustworthy. Paul said,'Thy word O God is truth.' He never said 'thy church O God is truth.' It is in God alone that we should place our trust. Not in a group of followers.
4GVN

Jackson, MO

#423721 Feb 20, 2013
Justice wrote:
<quoted text>
The church came before scripture. Paul persecuted the church before the NT was written. The letters of the NT were not collated into a book before the end of the 4th century.
No, the fact is that scripture came some 4000 yrs before the RCC..
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423722 Feb 20, 2013
David McIntyre wrote:
<quoted text>
..Do believe in the Trinity? The term it not mentioned in Scripture, but we hold the belief...
They believe in the Catholic creeds, the Apostles creed and the Nicene creed. Credo means I believe in latin. Which begs the question, is it sensible to firmly believe one set of catholic beliefs, and criticise another set of catholic beliefs?
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423723 Feb 20, 2013
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>No, the fact is that scripture came some 4000 yrs before the RCC..
4000BC, wow, thats some faith you have there! I thought the old testament was written probably between 8th century and 1st century BC. The NT written in the 1st century AD.

The various books and letters were scattered across the Mediteranean countries and were compiled into one book by the CC towards the end of the 4th century AD. Also at this time the CC codified the beliefs of the church in the Nicene and Apostles creeds, put together a latin translation, the Vulgate, and compiled the church history and teachings of the early church.

Inescapable facts, whether you like it or not ;)
Clay

United States

#423724 Feb 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong!!!!!
Lu 1:41-42 does not say: "Blessed art thou among women". There is no verse in the Bible that says that..
Luke 1:41-42 says: "When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the infant leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth, filled with the holy Spirit, cried out in a loud voice and said, "Most blessed are you among women..."
You don't even have the words right!!!! You say ""Blessed art thou among women". The words that are part of Luke 1:41-42 say: "Most blessed are you among women..."
Ox, just shut it. You're ridiculous.
Your word play with Holy Scriptures is inexcusable.
You people will stop at nothing to denounce Catholicism. And if that means insulting the Mother of Our Lord then so be it. Right?
Clay

United States

#423725 Feb 20, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
I will testify that he(confrinting), is a servant of the One and Only God Almighty Creator of Heaven and Earth.
Others here also born-again from above will say the same thing as we are of the One Faith.
"others here also born again from above will say the same thing as we are of the One Faith"

Now THAT is the funniest thing you've ever posted. You must really think we're that stupid...
If we Catholics leave, you all tear each other to pieces.'One Faith' my behind.
Why don't you guys figure out the correct path to Heaven first. OSAS or faith + works?
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423726 Feb 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you guys figure out the correct path to Heaven first. OSAS or faith + works?
The evangelicals present do I think seem consistent, but consistently wrong. They believed they are saved, and that that salvation is assured irrespective of how they live their life. They also believe in sola scriptura, that all the answers are in the Bible (not too bad in itself), and that the Bible is best interpreted by an individual's private interpretation. The last one being an obvious recipe for disaster.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#423727 Feb 20, 2013
Justice wrote:
<quoted text>
The evangelicals present do I think seem consistent, but consistently wrong. They believed they are saved, and that that salvation is assured irrespective of how they live their life. They also believe in sola scriptura, that all the answers are in the Bible (not too bad in itself), and that the Bible is best interpreted by an individual's private interpretation. The last one being an obvious recipe for disaster.
The Holy Scriptures are to be interpreted as to their ORIGINAL INTENT.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#423728 Feb 20, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
The Holy Scriptures are to be interpreted as to their ORIGINAL INTENT.
So which one of your 42,000+contradicting and inconsistent Protestant interpretations are the "absolute, unquestionable, final TRUTH!! There can be ONLY ONE TRUTH! No 42,000 "relative truths" (whatever each "bible only" Protestant beliefs--decides what is "truth" for them. Jesus Christ established the ONE AND ONLY TRUTH over 2000 years ago. Paul confirms it in I Timothy 3:15 when he calls the Church (not the bible) the poillar, pinnacle and foundation of the TRUTH....But, of course, you "bible only" (fundies) will believe "only" whatever bible verses will "fit into your anti-catholic, hostile and heretical 21st century "Church history book" of "personal opinion --half-truth Christianity. You have all become "experts" at rewriting TRUTH Church History and mis-interpreting the bible to your own "demise and destruction"!!
God is not, nor ever will be the author of your Protestant contradicting and conflicting--"confusion and chaos". The TRUTH has, is, and will continue to be authenticated in over 2000 years of Jesus Christ and His One True Apostolic Catholic Church (the bride of Christ)
Free Mind

Melbourne, FL

#423729 Feb 20, 2013
David McIntyre wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not changing the Scriptures. Have a look at the passage I provided. You anti Catholicism is effecting you.
However, the prayer address "Mary" because that's who the angel adressed.
Really, your assertions are quite embarrassing.
The Ave Maria is 100% Scriptural!
Fact: Mary came to the party late -- after Constantine.

