Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 543,287
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#421170 Feb 9, 2013
cont
The second common interpretation of this passage and the one that best fits the overall context, not only of this passage but of the Bible as a whole, is the one that sees the phrase “born of water and the Spirit” as both describing different aspects of the same spiritual birth, or of what it means to be “born again” or “born from above.” So, when Jesus told Nicodemus that he must “be born of water and the Spirit,” He was not referring to literal water (i.e. baptism or the amniotic fluid in the womb), but was referring to the need for spiritual cleansing or renewal. Throughout the Old Testament (Psalm 51:2,7; Ezekiel 36:25) and the New Testament (John 13:10; 15:3; 1 Corinthians 6:11; Hebrews 10:22), water is often used figuratively of spiritual cleansing or regeneration that is brought forth by the Holy Spirit, through the Word of God, at the moment of salvation (Ephesians 5:26; Titus 3:5).
The Barclay Daily Study Bible describes this concept in this way:“There are two thoughts here. Water is the symbol of cleansing. When Jesus takes possession of our lives, when we love Him with all our heart, the sins of the past are forgiven and forgotten. The Spirit is the symbol of power. When Jesus takes possession of our lives it is not only that the past is forgotten and forgiven; if that were all, we might well proceed to make the same mess of life all over again; but into life there enters a new power which enables us to be what by ourselves we could never be and to do what by ourselves we could never do. Water and the Spirit stand for the cleansing and the strengthening power of Christ, which wipes out the past and gives victory in the future.”
Therefore, the “water” mentioned in this verse is not literal physical water but rather the “living water” Jesus promised the woman at the well in John 4:10 and the people in Jerusalem in John 7:37-39. It is the inward purification and renewal produced by the Holy Spirit that brings forth spiritual life to a dead sinner (Ezekiel 36:25-27; Titus 3:5). Jesus reinforces this truth in John 3:7 when He restates that one must be born again and that this newness of life can only be produced by the Holy Spirit (John 3:8).
There are several reasons why this is the correct interpretation of the phrase “born of water and the Spirit.” First of all, we should note that the Greek word translated “again” has two possible meanings. The first one is “again,” and the second one is “from above.” Nicodemus apparently assumed the first meaning “again” and found that idea incomprehensible. That is why he could not understand how as a grown man he could re-enter his mother’s womb and be “born again” physically. Therefore, Jesus restates what He had just told Nicodemus in a different way so that it would be clear He was referring to being “born from above.” In other words, both “born from above” and “born of water and Spirit” are two ways of saying the same thing.
Second, it is important to note the Greek grammar in this verse would seem to indicate “being born of water” and “being born of the Spirit” are thought of as one item, not two. Therefore, it is not speaking of two separate births, as Nicodemus incorrectly thought, but of one birth, that of being “born from above” or the spiritual birth that is necessary for anyone to “see the kingdom of God.” This need for one to be “born again,” or to experience spiritual birth, is so important that Jesus tells Nicodemus of its necessity three different times in this passage of Scripture (John 3:3, 3:5, 3:7).
Third, water is often used symbolically in the Bible to refer to the work of the Holy Spirit in sanctifying a believer, whereby God cleanses and purifies the believer’s heart or soul. In many places in both the Old and New Testaments, the work of the Holy Spirit is compared to water (Isaiah 44:3; John 7:38-39).
cont
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#421171 Feb 9, 2013
cont
Jesus rebukes Nicodemus in John 3:10 by asking him:“Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not understand these things?” This implies that what Jesus had just told him was something Nicodemus should have known and understood from the Old Testament. What is it that Nicodemus, as a teacher of the Old Testament, should have known and understood? It is that God had promised in the Old Testament a time was coming in which He would:“sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.”(Ezekiel 36:25-27). Jesus rebuked Nicodemus because he failed to recall and understand one of the key Old Testament passages pertaining to the New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:33). Nicodemus should have been expecting this. Why would Jesus have rebuked Nicodemus for not understanding baptism considering the fact that baptism is nowhere mentioned in the Old Testament?
While this verse does not teach baptism is required for salvation, we should be careful not to neglect baptism’s importance. Baptism is the sign or the symbol for what takes place when one is born again. Baptism’s importance should not be downplayed or minimized. However, baptism does not save us. What saves us is the cleansing work of the Holy Spirit, when we are born again and regenerated by the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5).
gotquestions.ca
socci

