Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the Jul 10, 2007, CBC News story titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#419072 Jan 30, 2013
contThis issue is further compounded by the very high rates of illiteracy throughout history. How does the concept of sola scriptura handle these issues?
The problem with this argument is that it essentially says that Scripture’s authority is based on its availability. This is not the case. Scripture’s authority is universal; because it is God’s Word, it is His authority. The fact that Scripture was not readily available, or that people could not read it, does not change the fact that Scripture is God’s Word. Further, rather than this being an argument against sola scriptura, it is actually an argument for what the church should have done, instead of what it did. The early church should have made producing copies of the Scriptures a high priority. While it was unrealistic for every Christian to possess a complete copy of the Bible, it was possible that every church could have some, most, or all of the Scriptures available to it. Early church leaders should have made studying the Scriptures their highest priority so they could accurately teach it. Even if the Scriptures could not be made available to the masses, at least church leaders could be well-trained in the Word of God. Instead of building traditions upon traditions and passing them on from generation to generation, the church should have copied the Scriptures and taught the Scriptures (2 Timothy 4:2).
Again, traditions are not the problem. Unbiblical traditions are the problem. The availability of the Scriptures throughout the centuries is not the determining factor. The Scriptures themselves are the determining factor. We now have the Scriptures readily available to us. Through the careful study of God’s Word, it is clear that many church traditions which have developed over the centuries are in fact contradictory to the Word of God. This is where sola scriptura applies. Traditions that are based on, and in agreement with, God’s Word can be maintained. Traditions that are not based on, and/or disagree with, God’s Word must be rejected. Sola scriptura points us back to what God has revealed to us in His Word. Sola scriptura ultimately points us back to the God who always speaks the truth, never contradicts Himself, and always proves Himself to be dependable.
gotqustions.ca
7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

#419073 Jan 30, 2013
Lost churches of the east coast
When hurricane Sandy struck the East Coast, even houses of worship were not spared. A local television station interviewed a Catholic Black Woman from New Jersey and asked how the loss of churches in the area would affect their lives.
Without hesitation, the woman replied, "I don't know 'bout all those other people, but we ain't gone to Churches in years. We gets our chicken from Popeye's."
The look on the interviewer's face was priceless.
They live among us and they vote.
Now you understand how we got our president.
Clay

Chicago, IL

#419074 Jan 30, 2013
7th Day Catholic Rocks wrote:
Lost churches of the east coast
When hurricane Sandy struck the East Coast, even houses of worship were not spared. A local television station interviewed a Catholic Black Woman from New Jersey and asked how the loss of churches in the area would affect their lives.
Without hesitation, the woman replied, "I don't know 'bout all those other people, but we ain't gone to Churches in years. We gets our chicken from Popeye's."
The look on the interviewer's face was priceless.
They live among us and they vote.
Now you understand how we got our president.
A bit of a racist are you?
Clay

Chicago, IL

#419075 Jan 30, 2013
LTM wrote:
What is sola scriptura?"
Answer: The phrase sola scriptura is from the Latin: sola having the idea of “alone,”“ground,”“base,” and the word scriptura meaning “writings”—referring to the Scriptures. Sola scriptura means that Scripture alone is authoritative for the faith and practice of the Christian. The Bible is complete, authoritative, and true.“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness”(2 Timothy 3:16).
Sola scriptura was the rallying cry of the Protestant Reformation. For centuries the Roman Catholic Church had made its traditions superior in authority to the Bible. This resulted in many practices that were in fact contradictory to the Bible. Some examples are prayer to saints and/or Mary, the immaculate conception, transubstantiation, infant baptism, indulgences, and papal authority. Martin Luther, the founder of the Lutheran Church and father of the Protestant Reformation, was publicly rebuking the Catholic Church for its unbiblical teachings. The Catholic Church threatened Martin Luther with excommunication (and death) if he did not recant. Martin Luther's reply was,“Unless therefore I am convinced by the testimony of Scripture, or by the clearest reasoning, unless I am persuaded by means of the passages I have quoted, and unless they thus render my conscience bound by the Word of God, I cannot and will not retract, for it is unsafe for a Christian to speak against his conscience. Here I stand, I can do no other; may God help me! Amen!”
cont
Gosh LTM, I really wish you'd stop posting lies.
The Catholic Church has never said their traditions are superior in authority to the Bible.
Your piece above is silly. It greatly lacks logic.
Historical fact:
The Church functioned WITH SACRED TRADITIONS for 30-40 yrs before much of the New Testament was written. And another 350 yrs before anything was officially declared as scripture.
None the less, sacred scripture and sacred tradition does not contradict each other.
Clay

Chicago, IL

#419076 Jan 30, 2013
Does any Protestant agree that the New Testament did not come labeled for us?
Didn't it take an Earthly people to determine if its scriptural or not?
I mean, make some sense y'all.
At least acknowledge that the Catholic Church at Rome compiled the letters, memoirs and Books they thought were inspired by God- in the 4th and 5th Century (60 yrs after Constantine)
Then, if you want, you could say that they fell away from those teachings.
Of course the problem with that would be: Jesus Christ really didn't promise to be with them til the end of the world. And the gates of Hell prevailed against His Church..

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#419077 Jan 30, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
You Confrinting, can continue to "deviously" manipulate and distort the true meaning of bible verses to "neatly fit into" your anti-catholic "cracker box" bible only Christianity, making these verses mean ONLY what "you want them to mean",----however- the fact remains that--the TRUTH of TRUE Church History and the TRUE interpretation of the bible, from the Early Church Fathers in 382, 393 and 397 AD---"WILL NEVER" change the TRUTH of the Gospel, that Jesus established and initiated His One True Apostolic Catholic Church. Again I repeat to you:
My Salvation, as well ANY and ALL OTHER Catholics Salvation, who are on this forum AND the other 1.168 Billion Catholics throughout the world, are NOT DEPENDENT upon your Protestant "bogus and distorted "personal opinionated" judgments and condemning obstinate preaching!!!....... I'll (continue) to put my faith, trust and hope in Jesus Christ, at Daily Mass, HIS OWN STATED AND EXPRESSED WORDS (in the Gospel) and in His "true body and true blood" (daily) in the Eucharist, along with the TRUTH of the TRUE teachings that Our Lord left for us. over 2000 years ago, manifested in and through His One True Catholic. Church....... God is NOT, NOR EVER will be, the author of your bible only "(judgmental and condemning) half-truth, half-heresy ministry.
God does NOT call "divisive" Christian ministers to do "Satans (judgmental) dirty work"!!
~~~

You wrote

God does NOT call "divisive" Christian ministers to do "Satans (judgmental) dirty work"!!

YOU AS A ROMAN CATHOLIC HAVE JUDGE EVERY CHRISTIAN GROUP ON EARTH AS

SUBSERVIENT TO YOUR PAGAN CHURCH IS ROME...

AND YOU CALL ME JUDGMENTAL...

THERE IS NO religious ORGANIZATION UPON ON EARTH THAT IS MORE DIVISIVE

THAN your Constantin Catholic (so called) Church.
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#419078 Jan 30, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
They are alive and well in Heaven! They are the Church Triumphant.
Thanks for being exactly how I just described you to another poster.
It's good to be right!:)
In HEAVEN? yet you make great doctrine that MARY was assumed into Heaven as if it was not the usual to go to Heaven at death!
Jesus will come to Earth to RESSURECT the dead in Christ to take them to Heaven.
THAT'S WHAT SCRIPTURE SAYS!

Or are you speakng form a POST Second coming perspective?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#419079 Jan 30, 2013
Clay wrote:
Does any Protestant agree that the New Testament did not come labeled for us?
Didn't it take an Earthly people to determine if its scriptural or not?
I mean, make some sense y'all.
At least acknowledge that the Catholic Church at Rome compiled the letters, memoirs and Books they thought were inspired by God- in the 4th and 5th Century (60 yrs after Constantine)
Then, if you want, you could say that they fell away from those teachings.
Of course the problem with that would be: Jesus Christ really didn't promise to be with them til the end of the world. And the gates of Hell prevailed against His Church..
~~~

you wrote

"Of course the problem with that would be: Jesus Christ really didn't promise to be with them til the end of the world. And the gates of Hell prevailed against His Church.."

