Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 548,486
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#419461 Feb 1, 2013
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>I have to disagree with you and Preston.
Read Luke 1
Mary's Visit to Elizabeth
39And Mary arose in those days, and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Judah;
40And entered into the house of Zachariah, and greeted Elizabeth.
41And it came to pass, that, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit:
42And she spoke out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.
43And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
44For, lo, as soon as the voice of your greeting sounded in my ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.
45And blessed is she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord.
Mary's Song
46And Mary said, My soul does magnify the Lord,
47And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
48For he has regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
49For he that is mighty has done to me great things; and holy is his name.
50And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation.
51He has showed strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
52He has put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree.
53He has filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he has sent empty away.
54He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy;
55As he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his descendants forever.
56And Mary abode with her about three months, and returned to her own house.
7th I know Mary knew, the angel told her as well that she was going to give birth to the Messiah.
We were discussing in Matthew 12:46-50,
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#419462 Feb 1, 2013
"Did Jesus have brothers and sisters (siblings)?"

Answer: Jesus’ brothers are mentioned in several Bible verses. Matthew 12:46, Luke 8:19, and Mark 3:31 say that Jesus’ mother and brothers came to see Him. The Bible tells us that Jesus had four brothers: James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas (Matthew 13:55). The Bible also tells us that Jesus had sisters, but they are not named or numbered (Matthew 13:56). In John 7:1-10, His brothers go on to the festival while Jesus stays behind. In Acts 1:14, His brothers and mother are described as praying with the disciples. Galatians 1:19 mentions that James was Jesus’ brother. The most natural conclusion of these passages is to interpret that Jesus had actual blood half-siblings.

Some Roman Catholics claim that these “brothers” were actually Jesus’ cousins. However, in each instance, the specific Greek word for “brother” is used. While the word can refer to other relatives, its normal and literal meaning is a physical brother. There was a Greek word for “cousin,” and it was not used. Further, if they were Jesus’ cousins, why would they so often be described as being with Mary, Jesus’ mother? There is nothing in the context of His mother and brothers coming to see Him that even hints that they were anyone other than His literal, blood-related, half-brothers.

A second Roman Catholic argument is that Jesus’ brothers and sisters were the children of Joseph from a previous marriage. An entire theory of Joseph's being significantly older than Mary, having been previously married, having multiple children, and then being widowed before marrying Mary is invented without any biblical basis. The problem with this is that the Bible does not even hint that Joseph was married or had children before he married Mary. If Joseph had at least six children before he married Mary, why are they not mentioned in Joseph and Mary’s trip to Bethlehem (Luke 2:4-7) or their trip to Egypt (Matthew 2:13-15) or their trip back to Nazareth (Matthew 2:20-23)?

There is no biblical reason to believe that these siblings are anything other than the actual children of Joseph and Mary. Those who oppose the idea that Jesus had half-brothers and half-sisters do so, not from a reading of Scripture, but from a preconceived concept of the perpetual virginity of Mary, which is itself clearly unbiblical:“But he (Joseph) had no union with her (Mary) until she gave birth to a son. And he gave Him the name Jesus”(Matthew 1:25). Jesus had half-siblings, half-brothers and half-sisters, who were the children of Joseph and Mary. That is the clear and unambiguous teaching of God’s Word.
gotquestions.ca

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#419463 Feb 1, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen Preston, I believe that Mary and Jesus' brothers came to that place to get Him to stop preaching, He had became an embrassment to them.
to a certain extent, I find that very believeable. many mothers dont like the idea of their sons becoming ministers and they find it to be uncomfortable for them since oftimes,we ministers are not well liked and so this talk hurts the moms..

I had an aunt who was very distressed and embarressed that her son dropped out of OSU and began to play music for a living. but when his band became well known nationally(vince gill played with them for several years), she became his greatest booster.

John did finish college after he had so much trouble with his back and now has a degree in electrical engineering

Location hidden

#419464 Feb 1, 2013
7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>I have to disagree with you and Preston.
Read Luke 1
Mary's Visit to Elizabeth
BEFORE THE FACT, STUPID.

before the fact.you show a remarkable disdain for Christianity but it is no wonder.