El Dorado Springs, MO

#421172 Feb 9, 2013
babel wrote:
my feet=fire
45 degree if you put hand there no you don't say it is as it is..then you will say it is in your mind..
no its not in my mind..
one things for certain
when i go in bath
putt feet there how its look
ljepilo =sticky like graveyard body= raspadno stanje tvojih nogu..
my hand in middle start again..how its look
not yet visible like last week..inside you can fill..
Are you for sure its not mind..can be,but not necessary as real point.
My feet in water as you coming from fire..but i look normal..even when i fill that.

This is why Roman Church is called Babylon.

LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#421173 Feb 9, 2013
To all the catholic's on this thread, Jesus could be talking to you as He talked to Nicodemus.

Jesus rebukes Nicodemus in John 3:10 by asking him:“Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not understand these things?” This implies that what Jesus had just told him was something Nicodemus should have known and understood from the Old Testament. What is it that Nicodemus, as a teacher of the Old Testament, should have known and understood? It is that God had promised in the Old Testament a time was coming in which He would:“sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.”(Ezekiel 36:25-27). Jesus rebuked Nicodemus because he failed to recall and understand one of the key Old Testament passages pertaining to the New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:33). Nicodemus should have been expecting this. Why would Jesus have rebuked Nicodemus for not understanding baptism considering the fact that baptism is nowhere mentioned in the Old Testament?
While this verse does not teach baptism is required for salvation, we should be careful not to neglect baptism’s importance. Baptism is the sign or the symbol for what takes place when one is born again. Baptism’s importance should not be downplayed or minimized. However, baptism does not save us. What saves us is the cleansing work of the Holy Spirit, when we are born again and regenerated by the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5).

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#421174 Feb 9, 2013
I am glad that God will deal with us to get Baptised. as I said, with my neck the way it is, i didnt want someone shoving me backwards, but God continue to show me that it would be okay. and in may 1983, I went down to hear my Pastor preach at his fathers church, and of course, he preached on being Baptised, and he didnt know that I was coming down, but God knew.

and that sunday afternoon, God really blessed that day.
socci

El Dorado Springs, MO

#421175 Feb 9, 2013
LTM wrote:
To all the catholic's on this thread, Jesus could be talking to you as He talked to Nicodemus.
Jesus rebukes Nicodemus in John 3:10

The gnostic Nicolaitanes too, in the book of Revelation Jesus says:

2:6 But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.

2:15 So have you also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate.

2:16 Repent; or else I will come to you quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
socci

El Dorado Springs, MO

#421176 Feb 9, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
I am glad that God will deal with us to get Baptised. as I said, with my neck the way it is, i didnt want someone shoving me backwards, but God continue to show me that it would be okay. and in may 1983, I went down to hear my Pastor preach at his fathers church, and of course, he preached on being Baptised, and he didnt know that I was coming down, but God knew.
and that sunday afternoon, God really blessed that day.

Did you get baptized? Great! Me too, about 14 years ago.

Here's a little book why baptism is needed..

• Baptism: Is It really Necessary?

http://abc.eznettools.net/mobxpozd/baptism.ht...

truth

Perth, Australia

#421177 Feb 9, 2013
socci will save this world..he is god of what?
Can we know..its very nice know you are save others not.
Its free will have life..we have rights on this life others according justice judging and oppose what so ever..but time will come for them too.

reprogram..no no no you don't need except that..its not belong to you..as well other evil people try posses what is not belong for them..i hope..general destruction will come as they wish because possessors is not CREATOR..I mean real Creator.

kolo srece uokolo se okrece

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#421178 Feb 9, 2013
socci wrote:
<quoted text>
yes, of course, I got Baptised. nine months and three days after I was Saved, and nine months and one day after I was baptised with the Holy Ghost.just to inform everyone, I believe that when a person gets saved they receive the Spirit of Christ, this is different than Being Baptised in the Holy Ghost.
truth

Perth, Australia

#421179 Feb 9, 2013
repent we say ..izmisljotina..posessors can't wait they liked posess everuthing for themself what is not belong to them

why you on hurry izmisljotino.
Is that very rood tell others..one way yes..on other way not..depend hpow you understood.
an en in on
at it

izmisljotina=innovation ''in''

now in=within izmisljotina
izmisljotina=uvreda=as you hurt others
in reality not
izmisljas=innovation

o jedna izmisljotino tko ce ti se vjerovati..yes izmisljotina=innovation visible and not invisible

Did we have warning about izmisljotina=innovation?

yes yes yes
vanity vanity vanity
eccelestic
ece +n=nece=no

Izmisljotina=innovation=your first prophets long time ago see and call izmisljotina..that and that and many prophets don't have words describe your izmisljotina=innovation..no..n ow you call that buble buble game..
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#421180 Feb 9, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>Baptism doesnt save any person. Only the Blood of Jesus saves a Person as it is written, without the shedding of Blood, there is no remission of sin(hebrew 9:22).
if water SAVED any person, then Jesus would not have had to lose His life for the Unsaved.
I realize that you belong to the campbellite cult,and really are sincere in your beliefs, but you are sincerely WRONG.
Ananias baptised Paul thinking that this act would save paul, and he did it in ignorance of the Scriptures, just like your church does today.and the catholics also.
and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him.
4 He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?
5 Who are you, Lord? Saul asked. I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting, he replied.
here Paul acknowledges that Jesus is Lord and his Lord.maing paul a Christian already and a candidatge to be Baptised by ananias, now on the other hand if Paul doesnt acknowledge Jesus as Lord, he would have been a person who just got wet and that would have been it.
speaking for myself, I was Saved on 8/25/82, filled with the Holy Ghost on 8/27/82 and Baptised by water on May 28, 1983.
and speaking for YOU, if you got baptsied by water(whatever day) you still are not a Christian if you are depending on that ritual saving your soul.
The demons knew Jesus was Lord, right? We're they saved?
Only through the blood of Christ does my baptism have any meaning - I'll agree with you there.
Was Noah saved by water? Was Noah saved by the ark?
Was Noah saved by God's grace? Yes!
Did Noah believe in God? Yes. Was that enough to save him, or did he have to have an obedient faith?
Are we saved by God's grace? Yes!
But we, like Noah must have an obedient faith. Why is there so much attention given to baptism in scripture?
truth

Perth, Australia

#421181 Feb 9, 2013
sword=drows
$word=you pay everything today even word=your internet=''in''ternet

nowsword drows..drove..dot to dot..
we call dota as woman have and give to someone who married you..do you understood..no
please tell me why not understood..

dot to dot to dot ..........your every city place house
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
rivers mountains and so on stay in correction as it is..now
because
it is on earth it is on heaven

why in heaven better
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooo

/=os
s=c=co 15;19

i walk in blue light i walk between them i see man who collecting them is that you Shime..i think he is my friend Orthodox friend he is been married catholic..no no is Jesus look like that..its frozen..but i don't fill cold..i see many many in bags

you have there on window where Jesus stay on Cross.
When i come i sit there where stage mother Mary meet her son.

