Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 573,816
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
marge

Ames, IA

#418690 Jan 28, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
I was interested in the link he posted about the names of God Preston nothing else.
I am interested in the Hebrew language, and the meanings behind the names. I have done a study on the Hebrew Holy Days. Pastor Kennedy has a Hebrew Bible I am going to send him the link and see what he thinks.
If I find this link is not truthful I will not listen to it any more.
I didn't know "guest" was SDA. thank you Preston .
And 'Guest' has said a hundred times he is Not sda, if you did not know that:)
marge

Ames, IA

#418691 Jan 28, 2013
Well I don't see any baby picture:(
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#418692 Jan 28, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
The 'church' is what the Bible calls the 'church' no matter what.
Amen

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#418693 Jan 28, 2013
688 685
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
It may not have took that long. 110 AD is just the first recorded usage.
And by the way, that's 77 yrs after the Church began, not 110
When was the word “Catholic” first used?

The first usage of the word “Catholic,” we have, is from the pen of St. Ignatius of Antioch. Around the year AD. 107 Ignatius was sentenced to death by lions in the Coliseum. As he was being escorted to Rome he wrote a famous series of letters to different Churches.

In his letter to the Church at Smyrna he wrote,

“Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. The celebration of the Eucharist is valid only if it is administered by the bishop or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Where the bishop is, there let the people also be; just as where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.”

Notice: First usage of, etc etc

So....why did it take the Catholics over one hundred years to know that the church Christ built was the Catholic Church???
marge

Ames, IA

#418694 Jan 28, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
We are not saying that there is not much that is sound in some of these principles nor that as Catholics we do not share some of the same beliefs. For, after all, we are a Church of basics -- basic beliefs grounded in Scripture and our tradition developed over almost twenty centuries. But we do see certain tenets of Fundamentalism as contrary to Catholic belief. While we have always been a Church of fundamentals, we are not a Church of fundamentalism. As bishops of these deep South dioceses we note that while modern Fundamentalism is of rather RECENT origin, its roots are a part of our American religious experience, especially within the Southern Bible Belt.
Do these roots of modern Fundamentalism pose a temptation and a danger to our people? We think so. The Fundamentalist stance of literal interpretation of Scripture by each believer violates the history and tradition of Scripture itself. That is the danger.
http://www.shc.edu/theolibrary/resources/fund...
WOW, a danger to read the Word of God for themselves?

Well yes it is they will leave catholism.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#418695 Jan 28, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW, a danger to read the Word of God for themselves?
Well yes it is they will leave catholism.
No, it means after personally interpreting the bible, then disagreeing with your pastor, another protestant leaves and buys another vacant convenience store and starts a new denomination, making him/herself a paper pope.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#418696 Jan 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
SNIPPED.
Lets pretend for a moment your fantasy of being an authority on Sacred Scripture is true.
Why did God command Israel to carve images of Angels?
Could it be, images of Angels of God don't offend Him?
If Angeles don't offend Him, why does an image of Jesus and Mary offend Him?
As I said you Roman Catholics are like a bunch of spoiled brats...;

You evidently believe you are exempt from following the commandments of God..

You treat God like a bunch of sassy delinquent juveniles and demand of Him.. WHY?

The answer is.... BECAUSE HE SAID SO...

YOU DON'T NEED TO DEMAND A REASON FROM HIM OR ATTEMPT TO RUB HIS NOSE IN WHAT HE HAS DONE....

YOUR SOULS HANG IN THE BALANCE...GOD DON'T NEED TO ANSWER TO YOU FOR WHAT HE DOES...

HE IS GOD...NOT SOME HATED PROTESTANT...

IF YOU CONTINUE TO INSULT HIM WITH YOUR CONSISTENT DISOBEDIENCE TO HIS WORD?

THIS IS WHAT YOU SHALL HEAR.

Mat_25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand,

---> Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#418697 Jan 28, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
688 685
<quoted text>
When was the word “Catholic” first used?
The first usage of the word “Catholic,” we have, is from the pen of St. Ignatius of Antioch. Around the year AD. 107 Ignatius was sentenced to death by lions in the Coliseum. As he was being escorted to Rome he wrote a famous series of letters to different Churches.
In his letter to the Church at Smyrna he wrote,
“Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. The celebration of the Eucharist is valid only if it is administered by the bishop or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Where the bishop is, there let the people also be; just as where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.”
Notice: First usage of, etc etc
So....why did it take the Catholics over one hundred years to know that the church Christ built was the Catholic Church???
Maybe they tried 'Southern Baptist Convention' for 80 years and decided it attracted too many inbred crackers, and decided Catholic (universal) was more inclusive.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#418698 Jan 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said you Roman Catholics are like a bunch of spoiled brats...;
You evidently believe you are exempt from following the commandments of God..
You treat God like a bunch of sassy delinquent juveniles and demand of Him.. WHY?
The answer is.... BECAUSE HE SAID SO...
YOU DON'T NEED TO DEMAND A REASON FROM HIM OR ATTEMPT TO RUB HIS NOSE IN WHAT HE HAS DONE....
YOUR SOULS HANG IN THE BALANCE...GOD DON'T NEED TO ANSWER TO YOU FOR WHAT HE DOES...
HE IS GOD...NOT SOME HATED PROTESTANT...
IF YOU CONTINUE TO INSULT HIM WITH YOUR CONSISTENT DISOBEDIENCE TO HIS WORD?
THIS IS WHAT YOU SHALL HEAR.
Mat_25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand,
---> Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
You're not God, you don't speak for Him, you have no authority to interpret His Word, and you have not been called or sent. Just be as good a Christian as you can be and quit judging or you will be judged with the same severity. Now go take care of your sick wife.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#418699 Jan 28, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe they tried 'Southern Baptist Convention' for 80 years and decided it attracted too many inbred crackers, and decided Catholic (universal) was more inclusive.
Being silly does not answer my question...

Why did it take the Catholics over one hundred years to know that the church Christ built was the Catholic Church???

