Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
403,901 - 403,920 of 533,008 Comments Last updated 4 min ago
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

ReginaM wrote:
Catholics do not believe in soul sleep!
The False Doctrine of "Soul Sleep" and Prayers To, For, and From the Dead: the Biblical Evidence Confirms Catholic Belief
Consciousness after death is clearly taught in Scripture. For example: the soul is described as a separate entity from the body:
http://socrates58.blogspot.com/2007/11/false-...
Do catholics believe in paying large sums of MONEY for indulgences, to lessen ones time in purgatory?

....As the Church believed in the unbiblical idea of purgatory 5- 600 years ago, roman catholic priests sold certificates called Indulgences to unsuspecting grieving loved ones of those who had died, and, for a large sum of money,'guaranteed' a certain number of years less in purgatory for their loved one, as the priest would pray for his or her soul. Many priests just pocketed the money and ended up very wealthy.

Oh! you didn't know this went 500 years ago in your church Regina M.?

Now you know the REST OF THE STORY!......and you are OK with that.

Money, Power, Control, Corruption in 2013, just as it was in the past.

UNBELIEVABLE!
Chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No mention of justification by faith ALONE, or verses saying bible alone or the inspired table of contents. Anyway....
"And a great sign appeared in heaven: A woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars."
"Arise, O Lord, into your resting place: you and the ark, which you have sanctified."
Don't debate the passages I gave Chuck, you don't have the authority.
I thought by giving you the meaning of justification it would help...guess not.

I won't debate..I'll just tell you the truth. The Woman is Israel not Mary.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

7th Day Catholics Rock wrote:
<quoted text>Amen
Ephesians 2:8-9
King James Version (KJV)
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Romans 10:17
So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.
----------
1 Thessalonians 2:13 And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe.
----------
Hebrews 4:2 For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith.
"Do you see that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only?"
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Spin it any way you want, Catholics by the millions didn't just wake up one morning and say, lets follow Luther.
.....something is terribly wrong HOJO, yet you give them a thumbs up.
makes no common sense...
Yes---I give "thumbs up" to the Catholic Church because it teaches the TRUTH OF DOCTRINE handed down by Jesus Christ over 2000 years ago--and not because of a small "handful of priests" who "by their sinful sexual abusive actions" have "rejected" their priestly vows and commitment to Jesus Christs One True Apostolic Catholic Church. The "inappropriate actions" of a few priests who have "gone astray" is not in (any way shape of form) miY OWN OR ANY other CATHOLICS guidelines for the TRUTH of what the Catholic Church actually proclaims and teaches, in that homosexuality, adultery, sexual child molesting, stealing,(or ANY SIN) is wrong and is still sin in the eyes of God. The issue here for us Catholics is that we follow and believe in the TRUTH OF DOCTRINE and NOT the sin of inappropriate and perverted CONDUCT of some of the Catholic Churches members!! Do you finally "get it now" Michael or are you still "stuck on your anti-catholici vengeance and hostility,continuing to distort the truth!!
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

ReginaM wrote:
The False Doctrine of "Soul Sleep" and Prayers To, For, and From the Dead: the Biblical Evidence Confirms Catholic Belief
Consciousness after death is clearly taught in Scripture. For example: the soul is described as a separate entity from the body:
God! You believe everything they teach you!(lol)

If you know so much about ones soul, than you must know these answers.

1) How does your soul leave your body?

2) Where in your body is your soul?

3) If you don't know where purgatory, heaven or hell is, how is your soul suppose to get there?

.....I wish I had some swamp land to sell you. I could convince you to buy it all.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought by giving you the meaning of justification it would help...guess not.
I won't debate..I'll just tell you the truth. The Woman is Israel not Mary.
The bible uses the word 'justification'. No passage uses the words justification and faith only EXCEPT when St. James says we are NOT justified by faith only. Debate over.

And you don't have any authority to declare who the woman is.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

ReginaM wrote:
Ephesians 3

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

14 I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him.

15 That which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath already been; and God requireth that which is past.

16 And moreover I saw under the sun the place of judgment, that wickedness was there; and the place of righteousness, that iniquity was there.

17 I said in mine heart, God shall judge the righteous and the wicked: for there is a time there for every purpose and for every work.