Location hidden

#419465 Feb 1, 2013
marge wrote:
53When Jesus had finished these parables, he moved on from there. 54Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed.“Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?” they asked. 55“Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? 56Aren’t all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?” 57And they took offense at him.
But Jesus said to them,“Only in his hometown and in his own house is a prophet without honor.”
58And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.
But Jesus said to them,“Only in his hometown and in his own house is a prophet without honor.”

thanks for showing these people like the sda, anthony and dustmop that there was a reality that His family was embarressed by Him, and it took some time before she did accept his Calling, EVEN THO SHE WAS TOLD WHEN HE WAS 12.
rider

Gwinn, MI

#419466 Feb 1, 2013

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#419468 Feb 1, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
lol, I believe you're right! It really is very, very recent. All this born-again, bible only, fundie movement has only been around since what, the 60s? It's like a parody of Christianity. They should be ashamed of themselves. They treat Christ like He's one of their next door neighbor; a regular guy, a real pal! They have no respect whatsoever. There's no worship and adoration of God. He's no different than one of their bowling buddies.
The author of the article I've been quoting about the "Multiple Errors of Protestantism" hit the nail on the head when he said that "their hatred for the Catholic Church is greater than their love for GOD and for the truth, and that all they are really interested in is their own agenda." Pitiful.
ReginaM

I think there are exceptions to the rule, but in general, the act of worship and adoration was lost a long time ago for the Protestants. Its all a matter of advertising and salesmanship for the Prostestants now....At least in the sense as Catholics know when they enter a worship space, the sense of worship, and not a large screen and a bully pulpit.

The rather broad multiple views on the worship of non-Catholics makes it hard to pinpoint an exact definition of worship and adoration for them. But it does seem rather shallow...,just getting the feet wet, compared to the rich history of Catholicism and all the great writings on worship and adoration by the saints....

Instead, the anti-Catholic bias of Protestant commentaries on the scriptures, written by the "experts", have much the same to say on the scriptures. True Catholics can go to these commentaries and pick up some information. But it pales in comparison to the writings of the religous, and saints....
rider

Gwinn, MI

#419469 Feb 1, 2013
The Ku Klux Klan was basically based in the south of America. Here they targeted those set free after the American Civil War - the African Americans. The KKK had never considered the former slaves as being free and terrorised Africa American families based in the South. America experienced great economic prosperity during the 1920's but not much of it filtered to the South. Racism mixed with anger at their economic plight formed a potent cocktail.

Many different groups had emigrated to America over the years. One group - the Blacks - had been brought there against their will and after the success of the northern states during the Civil War and the freeing of the Blacks from slavery in 1865, a sinister group was established which was designed to spread fear throughout the Black population that still lived in the southern states. This was the KKK. Only WASP’s could belong to it — White Anglo-Saxon Protestants. It is a common myth that the KKK targeted only the Blacks - also hated were the Jews, Catholics, liberals etc but most hatred was directed against the poor black families in the south who were very vulnerable to attack.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#419470 Feb 1, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>I can whine all that I please. it is still a free country. and if I take one horse, Do I allow the others to starve? will you feed them and take care of them?
but in a few months, the weather will change and I can lay outside in my hammock and enjoy the breeze, and anthony and you will still be freezing
Cowboy says.....and you will still be freezing.

Michael says.......you live less than 300 miles from me. We get the same weather as you..........without all the polution "cough" cough!!
Hit And Run

Oklahoma City, OK

#419471 Feb 1, 2013
Anyone on here understanding the name change And how man changed the creators name and made him a god...when his name is Yahweh ....And is not A god.

And what do you think revelation 12/9 means.
rider

Gwinn, MI

#419472 Feb 1, 2013
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#419473 Feb 1, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think we should do away with defense attorneys, juries, trials, judges...just scrap the whole judicial system as soon as a priest is accused.
I'll tell you what I would support...if any priest is found guilty of abuse or any bishop of covering for them, after doing time and being laitized, they should be held liable for all of the costs associated with the trial, defense, prosecution, pay full resititution to the victims, work off their civil judgements in soup lines, cleaning hospitals, etc. How 'bout that?
Anthony says.....

.......if any priest is found guilty of abuse or any bishop of covering for them, after doing time and being laitized, they should be held liable for all of the costs associated with the trial, defense, prosecution, pay full resititution to the victims, work off their civil judgements in soup lines, cleaning hospitals, etc. How 'bout that?

Michael says.......but they don't! and every week dollar bills are taken from collection plates across america to subsidize the costs of these trials and settlements, paid for by catholics. Catholics who committed no sins or criminal activity themselves.

If a priest was wrongfully charged, I would have no problem with helping pay for his legal costs.

