Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
404,341 - 404,360 of 532,626 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

No man can come to me, except it be given him of my Father; which is the same, as to be drawn by the Father; for faith in Christ is the gift of God, and coming to him, is owing to efficacious grace, and is not the produce of man's power and freewill. Gill
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

For though languages differ throughout the world, the content of the Tradition is one and the same. The Churches established in Germany have no other faith or Tradition, nor do those of the Iberians, nor those of the Celts, nor those of the East, of Egypt, of Libya, nor those established at the centre of the world...

-- St. Iranaeus, Adversus haereses
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

marge wrote:
No man can come to me, except it be given him of my Father; which is the same, as to be drawn by the Father; for faith in Christ is the gift of God, and coming to him, is owing to efficacious grace, and is not the produce of man's power and freewill. Gill
And that gift can be accepted or rejected. Therein lies our free will. God does not force His gift upon anyone.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>and what is ironic is that now robert F, a luke warm catholic, has now become their main voice of unreason.
robert has joined probably 5 different types of religious organizations in the last 10 years or so.
and probably soon, robert f will show the world how much he loves the catholic church and its truths by participating in self immolation, which would be comparable to the devotion that old iggie showed when he wanted to be killed, even tho he was afraid of those leopards. He wanted to die but he was afraid to be killed. go figure!
preston

Phili 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Matt 10:39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

Again Matt 16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Its time for you to be born again....If you are not prepared to die right now for the sake of faith in Christ, then you must be born again....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen
"If Angels could be jealous of men, it would be so for one reason: the Holy Eucharist"
Saint Maximillion Kolbe
Clay
Peace

Ah..., yes.

Before I was taught about the joining of heaven and earth in the Mass, I knew the angels were hovering above the Altar during the Liturgy....
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

jethro8 wrote:
LOS ANGELES (AP) Retired Roman Catholic Cardinal Roger Mahony defended his tattered legacy in a sharply worded letter to his successor, a day after Archbishop Jose Gomez stripped him of his administrative duties and bowed to a court order to release thousands of pages of confidential files on sexually abusive priests.
In a letter posted Friday on his personal blog, Mahony challenged Gomez for publicly shaming him and said he developed policies to safeguard children after taking over in 1985, despite being unequipped to deal with the molester priests he inherited.
Mahony had apologized two weeks ago after another release of similar files showed he and other top aides worked behind the scenes to protect the church from the growing scandal, keep offending clerics out of state and prevent public disclosure of sex crimes committed by priests.
Gomez was well aware when he took over in 2011 of the steps Mahony had taken to develop better clergy sex abuse policies and never questioned his leadership until Thursday, Mahony wrote.Gomez was well aware when he took over in 2011 of the steps Mahony had taken to develop better clergy sex abuse policies and never questioned his leadership until Thursday, Mahony wrote.
"Unfortunately, I cannot return now to the 1980s and reverse actions and decisions made then. But when I retired as the active archbishop, I handed over to you an archdiocese that was second to none in protecting children and youth," Mahony wrote.
The letter was remarkable because it revealed infighting between two highly placed church leaders when members of the Roman Catholic hierarchy rarely break ranks publicly, said the Rev. Thomas Doyle, a canon lawyer who worked for the Vatican's Washington, D.C., embassy who also has served as an expert witness for victims in clerical abuse cases.
"It is so rare because they stick together like glue," he said. "The fact that Gomez said what he said, this had to have been cleared by the Vatican, they had to have discussed this with the Vatican. Mahony took the fall."
continued.
Jethro.......

....We have been posting on here for the past 4 years that plenty of infighting is going on amongst the hirearchy in the catholic church. Scandal after scandal.

Most of it dealing with sexual abuse. The finger pointing has been going on for some time, and now for the first time its made it into public record for all to see.

There is no one to blame but mother church leaders themselves. They created this mess by lieing, deceiving and covering up the worst sins of all, while they continued telling REGINA, ANTHONY, HOJO, CLAY, to never commit such sins themselves.

The arch-diocese of Philadelphia just embarassed themselves last year when dozens of catholic priests were brought forward facing charges of sexual abuse. A monsignor went to prison for his part in covering up.

Catholics themselves have been made fools of, yet today they still sit on their hands and say........NOTHING!

Diocese after diocese will come under scruitny, as the TRUTH needs to be told, no matter how much it hurts.

Good reporting Jethro8....
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Beautiful, Clay! I'll always love the Traditional Latin Mass as it's the Mass of my childhood. The chanting is gorgeous, like Heaven on Earth. The incense makes me sneeze, though (lol). The Novus Ordo can be special, too. It depends on the celebrant. Some have such a gift of being so in tune with God; they never take the Mass for granted, it never becomes routine for them. Those are the Masses I love the best. We must pray for our priests.
The truth must be told. We know how much you love the truth.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/4b2957e...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to a Latin Sung Mass this morning. Very traditional. It was in a Chapel below Saint Agnes Church in St. Paul MN.
I felt like I was in a time warp. There is so much respect for sacred scriptures at the Catholic Mass in general. But especially at a Latin Sung Mass. Lots of incense and sung prayers.
Clay
Peace

Living in a rather rural area, I don't have the advantage of going to the High Mass. I have been to only one. It is something I will not forget. Very, very spiritually rich.
Former Roman Catholic

Bobtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

I was raised a Roman Catholic and once believed the RC Church was the one true church. I was taught one must be a Roman Catholic to have salvation and all others would go to hell, including Greek Catholics. Reading the Catholic Bible is what changed me. The truth is the Roman Catholic church has many beliefs and practices which are F-A-R from the truth found in the Bible. For all those who will read this post, examine the New Testament for yourself after you sincerely and humbly ask God for mercy and turn from your sins. Commit your life to Jesus to follow and serve him.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>And tell us did you find Salvation in those other religions ?
Mathew 5
7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
7th Day

There are truths through which one can converse with another person in another religion. And some of them have a very rich understanding.

But it is God the Judge of All Things; and His Knowing Salvation's Limit, and this humanity seeks, that through God's Goodness, shall accomplish His Will. So be it to this end in Jesus Christ.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth must be told. We know how much you love the truth.
http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/4b2957e...
Sounds like the new bishops appointed by the pope are doing what they're supposed to be doing by publically chastising former bishops who covered for abusive priests. And the guilty clergy are going to prison like they should be. This is a good news article Mike, thanks for linking it!
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Former Roman Catholic wrote:
I was raised a Roman Catholic and once believed the RC Church was the one true church. I was taught one must be a Roman Catholic to have salvation and all others would go to hell, including Greek Catholics. Reading the Catholic Bible is what changed me. The truth is the Roman Catholic church has many beliefs and practices which are F-A-R from the truth found in the Bible. For all those who will read this post, examine the New Testament for yourself after you sincerely and humbly ask God for mercy and turn from your sins. Commit your life to Jesus to follow and serve him.
You should post to HOJO and CLAY......they would love to hear from you.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
7th Day
There are truths through which one can converse with another person in another religion. And some of them have a very rich understanding.
But it is God the Judge of All Things; and His Knowing Salvation's Limit, and this humanity seeks, that through God's Goodness, shall accomplish His Will. So be it to this end in Jesus Christ.
Mercy Does Abound Thank Goddness !!!
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like the new bishops appointed by the pope are doing what they're supposed to be doing by publically chastising former bishops who covered for abusive priests. And the guilty clergy are going to prison like they should be. This is a good news article Mike, thanks for linking it!
To be clear Anthony. I don't care if its protestant ministers, jewish rabbis, walmart greeters, or boy scout leaders. If they have abused children or anyone and covered up to protect their empires and their own asses then they should all face the music.

Catholics have to be more vocal about their church leaders good or bad. Its long overdue.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, yes, the Blessed Mother bringing you straight to her Son. That is always her way, without fail. I've seen it happen time and time again. She will never lead us, her children, astray.
Auspice Maria
ReginaM

Actually, about 18 years ago, my mother was desperately worried over cancer. And I was for her too. She recovered and is still living..., to a very old age.

I think Jesus revealed to me his Mother about a year after this event, as a sign. She has been and is now so ever dear in my heart. And it was through the Rosary, I gained so much more knowledge insight into Jesus.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No one has EVER seen a Cardinal chastise another Cardinal in the public forum.

If Cardinal Mahony believes he hasn't done anything wrong then he should put ALL his cards on the table.

Remember Cardinals, bishops, priests........all have paying jobs because of you and all other catholics. Many catholics today believe they should have a little more input into the structure of the clergy and how it is governed. I believe that is long overdue.

Since: Nov 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
You, Michael, have replaced one of the 3 stooges as the new 21st century "slap-stick--stand up comedians with these last comments.
"I can't stand it --you say!!! First of all it makes no difference to me as to whether you are a Catholic or not. Since you have already "beligerently and hostily --REJECT" the One True Catholic
Church of Jesus Christ and have this "distorted axe-to-grind" hate-filled condemnation that has "obsessed you" over and over again against the Catholic Church, it only shows "how desperate" you have become. No Catholic on this forum or ANYWHERE for that matter, believes the "exaggerate anti-catholic trash articles" that have "consummed" your mind. heart and soul! You can continue "spinning your wheels' going around in circles as you always have, not going (anywhere) with this exaggerated anti-catholic trash. My family and I (as well as the 1.168 Billion Catholics around the world, will continue to worship and follow Jesus Christ, at daily Mass and in the Eucharist (each day) in Our lords One True Catholic Church!! You can do what you want---but continue praying for your hardened heart and misguided soul!!
!!
="hojo"]<quoted text>
No Catholic on this forum or ANYWHERE for that matter, believes the "exaggerate anti-catholic trash articles" JETHRO:you are wrong considering how many catholics that are leaving the church,they are closing churches like crazy, because catholics are believing the news stories,at least ones with their eyes open.that 1.168 billion number is not accurate,1 billion or less maybe.
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

It's a lovely church, quite unique, built in the 1890s, many interesting items including portrait of St Thomas More... it has a regular congregation of over a thousand every Sunday, lots of young people. But it's not particularly famous, and is in a very quiet side-road, with no passing traffic. Canon Brockie said " I often think I'd like to sit down with some of the people, especially all the 20- and 30-somethings, and just ask how they came to know about the church and why they started coming to Mass." He added that all the central London churches get large congregations. "The media just don't get it - whenever they show a church they always tend to show it empty with just a few people who have dropped in to pray. They never show a church on an ordinary Sunday."
Posted by Joanna Bogle at 12:47 am
http://joannabogle.blogspot.com/
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Fun Facts wrote:
I will bet the people who tested the host you speak of, were adevout roman catholics.

If you want to prove to everyone that every consecrated host turns into blood and flesh then save your host and take it to a university science lab and get the results. The results will be unleavened bread with a pinch of salt. GURANTEED BUSTED!

Every year dozens of roman catholic women around the world claim to see Jesus or Mary on their bread/toast, or highway overpass. They contact the media, thousands of BELIEVING pilgrims show up holding candles. Bad news is always reported. The most interesting part is that no one has any idea what this man Jesus or Mary would have looked like if they did ever exist, but catholics have engrained in their minds that Jesus looks just like the sacred heart of Jesus picture that was "made up" centuries ago and catholics WANT Jesus to look just like that. If they saw an image of a short man with a hunch back and big nose they would never call the media or attention to themselves that this was Jesus. Mary is always a young fair maiden wearing a blue shawl.

I say BUSTED!

Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Former Roman Catholic wrote:
Funny how ex-Catholics love to talk about gettin' saved, guaranteed heaven and not going to hell by turning protestant, yet here they are live posting on a discussion board.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 1 hr Ecko 8,126
More 18 hr True Christian witness 2
Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims ... 19 hr Abdurratln 2
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes 19 hr ELIAS IBARRA 41
In Manila, Catholics pray for smooth succession (Mar '13) Jul 21 Anonymous 102
Serbian patriarch reportedly opposed to canoniz... Jul 21 Marko 3
Newlywed El Pasoan meets Pope Francis Jul 18 Imperial Chicano 6
•••
•••