Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
404,301 - 404,320 of 532,771 Comments Last updated 9 min ago
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

he already except me on his CROSS
there its very nice
so beautiful
love there is complete

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
How this
John was born in Bethsaida on the Sea of Galilee.the son of Zebedee (Matthew 4:21) and Salome, who was apparently the sister of Mary, Jesus' mother. Compare the following two verses:
Mark 15:40 - There were also women looking on afar off: among whom was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the less and of Joses, and Salome;
John 19:25 - Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.
If Mary and Salome were sisters, John the Apostle and Jesus were first cousins. This would make him related to John the Baptist whose mother was Mary's cousin Elisabeth, see the story in Luke 1.
John was also the brother of James the Greater. Together they were often called after their father "the sons of Zebedee" and received from Christ the honorable title of Boanerges, i.e. "sons of thunder" (Mark 3:17).
LTM

Hmmm....Respectfully. Just look at where this thinking starts:

As the writer "assumes"....

"Salome, who was apparently the sister of Mary, Jesus' mother...."

Apparently...,apparently, apparently....(The writer meant assumed and used the word apparently)

What is happening here is a sort of desperation to come up with some kind of clever geneology of Jesus, John the Apostle, and John the Bapist....It is a necessary ingredient in so many of the divisions in Christianity to come up with some unique identity to hold together its adherents, rather than becoming part of the the One Mystical Body of Christ.

I have went along this way for a time. I think most Christians do seek to find some "secret" within the Bible that seems to satisfy for a time. But in the end is merely another idea, which the brain connects, and misses the main point which is the Love of God in Christ....

Of course I am not saying to not investigate or study the Bible, but this is a vain geneology.(Titus 3:9 "and foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about law, stand away from -- for they are unprofitable and vain.")
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>i post the history of the church that no one likes to talk about,they are very decieving people,they
Jethro8--you post --"zero"---true church history. It is just more of the same old (anti-catholic) "bogus and heretical" history that you "dug up" in some (obscure and remote website) written by either an ex-catholic, an agnostic or an atheists, who has an "axe to grind" with Jesus Christ and His One True Catholic Church. Deception??? Yes!!!----In your attempt to "deceive yourself" as you attempt to "deceive others"!!

Since: Nov 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
"if a child of yours was molested by a Priest, would you still defend the Catholic Church"
No, this Priest would make me dismiss all of Catholicism from top to bottom; from 33 AD - 2013 AD.
Man oh man Jethro.
Who can seriously respond to such ignorance spewing from your mouth?
jjust asking a simple question,you would dismiss catholocism,but since none of your children have been harmed,yet thousands of others have,that doesn't bother you? it must not since your still with the church,don't undrstand how anyone could do that.

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

LOS ANGELES (AP) Retired Roman Catholic Cardinal Roger Mahony defended his tattered legacy in a sharply worded letter to his successor, a day after Archbishop Jose Gomez stripped him of his administrative duties and bowed to a court order to release thousands of pages of confidential files on sexually abusive priests.

In a letter posted Friday on his personal blog, Mahony challenged Gomez for publicly shaming him and said he developed policies to safeguard children after taking over in 1985, despite being unequipped to deal with the molester priests he inherited.

Mahony had apologized two weeks ago after another release of similar files showed he and other top aides worked behind the scenes to protect the church from the growing scandal, keep offending clerics out of state and prevent public disclosure of sex crimes committed by priests.

Gomez was well aware when he took over in 2011 of the steps Mahony had taken to develop better clergy sex abuse policies and never questioned his leadership until Thursday, Mahony wrote.Gomez was well aware when he took over in 2011 of the steps Mahony had taken to develop better clergy sex abuse policies and never questioned his leadership until Thursday, Mahony wrote.

"Unfortunately, I cannot return now to the 1980s and reverse actions and decisions made then. But when I retired as the active archbishop, I handed over to you an archdiocese that was second to none in protecting children and youth," Mahony wrote.