The bigger issue is that catholics like yourself remain silent when such topics should be brought to the attention of your bishops.

If catholics believe their dollars are earmarked to charities, they better learn that not all their hard earned dollars go there.

There is only ONE payer of everything catholic. That is the follower. Its time to demand ACCOUNTABILITY.

The hard questions to your church leaders need to be addressed, but catholics have still not got to that point yet.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#419474 Feb 1, 2013
LTM wrote:
And God will say begone, for I never knew you.
Your pride and desire to please the catholic church and follow the teachings of a false doctrine.
Speak out against Gods Holy Word when presented to you.
Takes priority over your love for Almighty God .
In the verse where the Mother of Jesus and His brothers come and visit Jesus and He said who is my Mother or brothers, If your saying the brothers and sisters where being lumped in with the rest of the crowd or that they were actually Jesus's cousins.
with that train of thought how do we know then that the woman the disciples called Jesus's Mother was actually His mother.
"REMEMBER JESUS SAID MATTHEW 12: 46-50 WHO IS MY MOTHER WHO IS MY BROTHER'S'" POINTING AT HIS DISCIPLES JESUS SAID BEHOLD MY MOTHER AND MY BROTHERS!FOR WHO SO EVER SHALL DO THE WILL OF MY FATHER WHO IS IN HEAVEN ; HE IS MY BROTHER , MY SISTER, AND MY MOTHER.
WAS IT BECAUSE HE WASN'T RECOGNIZING MARY AS HIS MOTHER THEN.
LTM

I don't understand what you are trying to write?

But for the Catholic, knowing Matt 1, and that Mary said,"Be it done unto me according to your word...", she did the Will of God more perfectly, by faith, than any other person could ever in all of history..., that she is for us a model of faith, and humility to the Will of God to imitate....

It is for this reason, the Blessed Mary's Son, would give us the opportunity to be called to be mother, brother, or sister to him if we do the Will of God....

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#419475 Feb 1, 2013
is this working?? why will it not show up??
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#419476 Feb 1, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think we should do away with defense attorneys, juries, trials, judges...just scrap the whole judicial system as soon as a priest is accused.
I'll tell you what I would support...if any priest is found guilty of abuse or any bishop of covering for them, after doing time and being laitized, they should be held liable for all of the costs associated with the trial, defense, prosecution, pay full resititution to the victims, work off their civil judgements in soup lines, cleaning hospitals, etc. How 'bout that?
Anthony says....

........if any priest is found guilty of abuse or any bishop of covering for them, after doing time and being laitized, they should be held liable for all of the costs associated with the trial, defense, prosecution, pay full resititution to the victims, work off their civil judgements in soup lines, cleaning hospitals, etc. How 'bout that?

Michael says......but they don't! They buy a condo in Florida, or such as Cardinal Bernard Law, the pope moves him to the vatican, promotes him to be in charge of a Basilica, and makes $10 grand a month. If you want that information I will post it to you.

Where is your voice of anger Anthony? Why aren't you speaking out like me?

Your church will continue to spin its wheels until catholics themselves start feeling the pain, then maybe all this can be put behind us.
Garlic man

Troy, OH

#419477 Feb 1, 2013
jacksonherer wrote:
is this working?? why will it not show up??
Try garlic. It works wonders!

Since: Nov 08

usa

#419478 Feb 1, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
On the other hand, "anything that the Church (does, believes or teaches)" is (wrong or despicable) with you because of your "hatred and hostility" that has corrupted your heart, mind and soul for the TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His biblically and historically PROVEN One True Apostolic Catholic Church. "Your loss" as a (Protestant, agnostic or atheists) or "whatever you are" ----is "Ours and Christs gain" !!!!! We, as Catholics continue to pray for your hostile souls each day, at daily Mass, that Our lord will "open your eyes" to the TRUTH of His Salvation and healing, through Jesus Christ (in and through) the Holy Spirit of His One True Catholic Church.
i see you avoided my question again,what if a priest molested a child of yours,how would you feel and do? what ever traditions the catholic church teaches is non-biblical so it's meaningless,confession,daily mass. etc. all meaningless except to bring people into the church to make money,we know for a fact that it is a lie thatr confessing to a priest will not save you or anything,1 timothy 2:5 proves that,gods strictly forbids praying to others,yet you do,you even make idols,un-authorized changing of the commandments,and the sabbath,the papal chair was bought and sold,favors were bought,bank fraud,money laundering millions of killings,molestings right up to the papal chair. if i wanted the healing of jesus christ i certainly would not go through a corrupt church to do it,I'd go directly to jesus himself as is written inthe bible and pray to him and his church in heaven(if the theory were true),would not go to a heathenistic church as bad as the catholic church,that's more like praying to the devil,not jesus.YOU have no biblical/scriptural proof the catholic church is the true church because it's a lie,only the blind don't seeit.

