Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#422126 Feb 12, 2013
Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
Ehhhh....
More probable reading is that "the woman clothed with the sun" is "the Church."
Yes, she "brings forth a son," but I would not read that as a literal birth, but the Church "proclaiming" ("giving birth to,"/"bringing forth") the Gospel, the "Word of God." (Which, since Jesus IS "the Word," fits nicely with the symbolism of giving birth, if you use the Blessed Mother as a symbolic placeholder. Then you get the place in the desert (The Flight into Egypt/The Captivity Under Pharoh.)
The richness of meaning in SS is truly breathtaking.
Rob
nost proable is this woman is Israel as the Bible shows in its harnony with the book of daniel.

the 12 stars are considered the 12 tribes of israel, the sun and the moon are Josephs mom and dad. that aint hard to figure out.

the catholics believe it is mary, the christian scientists founder mrs eddy thinks it is her, but john wrote from a jewish perspective and is clearly showing that it is Israel.

Then [Joseph] dreamed still another dream and told it to his brothers, and said,“Look, I have dreamed another dream. And this time, the sun, the moon, and the eleven stars bowed down to me.” So he told it to his father and his brothers; and his father rebuked him and said to him,“What is this dream that you have dreamed? Shall your mother and I and your brothers indeed come to bow down to the earth before you?”—Gen 37:9-11

Clearly, in this first use of the sun/moon/stars metaphor, Jacob understands that the sun/moon refer to Joseph’s forebears (i.e., mom and dad), and that the stars refer to his siblings (i.e., the future fathers of the twelve tribes of Israel). He probably doesn’t “get” that Joseph is also a type of Christ to whom the entire nation will one day bow. Nevertheless, this first use establishes for us a basis for understanding the “great sign”/the woman in Revelation 12. Remember: John was a Jew; he wrote from a Jewish perspective and understanding of the scriptures. He was aware of the portion of scripture describing Joseph’s dream—he was familiar with this particular celestial metaphor.

TO BAD THE CATHOLICS ARE TO BLINDED BY FALSE TEACHINGS THAT THEY CANT SEE THIS.
Saban fan

Mobile, AL

#422127 Feb 12, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think Paul was more enlightened than Jesus?
Did the contradict each other? I'm not aware of it.
Saban fan

Mobile, AL

#422128 Feb 12, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that is where you'd be lacking faith. That is where you'd be going against scripture. Christ promised to be with them til the end. He promised the gates of hell wouldn't prevail.
But you say it derailed within 30 yrs of Pauls letter to the Romans?
And it hasn't. His church exists!!

“What are you looking at?”

Albuquerque, NM

#422129 Feb 12, 2013
Robert Dye wrote:
<quoted text>
!
!!!
Mrph!
Heh.
Hehhehchuckckle.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
Thank you, New Age. You've given me a new topper, one that beats out "Yes you do [worship saints], They just didn't TELL you."
You win the RobDye prize for unconscious ignorance.
Congrats!
"unconscious ignorance"
- only exists in Catholicism. And since I left Catholicism, you are incorrect, yet again. But this is just another excuse from someone who believes in men and not Jesus.

But don't be in dismay, there is a consolation prize for you - you get to receive a "bad mark" in the "Book of Life" for judging me.

Lucky you!

Cheers!

Albuquerque, NM

#422130 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Did the contradict each other? I'm not aware of it.
Not exactly, as Paul also speaks of the Spirit in many facets, as Jesus did as well.

Unfortunately, the texts that Jesus speaks about the Spirit, are not included in your belief, thus you have placed Paul above Jesus in this regard.

Why?

Why would anyone only beleive in part of what Jesus taught and not find completeness in all of his teachings?

It's actually a question in which honesty is required to answer. But many, like you, refuse to be that honest.

*shrugs*
Clay

United States

#422131 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
And it hasn't. His church exists!!
Where were you guys for 1900 yrs? In hiding?

At which point, did everyone (except you guys) mess up the Ministry of Christ?
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#422132 Feb 12, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Not exactly, as Paul also speaks of the Spirit in many facets, as Jesus did as well.
Unfortunately, the texts that Jesus speaks about the Spirit, are not included in your belief, thus you have placed Paul above Jesus in this regard.
Why?
Why would anyone only beleive in part of what Jesus taught and not find completeness in all of his teachings?
It's actually a question in which honesty is required to answer. But many, like you, refuse to be that honest.
*shrugs*
I don't understand what you just said therefore I don't have an answer.

