Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
406,801 - 406,820 of 532,692 Comments Last updated 9 min ago

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture is authoritative as it's the infallible Word of God.
Infallible scripture tells us that Christ established His Church on Earth to teach His message until the end of time.
Citation from "God" please that shows what you say, is true and "infallible".

Yes - please post "God's pure word" and nothing that involves men or their decisions.

We'll see how honest you really are, huh?

Or......you'll run away and avoid the post altogether.....which is common amongst many so-called "Christians".

What are you afraid of?
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
So let me get this straight: you believe the folks at Corinth all gathered around when Pauls letter arrived; they announced "we got another one from Paul!" Then they promptly passed it around for each one to determine what the latest Christian teachings are?
Help me out here brother.
He was writing to the Church!
And they hand-copied the letters many times and passed them to even distant friends and relatives who were believers.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
A table of contents.
Rob
But the inspired Paul gave us an undeniable hint at when the book and teachings ended as he spoke to the Galatians!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Holy Scripture is inspired by God.
Scripture informs the teachings of the Church. The teachings of the Church inform sacred tradition, along with scripture. The Church is established in scripture to teach.
Scripture does not say that it alone encompasses all that informs the faith. Thus, to hold that belief is to contradict scripture, as you have to disavow the teaching authority of the Church (established in scripture) to hold a "bible alone" belief.
Understand?
In Rev 2, Christ addresses the seven (7) churches. Why did He not refer to any of them as "Church"....why did not He refer to any as the Roman Catholic Church???!!!!
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Ehhhh....
More probable reading is that "the woman clothed with the sun" is "the Church."
Yes, she "brings forth a son," but I would not read that as a literal birth, but the Church "proclaiming" ("giving birth to,"/"bringing forth") the Gospel, the "Word of God." (Which, since Jesus IS "the Word," fits nicely with the symbolism of giving birth, if you use the Blessed Mother as a symbolic placeholder. Then you get the place in the desert (The Flight into Egypt/The Captivity Under Pharoh.)
The richness of meaning in SS is truly breathtaking.
Rob
oops Dan, now who are you going to believe?

I wish you people would get your own beliefs from your own study and prayer, that's what you'll be judged by you know.

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I never would've said it was a denominational reference. I don't belong to a denomination as you yourself said, they are man-made.
Where does it say they were Catholic. The Christ's church hadn't been derailed into Catholicism yet.
Do you see his ego showing too?

Its absurd to think "catholic" means "Catholic".

But if you are so-called "Catholic", they are the only ones who do.

I they call themselves "humble"??

Far from it.

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
"But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse!" (Gal. 1:8)
Yet, Catholics tell me they can have Scripture, and the "teachings of the Church", and their sacred tradition as the foundation of their faith.
Do Paul's words sound like the teachings would ever change or be amended? Who is the "WE" he is speaking of when he says IF EVEN WE OR AN ANGEL FROM HEAVEN?
And these Catholics have the nerve to tell me that it is unscriptural for my teaching to be scripturally based alone. They claim I need the teachings of the Church and their sacred tradition to go along with scripture. Those things came along AFTER Paul spoke these words to the Christians in Galatia. These people on this thread are not even Paul or the Angel from Heaven. Why should anyone believe them and their Apostasy?
Isn't this a reasonable verse for me to believe that the Bible alone can give me all the instruction I will ever need to know about going to Heaven and how Christ's church should operate?
Christ's church is the true church.(Rom. 16:16b) not the Catholic church. Paul even says, "let them be under God's curse." (Gal. 1:8b)
Why do you think Paul was more enlightened than Jesus?

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You just answered your question if you examine it.
Paul is writing to the Church that is in communion with the Apostles. He is not addressing Martin Luther. He is not addressing John Calvin, Confrinting, Preston, Harold Camping, nor you and the other 42,000 groups today.
There were heretics in his day too. He doesn't write broad letters to the people so they can 'figure out their own Christianity'. He is writing the Catholic Churches in Gal, Romans, Corinthians...
Gal 1:8 "but even if we or an Angel in Heaven preach another gospel other then the one we have preached to you, let them be under Gods curse"
This letter is to the Church and the Bishops the Apostles ordained. It is NOT a personal letter to you.
"Catholic Churches" were designated as such until much later - many decades later, after Paul's letters were supposedly written.

Why do you try to mislead others?
Clay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Key word - LATER.
Doesn't take long for men to de-rail a church.
Now that is where you'd be lacking faith. That is where you'd be going against scripture. Christ promised to be with them til the end. He promised the gates of hell wouldn't prevail.

But you say it derailed within 30 yrs of Pauls letter to the Romans?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Ehhhh....
More probable reading is that "the woman clothed with the sun" is "the Church."
Yes, she "brings forth a son," but I would not read that as a literal birth, but the Church "proclaiming" ("giving birth to,"/"bringing forth") the Gospel, the "Word of God." (Which, since Jesus IS "the Word," fits nicely with the symbolism of giving birth, if you use the Blessed Mother as a symbolic placeholder. Then you get the place in the desert (The Flight into Egypt/The Captivity Under Pharoh.)
The richness of meaning in SS is truly breathtaking.
Rob
nost proable is this woman is Israel as the Bible shows in its harnony with the book of daniel.

the 12 stars are considered the 12 tribes of israel, the sun and the moon are Josephs mom and dad. that aint hard to figure out.

the catholics believe it is mary, the christian scientists founder mrs eddy thinks it is her, but john wrote from a jewish perspective and is clearly showing that it is Israel.

