Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 554,341
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#418767 Jan 29, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, "this prophecy" refers to the Book of Revelation only. Secondly, the "one who reads aloud" would be the Church since she and only she was given the authority by Christ. The author of the Book of Revelation, St. John, is in the Church.*Not* every Tom, Dick, and Harry who decides on his own that *he* has authority (i.e. self-proclaimed paper popes). He doesn't and never will.
Thirdly, to hear implies oral teaching which is how the early Church spread the Gospel. Nothing was written, nothing was read. So according to your private interpretation above, those in the early Church weren't blessed!
Fourthly, you are attempting to use Revelation to trump Acts 8:26-40 which very clearly states we are *not* to interpret scripture privately but to go to those in authority, the Church...in this case St. Philip.
Too many errors, Hank. What you're proposing is not the faith taught by the apostles.
Your wrong Regina.
"Can / Should we interpret the Bible as literal?"

Answer: Not only can we take the Bible literally, but we must take the Bible literally. This is the only way to determine what God really is trying to communicate to us. When we read any piece of literature, but especially the Bible, we must determine what the author intended to communicate. Many today will read a verse or passage of Scripture and then give their own definitions to the words, phrases, or paragraphs, ignoring the context and author’s intent. But this is not what God intended, which is why God tells us to correctly handle the Word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15).

One reason we should take the Bible literally is because the Lord Jesus Christ took it literally. Whenever the Lord Jesus quoted from the Old Testament, it was always clear that He believed in its literal interpretation. As an example, when Jesus was tempted by Satan in Luke 4, He answered by quoting the Old Testament. If God’s commands in Deuteronomy 8:3, 6:13, and 6:16 were not literal, Jesus would not have used them and they would have been powerless to stop Satan’s mouth, which they certainly did.

The disciples also took the commands of Christ (which are part of the Bible) literally. Jesus commanded the disciples to go and make more disciples in Matthew 28:19-20. In Acts 2 and following, we find that the disciples took Jesus' command literally and went throughout the known world of that time preaching the gospel of Christ and telling them to "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved”(Acts 16:31). Just as the disciples took Jesus’ words literally, so must we. How else can we be sure of our salvation if we do not believe Him when He says He came to seek and save the lost (Luke 19:10), pay the penalty for our sin (Matthew 26:28), and provide eternal life (John 6:54)?

Although we take the Bible literally, there are still figures of speech within its pages. An example of a figure of speech would be that if someone said "it is raining cats and dogs outside," you would know that they did not really mean that cats and dogs were falling from the sky. They would mean it is raining really hard. There are figures of speech in the Bible which are not to be taken literally, but those are obvious.(See Psalm 17:8 for example.)

Finally, when we make ourselves the final arbiters of which parts of the Bible are to be interpreted literally, we elevate ourselves above God. Who is to say, then, that one person’s interpretation of a biblical event or truth is any more or less valid than another’s? The confusion and distortions that would inevitably result from such a system would essentially render the Scriptures null and void. The Bible is God’s Word to us and He meant it to be believed—literally and completely.

gotquestions.ca
duststorm

League City, TX

#418768 Jan 29, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
God existed before the apostles, but you didn't. Your 'ordination', while probably exciting for you and impressive to your co-religionists, is not a valid ordination because you didn't receive it by a successor of the apostles.
Like I said, you may be good reader of the bible and a nice person to other pentecostals, but I'm sorry, you are not a real bishop.
Anthony, you're still alive, thank goodness. Today is the day of salvation. Repent and believe, and I'll see you in heaven.
ReginaM

Jackson, NJ

#418769 Jan 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
True, Peter was married. I don't think Christ would have asked Peter to get a divorce to follow Him...
I believe about 39 Popes were married and countless other Bishops.
Celibacy is a Catholic rule. Its Biblical, but not sacred Dogma. It could be changed by the Church at any given time. Maybe in my lifetime too.
Current Priests are married in the CC as well. I think the Church allows married Angelican clergy to convert and still be married.
Christ was celibate. I guess she doesn't "agree" with that. How vile. LOL!
duststorm

