Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
403,961 - 403,980 of 533,041 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
Chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never claimed to be an authority on interpreting scripture, especially Revelation. That's a protestant thing. What I can tell you is that protestants, even the ones who claim to infallibly interpret scripture, don't agree that the woman in Revelation always references Israel. Again, you seem to be the exception. lol.
This was your verse to prove the assumption of Mary:

Revelation 12:1 And a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.

and then 4 verses down you believe it's still Mary and your arguement now is you are no an authority on interpreting scripture.

**huh**
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I get it Tony. If catholics don't believe the bible is the only/final authority, their popes can make up doctrines so catholics can be under their authority.
-assumption of Mary and my new favorite...all who follow her Son are her offspring.
hee hee
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
The Greek word for "rather" is "menounge." Menounge really means "Yes, but in addition," or "Further." Thus, Jesus is saying, yes my mother is blessed indeed, but further blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it. Jesus is encouraging others to follow Mary's example in order to build up His kingdom.
Silly wabbit! Take your pole out of the water, you're catching nothing but weeds!
All Christians are not blessed unless they DO the will of God. Not doing very well for someone who claims to follow scripture alone, Charles. It might help if you actually knew what Scripture was saying.
This is too funny to comment on.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said it did either.
I said the Woman in Revelation 12 is Israel.
You said? Other sola scriptura protestants say you're wrong.
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I get it Tony. If catholics don't believe the bible is the only/final authority, their popes can make up doctrines so catholics can be under their authority.
-assumption of Mary and my new favorite...all who follow her Son are her offspring.
Mary is our spiritual Mother. We approach her the way Jesus did. We try and imitate Christ by honoring His Mother. This isn't new.

"Woman, behold your son. Then He said to the disciple, son, behold your Mother. And from that hour he took Mary into his home"
John 19: 26-27

BTW, on a side note: if Mary had all these other children .. Why would Jesus entrust someone other than His siblings to take their Mom in?
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
The Beatitudes; Jesus' Sermon on the Mountian is in Matthew 5 Regina not Luke
Alright, I've stopped laughing (for the time being).

Do you know what the word 'beatitude' means? Do you know that it is a proper noun, as in the Beatitudes from the Sermon on the Mount, but is also just a 'plain old noun' and is used in Christian theology as such, and has been for 2,000 years?

III. CHRISTIAN BEATITUDE

1720 The New Testament uses several expressions to characterize the beatitude to which God calls man:

- the coming of the Kingdom of God;16 - the vision of God: "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God"17

- entering into the joy of the Lord;18

- entering into God's rest:19

There we shall rest and see, we shall see and love, we shall love and praise. Behold what will be at the end without end. For what other end do we have, if not to reach the kingdom which has no end?20

1721 God put us in the world to know, to love, and to serve him, and so to come to paradise. Beatitude makes us "partakers of the divine nature" and of eternal life.21 With beatitude, man enters into the glory of Christ22 and into the joy of the Trinitarian life.

1722 Such beatitude surpasses the understanding and powers of man. It comes from an entirely free gift of God: whence it is called supernatural, as is the grace that disposes man to enter into the divine joy.

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." It is true, because of the greatness and inexpressible glory of God, that "man shall not see me and live," for the Father cannot be grasped. But because of God's love and goodness toward us, and because he can do all things, he goes so far as to grant those who love him the privilege of seeing him.... For "what is impossible for men is possible for God."23

1723 The beatitude we are promised confronts us with decisive moral choices. It invites us to purify our hearts of bad instincts and to seek the love of God above all else. It teaches us that true happiness is not found in riches or well-being, in human fame or power, or in any human achievement - however beneficial it may be - such as science, technology, and art, or indeed in any creature, but in God alone, the source of every good and of all love:
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive...

One example of the use of the word 'beatitude'.
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
To non-Christians, yes it is funny.

Give it up, LTM. You're biblically illiterate.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
This was your verse to prove the assumption of Mary:
Revelation 12:1 And a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.
and then 4 verses down you believe it's still Mary and your arguement now is you are no an authority on interpreting scripture.
**huh**
I'm giving you an interpretation of the Church.

"Revelation is apocalyptic literature unique to the 1st century. It contains varied symbolism and multiple meanings of the woman (Mary, the Church and Israel)." The Catholic Church does not base her teachings on Mary strictly from Revelation as it is a difficult book to interpret.

Here's why your so comical. You, a bible alone protestant, is deciding you can infallibly interpret something in direct contradiction to ther sola scriptura protestants. If you guys can't agree on who the woman is, why do you feel you can tell us who the woman is?
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary is our spiritual Mother. We approach her the way Jesus did. We try and imitate Christ by honoring His Mother. This isn't new.
"Woman, behold your son. Then He said to the disciple, son, behold your Mother. And from that hour he took Mary into his home"
John 19: 26-27
BTW, on a side note: if Mary had all these other children .. Why would Jesus entrust someone other than His siblings to take their Mom in?
It's like something out of the DuhVinci Code. Can you imagine other children walking around with the same DNA as Jesus? These folks actually have no problem with this. Absurd! No wonder protestantism is a heresy!
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Most protestants adhere to sola scriptura. I guess you're an exception.
Why 'use' anything else? Because the gospel was preached orally for a decade or more before a single passage of the NT was written. The oral preaching of the Word of God by the same men who wrote the NT is no less valuable than the written Word of God. That's why.
Oh but it is less valuable as we see here;

3Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.

To be 'Certain' we go with what is Written.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
hee hee
I would suggest laying off the weed for awhile since it's giving you the giggles.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
3Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.
So you wouldn't have been certain of the oral preaching of Sts. Peter and Paul or the other apostles unless they wrote it down.

Actually, I think think the only preaching you're certain of is your own. Quit drinking the bong water marge.
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
What is written came from what was orally taught.
The bible is the written portion of Tradition.
Sorry, Marge.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I would suggest laying off the weed for awhile since it's giving you the giggles.
Really Tony???

You're better than that
Pad

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Interesting NEWS from Chiapas, M e x i c o.

Both Voice of the Martyrs, and Amnesty International have reported that hundreds of Mexican evangelicals were forced out of their homes and their homes were torched.The families have gone to a barn to live,very limited space. The evangelicals have been threatened with murder,one pastor actually was killed and beheaded.Several evangelical women were raped.

The perpetrators are called traditionalist Catholics,who practice a mixed form of Catholicism and animism,Which is allowed in the RCCs in Chiapas.I wonder what the Eucharist is in light of those Mexican Catholics,who are the majority there,and are taking part in making life miserable for the evangelicals?

Sorry folks but Catholicism is ripe for mixture with pagan cultures,not evangelicals.NOT surprised at all of those events.I always ask when?

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You said? Other sola scriptura protestants say you're wrong.
I have yet to see where one protestant on this forum disagrees with that statemnt that the woman is Israel

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
To non-Christians, yes it is funny.
Give it up, LTM. You're biblically illiterate.
But I am not and Jesus was not inferring what you are assumming
Clay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
It's like something out of the DuhVinci Code. Can you imagine other children walking around with the same DNA as Jesus? These folks actually have no problem with this. Absurd! No wonder protestantism is a heresy!
I heard someone explain it well. I think it was Madrid or Hahn. If Jesus entrusted the care of His Mother to someone other than His siblings, it would have been basically illegal under Jewish law and totally outside of all cultural norm of that period.(Heck, its even rare today) His supposed siblings would not have their Mother go with anyone but them. And Christ would not offend his brothers and sisters like that.

These folks on here are Conspiracy Christians. They are so hell bent on separating themselves from Catholicism that they threw out all logic.
Lol, the duhVinci code is right.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>I have yet to see where one protestant on this forum disagrees with that statemnt that the woman is Israel
Many protestants say the woman represents the Church.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
reg is being just alittle deceitful it also means [NAY, BUT RATHER]. AND THAT IS THE USAGE IN THE BIBLE.

He replied, "Blessed [rather[ are those who hear the word of God and obey it."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 10 hr Ecko 8,182
Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims ... Jul 26 Link Forrester 3
More Jul 24 True Christian witness 2
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Jul 24 ELIAS IBARRA 41
In Manila, Catholics pray for smooth succession (Mar '13) Jul 21 Anonymous 102
Serbian patriarch reportedly opposed to canoniz... Jul 21 Marko 3
Newlywed El Pasoan meets Pope Francis Jul 18 Imperial Chicano 6
•••
•••