Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
403,181 - 403,200 of 532,443 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand your reasoning, Dan. How can you deny the very writings that you claim as your sole authority? They profess one Lord, one Faith, one Baptism...one church...Christ's prayer to the Father that they may be...one...
It wasn't His church that broke from protestantism, it was protestants that broke from His church.*That* is the division of which you speak. Pride manifested itself in the reformation, protestantism the result. There's reform and there's reform. Reform for the good of the Church is one thing (see Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross). Reform for the satisfaction of one's ego is quite another (see Martin Luther, et al.)
I'd been meaning to read more about Dorothy Day and found this article about her by Jim Forest entitled "Dorothy Day - Saint and Troublemaker". Seemingly a woman of contradictions, the author relates this anecdote:
"Pleased as she was when home Masses were allowed and the Liturgy translated into English, she didn’t take kindly to smudging the border between the sacred and mundane. When a priest close to the community used a coffee cup for a chalice at a Mass celebrated in the soup kitchen on First Street, she afterward took the cup, kissed it, and buried it in the back yard. It was no longer suited for coffee — it had held the Blood of Christ. I learned more about the Eucharist that day than I had from any book or sermon. It was a learning experience for the priest as well — thereafter he used a chalice."
http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/rel...
As you can see, there really were no contradictions. She was a woman of single mind and purpose. She was a daughter of the Church (with more than a bit of St. Peter in her). I hope you print this little story out and keep it close to you, read it often.
The Catholic religion is a denomination and so are all Protestant religions. Christ never built any denomination or denominations.
He established Christianity...

church: ekklesia, a calling out, i.e.(concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both):--assembly, church.

Poplar Bluff, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually my ignorant friend, the Church added 27 books to scripture. They authoritatively declared it the New Testament. That's how you have a Bible in the first place to beat us over the head with.
Thats why we are to reffer to the orginal source as a referrence point because of the HARM YOUR Church the RCC has caused and done.
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

alan wrote:
<quoted text>You have a migraine, I have questions. This "God", when will he be here again Clay? You know the Bible character.
I don't know what you mean.

God is Love. So as long as love is present, God is around.
Jesus Christ is God made flesh. When Jesus comes back, no one knows.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The only problem is: we don't worship Mary.
you got anything else from our Scriptures?
Catholic worshiping Mary....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/16/blee...

Worship:
a. The reverent love and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object.

b. The ceremonies, prayers, or other religious forms by which this love is expressed.

You worship Mary every time you recite the Hail Mary and/or the rosary...

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I say me and my family would be born again.
Still, you say we are not.
Further more, I say billions haven't heard of Jesus Christ since 33 AD. They didn't hear the gospels.
Don't you think Jesus - in His perfect divinity- would first require people to hear those words, then act?
clay, I cant say that anyone is Saved, I can only go with their testimony.

and i would not like to think that you would not lie to me about something as important as your soul. Clay, I believe in a"know so Salvation" and I am not alone in that belief. I believe that if God Saved you, you will be able to tell people when you got saved, how God Moved on your soul that Day. in fact, that day will be the most important day of your whole life.

and if that happened to you(being Born again), you will then realize that eating a piece of grain is miniscule, compared to God applying the Blood of Jesus to your soul and cleansing it from all sin.

that piece of grain that you eat could never do that. I hope that you can realize that, and acknowlege my words as being true.

If you cant, and place that piece of grain on the same level as the blood of Jesus Christ, you aint Saved.

and I absolutely refuse to compromise the blood of Jesus for anyone. God thought enough of YOU to give His Son for a Sin Offerring, so you might not have to be sent to hell.
Adam and Steve

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what you mean.
God is Love. So as long as love is present, God is around.
Jesus Christ is God made flesh. When Jesus comes back, no one knows.
Clay, I study religious brainwashing. God is a character in a book, you know that clay? Did you find this God or did they teach it to you? Either way, its a fable, a fantasy, nothing more. That's why you and every human before you and every human after you will keep asking, "When will God appear?" Soon ,they will say. Do you know what is out in space clay? Advanced Alien Beings.....your Bible Gods! So, go bow your head and pray...don't look up clay.....its truly scary!