How did Paul and Jesus contradict each other?
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#422133 Feb 12, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a good book called Traces of the Kingdom that follows the church path to where it is today. I've attached links to it in earlier posts.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#422134 Feb 12, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
I didn't say God created Satan as an evil creature.
-
GREED caused him to sin, lusting after the Most High Position in the Heavens. He wanted what was rightfully God's - that being: God's Sovereign Right to Rule over His Creation. When Satan realized he could not have it, he got prideful. Greed came first.
Satan was made perfect, evil came through pride the first sin was commited in Heaven.
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#422135 Feb 12, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
And there could be numerous churches of Christ all over the world that I don't know about. Anywhere a Bible can be found a church of Christ is liable to be found.

All are autonomous. There is no central office or divisional headquarters or anything like that - oh, except Heaven. I suppose you could say Heaven is Headquarters.
concerned in Eygpt

Aberdeen, UK

#422136 Feb 12, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
So let me get this straight: you believe the folks at Corinth all gathered around when Pauls letter arrived; they announced "we got another one from Paul!" Then they promptly passed it around for each one to determine what the latest Christian teachings are?
Help me out here brother.
He was writing to the Church!
I believe you are trying to be Sarcastic but the answer is Yes pretty much.

In Paul's day when a letter arrived it would go to the Scribes first and be copied right away 50-100 right of the bat and then sent off to other locals for other city community scribes to copy and send off.
It was and industry as there was not Printing presses etc. etc.

When they gathered which was many times per week in the early church it would be read out loud and it would be repeated many times as it would be memorized so to pass it on even further verbally quicker.

In Paul's and Jesus's day to have half of the OT memorized was not uncommon among the faithful. It was a discipline practiced by the early Church that came from there Ancient Heritages Greeks Jews alike all practiced this discipline.
You can Youtube Israels the ultra orthodox schools where they are bobbing their heads while reading out loud they are memorizing as they did in Paul's day, the practice has not died out even to this day.

That is right when the Sun went down no Ipods game boys or TV everybody of to someones house to hear the word read or recited that was the Entertainment of the day.

First time you got something right I should have never doubted.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#422137 Feb 12, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>They weren't given the law against murder till Moses and at the time they had no law against murder.
Why did Cain kill Abel? It was premeditated murder, caused by anger, jealousy, and pride. John wrote, "Do not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own actions were evil and his brother’s were righteous" (1 John 3:12). The evil in his heart was further revealed when the Lord asked Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don’t know," he replied. "Am I my brother’s keeper?" (Genesis 4:9). The Lord brought a curse on Cain, and he went out from His presence
truth

Perth, Australia

#422138 Feb 12, 2013
-Paul is devil prosecutor of Christians..others simple enjoyed call Paul Jesus Christ..shame!

Jesus Christ is Jesus Christ..others preachers are simple as ordinary people.
You can pray too.
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#422139 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
We believe that Mary is the Woman described.
Dan, in prophecy, a woman represents a church.
The woman riding the scarlet beast is a harlot - the RCC.
The woman in Revelation 12 is Christ's true Bible following church.
It is not a church steeped in tradition with many false doctrines and who worships the Queen of Heaven.
Please don't tell me that bowing to a statue is not worship.
God destroyed those who bowed to a golden calf.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#422140 Feb 12, 2013
Plus....this is history...and dates some 300 years after Mt 16:18!!!! And Catholics deny it ever happened!!!!!

Roman Catholicism
Founder: Emperor Constantine

Overview:
The Roman Catholic church, headquartered in Rome, Italy, has its own powerful City-State, the Vatican.

The Roman Catholic church unofficially came into being in 312 A.D., at the time of the so-called "miraculous conversion" to Christianity of the Roman Emperor Constantine but he still worshipped the sun god.

Although Christianity was not made the official religion of the Roman Empire until the edicts of Theodosius I in 380 and 381 A.D., Constantine, from 312 A.D. until his death in 337, was engaged in the process of simultaneously building pagan temples and Christian churches, and was slowly turning over the reins of his pagan priesthood to the Bishop of Rome.

However, the family of Constantine did not give up the last vestige of his priesthood until after the disintegration of the Roman Empire – that being the title the emperors bore as heads of the pagan priesthood – Pontifex Maximus – a title which the popes would inherit. The popes also inherited Constantine's titles as the self-appointed civil head of the church – Summus Pontifex (Vicar of Christ and Bishop of Bishops).
truth

Perth, Australia

#422142 Feb 12, 2013
Trough Mary they liked destroy Jesus then say devil is your father did you say like that..

They know they are not on tree of life=who?

Albuquerque, NM

#422144 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand what you just said therefore I don't have an answer.
How did Paul and Jesus contradict each other?
This is the error in your judgment.

First, I asked why you think "Paul" is more enlightened than Jesus, and you have yet to answer.