usa

#419479 Feb 1, 2013
ohnonothimagain wrote:
I was Catholic for over 40 years(no longer), and while I haven't read every single post here-I have an big objection for the Pope to declare that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true Church. I don't believe that I have to pray the rosary and pray to Mary to get God to listen to me. The Bible says the ONLY way to the Father is thru the SON. Jesus said when he died, "IT IS FINISHED"...He never talked about Purgatory anywhere in the scripture. Unless you read a CATHOLIC Bible. He told his Disciples to go fulfill the great commission. That is to make Disciples of others. How a Church that has blatantly shoved Child Predators into the background for years, and denied there's a problem can call itself the one true Church is blasphemy in my book. Thousands, maybe tens of thousands of poor INNOCENT boys molested by Priests forced to be celibate by a Church who condones pedophiles to stay in their ranks? This isn't the Church that Jesus founded. And the excuse that Peter was the first Pope just because Jesus said, "And I also say to you that you are Peter (petros), and on this rock (petra) I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." Agreeing with this, the statement written by Paul in 1 Cor. 3:11, "For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ." Likewise, in Ephesians 2:20 - "And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief corner-stone."
Peter WASN'T the Rock or cornerstone-Jesus was talking about the Singular Church that was/is ONE body of believers.
The word "Church" in this statement is singular. He said, "I will build My church." He didn't promise to set up a vast conglomeration of denominational bodies; he didn't say, "I will build my churches." There is one church! "The body" in Ephesians 1:22,23 is singular. "There is one body," (Eph. 4:4), and "...by one spirit we were all baptized into one body," (1 Cor. 12:12,13).
Yes-there is and should be only ONE TRUE CHURCH. One that Jesus himself set into motion. One body of believers united. Jesus never intended for there to be thousands of Churches nor thousands of people divided. The Catholic Church wants people to believe that they are the one true Church to keep the coffers filled and people under their control. Jesus didn't die for you or me for me to live in fear of purgatory. That alone shows me someone is wrong. Is it God and his word-or the fallacy/control on which the Catholic Church wants people to be scared of? There is NO purgatory-I don't need to pray to Mary to get access to God. I don't need a gaudy and rich Pope to tell me how to live my life. I don't need a Church to tell me that it's the one true Church. God's body of believers are the one true Church.
very well said and correct if the theory is true.
Klink

Cameron, MO

#419480 Feb 1, 2013
rider wrote:
This was the KKK. Only WASP’s could belong to it — White Anglo-Saxon Protestants. It is a common myth that the KKK targeted only the Blacks - also hated were the Jews, Catholics, liberals etc but most hatred was directed against the poor black families in the south who were very vulnerable to attack.

The Catholics like to believe this. They write books making these false claims edited of any truth.

The KKK were founded after the Civil War to drive the newly freed blacks away from anything Christian, using burning crosses and other FEAR tactics. The Catholic Church has many military knights. One of these are the Templars who would become the Freemasons who then founded the Knights of the KKK (Albert Pike and cohorts).

Interesting that while it was claimed the KKK were anti-Catholic they never actually did anything anti-Catholic.

all this and more..

• the U.S. Civil War

http://protocolshistory.blogspot.com/2010/09/...

usa

#419481 Feb 1, 2013
as i expected,hjo,regina,clay and anthony did not answer my question,if one of their children was molested by a priest,would they still be here defending the catholic church like they are? WHY NO ANSWER PEOPLE!?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 8 hr Married in 8,512
Pope Francis leaves the beatification ceremony ... 15 hr Belle Sexton 11
Selfies with Pope Francis cardboard cutouts pop... Sat ELIAS IBARRA 6
Catholic bishops take first step toward accepta... Oct 16 Mychihuahuawillbite 2
Pope Francis shows strong, unique leadership fo... Oct 15 Gremlin 2
Gradualism and Holiness Oct 15 RevKen 1
The Pope's Criticism Of Capitalism Has One Weal... (Jan '14) Oct 10 QUITTNER Oct 10 2014 8

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE