Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 560,573
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Clay

United States

#419814 Feb 3, 2013
RCC Superiority So BUSTED wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the link your provided...
http://cara.georgetown.edu/CARAServices/reque...
17% of world population is Catholic.
24% of these are reported as practicing Catholics.
.17 x .24 = about 4.1% of humanity is a practicing Catholic.
Therefore, either this RCC "one-true" claim is 100% baloney, or ...
Jesus died a horrific death in order to "save" 4.1% of humanity.
Ummmm? Let history and reality guide us to the truth.
Another interesting statistic:
99% of the people on this forum think you're an idiot.

And Catholicism will never be wholly accepted just as the majority of the world denied the Son of God and killed Him 2,000 yrs ago. The " free mind, RCC Superiority So busted, light of catholicism Michaels" of the world denied the Christ back then, they deny him now.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#419815 Feb 3, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Robert, did you know among pagan nations, nothing was more common than for persons to profess to have contact with spirits, and to be under the influence of their inspiration?
And yes it frightens most Christians.
marge

I haven't made a study of it. But I have some opinions. I think in pre-industrial societies people were more in-tune with the environment in which they lived. And this made them more sensitive to knowing good and evil going on about them, and in them. In today's society we have been desensitised and consciences cauterized to such a degree that demons can easily remain undisturbed from the light.

In the Bible note how people with demons and possessed came forward or were brought to Jesus.

In this age demons find refuge in the abundance of darkness, and operate in it.

But not to fear Jesus already has won the victory.
ReginaM

Middletown, NJ

#419816 Feb 3, 2013
Catholics hate women? Really??

:)

http://www.catholicmemes.com/captions/queen-o...
ReginaM

Middletown, NJ

#419817 Feb 3, 2013
ReginaM

Middletown, NJ

#419818 Feb 3, 2013
Perfectly fulfilling the will of God since the Immaculate Conception:

http://www.catholicmemes.com/captions/catholi...

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#419819 Feb 3, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>"Sin is a reproach to any people."You have known since your own start on this planet that people do terrible things in all facets of life.Political or religious fervor all stems from the same trigger points in the brain.People are prone to fanaticism in all venues of life,why is being religious and a zealot any different than a rabid politician who is consumed by political ambition or the need to serve to prove loyalties?
All sin is rebellion against God,no matter who commits it,or partakes of it.It is our way of doing our own thing,standing erect as it were in our own pride,that is the roots of sin all sin, a pride to be independent of anything or person who would restrict our movements,who would inhibit our inner most desires.
Pad good friend

I Cor 14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

We must not be temperate in seeking truth. Rather be zealous.

There is a sort of fear of looking like a fanatic, by the world, and even within our own selves, when it comes to religion..., truth. But any slacking of zealousness means that the soul grows sluggish(slothful), to finally becoming lukewarm.

Fanaticism is being unreasonable with faith. Being zealous for the faith requires reason.
Clay

United States

#419820 Feb 3, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
http://www.catholicmemes.com/c aptions/super-bowl-sunday/
Great links Regina
truth

Perth, Australia

#419821 Feb 3, 2013
truth

Perth, Australia

#419822 Feb 3, 2013
http://www.acts17-11.com/light.html

Pape Benedict 16 declare 2005 years as year of ''light''
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#419823 Feb 3, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
Perfectly fulfilling the will of God since the Immaculate Conception:
http://www.catholicmemes.com/captions/catholi...
If You Tell me again you don't worship Mary , It would be a fib.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#419824 Feb 3, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
LTM
I know your doubts. Don't be afraid. The relationship I have with God, by His Grace is working, His Good Work....I have perfect peace.
What is truth?"

Answer: Almost two thousand years ago, Truth was put on trial and judged by people who were devoted to lies. In fact, Truth faced six trials in less than one full day, three of which were religious, and three that were legal. In the end, few people involved in those events could answer the question,“What is truth?”

After being arrested, the Truth was first led to a man named Annas, a corrupt former high priest of the Jews. Annas broke numerous Jewish laws during the trial, including holding the trial in his house, trying to induce self-accusations against the defendant, and striking the defendant, who had been convicted of nothing at the time. After Annas, the Truth was led to the reigning high priest, Caiaphas, who happened to be Annas’s son-in-law. Before Caiaphas and the Jewish Sanhedrin, many false witnesses came forward to speak against the Truth, yet nothing could be proved and no evidence of wrongdoing could be found. Caiaphas broke no fewer than seven laws while trying to convict the Truth:(1) the trial was held in secret; (2) it was carried out at night; (3) it involved bribery; (4) the defendant had no one present to make a defense for Him; (5) the requirement of 2-3 witnesses could not be met; (6) they used self-incriminating testimony against the defendant; (7) they carried out the death penalty against the defendant the same day. All these actions were prohibited by Jewish law. Regardless, Caiaphas declared the Truth guilty because the Truth claimed to be God in the flesh, something Caiaphas called blasphemy.

When morning came, the third trial of the Truth took place, with the result that the Jewish Sanhedrin pronounced the Truth should die. However, the Jewish council had no legal right to carry out the death penalty, so they were forced to bring the Truth to the Roman governor at the time, a man named Pontius Pilate. Pilate was appointed by Tiberius as the fifth prefect of Judea and served in that capacity A.D. 26 to 36. The procurator had power of life and death and could reverse capital sentences passed by the Sanhedrin. As the Truth stood before Pilate, more lies were brought against Him. His enemies said,“We found this man misleading our nation and forbidding to pay taxes to Caesar, and saying that He Himself is Christ, a King”(Luke 23:2). This was a lie, as the Truth had told everyone to pay their taxes (Matthew 22:21) and never spoke of Himself as a challenge to Caesar.

After this, a very interesting conversation between the Truth and Pilate took place.“Therefore Pilate entered again into the Praetorium, and summoned Jesus and said to Him,‘Are You the King of the Jews?’ Jesus answered,‘Are you saying this on your own initiative, or did others tell you about Me?’ Pilate answered,‘I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests delivered You to me; what have You done?’ Jesus answered,‘My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm.’ Therefore Pilate said to Him,‘So You are a king?’ Jesus answered,‘You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.’ Pilate said to Him,‘What is truth?’”(John 18:33–38).

Pilate’s question,“What is truth?” has reverberated down through history. Was it a melancholy desire to know what no one else could tell him, a cynical insult, or perhaps an irritated, indifferent reply to Jesus’ words?

In a postmodern world that denies that truth can be known, the question is more important than ever to answer. What is truth?
cont
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#419825 Feb 3, 2013
Rob:

Cont
A Proposed Definition of Truth

In defining truth, it is first helpful to note what truth is not:

• Truth is not simply whatever works. This is the philosophy of pragmatism – an ends-vs.-means-type approach. In reality, lies can appear to “work,” but they are still lies and not the truth.
• Truth is not simply what is coherent or understandable. A group of people can get together and form a conspiracy based on a set of falsehoods where they all agree to tell the same false story, but it does not make their presentation true.
• Truth is not what makes people feel good. Unfortunately, bad news can be true.
• Truth is not what the majority says is true. Fifty-one percent of a group can reach a wrong conclusion.
• Truth is not what is comprehensive. A lengthy, detailed presentation can still result in a false conclusion.
• Truth is not defined by what is intended. Good intentions can still be wrong.
• Truth is not how we know; truth is what we know.
• Truth is not simply what is believed. A lie believed is still a lie.
• Truth is not what is publicly proved. A truth can be privately known (for example, the location of buried treasure).

The Greek word for “truth” is aletheia, which literally means to “un-hide” or “hiding nothing.” It conveys the thought that truth is always there, always open and available for all to see, with nothing being hidden or obscured. The Hebrew word for “truth” is emeth, which means “firmness,”“constancy” and “duration.” Such a definition implies an everlasting substance and something that can be relied upon.

From a philosophical perspective, there are three simple ways to define truth:

1. Truth is that which corresponds to reality.
2. Truth is that which matches its object.
3. Truth is simply telling it like it is.