So you ask other questions of me instead. If you want the answers to the question you pose, then you will have to answer mine first.

Let's start again...

"Why do you think "Paul" is more enlightened than Jesus?"
- to help clarify, you quote "Paul" for your answers, but where is Jesus' teaching on what you posted?

If you can honestly answer this, you will answer the question yourself.
Clay

United States

#422145 Feb 12, 2013
concerned in Eygpt wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you are trying to be Sarcastic but the answer is Yes pretty much.
In Paul's day when a letter arrived it would go to the Scribes first and be copied right away 50-100 right of the bat and then sent off to other locals for other city community scribes to copy and send off.
It was and industry as there was not Printing presses etc. etc.
When they gathered which was many times per week in the early church it would be read out loud and it would be repeated many times as it would be memorized so to pass it on even further verbally quicker.
In Paul's and Jesus's day to have half of the OT memorized was not uncommon among the faithful. It was a discipline practiced by the early Church that came from there Ancient Heritages Greeks Jews alike all practiced this discipline.
You can Youtube Israels the ultra orthodox schools where they are bobbing their heads while reading out loud they are memorizing as they did in Paul's day, the practice has not died out even to this day.
That is right when the Sun went down no Ipods game boys or TV everybody of to someones house to hear the word read or recited that was the Entertainment of the day.
First time you got something right I should have never doubted.
There is no biblical nor historical basis for your opinion.
Even if your fantasy is correct, those first Christians amazingly look Catholic according to the writings they wrote.

Albuquerque, NM

#422146 Feb 12, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no biblical nor historical basis for your opinion.
Even if your fantasy is correct, those first Christians amazingly look Catholic according to the writings they wrote.
Orthodoxy does not mean Catholicism.

Albuquerque, NM

#422147 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
"But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse!" (Gal. 1:8)
Yet, Catholics tell me they can have Scripture, and the "teachings of the Church", and their sacred tradition as the foundation of their faith.
Do Paul's words sound like the teachings would ever change or be amended? Who is the "WE" he is speaking of when he says IF EVEN WE OR AN ANGEL FROM HEAVEN?
And these Catholics have the nerve to tell me that it is unscriptural for my teaching to be scripturally based alone. They claim I need the teachings of the Church and their sacred tradition to go along with scripture. Those things came along AFTER Paul spoke these words to the Christians in Galatia. These people on this thread are not even Paul or the Angel from Heaven. Why should anyone believe them and their Apostasy?
Isn't this a reasonable verse for me to believe that the Bible alone can give me all the instruction I will ever need to know about going to Heaven and how Christ's church should operate?
Christ's church is the true church.(Rom. 16:16b) not the Catholic church. Paul even says, "let them be under God's curse." (Gal. 1:8b)
Here is your original post - praising "Paul" for his words.

Please state Jesus' teachings on this subject.

As for your question here:
"Isn't this a reasonable verse for me to believe that the Bible alone can give me all the instruction I will ever need to know about going to Heaven and how Christ's church should operate?"

No it isn't, because there are many passages in the Bible that has no bearing on the path to heaven - namely the Levitical laws, which so many are outdated in all aspects.
- Thus, your belief in only a portion of the Bible is more accurately stated.

Thus, no the Bible doesn't give you full instructions.

Besides those points, men will learn of "God" at death. No man has ever come back from death in the past 2000 years, except the Christian version of Jesus.

IMO - Jesus came back only in Spirit. To show the and tell of his transcendence to "God's kingdom" and more than likely used the philosophy he taught to do so:

(2) Jesus says:

(1) "The one who seeks should not cease seeking until he finds.
(2) And when he finds, he will be dismayed.
(3) And when he is dismayed, he will be astonished.
(4) And he will be king over the All."

(3) Jesus says:

(1) "If those who lead you say to you:‘Look, the kingdom is in the sky!’
then the birds of the sky will precede you.
(2) If they say to you:‘It is in the sea,’ then the fishes will precede you.
(3) Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and outside of you."
(4) "When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known,
and you will realize that you are the children of the living Father.
(5) But if you do not come to know yourselves, then you exist in poverty, and you are poverty."
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 2 hr Crazy 9,205
News Pinoys in NY prepare for Calungsod's sainthood (Aug '12) 22 hr untilthelighttak ... 209
News Pope Holds Meeting to Encourage Adoption of U.N... 23 hr untilthelighttak ... 7
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 23 hr untilthelighttak ... 84,124
News Pope on free speech: What about turning the oth... Sat KristoFMYsagun 11
News Cuban bishop says news of papal visit brings 'h... May 1 the AWSOME Cowboy 1
News Woman excommunicated from Catholic Church calls... Apr 30 untilthelighttak ... 2
More from around the web