YOU HAVE YET TO PROVE THAT YOUR CONSTANTINE BRAND OF RELIGION IS

SCRIPTURAL....AND THAT YOUR RELIGIOUS SOCIETY IS THE TRUE CHURCH...

YOU CANNOT PROVE IT IS...

ALL YOU CAN GIVE IS THE TRACK RECORD OF YOUR CONSTANTINE CATHOLIC CHURCH ..

WHICH PROVES IT TO BE GUILTY....OF SOME OF THE MOST UNGODLY CRIMES

THAT WERE EVER COMMITTED

AGAINST HUMANITY. IN THE NAME OF YOUR god Constantine

THE INQUISITION ALONE LASTED 650 YEARS...
Clay

Chicago, IL

#419080 Jan 30, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
You wrote
YOU AS A ROMAN CATHOLIC HAVE JUDGE EVERY CHRISTIAN GROUP ON EARTH AS
SUBSERVIENT TO YOUR PAGAN CHURCH IS ROME...
AND YOU CALL ME JUDGMENTAL...
THERE IS NO religious ORGANIZATION UPON ON EARTH THAT IS MORE DIVISIVE
THAN your Constantin Catholic (so called) Church.
Now, you keep sayin "Constantine catholic'.
But the only thing I see post Constantine is a New Testament canon.
Plus I don't see where he altered sacred teaching to be pagan as you claim. Even the most radical of radicals websites do not connect the dots with anything that makes sense with supposed Constantines dictating of the Church. I just don't see it...

Conclusion:
Catholicism pre Constantine is remarkably similar to Catholicism post Constantine.
How do you explain that Confrint?
Clay

Chicago, IL

#419081 Jan 30, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
you wrote
"Of course the problem with that would be: Jesus Christ really didn't promise to be with them til the end of the world. And the gates of Hell prevailed against His Church.."
YOU HAVE YET TO PROVE THAT YOUR CONSTANTINE BRAND OF RELIGION IS
SCRIPTURAL....AND THAT YOUR RELIGIOUS SOCIETY IS THE TRUE CHURCH...
YOU CANNOT PROVE IT IS...
ALL YOU CAN GIVE IS THE TRACK RECORD OF YOUR CONSTANTINE CATHOLIC CHURCH ..
WHICH PROVES IT TO BE GUILTY....OF SOME OF THE MOST UNGODLY CRIMES
THAT WERE EVER COMMITTED
AGAINST HUMANITY. IN THE NAME OF YOUR god Constantine
THE INQUISITION ALONE LASTED 650 YEARS...
Ok...if the New Testament; the 27 books you apparently agree are scriptural, came 50 yrs after Constantine...how do you explain the evil wicked Catholic Church determining the books you now hold in your hand?
Are you saying the devil determined sacred scripture??
Clay

Chicago, IL

#419082 Jan 30, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
In HEAVEN? yet you make great doctrine that MARY was assumed into Heaven as if it was not the usual to go to Heaven at death!
Jesus will come to Earth to RESSURECT the dead in Christ to take them to Heaven.
Who's scripture are you basing this on?
7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

#419083 Jan 30, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
She is one of those people That think the Bible doesn't say what it means while we know it means what it say's.

It i very clear they choose the obscure no patience ad out of season with the word of God.
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#419084 Jan 30, 2013
7th Day Catholic Rocks wrote:
She is one of those people That think the Bible doesn't say what it means while we know it means what it say's.
It i very clear they choose the obscure no patience ad out of season with the word of God.
Agreed. Catholics are so certain that they have the only truth but they wallow in fables, paganism, rituals and tradition.