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#418701 Jan 28, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not God, you don't speak for Him, you have no authority to interpret His Word, and you have not been called or sent. Just be as good a Christian as you can be and quit judging or you will be judged with the same severity. Now go take care of your sick wife.
~~~

you wrote..

"You're not God, you don't speak for Him, you have no authority to interpret His Word, and you have not been called or sent."

If you can find a reason (and you have none) to hate the messenger then you can disregard the message.

I WAS CALLED OF GOD AS A CHILD...AND I AM SENT...I AM AN ORDAIED BISHOP.

"NOT ONLY THAT ...MY MIDDLE NAME IS ....BISHOP...

DEFINED AS KEEPER OF THE CHURCH."

It's your eternal soul that you are playing guessing games with.

I have given you GOD'S WORD...NOT MY OWN..

Eze_18:31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit:

for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

WHY DO YOU ROMAN CATHOLICS CHOOSE THE SECOND DEATH....

ETERNAL SEPARATION FROM GOD?

WHY HAVE YOU CHOSEN TO DIE.?

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#418702 Jan 28, 2013
marge wrote:
Well I don't see any baby picture:(
I removed him, I thought that people didnt appreciate beautiful baby pictures
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#418703 Jan 28, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
688 685
<quoted text>
When was the word “Catholic” first used?
The first usage of the word “Catholic,” we have, is from the pen of St. Ignatius of Antioch. Around the year AD. 107 Ignatius was sentenced to death by lions in the Coliseum. As he was being escorted to Rome he wrote a famous series of letters to different Churches.
In his letter to the Church at Smyrna he wrote,
“Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. The celebration of the Eucharist is valid only if it is administered by the bishop or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Where the bishop is, there let the people also be; just as where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.”
Notice: First usage of, etc etc
So....why did it take the Catholics over one hundred years to know that the church Christ built was the Catholic Church???
Just like "all history books" ---a "daily, weekly or monthly journal" has never, nor will ever exist! There is "enough" factual, recorded, documented and proven evidence from the era of Ignatius (documented -continuously- for over 2000 years to "overwhelming conclude" that the word Catholics (was (no doubt) used even prior to the time of Ignatius. Only Protestant
"bible only buffoons" would still "desperately" attempt to deny PROVEN TRUE Church History and the fact that the Catholic Church has, is and will continue to be Jesus Christs One (and only) TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church. As usual, Oxbow---you and your other 42,000+ contradicting and inconsistent Protestants, continue to "fish and catch nothing" just like Peter did before His TRUE CONVERSION to Jesus Christ!!
truth

Perth, Australia

#418704 Jan 28, 2013
moon is old 800 000 years
now 100 years is nothing..
Clay

Chicago, IL

#418708 Jan 28, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
688 685
<quoted text>
When was the word “Catholic” first used?
The first usage of the word “Catholic,” we have, is from the pen of St. Ignatius of Antioch. Around the year AD. 107 Ignatius was sentenced to death by lions in the Coliseum. As he was being escorted to Rome he wrote a famous series of letters to different Churches.
In his letter to the Church at Smyrna he wrote,
“Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. The celebration of the Eucharist is valid only if it is administered by the bishop or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Where the bishop is, there let the people also be; just as where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.”
Notice: First usage of, etc etc
So....why did it take the Catholics over one hundred years to know that the church Christ built was the Catholic Church???
You said, "the first usage of the word 'Catholic' we have is....."

correct, that was the first documented usage. The first we have. 107 AD.
Was that the very first time it was ever used? Probably not. Ignatius used the title as if everyone already knew what it was.
I personally doubt it was used in 35AD or 55 AD because the Apostles would have used that title in their writings. I don't think the Church actually had a name until they grew.
Its good you're reading the writings of the Apostolic fathers Ox.
Clay

Chicago, IL

#418709 Jan 28, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe they tried 'Southern Baptist Convention' for 80 years and decided it attracted too many inbred crackers, and decided Catholic (universal) was more inclusive.
Lol!
Clay

Chicago, IL

#418710 Jan 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said you Roman Catholics are like a bunch of spoiled brats...;
You evidently believe you are exempt from following the commandments of God..
You treat God like a bunch of sassy delinquent juveniles and demand of Him.. WHY?
The answer is.... BECAUSE HE SAID SO...
YOU DON'T NEED TO DEMAND A REASON FROM HIM OR ATTEMPT TO RUB HIS NOSE IN WHAT HE HAS DONE....
YOUR SOULS HANG IN THE BALANCE...GOD DON'T NEED TO ANSWER TO YOU FOR WHAT HE DOES...
HE IS GOD...NOT SOME HATED PROTESTANT...
IF YOU CONTINUE TO INSULT HIM WITH YOUR CONSISTENT DISOBEDIENCE TO HIS WORD?
THIS IS WHAT YOU SHALL HEAR.
Mat_25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand,
---> Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Sooo, you didn't answer my question.
Why did God command Israel to carve images of Angels?
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#418711 Jan 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
you wrote..
"You're not God, you don't speak for Him, you have no authority to interpret His Word, and you have not been called or sent."
If you can find a reason (and you have none) to hate the messenger then you can disregard the message.
I WAS CALLED OF GOD AS A CHILD...AND I AM SENT...I AM AN ORDAIED BISHOP.
"NOT ONLY THAT ...MY MIDDLE NAME IS ....BISHOP...
DEFINED AS KEEPER OF THE CHURCH."
It's your eternal soul that you are playing guessing games with.
I have given you GOD'S WORD...NOT MY OWN..
Eze_18:31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit:
for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
WHY DO YOU ROMAN CATHOLICS CHOOSE THE SECOND DEATH....
ETERNAL SEPARATION FROM GOD?
WHY HAVE YOU CHOSEN TO DIE.?
You don't speak for God. Your so-called ordination is invalid as it was not done by a successor of the apostles. If you really want to give me God's written Word, I'll give you my address and you can mail me a bible. But please don't send me one of your abridged protestant versions.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#418712 Jan 28, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Being silly does not answer my question...
Why did it take the Catholics over one hundred years to know that the church Christ built was the Catholic Church???
Actually it's more fun to ridicule your stupid questions than it is to play word games with you. Hey, someone should tell John Hagee that fried chicken and corn bread isn't a breakfast food, I'm kinda concerned for him....

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#418713 Jan 28, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't speak for God. Your so-called ordination is invalid as it was not done by a successor of the apostles. If you really want to give me God's written Word, I'll give you my address and you can mail me a bible. But please don't send me one of your abridged protestant versions.
~~~
You wrote

Your so-called ordination is invalid as it was not done by a successor of the apostles.

God called me as a Child and has directed my life for 78 years...

For you information God existed before the Apostles..or did you know that...

God's Church is as old as God is...

Peter did not invent it..nor was it built upon Peter.

The church existed in the wilderness...under Moses

Act_7:38 This is he, that was in

===>the church in the wilderness <==with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:

You need to learn about God and forget your Constantine-ism...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was Obama right about the Crusades and Islamic ... 3 hr Lawrence Wolf 2,021
Most Americans see combating climate change as ... 10 hr The Fact Is 2
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Sat Mr Sir 8,910
Saudi effort to promote open society abroad in ... Feb 23 jinxi 3
9 Historical Events That Occurred on Christmas Day Feb 21 cupcake 1
Pope says Catholics must practice a responsible... Feb 20 amc 4
Episcopal parish to join Catholic Church (Jun '11) Feb 19 how g 4
More from around the web