Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Jul 10, 2007 Read more: CBC News 582,413
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Read more
Saban fan

United States

#422004 Feb 12, 2013
If a Catholic is not bound to the scriptures we're not working from a moral standard and my presence here is futile.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422006 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't presume it will have any scholarly or theological weight to you since the case being made is only based on scripture.
Son't presume-simply provide information.

That's all I'm asking for as to Pineda's credibility.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422007 Feb 12, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, we Christians agree that this is one of those instances.... in which your false doctrine is made evident......
for the Bible is clear that {faith comes by hearing and hearing BY THE WORD OF GOD.}
therefore your pope is a liar and a blasphmer to tell people that mary went up into heaven as he says that she did.
AS THE WORD OF GOD DOES NOT TEACH THAT.
We believe scripture teaches it.

Thanks
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422008 Feb 12, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe wrong...
Re 12:1 And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:
woman: a woman; specially, a wife:--wife, woman.
This could be talking about anybody's wife...any woman...it definitely does not identify Mary...
We believe the Woman is Mary.

Thanks
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422009 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't disagree with your last sentence. The man-made theology and traditions definitely caused the apostacy and the man-made divisions.
I left the apsotasy issue alone as a declaration by any of those mentioned wasn't presented to me.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422010 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't suppose man alone could interpret God's Word without the Catholic filter attached.
Scripture teaches us that Christ conferred His ministerial authority unto the Apostles. We believe that this authority has succeeded to the present day via the Sacrament of Holy Orders.

In other words, Christ established the "filter".

Private interpretation results in the mass chaos of denominationalism we've discussed.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422011 Feb 12, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
I was brought up in the rcc and left around the age of 18. After I gave my life to Jesus Christ in 2004 I found that many churches put faith in men. Thats a huge err. I'm not here to bring up points that have been made over and over but to remind us all to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. Time is short.
You're going in a circle here.

You left the Church (of men) so you, a man, could preach the Gospel.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422012 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Attacking the messenger......
No.

Making inquiry as to his authority.

I'm gathering now that I may know more about him than you.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422013 Feb 12, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
faith that whatever the pope says about the assumption of Mary is true?
Faith that the Church Christ established cannot teach error.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422014 Feb 12, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Your stories about the assumption of Mary, among other things, are not of faith because you did not hear that by the Word of God.
Faith in men is what you have.
Reading comprehension is not what you have.

I cited the scriptural basis for the belief in the Assumption.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422015 Feb 12, 2013
Saban fan wrote:
If a Catholic is not bound to the scriptures we're not working from a moral standard and my presence here is futile.
What Catholic has told you here that they do not beleieve in the authority of scripture?

None.

Catholics do NOT believe that ONLY the Bible informs their faith, but this does not render the Bible less than authoritative.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#422016 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
so when the assumption of Mary was declared in 1950 by pope pius XII your faith is in him and the other popes that this is the correct teaching?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#422017 Feb 12, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
You.ve got it ALL wrong again--Confrinting--which is "nothing new" in your case. The fact is---There is "NOTHING to debate--NOTHING to discuss and NOTHING to argue over! The ONLY "authoritative, authenticated and verifiable TRUTH comes from Jesus Christ and HIS One and ONLY--- PROVEN (without a doubt) to be TRUE --Universal Catholic Church --(the Bride of Christ). Your "bible only" half truth Christianity, has "absolutely NO BASIS" of biblical or historical truth to back up "anything that you say" It is a "man-made" doctrine of belief that was "never believe by ANYONE" until the 17th century. It is nothing more that an extension of the Protestant Reformation that is grounded on "personal opinionated self-interpretation" of the bible., The Only truth that you can even (lay claim to) is "Relative Truth" (whatever each person believes)--"is the the truth". That is why (since the (protestant reformation) there are now over 42,000+ inconsistent, contradicting and conflicting denomination of (personal opinion bible interpetations. Liberalism and political correctness has infected many of these 42,000 beliefs in various ways, supporting
abortion, gay marriage, euthenasia, emboyonic stem cell research, women ministers, homosexual immorality and on and on and on--whichever way the next "political wind blows" ----God IS NOT, NOR EVER WILL BE, the author of your "bible only" Protestant confusion, chaos and heretical (half-truth) Christianity!!
An example of a Christian terrorist.

You are no better than the Muslims who foster in hatred against others, because they don't believe the same as you.

Maybe you should just strap a bomb to yourself and blow up these people you hate?

*sighs*

Albuquerque, NM

#422018 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Declaring apostolic succession "bogus" based on your hunch as to what JPI got handed isn't really definitive.
Thanks for responding.
Never said it was "definitive".

It surely isn't any "succession" to what your heirarchy claims.

"Less than six of the original 13 Apostles"

Why do you limit "God" and let men make "His" decisions?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422019 Feb 12, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
so when the assumption of Mary was declared in 1950 by pope pius XII your faith is in him and the other popes that this is the correct teaching?
Again, my faith tells me that the Churhc Christ established cannot teach error.

The declaration of the Assumption in 1950 defined the belief in the Assumption as dogma, an article of faith revealed by God, which the magisterium of the Church presents as necessary to be believed.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#422020 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
We believe scripture teaches it.
Thanks
Then your belief is dead wrong....there is no Scripture to support such a teaching....or you would have quoted said Scripture...
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#422021 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
What Catholic has told you here that they do not beleieve in the authority of scripture?
None.
Catholics do NOT believe that ONLY the Bible informs their faith, but this does not render the Bible less than authoritative.
Catholics don't believe that God's Word is the sole authority of Christianity.

Therefore, if a catholic teaching is NOT in God's Word, it still contradicts God's Word doesn't it?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422022 Feb 12, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
To clarify, my faith isn't in Pope Pius XII-it's in Christ instructing us through His Church without possibility of error.

Albuquerque, NM

#422023 Feb 12, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You've been duped.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#422024 Feb 12, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Never said it was "definitive".
It surely isn't any "succession" to what your heirarchy claims.
"Less than six of the original 13 Apostles"
Why do you limit "God" and let men make "His" decisions?
I'm glad you didn't-it barely rose above "speculative".

I didn't say a thing about "Less than six of the original 13 Apostles".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 2 hr swedenforever 84,033
News Turkish Leaders Invoke Crusades, Inquisition in... 4 hr Old Pom 20
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 5 hr Mr Sir 9,174
News St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes (Apr '14) Thu ELIAS IBARRA 51
News Turkey disappointed with Pope's Armenian 'genoc... Thu Rockstar 14
News Pope calls Armenian slaughter '1st genocide of ... Apr 15 SpaceBlues 3
News Pope says Catholics must practice a responsible... Apr 14 ELIAS IBARRA 6
More from around the web