Then [Joseph] dreamed still another dream and told it to his brothers, and said,“Look, I have dreamed another dream. And this time, the sun, the moon, and the eleven stars bowed down to me.” So he told it to his father and his brothers; and his father rebuked him and said to him,“What is this dream that you have dreamed? Shall your mother and I and your brothers indeed come to bow down to the earth before you?”—Gen 37:9-11

Clearly, in this first use of the sun/moon/stars metaphor, Jacob understands that the sun/moon refer to Joseph’s forebears (i.e., mom and dad), and that the stars refer to his siblings (i.e., the future fathers of the twelve tribes of Israel). He probably doesn’t “get” that Joseph is also a type of Christ to whom the entire nation will one day bow. Nevertheless, this first use establishes for us a basis for understanding the “great sign”/the woman in Revelation 12. Remember: John was a Jew; he wrote from a Jewish perspective and understanding of the scriptures. He was aware of the portion of scripture describing Joseph’s dream—he was familiar with this particular celestial metaphor.

TO BAD THE CATHOLICS ARE TO BLINDED BY FALSE TEACHINGS THAT THEY CANT SEE THIS.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think Paul was more enlightened than Jesus?
Did the contradict each other? I'm not aware of it.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that is where you'd be lacking faith. That is where you'd be going against scripture. Christ promised to be with them til the end. He promised the gates of hell wouldn't prevail.
But you say it derailed within 30 yrs of Pauls letter to the Romans?
And it hasn't. His church exists!!

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
!
!!!
Mrph!
Heh.
Hehhehchuckckle.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
Thank you, New Age. You've given me a new topper, one that beats out "Yes you do [worship saints], They just didn't TELL you."
You win the RobDye prize for unconscious ignorance.
Congrats!
"unconscious ignorance"
- only exists in Catholicism. And since I left Catholicism, you are incorrect, yet again. But this is just another excuse from someone who believes in men and not Jesus.

But don't be in dismay, there is a consolation prize for you - you get to receive a "bad mark" in the "Book of Life" for judging me.

Lucky you!

Cheers!

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Did the contradict each other? I'm not aware of it.
Not exactly, as Paul also speaks of the Spirit in many facets, as Jesus did as well.

Unfortunately, the texts that Jesus speaks about the Spirit, are not included in your belief, thus you have placed Paul above Jesus in this regard.

Why?

Why would anyone only beleive in part of what Jesus taught and not find completeness in all of his teachings?

It's actually a question in which honesty is required to answer. But many, like you, refuse to be that honest.

*shrugs*
Clay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
And it hasn't. His church exists!!
Where were you guys for 1900 yrs? In hiding?

At which point, did everyone (except you guys) mess up the Ministry of Christ?
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Not exactly, as Paul also speaks of the Spirit in many facets, as Jesus did as well.
Unfortunately, the texts that Jesus speaks about the Spirit, are not included in your belief, thus you have placed Paul above Jesus in this regard.
Why?
Why would anyone only beleive in part of what Jesus taught and not find completeness in all of his teachings?
It's actually a question in which honesty is required to answer. But many, like you, refuse to be that honest.
*shrugs*
I don't understand what you just said therefore I don't have an answer.

How did Paul and Jesus contradict each other?
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a good book called Traces of the Kingdom that follows the church path to where it is today. I've attached links to it in earlier posts.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
I didn't say God created Satan as an evil creature.
-
GREED caused him to sin, lusting after the Most High Position in the Heavens. He wanted what was rightfully God's - that being: God's Sovereign Right to Rule over His Creation. When Satan realized he could not have it, he got prideful. Greed came first.
Satan was made perfect, evil came through pride the first sin was commited in Heaven.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
And there could be numerous churches of Christ all over the world that I don't know about. Anywhere a Bible can be found a church of Christ is liable to be found.

All are autonomous. There is no central office or divisional headquarters or anything like that - oh, except Heaven. I suppose you could say Heaven is Headquarters.
concerned in Eygpt

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
So let me get this straight: you believe the folks at Corinth all gathered around when Pauls letter arrived; they announced "we got another one from Paul!" Then they promptly passed it around for each one to determine what the latest Christian teachings are?
Help me out here brother.
He was writing to the Church!
I believe you are trying to be Sarcastic but the answer is Yes pretty much.

In Paul's day when a letter arrived it would go to the Scribes first and be copied right away 50-100 right of the bat and then sent off to other locals for other city community scribes to copy and send off.
It was and industry as there was not Printing presses etc. etc.

When they gathered which was many times per week in the early church it would be read out loud and it would be repeated many times as it would be memorized so to pass it on even further verbally quicker.

In Paul's and Jesus's day to have half of the OT memorized was not uncommon among the faithful. It was a discipline practiced by the early Church that came from there Ancient Heritages Greeks Jews alike all practiced this discipline.
You can Youtube Israels the ultra orthodox schools where they are bobbing their heads while reading out loud they are memorizing as they did in Paul's day, the practice has not died out even to this day.

That is right when the Sun went down no Ipods game boys or TV everybody of to someones house to hear the word read or recited that was the Entertainment of the day.

First time you got something right I should have never doubted.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Pope Benedict XVI Forum right now

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 24 min Ecko 8,134
More Thu True Christian witness 2
Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims ... Thu Abdurratln 2
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Thu ELIAS IBARRA 41
In Manila, Catholics pray for smooth succession (Mar '13) Jul 21 Anonymous 102
Serbian patriarch reportedly opposed to canoniz... Jul 21 Marko 3
Newlywed El Pasoan meets Pope Francis Jul 18 Imperial Chicano 6
•••
•••