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

ReginaM wrote:
When the Church adheres to these words in faith, she is not being triumphalistic but humbly recognizing in wonder and thanksgiving the victory of God over and through human weakness. Whoever deprives these words of their force for fear of triumphalism or of human usurpation of authority does not proclaim that God is greater but diminishes him, since God demonstrates the power of his love, and thus remains faithful to the law of the history of salvation, precisely in the paradox of human impotence. For with the same realism with which we declare today the sins of the popes and their disproportion to the magnitude of their commission, we must also acknowledge that Peter has repeatedly stood as the rock against ideologies, against the dissolution of the word into the plausibilities of a given time, against subjection to the powers of this world.
When we see this in the facts of history, we are not celebrating men but praising the Lord, who does not abandon the Church and who desired to manifest that he is the rock through Peter, the little stumbling stone:“flesh and blood” do not save, but the Lord saves through those who are of flesh and blood. To deny this truth is not a plus of faith, not a plus of humility, but is to shrink from the humility that recognizes God as he is. Therefore the Petrine promise and its historical embodiment in Rome remain at the deepest level an ever-renewed motive for joy: the powers of hell will not prevail against it …4
4. Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, Called to Communion: Understanding the Church Today, Ignatius Press (1996): 61-65, 72-74.
http://www.calledtocommunion.com/2012/08/the -...
-
-
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the stupidest Idealogy I ever read, but of course it would be.
It came from none other then the enabler of the murderers, and rapists of Children .
Please post from some one with a little more credablity then that.
Even among the catholic's I know, he has none.
-
-
I agree LTM.
-
The ideology propounded by Ratzinger, and all Catholics, is the same tired old stuff, repeated ad nauseam by Catholic leaders and Catholic followers.
-
Jesus' name was not even mentioned here by Ratzinger - I wonder if any of the Catholics here noticed that? and for Ratzinger to say that "Peter has *repeatedly* stood as The Rock" is nothing short of blasphemy.
-
Peter is DEAD and incapable of standing as the rock.
-
JESUS is NOT DEAD, but has been resurrected and sits at the right hand of the Father. JESUS is the ROCK the Christian Faith was built on. Not Peter.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Clay wrote:
I'm a little crabby today. I've got a migraine. I'll try to be more respectful.
Your a little crabby ALL THE TIME! Read all your previous posts?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
There couldn't be any corruption in the 'Baptismal formula'.
UNLESS Jesus Christ decided not to guide His Church.
Do you think Christ changed his mind and let everyone get messed up until you born agains arrived and read the Bible - 1800 yrs later?
Exactly Guest... where is your faith in Jesus Christ?
the FIRST sign or mark of a cult is that they refuse to accept the word of God and try to change it for whatever reason.

so just consider the source and dont accept anything from them.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually my ignorant friend, the Church added 27 books to scripture. They authoritatively declared it the New Testament. That's how you have a Bible in the first place to beat us over the head with.
NO.
The romanist denomination did not write the Bible.... nor did it give it to anyone.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
Only the Catholics!!!!
When Rome went from being pagan to Christian under Constantine, they had to find a replacement for the great mother of paganism. It was not until the time of Constantine that anyone began to look at Mary as a goddess.
Since Mary was the mother of Jesus Christ, she was the most logical person to replace the pagan mother goddess. The pagans could continue their prayers and devotion to the mother goddess, only they would call her Mary.
The pagans worshipped the mother as much or more than her son and this is exactly what the Roman Catholicism does. True Christianity teaches that Jesus Christ is to be worshipped – not his mother.
The fact remains that Jesus never hinted at the idea of Mary worship nor did any of the apostles. Worshipping the mother goddess along with her child took place centuries before Jesus Christ was ever born in many different parts of the world. In 431 A.D. Mary worship became an official doctrine of the church in at the Council of Ephesus.
All these stories played out centuries before. The only difference is the character names are different.