Mary is hardly mentioned in the Gospels. Her death is never recorded.

Mary wasn't even mentioned once in the first Nicene Creed.

Mary came late, because having a female god figure to replace Isis and other female god figures at the time was important.

Today, the RCC uses Mary like a pimp uses his 'hoos.' They use her and abuse her by putting absurd words in her mouth, but the RCC teaches us nothing about what it was really like to be a young Jewish girl.

The RCC's story -- if even remotely true -- would have made Mary an outcast in her own Jewish community, which we are told in the Bible was NOT the case.

Someone made up some lies about Mary, well after the fact.
Free Mind

Melbourne, FL

#423730 Feb 20, 2013
Look at the crap the RCC puts in Mary's mouth....

Second Secret of Fatima - called by the last three Popes "the most important miracle" (lie) in RCC history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Secrets_of...

Background -- these words from Mary were supposedly uttered in 1917 during WW1. However, they were not reported by the Vatican until 1941, after WW2 had already begun.

Mary supposedly says...

"You have seen hell where the souls of poor sinners go. To save them, God wishes to establish in the world devotion to my Immaculate Heart. If what I say to you is done, many souls will be saved and there will be peace. The war is going to end: but if people do not cease offending God, a worse one will break out during the Pontificate of Pope Pius XI."

In short - more devotion to me or else World War 2."

How sweet.

How absurd.

How insulting to Mary.

Also -- how are souls saved according to Mary? Through her or through God?

Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423731 Feb 20, 2013
Interesting article
Cardinal Turkson (favorite to be next Pope) blames gay priests for abuse scandals
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22814...

Seems like the media already have it in for him, even before he is elected.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#423732 Feb 20, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
So which one of your 42,000+contradicting and inconsistent Protestant interpretations are the "absolute, unquestionable, final TRUTH!! There can be ONLY ONE TRUTH! No 42,000 "relative truths" (whatever each "bible only" Protestant beliefs--decides what is "truth" for them. Jesus Christ established the ONE AND ONLY TRUTH over 2000 years ago. Paul confirms it in I Timothy 3:15 when he calls the Church (not the bible) the poillar, pinnacle and foundation of the TRUTH....But, of course, you "bible only" (fundies) will believe "only" whatever bible verses will "fit into your anti-catholic, hostile and heretical 21st century "Church history book" of "personal opinion --half-truth Christianity. You have all become "experts" at rewriting TRUTH Church History and mis-interpreting the bible to your own "demise and destruction"!!
God is not, nor ever will be the author of your Protestant contradicting and conflicting--"confusion and chaos". The TRUTH has, is, and will continue to be authenticated in over 2000 years of Jesus Christ and His One True Apostolic Catholic Church (the bride of Christ)
Did Jesus DEFEAT the Devil by just using SCRIPTURES?????

Sure He did.....

And what were those THREE (3) DANGEROUS words that Jesus used????

"IT IS WRITTEN"

He did NOT use the words "I say"....he used "IT IS WRITTEN"

He chose the only safe and sure way to DEFEAT Satan: the HOLY SCRIPTURES!!!!!!!!!!
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423733 Feb 20, 2013
Free Mind wrote:
Look at the crap the RCC puts in Mary's mouth....
Second Secret of Fatima ..
Still remains a fact that these are private devotion. Mass is compulsory. Private devotions are secondary and assist people in thei prayer life and in achieving holiness.

I wonder if any of the critics regularly pray themselves. I dont. But Im not one of those criticising how other people choose to pray.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#423734 Feb 20, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
1 Timothy 4:13

13 ~~~~~Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.~~~~~~

Until Jesus comes....what are we (Christians) suppose to do. HOJO????

DEVOTE yourself to the PUBLIC READING of SCRIPTURE....to preaching and to teaching......

The Holy Scriptures were READ/TAUGHT in the churches every Lord's Day.....
Justice

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#423735 Feb 20, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
1 Timothy 4:13
13 ~~~~~Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.~~~~~~
Good point. But scriptures in this context meant the old testament letters, as when this was written, the NT books had not all be written and were not collected together for a further c.300 years.

Also note that St Paul also recommends preaching and teaching. In the early church this would have likely be the more common method as so few people could read and write, and written scriptures were so rare. This is why the great commission in its various forms in the gospels is a command to preach and teach, rather than to read or write.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 2 hr Scales Off 9,423
News As ideology fades in Cuba, spirituality and pop... 16 hr L I G E R 1
News Philippines cardinal worked for peace with Muslims (Apr '14) 16 hr KristoFMYsagun 14
News St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes (Apr '14) 18 hr pazuzu 68
News Francis expects short papacy Sun KristoFMYsagun 16
News Pope's visit will change Philippines, Cardinal ... (Sep '14) May 29 KristoFMYsagun 55
News Tantingco: The Kapampangan Cardinal (Mar '13) May 29 ELIAS IBARRA 6
More from around the web