League City, TX

#418770 Jan 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
True, Peter was married. I don't think Christ would have asked Peter to get a divorce to follow Him...
I believe about 39 Popes were married and countless other Bishops.
Celibacy is a Catholic rule. Its Biblical, but not sacred Dogma. It could be changed by the Church at any given time. Maybe in my lifetime too.
Current Priests are married in the CC as well. I think the Church allows married Angelican clergy to convert and still be married.
Seconds tick by. The minutes are fleeting. Hours, days, months turn into years.
Still, Clay gambles on the mercy of God not to allow him to expire this very day and his soul pass out into a lost eterntiy.
Clay

Chicago, IL

#418771 Jan 29, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
If your Constantine-ism was Christian you might have a point...
But
since it is not...
you are a candidate for salvation.as is the rest of the ROMAN CATHOLICS ON EARTH...
OTHERWISE YOU HAVE NO HOPE OF ETERNAL LIFE WITH CHRIST.
Your baseless threats against our salvation is just that. Baseless.
You are no authority on scripture- no matter how many verses you memorized. Your threats might scare people in your congregation, but they fall flat against us. Christ gave us the Eucharist to protect us from self proclaimed preachers.
You'll need to look Our Lord in the eye and explain every soul you took away from his Church with your lies.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#418772 Jan 29, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, "this prophecy" refers to the Book of Revelation only. Secondly, the "one who reads aloud" would be the Church since she and only she was given the authority by Christ. The author of the Book of Revelation, St. John, is in the Church.*Not* every Tom, Dick, and Harry who decides on his own that *he* has authority (i.e. self-proclaimed paper popes). He doesn't and never will.
Thirdly, to hear implies oral teaching which is how the early Church spread the Gospel. Nothing was written, nothing was read. So according to your private interpretation above, those in the early Church weren't blessed!
Fourthly, you are attempting to use Revelation to trump Acts 8:26-40 which very clearly states we are *not* to interpret scripture privately but to go to those in authority, the Church...in this case St. Philip.
Too many errors, Hank. What you're proposing is not the faith taught by the apostles.
Have to disagree with you, Regina...

The Bible teaches that each individual is responsible for himself and is not to blindly follow religious leaders.

The Bible [[[nowhere]]] implies that one is dependent on religious leaders for interpretation.

The Word of God commands the individual Christian to TEST every teacher by the written Word.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#418773 Jan 29, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
You best be concerned about your self..and your ungodly paganism..
If you had any authority and were a validly ordained bishop I might consider your threats and judgments, but you don't and you aren't.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#418774 Jan 29, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Your "private interpretation" differs from that of your protestant "brothers" and "sisters". Which of you is correct? Where did St. Paul say to sit at home with a book and work out your own salvation from it? What if your family interprets scripture differently than you do and decides that this or that command of Christ's isn't necessary? That seems like a pretty dirty trick on God's part. Gee, and what about all those early Christians who didn't have any bibles??!! Oy vey! Are they in big trouble or what?
Jeremiah 5:30-31

30 *****“A horrible and shocking thing
has happened in the land:*****

31 The prophets prophesy lies,
[[[the priests rule by their OWN authority,]]]
and my people love it this way.
But what will you do in the end?

The Jews of the old testament were to listen to God's Word, NOT to man's interpretations which created DISASTER.

What happened when the Jews depended on their leaders for man's interpretations???

.....because they have not ~~~listened to my words~~~
and ~~~have rejected my law.~~~
ReginaM

Jackson, NJ

#418775 Jan 29, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Have to disagree with you, Regina...
The Bible teaches that each individual is responsible for himself and is not to blindly follow religious leaders.
The Bible [[[nowhere]]] implies that one is dependent on religious leaders for interpretation.
The Word of God commands the individual Christian to TEST every teacher by the written Word.
Jeremiah 3:15 Then I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will lead you with knowledge and understanding.

Acts 20:28 Take heed to yourselves, and to the whole flock, wherein the Holy Ghost hath placed you bishops, to rule the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

*****2 Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are certain things hard to be understood, which the unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, to their own destruction.*****

There are many more passages I could quote, Hank. Yes, we are to read scripture on our own, that's not the point.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#418776 Jan 29, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Your "private interpretation" differs from that of your protestant "brothers" and "sisters". Which of you is correct? Where did St. Paul say to sit at home with a book and work out your own salvation from it? What if your family interprets scripture differently than you do and decides that this or that command of Christ's isn't necessary? That seems like a pretty dirty trick on God's part. Gee, and what about all those early Christians who didn't have any bibles??!! Oy vey! Are they in big trouble or what?
What is our (Christian's) responsibility when it comes to the Word of God???

"test the spirits"

Does it agree with the BIBLE?

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away."
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#418777 Jan 29, 2013
JUST-A-CHRISTIAN wrote:
<quoted text>
'paper pope' my heiny.
You romanists always vainly imagine any denomination as being led by an imitator of your old elected figurehead!
And again, you're wrong, and Marge is right. If they read the Bible FOR THEMSELVES, asking the help of the Holy Spirit for proper discernment, THEY WOULD LEAVE THE ROMANIST CULT.
Their eyes would be opened to God's truths, and they would finally SEE how romanism has been lying to them.
So take your 'paper popoe' crap and flush it accordingly.
The pastors in the 20 competing protestant groups in my town are reading it for themselves and can't seem to agree on which group is the real deal. If they really had the Holy Spirit guiding them, wouldn't they form one single denomination and make sure all the pastors are preaching the same thing?
Clay

Chicago, IL

#418778 Jan 29, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>Seconds tick by. The minutes are fleeting. Hours, days, months turn into years.
Still, Clay gambles on the mercy of God not to allow him to expire this very day and his soul pass out into a lost eterntiy.
Lol. You scared me so much, I think I'll leave the Catholic Church!
Now, which one of you 42,000 has the truth? Which one is guided by the Holy Spirit? There are so many to choose from!
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#418779 Jan 29, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
If your Constantine-ism was Christian you might have a point...
But
since it is not...
you are a candidate for salvation.as is the rest of the ROMAN CATHOLICS ON EARTH...
OTHERWISE YOU HAVE NO HOPE OF ETERNAL LIFE WITH CHRIST.
My Salvation, as well ANY and ALL OTHER Catholics Salvation, who are on this forum AND the other 1.168 Billion Catholics throughout the world, are NOT dependent upon your Protestant "bogus and distorted "personal opinionated" judgments and condemning obstinate attitude!!!....... I'll (continue) to put my faith, trust and hope in Jesus Christ, at Daily Mass, HIS OWN STATED AND EXPRESSED WORDS (in the Gospel) and in His "true body and true blood" (daily) in the Eucharist, along with the TRUTH of the TRUE teachings that Our Lord left for us. over 2000 years ago, manifested in and through His One True Catholic. Church....... God is NOT, NOR EVER will be, the author of your bible only "(judgemental and condemning) half-truth, half-heresy ministry.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#418780 Jan 29, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Your wrong Regina.
"Can / Should we interpret the Bible as literal?"
Answer: Not only can we take the Bible literally, but we must take the Bible literally. This is the only way to determine what God really is trying to communicate to us. When we read any piece of literature, but especially the Bible, we must determine what the author intended to communicate. Many today will read a verse or passage of Scripture and then give their own definitions to the words, phrases, or paragraphs, ignoring the context and author’s intent. But this is not what God intended, which is why God tells us to correctly handle the Word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15).
One reason we should take the Bible literally is because the Lord Jesus Christ took it literally. Whenever the Lord Jesus quoted from the Old Testament, it was always clear that He believed in its literal interpretation. As an example, when Jesus was tempted by Satan in Luke 4, He answered by quoting the Old Testament. If God’s commands in Deuteronomy 8:3, 6:13, and 6:16 were not literal, Jesus would not have used them and they would have been powerless to stop Satan’s mouth, which they certainly did.
The disciples also took the commands of Christ (which are part of the Bible) literally. Jesus commanded the disciples to go and make more disciples in Matthew 28:19-20. In Acts 2 and following, we find that the disciples took Jesus' command literally and went throughout the known world of that time preaching the gospel of Christ and telling them to "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved”(Acts 16:31). Just as the disciples took Jesus’ words literally, so must we. How else can we be sure of our salvation if we do not believe Him when He says He came to seek and save the lost (Luke 19:10), pay the penalty for our sin (Matthew 26:28), and provide eternal life (John 6:54)?
Although we take the Bible literally, there are still figures of speech within its pages. An example of a figure of speech would be that if someone said "it is raining cats and dogs outside," you would know that they did not really mean that cats and dogs were falling from the sky. They would mean it is raining really hard. There are figures of speech in the Bible which are not to be taken literally, but those are obvious.(See Psalm 17:8 for example.)
Finally, when we make ourselves the final arbiters of which parts of the Bible are to be interpreted literally, we elevate ourselves above God. Who is to say, then, that one person’s interpretation of a biblical event or truth is any more or less valid than another’s? The confusion and distortions that would inevitably result from such a system would essentially render the Scriptures null and void. The Bible is God’s Word to us and He meant it to be believed—literally and completely.
gotquestions.ca
So why don't you and other protestants take the bible literally?
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#418781 Jan 29, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The pastors in the 20 competing protestant groups in my town are reading it for themselves and can't seem to agree on which group is the real deal. If they really had the Holy Spirit guiding them, wouldn't they form one single denomination and make sure all the pastors are preaching the same thing?
AH Anthony, it seems you have many divsion in your own church.

Vatican II: Roman Catholic Church still deeply divided 50 years after ...
www.thestar.com/.../1267473--vatican-ii-roman... -...
Oct 6, 2012 – Brendan Hoban, a founder of the Irish reform group, the Association of Catholic Priests.“I've been at the heart of the church for 40 years.”...
Dissident Irish priest about to get hammered into the ground by the ...
wdtprs.com/.../dissident-irish-priest-about-t... -...
Jan 22, 2013 – Father Tony Flannery had been silenced by the Vatican last year because ... The Association of Catholic Priests, a dissident group that Father ... I'm not very tech savvy so i don't know how to post a comment on your blog..... Or worse, could they have implied to him that this stuff was all just “policy” and the ...
Women Priests Movement Endorsed By National Catholic Reporter
www.huffingtonpost.com/.../women-priests-nati... ...
by Jaweed Kaleem - in 504 Google+ circles - More by Jaweed Kaleem
Dec 3, 2012 – In an editorial published Monday morning, a prominent Catholic newspaper endorsed the ... City in October after attempting to march on the Vatican to protest its policy against ordaining women...... On the other hand: Priests preach but don't walk the walk...... Don't let "a man's organizations" hold you back.
Helmut Schueller, Austrian Dissident Priest, Stripped Of 'Monsignor ...
www.huffingtonpost.com/.../helmut-schueller-a... ...
Nov 30, 2012 – VATICAN CITY -- An Austrian Roman Catholic dissident priest says the ... Boy Scouts Re-Considers Gay Policy: Religious Groups..... Catholics aren't catholic because they don't believe the full dogma, just as this Priest has shown..... every Catholic out there who doesn't agree with the church 100%, there ...
'Liberal' priest will defy Vatican attempts to 'silence' him
www.thejournal.ie/tony-flannery-catholic-chur... ...
Jan 20, 2013 – A CATHOLIC PRIEST who has expressed what some consider to be liberal views ...“But in reality they are a very enclosed, and somewhat arrogant, group in the Vatican, who do not .... It is a small thing in itself, I don't feel any upset but it enables me to ... I agree the Catholic Church is the sc*m of this earth.
Independent Catholic Church Group Ordains Its First Transgender ...
www.patheos.com/.../independent-catholic-chur... -...
Jan 20, 2013 – Minneapolis just ordained its first transgender priest this week, but you probably ... an independent branch of Catholicism not affiliated with the Vatican,.... I agree with the post, it is a big day for the transgender community in ... Except this church ordains women, but don't let facts get in the way or anything.
Vatican's demand for silence is too high a price - The Irish Times ...
www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2013/...... ...
Jan 21, 2013 – That was the era of great openness in the Catholic Church.... In autumn 2010, I was one of a small group who set up the Association of Catholic Priests (ACP).... Initially my policy was to see if some compromise was possible, and it .... This sector of Christianity remains in essential agreement on nearly ...
7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

#418782 Jan 29, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeremiah 5:30-31
30 *****“A horrible and shocking thing
has happened in the land:*****
31 The prophets prophesy lies,
[[[the priests rule by their OWN authority,]]]
and my people love it this way.
But what will you do in the end?
The Jews of the old testament were to listen to God's Word, NOT to man's interpretations which created DISASTER.
What happened when the Jews depended on their leaders for man's interpretations???
.....because they have not ~~~listened to my words~~~
and ~~~have rejected my law.~~~
Unfortuantly that entails the Protestants keeping the traditions of the RCC as well.

Neither Jew or Greek when it comes to God's salvation plan.
Dust Storm

Pennock, MN

#418783 Jan 29, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Acts 15: 27 “Therefore we have sent Judas and Silas, who themselves will also report the same things by word of mouth.

Acts 9: 17 And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.

Here Paul is clearly ordained by a member of the church. He did not just do a jiggy and boom he was saved. Ananias goes on to say rise and be baptized to wash away your sins, but false Apostles like preston ignore it. They ignore Hebrews, they ignore that Christ gave authority to the Apostles. They ignore that clearly men were appointed and chosen. It is so obvious within scripture and history that the church is the Catholic church. They ignore what Paul says to Timohy not to ordain just any johnny come lately. Protestants utterly disregard the fact that heretics before them and satan twisted scripture out of context to make their own world of teachings.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#418784 Jan 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, which one of you 42,000 has the truth? Which one is guided by the Holy Spirit? There are so many to choose from!
Hi Clay
can you interpret this passage because I'm not a catholic and I can't. I'm wondering..who are the saints that need to be eqipped for work of the ministry? Thanks

Eph 4:10 He who descended is the one who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.) 11 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds[c] and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ
7th Day Catholic Rocks

Poplar Bluff, MO

#418785 Jan 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
If your looking for a denomination instead of the Church wether it be Catholic or Protestant you are searching in the wrong place.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#418786 Jan 29, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
What is our (Christian's) responsibility when it comes to the Word of God???
"test the spirits"
Does it agree with the BIBLE?
"Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away."
"Test the spirits. Does it agree with the bible?"

Seriously Hank, you've got to have a better system than that don't you think?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Filipino Catholics hails new saints (Apr '14) 3 hr jodlas 62
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 4 hr Crazy 8,639
Obama a hugely impresseda with Pope Francis (Oct '13) Nov 19 truthseeker7 3
Pope Francis' visit to Palestinian refugee camp... (May '14) Nov 19 truthseeker7 2
Pope's visit will change Philippines, Cardinal ... Nov 18 QUITTNER Nov19 2014 26
Philippines prepares for pope with messages on ... Nov 17 ELIAS IBARRA 8
Pope's visit promises unpleasant surprise to Tu... Nov 17 Rockstar 3

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE