Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 20,097)

Showing posts 401,921 - 401,940 of529,852
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
....and yet - Jesus never called himself "God", but you believe that.
You are confused on what the Bible means.
Well, considering it is incomplete, I can see your error. The same one made by many others before you.
Psalm 82:6-7
6 “I said,‘You are “gods”;
you are all sons of the Most High.’
7 But you will die like mere mortals;
you will fall like every other ruler.”
"..and yet - Jesus never called himself "God", but you believe that."

If I could understand what you are trying to say I would respond....

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
God said over and over that Christ is His Son....any erroneous interpretation of Scripture that alludes to the opposite, shows a fallible Bible...which is impossible...His Sacred Word is infallible...
Emmanouhl Emmanouel, em-man-oo-ale' of Hebrew origin (6005); God with us; Emmanuel, a name of Christ:--Emmanuel.
Note: Emmanuel, a name of Christ...
Oxbow

The Hebrew name Immanuel occurs twice in the Old Testament, both times in Isaiah, both in prophesies concerning the Messiah. In Isaiah 7:14, the prophet writes, "Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel." In 8:8 he writes, "...and the spread of [the Euphrates', see v 7] wings will fill the breadth of your land, O Immanuel."

Seven centuries later, Joseph finds Mary, his wife to be, with child and is understandably disgruntled. But an angel from God visits him in a dream and quotes Isaiah, saying that Joseph's little family is the target of a famous, seven hundred year old prophesy. The Child will be called Immanuel eventually, but for now he should be named Jesus (Matthew 1:19-25).

Where, in this context, exactly the name Jesus (=Joshua) came from is not immediately clear, but Immanuel is not the only name Isaiah pinned on the Messiah. In 9:6 he writes, "And his name will be called Palayaas (Wonderful Counselor), Elgebur (Mighty God), Abiad (Eternal Father), Sarshalom (Prince of Peace). Jesus, of course, became known by all those names.

The name Immanuel consists of two parts:

1a) The Hebrew preposition (im), meaning 'with'. It comes from the unused root ('mm) that also yields ('am), a people; (me'im), from or with; ('am), paternal kinsman; ('umma), against, beside (see the name Ammi).

1b) The nu-part in Immanu comes from the plural form in which the Im-part is put. The Hebrew language only very sparsely utilizes the verb 'to be,' and when it should be obvious that some form of that verb should be somewhere in the sentence, it's simply omitted. In English the plural goes to the pronoun ('with me' becomes 'with us'), and that makes the plural of the preposition 'with' impossible to translate literally. The word (im) means 'with me' and the word (immanu) means 'with us.'

2) The Hebrew word (El), the common abbreviation of the word Elohim, denoting the genus God.

Right after Isaiah names Immanuel for the second time (8:8), he says, "Devise a plan but it will be thwarted; state a proposal, but it will not stand, for God is with us" (v10). The Hebrew of the last two words of this sentence is ; an exact replica of the name Immanuel.

The name Immanuel means God (Is) With Us. However, we've already said that the verb 'to be' is usually omitted in Hebrew but actually something more nuanced is going on. Hebrew uses the verb 'to be' only when a behavior is specified that defines whatever is doing the behaving. In Hebrew a sentence like "the dog is outside" does not reflect a dog dozing in the shade, but a dog displaying behavior by which we recognize that it's a dog. Perhaps it's running after a squirrel and barking like there's no tomorrow; whatever, when the Hebrew says that the dog is, the dog is busy being a dog.

And that means that when God calls Himself I AM, He means that He's very busy doing His thing. The name Immanuel, however, lacks the verb to be, and denotes a passive presence of the Most High.

Immanuel means God Resides Among Us

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Constantine had no authority on Catholic teachings!!
Man, you think after 300 yrs of being killed and tortured by the Roman Empire; when 30 + Popes were slaughtered, that they would suddenly hand Constantine the keys? Heck no.
There is no evidence Constantine influenced Catholicism in such a way. None. The whole idea is made up by fanatics a couple hundred yrs ago. They have zero evidence..
You are dense.

Constantine authorized the Bible, in that he took so-called "Catholic" teachings and assembled a group of men, to decide which books were to be canon.

He Authorized the men of the time to put together a bible.

Your play on words is why you are ignorant of the facts.

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Constantine had no authority on Catholic teachings!!
And we go as far as, no man has the authority to decide what "God" is telling anyone to believe, especially if they themselves never were spoken to.

You Catholics are so arrogant all the time. Why?
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Ephesians 4:30
And do not bring sorrow to God's Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The Divine Person of Jesus Christ.
In your opinion how many divine persons are there?
It depends on what definition of divine is being considered:

divine [d&#618;&#712;va&# 618;n]
adj
1.(Christian Religious Writings / Theology) of, relating to, or characterizing God or a deity
2. godlike
3.(Christian Religious Writings / Theology) of, relating to, or associated with religion or worship the divine liturgy
4. of supreme excellence or worth
5. Informal splendid; perfect
n
1.(Christian Religious Writings / Theology)(often capital; preceded by the) another term for God
2.(Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) a priest, esp one learned in theology
vb
1. to perceive or understand (something) by intuition or insight
2. to conjecture (something); guess
3. to discern (a hidden or future reality) as though by supernatural power
4.(Mining & Quarrying)(tr) to search for (underground supplies of water, metal, etc.) using a divining rod
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
The present discussion has nothing to do with mass...
If no one, or everyone, uses the NABRE...it does not change the teaching of this pope approved Bible..
The fact remains that *you* are using it in an attempt to pass it off as the version used by the Church. It isn't. It isn't even used by most Catholics for private study.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
The saints referred to in the epistles are those who believed and accepted what the apostles taught and were part of the Church, and those who didnt't were not called saints nor part of the Church.
**yes and they were normal folks just like you and me.
I know I should answer a question with a question but I'll make an exception.
David Koresh read and taught the Bible...think he was really saved...me either.
Normal folks who believed and accepted what the apostles taught, and normal folks, who if they rejected it, were cast out of the Church and called heretics unless they repented.

"David Koresh read and taught the Bible...think he was really saved...me either."

My theology says no.

Your theology says he must be accpeted by you (and therefore God) as a Christian who is eternally saved.

Tell me how I'm wrong?
ReginaM

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't believe what is written.
http://www.catholicmemes.com/condescending-wo...

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
053 972 946 857
<quoted text>
I don't use the NABRE....I refer to it to show Catholics what they are not following that is being taught by their pope approved Bible...
I use the KJV....
Like I said, maybe you should use a bible that is more nearer to the events, instead of 1600 years later.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't believe what is written.
We do. We don't believe what you think the Word says.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

118 071
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxbow
The Hebrew name Immanuel occurs twice in the Old Testament, both times in Isaiah, both in prophesies concerning the Messiah. In Isaiah 7:14, the prophet writes, "Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel." In 8:8 he writes, "...and the spread of [the Euphrates', see v 7] wings will fill the breadth of your land, O Immanuel."
Seven centuries later, Joseph finds Mary, his wife to be, with child and is understandably disgruntled. But an angel from God visits him in a dream and quotes Isaiah, saying that Joseph's little family is the target of a famous, seven hundred year old prophesy. The Child will be called Immanuel eventually, but for now he should be named Jesus (Matthew 1:19-25).
Where, in this context, exactly the name Jesus (=Joshua) came from is not immediately clear, but Immanuel is not the only name Isaiah pinned on the Messiah. In 9:6 he writes, "And his name will be called Palayaas (Wonderful Counselor), Elgebur (Mighty God), Abiad (Eternal Father), Sarshalom (Prince of Peace). Jesus, of course, became known by all those names.
The name Immanuel consists of two parts:
1a) The Hebrew preposition (im), meaning 'with'. It comes from the unused root ('mm) that also yields ('am), a people; (me'im), from or with; ('am), paternal kinsman; ('umma), against, beside (see the name Ammi).
1b) The nu-part in Immanu comes from the plural form in which the Im-part is put. The Hebrew language only very sparsely utilizes the verb 'to be,' and when it should be obvious that some form of that verb should be somewhere in the sentence, it's simply omitted. In English the plural goes to the pronoun ('with me' becomes 'with us'), and that makes the plural of the preposition 'with' impossible to translate literally. The word (im) means 'with me' and the word (immanu) means 'with us.'
2) The Hebrew word (El), the common abbreviation of the word Elohim, denoting the genus God.
Right after Isaiah names Immanuel for the second time (8:8), he says, "Devise a plan but it will be thwarted; state a proposal, but it will not stand, for God is with us" (v10). The Hebrew of the last two words of this sentence is ; an exact replica of the name Immanuel.
The name Immanuel means God (Is) With Us. However, we've already said that the verb 'to be' is usually omitted in Hebrew but actually something more nuanced is going on. Hebrew uses the verb 'to be' only when a behavior is specified that defines whatever is doing the behaving. In Hebrew a sentence like "the dog is outside" does not reflect a dog dozing in the shade, but a dog displaying behavior by which we recognize that it's a dog. Perhaps it's running after a squirrel and barking like there's no tomorrow; whatever, when the Hebrew says that the dog is, the dog is busy being a dog.
And that means that when God calls Himself I AM, He means that He's very busy doing His thing. The name Immanuel, however, lacks the verb to be, and denotes a passive presence of the Most High.
Immanuel means God Resides Among Us
That does not change the fact: Note: Emmanuel, a name of Christ

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe Jesus is divine?
Do you believe in what Jesus said?

“OneLordOneFaithE ph4:5”

Since: Apr 08

Saint John Paul II Pray forUS.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's more sad than funny...
Christ is in Heaven seated at the right hand of the Father and not in a bowl at the local catholic church.
Jesus said
“ I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."

John 6:51
http://bible.cc/john/6-51.htm
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends on what definition of divine is being considered:
divine [d&#618;&#712;va&# 618;n]
adj
1.(Christian Religious Writings / Theology) of, relating to, or characterizing God or a deity
2. godlike
3.(Christian Religious Writings / Theology) of, relating to, or associated with religion or worship the divine liturgy
4. of supreme excellence or worth
5. Informal splendid; perfect
n
1.(Christian Religious Writings / Theology)(often capital; preceded by the) another term for God
2.(Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) a priest, esp one learned in theology
vb
1. to perceive or understand (something) by intuition or insight
2. to conjecture (something); guess
3. to discern (a hidden or future reality) as though by supernatural power
4.(Mining & Quarrying)(tr) to search for (underground supplies of water, metal, etc.) using a divining rod
Let's keep it simple.

"1.(Christian Religious Writings / Theology) of, relating to, or characterizing God or a deity."

How many divine entities are there?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

123 102
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact remains that *you* are using it in an attempt to pass it off as the version used by the Church. It isn't. It isn't even used by most Catholics for private study.
You have no way of knowing how many, if any, Catholics use this Bible.

It is pope approved...are you saying the pope does not speak for the church?????
Chuck

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Normal folks who believed and accepted what the apostles taught, and normal folks, who if they rejected it, were cast out of the Church and called heretics unless they repented.
"David Koresh read and taught the Bible...think he was really saved...me either."
My theology says no.
Your theology says he must be accpeted by you (and therefore God) as a Christian who is eternally saved.
Tell me how I'm wrong?
**yeah just what I said...normal folks like you and me.

Tell me how I'm wrong?
**you're a catholic

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Mt 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
Does that mean that a man and woman whom God has joined together are the same person????!!!!! Is that person the man...or is that person the woman???!!!!
Spirit.

Self.

Why do you think "Paul" was more enlightened than Jesus?

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Mt 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
Does that mean that a man and woman whom God has joined together are the same person????!!!!! Is that person the man...or is that person the woman???!!!!
Oxbow

The joining is the marriage. Marriage (syzeúgnymi) is for two to be commonly yoked together. They share in common a common yoke of marriage.

I really am wondering what sort of understanding you have of the Bible? Are you coming from a point of not knowing anything, or has someone taught you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

128 053 972 946 857
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, maybe you should use a bible that is more nearer to the events, instead of 1600 years later.
And what bible is that?????

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 401,921 - 401,940 of529,852
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••