Are you for sure not will be sini sunce?
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#421182 Feb 9, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>Baptism doesnt save any person. Only the Blood of Jesus saves a Person as it is written, without the shedding of Blood, there is no remission of sin(hebrew 9:22).
if water SAVED any person, then Jesus would not have had to lose His life for the Unsaved.
I realize that you belong to the campbellite cult,and really are sincere in your beliefs, but you are sincerely WRONG.
Ananias baptised Paul thinking that this act would save paul, and he did it in ignorance of the Scriptures, just like your church does today.and the catholics also.
and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him.
4 He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?
5 Who are you, Lord? Saul asked. I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting, he replied.
here Paul acknowledges that Jesus is Lord and his Lord.maing paul a Christian already and a candidatge to be Baptised by ananias, now on the other hand if Paul doesnt acknowledge Jesus as Lord, he would have been a person who just got wet and that would have been it.
speaking for myself, I was Saved on 8/25/82, filled with the Holy Ghost on 8/27/82 and Baptised by water on May 28, 1983.
and speaking for YOU, if you got baptsied by water(whatever day) you still are not a Christian if you are depending on that ritual saving your soul.
How do you know you were saved?
How do you know you were filled with the Holy Ghost? Did you begin speaking in languages you'd never learned?
Why were you baptized?
Where do you find examples in scripture of conversions that happened in the same sequence as yours?
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#421183 Feb 9, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>yes, of course, I got Baptised. nine months and three days after I was Saved, and nine months and one day after I was baptised with the Holy Ghost.just to inform everyone, I believe that when a person gets saved they receive the Spirit of Christ, this is different than Being Baptised in the Holy Ghost.
If ail stated there was ONE baptism when he was speaking to the Christians in Ephesus, why then would you practice two? Where do you find the authority to have two baptisms if Paul says there is ONE?
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#421184 Feb 9, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
You must know that Paul was already saved,.Damascus
Acts 22:16 does not teach that baptism is necessary for salvation?"
the Bible is clear that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, not by works of any kind, including baptism (Ephesians 2:8-9). So, any interpretation which comes to the conclusion that baptism, or any other act, is necessary for salvation, is a faulty interpretation.
Acts 22:16, "And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name."
1. Paul said that he did not receive or hear the Gospel from Ananias, but rather he heard it directly from Christ.
Galatians 1:11-12 says, "For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ." So, Paul heard and believed in Christ on the road to Damascus. Paul had already believed in Christ when Ananias came to pray for him to receive his sight (Acts 9:17).
2. It also should be noted that Paul at the time when Ananias prayed for him to receive his sight, he also received the Holy Spirit (Acts 9:17)--this was before he was baptized (Acts 9:18). Acts presents a transition period where God's focus turns from Israel to the Church. The events recorded in Acts are not always normative. With regard to receiving the Holy Spirit, the norm is that a person receives and is permanently indwelt by the Holy Spirit at the moment of salvation.
3. The Greek aorist participle, epikalesamenos, translated "calling on His name" refers either to action that is simultaneous with or before that of the main verb, "be baptized." Here Paul’s calling on Christ’s name for salvation preceded his water baptism. The participle may be translated "having called on His name" which makes more sense, as it would clearly indicate the order of the events.
4. Concerning the words, "be baptized, and wash away your sins," because Paul was already cleansed spiritually at the time Christ appeared to him, these words must refer to the symbolism of baptism. Baptism is a picture of God’s inner work of washing away sin (1 Corinthians 6:11; 1 Peter 3:21).
5. It is also interesting that when Paul recounted this event again later in Acts (Acts 26:12-18), he did not mention Ananias or what Ananias said to him at all. Verse 18 again would confirm the idea that Paul received Christ as Savior on the road to Damascus since here Christ is telling Paul he will be a messenger for Him concerning forgiveness of sins for Gentiles as they have faith in Him. It would seem unlikely that Christ would commission Paul if Paul had not yet believed in Him.
I've never read the part where it says baptism is a work. I hear folks say that all the time but no one has ever been able to point that out to me. Can you?
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#421185 Feb 9, 2013
socci wrote:
<quoted text>
The Article says:

Suppose you could survey the people who live in the hundred homes nearest to your own house on the subject of Christian baptism. What kind of answer would you get in response to this question: "How should a person be baptized in order to meet the Bible requirements of salvation?"

It is likely that you would get a dozen different answers, and possibly even a hundred. Some would say that they don't believe it is necessary to be baptized at all to be saved. Others would answer that true baptism is to go forward three times completely under the water. Some would contend that a few drops of sprinkled water on the head would constitute a valid baptism, while others would insist on pouring the water over the candidate. A few would strongly hold that a proper baptism consists of a single immersion backwards into the water.

Somehow the subject of baptism has spawned a plethora of ideas on how it should be administered, and to whom. Yet, all believe that their method is based on the one book of authority - the Bible. How could this confusion of conviction result from reading the same book?"

Then Joe Schmo gives his infallible opinion. lol Protestants are all over the place and here is another with the real deal. It never ends with them. The Spam from LTM who presents her infallible author from gotquestions It never ends with Protestants each with their own personal truth.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#421186 Feb 9, 2013
socci wrote:
<quoted text>
The gnostic Nicolaitanes too, in the book of Revelation Jesus says:
2:6 But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.
2:15 So have you also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate.
2:16 Repent; or else I will come to you quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
Socci, I believe the Holy Spirit was already dealing with Nicodemus, that is why he went late in the evening to see Jesus,
and say "Rabbi we know you are a teacher who came from GOD and do the signs and wonders you do unless GOD is with Him .
He was already a believer!!
Nicodemus was a Pharisee ruler of the Jews, he may have been the first but not the last Pharisee that was changed after meeting Jesus . Nicodemus was the one who helped take Jesus' body from the cross and laid Jesus in his own tomb.
truth

Perth, Australia

#421187 Feb 9, 2013
i find myself upon sun as big fire ball..no no that time i don't fill hot..not at all
as i walk in blue light
i don't fill cold but its look body is frozen

why i return
i don't died from fire not from cold

Did you sold your soul to whom?
Which name you call upon yourself?

socco will tell you..
could you imagen socco kusnja=test
did god put us under test?
Did god need silver gold money wood?

everything go in fire burning silver gold wood
what so ever

now they sending mouse and cocorache
co c=3 cmock
truth

Perth, Australia

#421188 Feb 9, 2013
you know if people can't understood
they liked pray
as well understood on own way..its hard understood

sveti duse =holy spirit duso moje duse
Saban fan

Decatur, AL

#421189 Feb 9, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
You must know that Paul was already saved,.Damascus
Acts 22:16 does not teach that baptism is necessary for salvation?"
the Bible is clear that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, not by works of any kind, including baptism (Ephesians 2:8-9). So, any interpretation which comes to the conclusion that baptism, or any other act, is necessary for salvation, is a faulty interpretation.
Acts 22:16, "And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name."
1. Paul said that he did not receive or hear the Gospel from Ananias, but rather he heard it directly from Christ.
Galatians 1:11-12 says, "For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ." So, Paul heard and believed in Christ on the road to Damascus. Paul had already believed in Christ when Ananias came to pray for him to receive his sight (Acts 9:17).
2. It also should be noted that Paul at the time when Ananias prayed for him to receive his sight, he also received the Holy Spirit (Acts 9:17)--this was before he was baptized (Acts 9:18). Acts presents a transition period where God's focus turns from Israel to the Church. The events recorded in Acts are not always normative. With regard to receiving the Holy Spirit, the norm is that a person receives and is permanently indwelt by the Holy Spirit at the moment of salvation.
3. The Greek aorist participle, epikalesamenos, translated "calling on His name" refers either to action that is simultaneous with or before that of the main verb, "be baptized." Here Paul’s calling on Christ’s name for salvation preceded his water baptism. The participle may be translated "having called on His name" which makes more sense, as it would clearly indicate the order of the events.
4. Concerning the words, "be baptized, and wash away your sins," because Paul was already cleansed spiritually at the time Christ appeared to him, these words must refer to the symbolism of baptism. Baptism is a picture of God’s inner work of washing away sin (1 Corinthians 6:11; 1 Peter 3:21).
5. It is also interesting that when Paul recounted this event again later in Acts (Acts 26:12-18), he did not mention Ananias or what Ananias said to him at all. Verse 18 again would confirm the idea that Paul received Christ as Savior on the road to Damascus since here Christ is telling Paul he will be a messenger for Him concerning forgiveness of sins for Gentiles as they have faith in Him. It would seem unlikely that Christ would commission Paul if Paul had not yet believed in Him.
You begin with Acts 22:16. Exactly what is there about this verse that would convince someone that Paul's sins had been forgiven before his baptism?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 1 hr Married in 8,304
After brutal persecution, Albania 'reopened' to... Sun Barbarian 4
Stealing the Keys to Heaven (Aug '09) Sep 19 Dan Dougherty 3
Pope's visit will change Philippines, Cardinal ... Sep 18 Iglesia_Ni_Dinuguan 4
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... (Mar '14) Sep 18 pazuzu 85
Edmonton's Coptic Christian community welcomes ... Sep 18 PAUL SHYKORA arts 1
Selfies with Pope Francis cardboard cutouts pop... Sep 10 ELIAS IBARRA 5
•••

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••