18 I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts.

19 For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.

20 All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.

21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

22 Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his own works; for that is his portion: for who shall bring him to see what shall be after him?

Your Pope only THINKS to change TIMES and Law.

Ecclesiastes 8

6Because to every purpose there is time and judgment, therefore the misery of man is heavy upon him.

7For he knows not that which shall be: for who can tell him when it shall be?

8There is no man that has power over the spirit to retain the spirit; neither has he power in the day of death: and there is no release from that war; neither shall wickedness deliver those that are given to it.

9All this have I seen, and applied my heart unto every work that is done under the sun: there is a time in which one man rules over another to his own hurt.

All Suffer Death

10And so I saw the wicked buried, who had come and gone from the holy place, and they were forgotten in the city where they had so done: this is also vanity.

11Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

12Though a sinner does evil a hundred times, and his days are prolonged, yet surely I know that it shall be well with them that fear God, who fear before him:

13But it shall not be well with the wicked, neither shall he prolong his days, which are as a shadow; because he fears not before God.

17Then I beheld all the work of God, that a man cannot find out the work that is done under the sun: because though a man labors to seek it out, yet he shall not find it; yea moreover; though a wise man thinks to know it, yet shall he not be able to find it.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>you accuse the protestants of picking and choosing and throwing out the truth,yet it's the exact same thing the catholic church did,it even went as far as burning some books,it's ok with you because the catholic church did it,but you condenm others who do the same thing,how hypocritical.
Books that were burned, were "blatant heretical lies and fabricated distortions of the TRUTH" by those rebellious and defiant heretics that denied the TRUTH of what Jesus Christ actually handed down--to and by-- to his Apostles. They are just a "repeat" of the story of the prodigal son in Luke 15:11 willfully defiant and rebellious---until---eventuall y---"they eventually came to their senses"!!
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes---I give "thumbs up" to the Catholic Church because it teaches the TRUTH OF DOCTRINE handed down by Jesus Christ over 2000 years ago--and not because of a small "handful of priests" who "by their sinful sexual abusive actions" have "rejected" their priestly vows and commitment to Jesus Christs One True Apostolic Catholic Church. The "inappropriate actions" of a few priests who have "gone astray" is not in (any way shape of form) miY OWN OR ANY other CATHOLICS guidelines for the TRUTH of what the Catholic Church actually proclaims and teaches, in that homosexuality, adultery, sexual child molesting, stealing,(or ANY SIN) is wrong and is still sin in the eyes of God. The issue here for us Catholics is that we follow and believe in the TRUTH OF DOCTRINE and NOT the sin of inappropriate and perverted CONDUCT of some of the Catholic Churches members!! Do you finally "get it now" Michael or are you still "stuck on your anti-catholici vengeance and hostility,continuing to distort the truth!!
You might love your church building, the waxy candle smell, the sparkle of the priceless gold chalices, and be in AW! of the expensive stain glass windows and oak panelling, and love the fragrance of the incense, and the doctrines, but when the very teachers of your faith for centuries have been involved in corruption, and coverups of criminal activity, how can you trust ANYTHING they tell you.?

Its time you went back in history and learned about the very men who control your church..........and you.

The church runs on MONEY. If every catholic decided to stop giving, the church would be gone in less than 2 years.

Keep feeding it!

How many times can a Pope apologize.

GOOGLE ......Pope apologizes....
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you should be starting your own protestant denomination since you're able to infallibly interpret scripture all by your lonesome, uh, I mean you and the Holy Spirit. Where do I sign up?
On your knees talking directly to God is were you start Anthony.
Its not me and the Holy Spirit , it is the Holy Spirit Period
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
What don't you understand about this verse Anthony, Our works didn't save us our faith alone did.

King James Version (KJV)

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible uses the word 'justification'. No passage uses the words justification and faith only EXCEPT when St. James says we are NOT justified by faith only. Debate over.
And you don't have any authority to declare who the woman is.
If the woman is Mary then she did have other children????

Later in Rev 12 we read... check this out Tony....

Rev 12:17 Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholic rock says......
...That is why one is to stay with what is stated.
Michael says......Catholics claim that Jesus was an only child, and his mother an ever virgin, yet St Paul says........James was the BROTHER of the Lord.
Does anyone in any authority really know? NO!
http://www.infoplease.com/encyclopedia/people...
A religious group can spin a story anyway they want it to be understood, even if it means hammering a square peg into a round hole, to make it fit.
I say ...BUSTED!
It Would make since to go with what Paul said not a sect like the RCC or any other sect.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

1.Rom. 3:28-30, "For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law. 29Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, 30since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one."
2.Rom. 4:5, "But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness,"
3.Rom. 5:1, "therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,"
4.Rom. 9:30, "What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, attained righteousness, even the righteousness which is by faith."
5.Rom. 10:4, "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes."
6.Rom. 11:6, "But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace."
7.Gal. 2:16, "nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified."
8.Gal. 2:21, I do not nullify the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly.
9.Gal. 3:5-6, "Does He then, who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? 6Even so Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness."
10.Gal. 3:24, "Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, that we may be justified by faith."
11.Eph. 2:8-9, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. 9Not by works, lest any man should boast."
12.Phil. 3:9, "and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith."
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I see by Faith their works do follow them.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Again, works/Law is contrasted with faith repeatedly and we are told that we are not justified by works in any way. Therefore, we are made right with God by faith, not by faith and our works; hence, faith alone.

James 2:24, not by faith alone

The scriptures clearly teach that we are saved (justified) by faith in Christ and what He has done on the cross. This faith alone saves us. However, we cannot stop here without addressing what James says in James 2:24, "You see that a man is justified by works, and not by faith alone."

There is no contradiction. All you need to do is look at the context. James chapter 2 has 26 verses: Verses 1-7 instruct us not to show favoritism. Verses 8-13 are comments on the Law. Verses 14-26 are about the relationship between faith and works.

James begins this section by using the example of someone who says he has faith but has no works, "What use is it, my brethren, if a man says he has faith, but he has no works? Can that faith save him?" (James 2:14). In other words, James is addressing the issue of a dead faith, a faith that is nothing more than a verbal pronouncement, a public confession of the mind, and is not heart-felt. It is empty of life and action. He begins with the negative and demonstrates what an empty faith is (verses 15-17, words without actions). Then he shows that type of faith isn't any different from the faith of demons (verse 19). Finally, he gives examples of living faith that has words followed by actions. Works follow true faith and demonstrate that faith to our fellow man, but not to God. James writes of Abraham and Rahab as examples of people who demonstrated their faith by their deeds.

In brief, James is examining two kinds of faith: one that leads to godly works and one that does not. One is true, and the other is false. One is dead, the other alive; hence, "Faith without works is dead," (James 2:20). But, he is not contradicting the verses above that say salvation/justification is by faith alone.

Also, notice that James actually quotes the same verse that Paul quotes in Rom. 4:3 amongst a host of verses dealing with justification by faith. James 2:23 says, "and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, and Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.'" If James was trying to teach a contradictory doctrine of faith and works than the other New Testament writers, then he would not have used Abraham as an example. Therefore, we can see that justification is by faith alone and that James was talking about false faith, not real faith when he said we are not justified by faith alone.

Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
What don't you understand about this verse Anthony, Our works didn't save us our faith alone did.
King James Version (KJV)
Its faith + works.
Is not faith alone and its not works alone.
Faith + works.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
On your knees talking directly to God is were you start Anthony.
Its not me and the Holy Spirit , it is the Holy Spirit Period
I don't think it's the Holy Spirit causing you to lie about the Catholic faith day and night on this board LTM.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
King James Version (KJV)
Doesn't say faith alone. You added that. St. James says were are NOT justified by faith only, but also by works.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
If the woman is Mary then she did have other children????
Later in Rev 12 we read... check this out Tony....
Rev 12:17 Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring
Mary is our mother. Those who follow her Son are her offspring.

Don't debate the meaning of this Chuck, you don't have the authority.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Pope Benedict XVI Forum right now

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 3 hr Ecko 8,182
Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims ... Jul 26 Link Forrester 3
More Jul 24 True Christian witness 2
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Jul 24 ELIAS IBARRA 41
In Manila, Catholics pray for smooth succession (Mar '13) Jul 21 Anonymous 102
Serbian patriarch reportedly opposed to canoniz... Jul 21 Marko 3
Newlywed El Pasoan meets Pope Francis Jul 18 Imperial Chicano 6
•••
•••