It is so clear to those who read Daniel and Revelation that the RCC is clearly portrayed as the woman who rides the beast: a harlot church. They cannot allow for the fact that satan has corrupted their organisation and filled it with anti-Christian groups such as the Illuminati and the Jesuits.

The witness to this is the line of corrupt popes who list in their heirarchy. Willing blindness.
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#419085 Jan 30, 2013
Clay wrote:
[[ Whose not Who's.]]
The Douay version is much the same in Daniel and Revelation. Look it up.
truth

Perth, Australia

#419086 Jan 30, 2013
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-13.htm
-its love
Scripture say first commandments is love=be productive.

Its your desire..you are created from your Creator just like that..
be productive=love

Priest and rule of that time not recognize him
i come fulfill law..Jesus

-its love

Who give you life?
How become start?

two woman and two man

ankh a nkh
just look proply
descover yourself..How much you liked life?

Are you pro-life or pro-death?
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/ankh....

Did you love me?

no why should be..i am still alive..o they not kill me yet..

Are you for sure you don't liked life?
7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

#419087 Jan 30, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
God's Written Word.

Jesus Appears in The Sky

One of the first events on this day is the gathering of the elect of God to meet Jesus in the atmosphere above the earth. As Jesus enters the earth's atmosphere and lights up the sky with his glory, the angels will begin to collect the righteous of all ages:

"Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other" (Matt.24:29-31 KJV). See also Isa.43:5-7; Mk.13:24-27; 14:62; Rev.1:7.

The Dead Rise First

In this great day, everyone who has obtained salvation will rise to meet Jesus as he enters the atmosphere. But all of the righteous who have died over the centuries will be resurrected first and will join him even before the righteous people who are still alive at his coming:

"But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep [dead], that you sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain to the coming of the Lord shall not precede them which are asleep" (1.Thes.4:13-15 KJV). See also 1.Cor.15:51-54.

"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord" (1.Thes.4:16-17 KJV). See also 2.Thes.2:1-8.
truth

Perth, Australia

#419088 Jan 30, 2013
Trough man death come.

Trough woman life come.
truth

Perth, Australia

#419089 Jan 30, 2013
i walking there i talk with m an who collecting lots of dead people..did i see face..no..i don't see any face i see dead bag body one by one..he say to me more coming..
i walk in space where is blue light o yes i see clear everything..its look frozen..for me i don't fill cold not at all..
as i wrote before about fire big huge fire as sun..but i don't fill hot not at all..
i am still alive..

i am going now in my church in catholic cathedral..i am going how priest pray today..
byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Clay

Chicago, IL

#419090 Jan 30, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
[[ Whose not Who's.]]
The Douay version is much the same in Daniel and Revelation. Look it up.
But why do you think the Book of Revelation along with Daniel is Sacred Scripture?
We know most Jewish sects (but not all) considered the Book of Daniel as sacred scripture.

Who said the book of Revelation is sacred Scripture?
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#419091 Jan 30, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
But why do you think the Book of Revelation along with Daniel is Sacred Scripture?
We know most Jewish sects (but not all) considered the Book of Daniel as sacred scripture.
Who said the book of Revelation is sacred Scripture?
You are a perfect example of some one throwing the baby out with the bath water.
This is a prome example of why you and your Church are Anti-Christ. Was not John one of Christ's Apostle's the one who Christ Loved and you his scripture is not sacred ?
Itching Ears you have just like Gods Word speaks of.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 4 hr Mr Sir 9,186
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Sat Jaimie 84,074
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... Sat Sherlayne 8
News Pope Francis visit to Cuba confirmed Sat W A Y L O N 2
News Extremists sought in possible plot against the ... Fri tomin cali 1
News John Paul II College of Davao (Dec '07) Fri JJF 664
News Ion Mihai Pacepa 46 minutes ago History often r... Apr 24 Tom Jones 1
More from around the web