The letter was remarkable because it revealed infighting between two highly placed church leaders when members of the Roman Catholic hierarchy rarely break ranks publicly, said the Rev. Thomas Doyle, a canon lawyer who worked for the Vatican's Washington, D.C., embassy who also has served as an expert witness for victims in clerical abuse cases.

"It is so rare because they stick together like glue," he said. "The fact that Gomez said what he said, this had to have been cleared by the Vatican, they had to have discussed this with the Vatican. Mahony took the fall."

continued.

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Gomez declined an interview request from The Associated Press.

The exchange also indicates the stress Mahony is under following several weeks of damaging disclosures of priest personnel files that reveal he and a top aide, Thomas Curry, who is now a bishop, maneuvered to shield priests from prosecution, kept parishioners in the dark and failed to call police about sex crimes against minors.

Gomez's public rebuke of Mahony, 76, for failing to take swift action against abusive priests adds tarnish to a career already overshadowed by the church sex abuse scandal, but it does little to change his role in the larger church.

The archbishop also accepted a resignation request from Curry, who most recently served as auxiliary bishop in charge of the archdiocese's Santa Barbara region.

The fallout will get worse as parishioners themselves begin to read the thousands of pages of documents that are now posted on the archdiocese website.

The files were to be released as part of a record-breaking $660 million settlement with more than 500 victims of sex abuse, but lawyers for the archdiocese and individual priests waged a five-year battle to keep them sealed. On Thursday, a judge ordered them released without significant redactions after attorneys for The Associated Press and Los Angeles Times intervened.

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

An attorney for the media organizations contacted the archdiocese Friday with concerns that certain documents were improperly redacted.

Several of the documents in the newly released files echo recurring themes that emerged over the past decade in dioceses nationwide, where church leaders moved problem priests between parishes and didn't call police.

Studies commissioned by the U.S. bishops found more than 4,000 U.S. priests have faced sexual abuse allegations since the early 1950s, in cases involving more than 10,000 children mostly boys.

In one instance, a draft of a plan with Mahony's name on it calls for sending a molester priest to his native Spain for a minimum of seven years, paying him $400 a month and offering health insurance. In return, the cardinal would agree to write the Vatican and ask them to cancel his excommunication, leaving the door open for him to return as a priest someday.In another case, Mahony resisted turning over a list of altar boys to police who were investigating claims against a visiting Mexican priest who was later determined to have molested 26 boys during a 10-month stint in Los Angeles. "We cannot give such a list for no cause whatsoever," he wrote on a January 1988 memo.

While Gomez's decision to strip Mahony of his administrative duties and reduce his public role was unprecedented in the American Roman Catholic Church, Mahony can still act as a priest, keep his rank as cardinal and remain on a critical Vatican panel that elects the next pope.

Victims were quick to point out the contrast between Mahony's pared-down local standing and his continued position as a cardinal who travels frequently to Rome and remains in good standing there.

The decision "is little more than window dressing. Cardinal Mahony is still a very powerful prelate," Joelle Casteix, the Western regional director of the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests, said at a Friday news conference outside the Los Angeles cathedral. "He's a very powerful man in Rome and still a very powerful man in Los Angeles."

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

The Vatican's former sex crimes prosecutor, Bishop Charles Scicluna, has said Canon Law provides for sanctioning bishops who show "malicious or fraudulent negligence" in their work, but he acknowledged that such laws have never been applied in the case of bishops who covered up sex abuse cases.

In the past, even high-ranking members of the church hierarchy who have spoken out about how senior church officials handled clergy abuse crisis have been rebuked by the Holy See.

In 2010, for example, Viennese Cardinal Cristoph Schoenborn criticized the former Vatican No. 2, Cardinal Angelo Sodano, in an interview for his handling of a notorious sex abuse case. Schoenborn didn't use Sodano's name in his critique but was nonetheless forced to come to Rome to explain himself to the pope and Sodano.

The Vatican publicly rebuked Schoenborn, saying that only the pope has authority to deal with accusations against a cardinal.

