Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 20,184)

Showing posts 403,661 - 403,680 of513,521
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"Test the spirits. Does it agree with the bible?"
Seriously Hank, you've got to have a better system than that don't you think?
Anthony,

Isaiah 9:16

16 Those who guide this people mislead them,
and those who are guided are led astray.

It was the priests and religious leaders who led in the crucifying of the Son of God.

Do you not believe that God made the mind of man and is fully capable of addressing man in words which man can understand???
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
So different people who test the spirits and read the bible with different conclusions is a-ok with you?
Yep.

Either that or you'll get a "?".
Dust Storm

Pipestone, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Dissenters? Yes, we have some. They attempt to change the teachings from the inside, fortunately without success. Eventually they give up and become protestant or submit to the authority of the Church founded by Christ.
How is that in any way similiar to the thousands of competing protestant pastors who leave and start new and improved denominations?
New and improved? lol

Now I beseech you...that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment." Paul, 1 Corinthians 1:10

I think all Protestants should read the preface of the first KJV where they admit they guessed at a lot of meanings and copied notes on Masorectic texts rather than the original text. Does your bible say in Hebrews to obey the book which is over you unless you determine what it says is different than someone else provided you can read. Read the books that were chosen out of some 50 different circulating gospels by some guys that werent really Christians and had no clue. Pick the books that you like and what you want it to mean, string some verses together from the books you deem acceptable as profitable scripture and call it a day. Everyone is inpired truth is in the eye of the beholder. Its so absurd its beyond reason.
Dust Storm

Pipestone, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep.
Either that or you'll get a "?".
I am pretty sure that was even on the King of the Hill and they were by the fence drinking a brew and they all said yep.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:

Lol. You scared me so much, I think I'll leave the Catholic Church!
Now, which one of you 42,000 has the truth? Which one is guided by the Holy Spirit? There are so many to choose from!

New Age writes:

Implying that you know which organization the HS guides and which one it doesn't, is misleading and arrogant, don't you think?

How do you know the HS hasn't guided them?

Oh right, because men said so.

Why don't you believe Jesus instead?
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Clay
can you interpret this passage because I'm not a catholic and I can't. I'm wondering..who are the saints that need to be eqipped for work of the ministry? Thanks
Eph 4:10 He who descended is the one who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.) 11 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds[c] and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ
Sorry I don't know either. Even though I'm Catholic, I'm not an authority on sacred scripture anyway. So I don't think its responsible to take a guess on it, if I don't know.... at least, not on a public forum where I could risk leading someone astray.

Try scripturecatholic.com

catholicanswers.com

or catholic.com
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"test the spirits"

Does it make me more like CHRIST?
chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry I don't know either. Even though I'm Catholic, I'm not an authority on sacred scripture anyway. So I don't think its responsible to take a guess on it, if I don't know.... at least, not on a public forum where I could risk leading someone astray.
Try scripturecatholic.com
catholicanswers.com
or catholic.com
You had said saints were only in Heaven so who are the saints in the passage?
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

7th Day Catholic Rocks wrote:
<quoted text>If your looking for a denomination instead of the Church wether it be Catholic or Protestant you are searching in the wrong place.
The Catholic Church isn't a denomination just because people left them 1600 yrs later and turned around and said "now you guys are a denomination".
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"test the spirits"

Is it convicting rather than CONDEMNING?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Anthony,
Isaiah 9:16
16 Those who guide this people mislead them,
and those who are guided are led astray.
It was the priests and religious leaders who led in the crucifying of the Son of God.
Do you not believe that God made the mind of man and is fully capable of addressing man in words which man can understand???
Scripture teaches Church and authority. It doesn't teach private judgment of scripture.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow Ox, I think you're trying to imply something, but I'm not sure what.
I answered your question.
I don't believe the Church had a name until 'Catholic' was used. I doubt it was first used in 107 AD. I think it was earlier. None-the-less, 107 AD is the first documented usage.
The evidence of the word Catholic- describing the Church Christ started - was written by a disciple of the Apostle John.
He was ordained a Bishop by an actual Apostle.
So I highly doubt he'd make up a different church without Johns consent.
I'm glad you're reading the early Church fathers writings.
Most Protestant ignore them for obvious reasons.(the first century Church sounds really really Catholic)
You know exactly what I am saying by asking the question...that is why you will not answer it....can't fact the truth...

Fact: In your world, the church Christ built, did not become Catholic until Ingnasty named it so!!!!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

708 688 685
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You said, "the first usage of the word 'Catholic' we have is....."
correct, that was the first documented usage. The first we have. 107 AD.
Was that the very first time it was ever used? Probably not. Ignatius used the title as if everyone already knew what it was.
I personally doubt it was used in 35AD or 55 AD because the Apostles would have used that title in their writings. I don't think the Church actually had a name until they grew.
Its good you're reading the writings of the Apostolic fathers Ox.
I did some research. "the first usage of the word 'Catholic' we have is" means it was not used before that time...orally, written, scribbled, pasteurized, nor vulcanized...
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture teaches Church and authority. It doesn't teach private judgment of scripture.
"test the spirits"

The apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians and told them that the message of the gospel is foolishness to the world.

If your teaching appeals to the world then we know that there must be a problem.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Teaching that is popular with the world is NOT from God, it is from???

1 John 4:5

5 They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
New and improved? lol
Now I beseech you...that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment." Paul, 1 Corinthians 1:10
I think all Protestants should read the preface of the first KJV where they admit they guessed at a lot of meanings and copied notes on Masorectic texts rather than the original text. Does your bible say in Hebrews to obey the book which is over you unless you determine what it says is different than someone else provided you can read. Read the books that were chosen out of some 50 different circulating gospels by some guys that werent really Christians and had no clue. Pick the books that you like and what you want it to mean, string some verses together from the books you deem acceptable as profitable scripture and call it a day. Everyone is inpired truth is in the eye of the beholder. Its so absurd its beyond reason.
It is absurd. Test the spirits? Read, interpret, judge and infallibly declare and teach scripture on your own? Anyone who wants to be a preacher can get ordained and start a church? I read somewhere that non-Catholic Christian and non-Christian groups around the world are amazed and disgusted with the watered down version of "Christianity" in modern American culture. Everyone is a paper pope, truth is relative.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
"test the spirits"
Does it make me more like CHRIST?
How can you say someone who comes to different conclusions than you do about the bible by "testing the spirits" is wrong?
Pad

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Tony17 wrote:
I want to ask our Catholic brethren a question. You guys tend to think that Peter was the foundation upon whom Christ built His church. You call Peter "the rock" if you may. However if the leaders of the RCC make Peter the Rock upon whom Christ built His church, ther what does that make Christ?
In Epehsians 2:20 Christ is called the CHIEF cornerstone and if Christ is the Chief Cornerstone upon whom all the Apostles and Prophets are built then how can Peter be the rock upon whom the church is built?
Either the Bible is lying or the leaders of the RCC is lying. Guess who is telling you lies. Hint,it isn't the Bible. Those of you that believe that Peter instead of Christ is the foundation upon which the church is built had better stop listening to the RCC leaders and read EPHESIANS 2;20
Not only is Jesus the chief cornerstone,HE is the Head of the Church,the Body.He is the fulfillment of the Godhead bodily.It is actually the Father-Son and Holy Spirit that HEADS the Body.The Church is the bride of Christ,Jesus is the futurehusband as the church will be finally joined to Him as in a grand wedding ceremony.

The Church for that matter should have a woman head the whole,but that is ridiculous.All who follow Christ are born of HIS S p i r i t,are part of the Bride.It makes more sense, that all the patriarchs of Christianity who share in the present leadership of all churches and denominations,SHARE in the Office of Saint Peter.If the Holy Spirit is truly in every group to lead by His Spirit,than that which PETER was to fulfill in leading while he lived,can be carried on to the present.

Since Peter is long gone from the scene,the whole Christian faith with all its leaders follow his example.ONLY the Holy Spirit can bring to mind and to date what the Apostle Peter was given way back than.

I doubt that a church that politically poluted Christianity,that also led an Inquisition of murder and complete control for 6 centuries,is the same church that the Apostle Peter would have wanted to see following his leadership.

It is the Holy Spirit who continues to bring that which ultimately JESUS wanted as the Head of His Church,and being the cornerstone which by the way the Jews disallowed or rejected.Com mon sense tells you that the Holy Spirit is not a murderer,a control freak,a person who says one thing and lives another.We have to use common sense to realize that any one of our organizations who used evil tactics to hold the body of Christ in submission,is not the one that Jesus promotes to continue to represent Him,He would have to confess to Sodom and Gommorah that He made a mistake in destroying them.Since Jesus is God He along with the Father and the Holy Spirit sent the ANGEL of the LORD to destroy those two wicked cities.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
"test the spirits"
Is it convicting rather than CONDEMNING?
If one's testing of the spirits results in rejecting the teaching of the Church who gave us the bible where we get the teaching to begin with, I would say they are testing the wrong spirits.
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture teaches one first must be born-again to see the kingdom of heaven.

Only then can one pick a church and know who teaches truth.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 403,661 - 403,680 of513,521
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••