First, truth corresponds to reality or “what is.” It is real. Truth is also correspondent in nature. In other words, it matches its object and is known by its referent. For example, a teacher facing a class may say,“Now the only exit to this room is on the right.” For the class that may be facing the teacher, the exit door may be on their left, but it’s absolutely true that the door, for the professor, is on the right.

Truth also matches its object. It may be absolutely true that a certain person may need so many milligrams of a certain medication, but another person may need more or less of the same medication to produce the desired effect. This is not relative truth, but just an example of how truth must match its object. It would be wrong (and potentially dangerous) for a patient to request that their doctor give them an inappropriate amount of a particular medication, or to say that any medicine for their specific ailment will do.

In short, truth is simply telling it like it is; it is the way things really are, and any other viewpoint is wrong. A foundational principle of philosophy is being able to discern between truth and error, or as Thomas Aquinas observed, "It is the task of the philosopher to make distinctions."

cont
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#419826 Feb 3, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
Bolivar Baptist Church (Denton County, TX): Retains as its pastor a man whose "best" defense against a clergy molestation allegation was to say, "I didn't have sex with her when she was 16 or younger." The woman says he abused her starting when she was 14. But even if people believe the pastor as to the girl's age, is that the sort of man who should stand in a Baptist pulpit in a position of spiritual trust? The woman also has a paternity judgment against the pastor for the child she gave birth to at age 18. She had to get a paternity judgment in order to even get the pastor to financially support the kid that he fathered.
Branchville Baptist Church (Summerville, South Carolina): Hired a pastor who had a prior conviction for criminal sexual conduct with a minor.
Why don't you tell us about the catholic abuses in almost every diocese in america? Thousands of catholic priests who stood up in the pulpit at every mass telling catholics to never commit the sins that they have committed themselves.

Arch Diocese of Las Angeles in 2007 paid out $660 MILLION in lawsuits,$660 MILLION!! and today over 190 priests from the one diocese have their stories told right on the arch-diocese website.

Cardinal Gomez spanked Cardinal Mahony and relieved him of any catholic administrative duties just last week.

There is much infighting within the ranks of the catholic clergy.

Catholics need to pay attention.

UNBELIEVABLE!
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#419827 Feb 3, 2013
Rob
Cont

God and Truth

During the six trials of Jesus, the contrast between the truth (righteousness) and lies (unrighteousness) was unmistakable. There stood Jesus, the Truth, being judged by those whose every action was bathed in lies. The Jewish leaders broke nearly every law designed to protect a defendant from wrongful conviction. They fervently worked to find any testimony that would incriminate Jesus, and in their frustration, they turned to false evidence brought forward by liars. But even that could not help them reach their goal. So they broke another law and forced Jesus to implicate Himself.

Once in front of Pilate, the Jewish leaders lied again. They convicted Jesus of blasphemy, but since they knew that wouldn’t be enough to coax Pilate to kill Jesus, they claimed Jesus was challenging Caesar and was breaking Roman law by encouraging the crowds to not pay taxes. Pilate quickly detected their superficial deception, and he never even addressed the charge.

Jesus the Righteous was being judged by the unrighteous. The sad fact is that the latter always persecutes the former. It’s why Cain killed Abel. The link between truth and righteousness and between falsehood and unrighteousness is demonstrated by a number of examples in the New Testament:

• For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness”(2 Thessalonians 2:9–12, emphasis added).

•“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness”(Romans 1:18, emphasis added).

•“who will render to each person according to his deeds; to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation”(Romans 2:6–8, emphasis added).•“[love] does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth”(1 Corinthians 13:5–6, emphasis added).

What is truth?- Conclusion

The question Pontius Pilate asked centuries ago needs to be rephrased in order to be completely accurate. The Roman governor’s remark “What is truth?” overlooks the fact that many things can have the truth, but only one thing can actually be the Truth. Truth must originate from somewhere.

The stark reality is that Pilate was looking directly at the Origin of all Truth on that early morning over two thousand years ago. Not long before being arrested and brought to the governor, Jesus had made the simple statement “I am the truth”(John 14:6), which was a rather incredible statement. How could a mere man be the truth? He couldn’t be, unless He was more than a man, which is actually what He claimed to be. The fact is, Jesus’ claim was validated when He rose from the dead (Romans 1:4).

There’s a story about a man who lived in Paris who had a stranger from the country come see him. Wanting to show the stranger the magnificence of Paris, he took him to the Louvre to see the great art and then to a concert at a majestic symphony hall to hear a great symphony orchestra play. At the end of the day, the stranger from the country commented that he didn’t particularly like either the art or the music. To which his host replied,“They aren’t on trial, you are.” Pilate and the Jewish leaders thought they were judging Christ, when, in reality, they were the ones being judged. Moreover, the One they convicted will actually serve as their Judge one day, as He will for all who suppress the truth in unrighteousness.

cont
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#419828 Feb 3, 2013
RCC Superiority So BUSTED wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the link your provided...
http://cara.georgetown.edu/CARAServices/reque...
17% of world population is Catholic.
24% of these are reported as practicing Catholics.
.17 x .24 = about 4.1% of humanity is a practicing Catholic.
Therefore, either this RCC "one-true" claim is 100% baloney, or ...
Jesus died a horrific death in order to "save" 4.1% of humanity.
Ummmm? Let history and reality guide us to the truth.
The truth must be told.

The information I posted is right from roman catholic news sources.

How many of the 4.1% are really devout catholics? Maybe cut that in half.

BUSTED....again!
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#419829 Feb 3, 2013
Rob: Cont

Pilate evidently never came to a knowledge of the truth. Eusebius, the historian and Bishop of Caesarea, records the fact that Pilate ultimately committed suicide sometime during the reign of the emperor Caligula—a sad ending and a reminder for everyone that ignoring the truth always leads to undesired consequences.
truth

Perth, Australia

#419830 Feb 3, 2013
truth is so simple
i come tell them justice is not justice as Jesus tell them before..
asked what is bona fide what they used..
by
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#419831 Feb 3, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
Bolivar Baptist Church (Denton County, TX): Retains as its pastor a man whose "best" defense against a clergy molestation allegation was to say, "I didn't have sex with her when she was 16 or younger." The woman says he abused her starting when she was 14. But even if people believe the pastor as to the girl's age, is that the sort of man who should stand in a Baptist pulpit in a position of spiritual trust? The woman also has a paternity judgment against the pastor for the child she gave birth to at age 18. She had to get a paternity judgment in order to even get the pastor to financially support the kid that he fathered.
Branchville Baptist Church (Summerville, South Carolina): Hired a pastor who had a prior conviction for criminal sexual conduct with a minor.
Roman Catholic clergy abuse files just from Los Angeles Diocese.

Over 192 priests and bishops that we know of, not counting ones that catholics were afraid to report against, and the arch-bishop of the largest diocese in america, relieved of his administrative duties, for his own coverups..........slides quietly into retirement.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/01/us-...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/01/us/california-s...

....first it was Arch-diocese of Boston. Then last year arch-diocese of Philadelphia, now Los Angeles, which diocese is next?

.....sometimes the truth hurts, but the truth shall prevail.

UN-BELEIVABLE!
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#419832 Feb 3, 2013
Its obvious leaders of christian organizations have a perverted sub culture within.

Non christian religions must be aghast at what they read about catholic/protestant clergy sinful, criminal behavior.

No one to blame but themselves.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#419833 Feb 3, 2013
truth wrote:
truth is so simple
i come tell them justice is not justice as Jesus tell them before..
asked what is bona fide what they used..
by
Its too bad many of your roman catholic church leaders were not telling the "truth" for many years.

I understand the clergy abuse is just as bad in Australia.

truth trumps everything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 4 hr Mr Sir 8,723
Pope challenges Muslims to condemn violence Fri QUITTNER Dec 26 2014 4
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Dec 23 USA Born 83,901
Pope's role in Cuba deal fractures Cuban-Americ... Dec 23 woodtick57 4
Cuba Deal Is Major Victory for Pope's Diplomati... Dec 22 John 4
Vatican signals new tone on US nuns Dec 21 Raymond F Rice 2
Pope plays key role in Cuba-US policy shift Dec 21 Doc Proper 12
More from around the web