Its all part of our history.

http://pocm.info/

Since: Nov 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Your comments are based upon NOTHING other than first "one opinion", then "another opinion" and just more and "more additional opinions" all (laced with more of your (bogus) anti-catholic distorted church history. You don't put much stock in "ANYTHING" Catholic that is supported over and over again with bounified, abundant and (proven) Church History for over 2000 years. If there is "any hearsay" regarding Church History, it comes "directly" from your Protestant heretical "hack" historian writers, who will write or attempt to "debunk "anything" against the TRUTH of Jesus Christs historically and biblically PROVEN One True Apostolic Catholic Church.
i do not put stock in any organized group,not just catholic,because none of them tell the whole truth,and partly because constantine and his 100 scholars burned books while putting together the catholic religion,if it didn't fit with paganism,burn it,catholic history come from the catholic church only,there is nothing out there to support your wild theories about the church,and now will you answer my question? you quick to condenm everyone else but i can't get you to answer a question about the c. church,why? how many people did they kill in the name of god, just because the people did not want to join the church??

Since: Nov 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
I will repeat this for people like you jethro8, who have "difficulty comprehending ANYTHING that "debunks" the anti-catholic "trash talking" garbage that you are so famous for!!
How many Catholics were murdered by the Protestants during their "reformation"?
Calvin sought to persecute Roman Catholics so as to keep Protestant believers in the lands divided by the Reformation faithful to his new teachings. He viciously persecuted the Spaniard, Michael Servetus,a Catholic, having him burnt alive on October 27, 1553. As early as 1545, Calvin had written,“If he [Servetus] comes to Geneva, I will never allow him to depart alive.”
Melancthon, one of the more mild reformers and the editor for Luther’s many works and teachings, would write to Bullinger,“I am astonished that some persons denounce the severity that was so justly used in that case.”[In reference to execution of Roman Catholics]
Theodore of Beza wrote:“What crime can be greater or more heinous than heresy, which sets at nought the word of God and all ecclesiastic discipline? Christian magistrates, do your duty to God [speaking in Calvin's Geneva of 1554], who has put the sword into your hands for the honor of His majesty; strike valiantly these Catholic monsters in the guise of men.” He went on to characterize those who demanded freedom of conscience “worse than the tyranny of the pope. It is better to have a tyrant, no matter how cruel he may be, than to let everyone do as he pleases.”
Martin Luther also fanned the flames of Catholic intolerance,“Whoever teaches otherwise than I teach, condemns God, and must remain a child of hell.”
King Henry VIII of England, who took upon himself the role of grand royal inquisitor, took the lives of some 72,000 Catholics, many who were cruelly tortured.
Queen Elizabeth, proved herself the former’s daughter by putting to death more Catholics in one year than the Inquisition had done in 331 years!
Irish Catholic Holocaust ---. By the mid-19th century, Ireland was a country of Eight Million, mostly peasants. As a result of years of exploitation, they survived as tenant farmers and were never far from economic disaster. They were forced to exist on a single crop: the potato. A disease turned the potato into a foul slime. When the Irish masses turned to the British government for relief, they were denied.
Meanwhile,“Food, from 30 to 50 shiploads per day, was removed at gunpoint (from Ireland) by 12,000 British constables, reinforced by 200,000 British soldiers, warships, excise vessels, and coast guards... Britain seized from Ireland’s producers tens of millions of head of livestock, tens of millions of tons of flour, grains, meat, poultry and dairy products-enough to sustain 18-million persons.”[20]. Note: While the British occupied Northern Ireland millions of Irish Catholics were starving from lack of food not the British.
Gallagher estimates 2 million died from the famine. Writer Chris Fogarty, places the numbers “murdered at approximately 5.16 million, making it the Irish holocaust.” Distinguished legal scholars, like Professors Charles Rice of Notre Dame U. and Francis A. Boyle, U. of Illinois, believe that under International Law, that the British pursued a barbarous policy of mass starvation of Catholics in Ireland from 1845-50, and that such conduct constituted “genocide.”
ok now tell us how many people were killed by the church since it's begining just for the sole reason they did not want to be catholic,and they wanted to be "THE" biggest religion in the known world? if catholics had it so bad why didn't they leave england and ireland? if i'm not mistaken,catholics were the first to start the killings,before protestants did and muslims did.
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic religion is a denomination and so are all Protestant religions. Christ never built any denomination or denominations.
He established Christianity...
church: ekklesia, a calling out, i.e.(concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both):--assembly, church.
Christ founded a church, not Christianity. That church is the Catholic Church, so no it isn't a denomination. Denominationalism within Christianity is peculiar to protestantism. It was unheard of until the deformation a few hundred years ago.

You have a penchant for using contemporary American secular resources to define your beliefs (dictionaries, encyclopedias, and the like). An ecclesial gathering/meeting is not properly a church.
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

JUST-A-CHRISTIAN wrote:
<quoted text>
NO.
The romanist denomination did not write the Bible.... nor did it give it to anyone.
2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Then please offer me an alternative scenario.

First of all, thanks for the migraine prayers.

Did the Bible fall out of the sky printed and ready to go- promptly handed out to the folks by the Apostles?
Does your Bible tell you which books belong in it?
No.
How did the books come to fruition as the New Testament and combined with the OT?
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ founded a church, not Christianity. That church is the Catholic Church, so no it isn't a denomination. Denominationalism within Christianity is peculiar to protestantism. It was unheard of until the deformation a few hundred years ago.
You have a penchant for using contemporary American secular resources to define your beliefs (dictionaries, encyclopedias, and the like). An ecclesial gathering/meeting is not properly a church.
If someone went back in a time machine to 200 AD , 800 AD or any year before Protestants established 'denominations' they would quickly find out no one would know what the heck they are talking about when they say, "scripture alone, faith alone, born again, evangelical, denomination, etc..the list goes on.
There was only the Catholic Church.
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>the FIRST sign or mark of a cult is that they refuse to accept the word of God and try to change it for whatever reason.
so just consider the source and dont accept anything from them.
I would disagree. All 'Christian' cults accept the word of God. Its just their opinion on what its saying...They simply apply their ideology to it and feel justified under sola scripture.
Frankly, Preston, you can't argue with them because you too believe in sola scripture
Who's going to tell either of ya you're wrong?

Poplar Bluff, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I would disagree. All 'Christian' cults accept the word of God. Its just their opinion on what its saying...They simply apply their ideology to it and feel justified under sola scripture.
Frankly, Preston, you can't argue with them because you too believe in sola scripture
Who's going to tell either of ya you're wrong?
<snicker>

And the RCC had done the same with the scriptures they have confiscated from the early church in Jerusalem and throughout asia minor etc..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
If someone went back in a time machine to 200 AD , 800 AD or any year before Protestants established 'denominations' they would quickly find out no one would know what the heck they are talking about when they say, "scripture alone, faith alone, born again, evangelical, denomination, etc..the list goes on.
There was only the Catholic Church.
dont act so foolish.

Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be [born again]SEE THAT, STRAIGHT FORM THE LIPS OF JESUS HIMSELF.

so I am not the least surprised that you along with all catholics dont have a clue as to what Jesus was Saying, and if YOU dont know what He meant, then you aint Saved.

Jesus never founded any Church, but he did give Salvation to those who are Born Again. No church ever saved one person!

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

aussiejohn wrote:
<quoted text>
You should check out the writings of a bloke called "Origin". Now as i recall he was writing within a century or so of Jesus's death and was considered for saint hood. Anyway, he went on about people taking much of the new testament too literally and totally missing the point which was intended. Not sure the writers of the Gospels had a debate on embryos in mind when the penned that one. Something much deeper is actually going on.
aussiejohn

I have read Origen....And I have just skimmed the book "On First Principle", chapter 2 "that many by not understanding the scriptures spiritually and by badly understanding fall into heresies"

It is a short chapter. And I would agree with your assessment of the situation with embryos. I brought it forward as preston seems to be an advocate of the "embryo" theory. And I am trying to imagine how he comes up with Jesus being fully human, but not of human ancestry...?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••