The Vatican's silence about Gomez's actions indicates that officials there were aware of it, said Patrick Wall, a former Benedictine monk and priest and vocal church critic who consults on clergy abuse cases.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me get this straight: Saint Ignatius, Disciple of the Apostle John, author of some very early Christian teachings, was arrested for being linked to the Apostles.(He was ordained a Bishop by John)
While en route to his execution, he penned a series of important writings, that the church still has to this day... One of them, he wrote asking his followers to not intervene as he went to the beasts, because he understood the cause he was dying for!
Fast forward to the 20th century. A man named Preston says his grandpa died; went to Heaven and spoke verbally to Jesus and the Apostles. Then, his grandpa came back to Earth to tell Preston that God had a big plan for him. He is to preach the New Testament. Because, since it wasn't available til the 15th century, people are confused to what Christ really wanted.
But that's not the funny part...
The funny part is: Preston calls Saint Ignatius a kook!!!
Clay
Peace

I gotta smile at this....

It seems preston's preference is for the O.T., so actually, it is a New Old Testament, or rather a Revised O.T., he preaches. I think it starts like this....

A LETTER TO THE PRESTONIANS

Paul, an Apostle, to you all. I am writing to you all, that the teachings of the Prestonians are an invention of a heretical mind....
RCC Superiority So BUSTED

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you could show us how Constantine (ism)
Dictated Catholicism?
Until then, save your silly lies for the victims in your compound.
DUH!!!!!!! Ever hear of the first Nicene Creed?

Yes, it can be said that Constantine dictated Catholicism.

PS -- imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>and what is ironic is that now robert F, a luke warm catholic, has now become their main voice of unreason.
robert has joined probably 5 different types of religious organizations in the last 10 years or so.
and probably soon, robert f will show the world how much he loves the catholic church and its truths by participating in self immolation, which would be comparable to the devotion that old iggie showed when he wanted to be killed, even tho he was afraid of those leopards. He wanted to die but he was afraid to be killed. go figure!
preston

lol....If I explore other religions, does not make me unfaithful? Or does it make me more open to see God in everyone?

But alas, for someone like you that equates being faithful to holding pride as a stubbornly opinionated virtue, how could I explain faith to you?

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Jethro8--you post --"zero"---true church history. It is just more of the same old (anti-catholic) "bogus and heretical" history that you "dug up" in some (obscure and remote website) written by either an ex-catholic, an agnostic or an atheists, who has an "axe to grind" with Jesus Christ and His One True Catholic Church. Deception??? Yes!!!----In your attempt to "deceive yourself" as you attempt to "deceive others"!!
since you just snipped a piece from my post and did not use the whole thing,nice attempt to make me look bad,like i said many times you can look up the same history i have and find exactly what i posted,and i see you left out the question i asked you,would you support the church if a child of yours was molested by a priest?? why won't you answer the question? clay was brave enough,are you afraid of the church? is that why you won't answer?
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>jjust asking a simple question,you would dismiss catholocism,but since none of your children have been harmed,yet thousands of others have,that doesn't bother you? it must not since your still with the church,don't undrstand how anyone could do that.
You don't understand because you're an ignorant bigot.
Why on Earth would I dismiss 2,000 yrs of Catholicism because 1% of her Priests committed abuse?

You're beyond ignorant my friend. There is no hope for any rational conversation with such ignorance.

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

history channel 3/3/13 the bible will be on check your time listings where you live.
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay
Peace
I gotta smile at this....
It seems preston's preference is for the O.T., so actually, it is a New Old Testament, or rather a Revised O.T., he preaches. I think it starts like this....
A LETTER TO THE PRESTONIANS
Paul, an Apostle, to you all. I am writing to you all, that the teachings of the Prestonians are an invention of a heretical mind....
Prestonians?? Lol.
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
preston
lol....If I explore other religions, does not make me unfaithful? Or does it make me more open to see God in everyone?
But alas, for someone like you that equates being faithful to holding pride as a stubbornly opinionated virtue, how could I explain faith to you?
I'm curious to what religions you explored, and have you settled on Catholicism for good?

Before I came back to the CC, I explored others too. I really didn't want to be Catholic. I even talked to the Mormons on a couple occasions. And I certainly had my scripture bludgeoning from the evangelicals as well. The last church I went to (I attended about 3 Sunday services) was the Methodist. What struck me as odd was how their services were similar to the Catholic Church. They even recite the Apostles Creed!
Anyway, I had too many questions that these Protesters and born agains avoid. They can not answer them logically.
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Today is the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord
Mass Scripture Readings:

Malachi 3: 1 - 4
1 "Behold, I send my messenger to prepare the way before me, and the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant in whom you delight, behold, he is coming, says the LORD of hosts.
2 But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears? "For he is like a refiner's fire and like fullers' soap;
3 he will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, till they present right offerings to the LORD.
4 Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the LORD as in the days of old and as in former years.

Psalms 24: 7 - 10
7 Lift up your heads, O gates! and be lifted up, O ancient doors! that the King of glory may come in.
8 Who is the King of glory? The LORD, strong and mighty, the LORD, mighty in battle!
9 Lift up your heads, O gates! and be lifted up, O ancient doors! that the King of glory may come in.
10 Who is this King of glory? The LORD of hosts, he is the King of glory![Selah]---------
(Continued...)
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

The Feast of the Presentation of the Lord

Mass Scripture Readings (Continued...)

Hebrews 2: 14 - 18
14 Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same nature, that through death he might destroy him who has the power of death, that is, the devil,
15 and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong bondage.
16 For surely it is not with angels that he is concerned but with the descendants of Abraham.
17 Therefore he had to be made like his brethren in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make expiation for the sins of the people.
18 For because he himself has suffered and been tempted, he is able to help those who are tempted.

Luke 2: 22 - 40
22 And when the time came for their purification according to the law of Moses, they brought him up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord
23 (as it is written in the law of the Lord, "Every male that opens the womb shall be called holy to the Lord")
24 and to offer a sacrifice according to what is said in the law of the Lord, "a pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons."
25 Now there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon, and this man was righteous and devout, looking for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him.
26 And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he should not see death before he had seen the Lord's Christ.
27 And inspired by the Spirit he came into the temple; and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him according to the custom of the law,
28 he took him up in his arms and blessed God and said,
29 "Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word;
30 for mine eyes have seen thy salvation
31 which thou hast prepared in the presence of all peoples,
32 a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to thy people Israel."
33 And his father and his mother marveled at what was said about him;
34 and Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, "Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is spoken against
35 (and a sword will pierce through your own soul also), that thoughts out of many hearts may be revealed."
36 And there was a prophetess, Anna, the daughter of Phan'u-el, of the tribe of Asher; she was of a great age, having lived with her husband seven years from her virginity,
37 and as a widow till she was eighty-four. She did not depart from the temple, worshiping with fasting and prayer night and day.
38 And coming up at that very hour she gave thanks to God, and spoke of him to all who were looking for the redemption of Jerusalem.
39 And when they had performed everything according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own city, Nazareth.
40 And the child grew and became strong, filled with wisdom; and the favor of God was upon him.
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Belief in the Eucharist is a treasure we must seek by submissiveness, preserve by piety, and defend at any cost. Not to believe in the Blessed Sacrament is the greatest of misfortunes.

-- St Peter Emyard

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

JOHN wrote:
I see that the cowboy is still at spreading his lies. As a Catholic I find his answers as offensive but to argue with him is fruitless. Take car JOHN
what lies did I tell JOHN> be specif and use my quote.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 1 hr Gee-Tee 8,146
More Thu True Christian witness 2
Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims ... Thu Abdurratln 2
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Thu ELIAS IBARRA 41
In Manila, Catholics pray for smooth succession (Mar '13) Jul 21 Anonymous 102
Serbian patriarch reportedly opposed to canoniz... Jul 21 Marko 3
Newlywed El Pasoan meets Pope Francis Jul 18 Imperial Chicano 6
•••
•••