Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 554,979
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Dan

Omaha, NE

#415585 Jan 14, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus didn't pray to Mary or any other saint dead or alive.He prayed to the Father.
Mary takes nothing away from Jesus is true, the catholic Church does.
Jesus was God. He certainly didn't require intercession.

How does the veneration of Mary diminish Christ (as if anyone or anything could)?
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#415587 Jan 14, 2013
Aviela wrote:
<quoted text> Sorry buddy 3 does not equal 1. You keep saying father this and son that but you believe they are the same person. Now who's who confused?
God sent God down to impregnate Mary so she could give birth to God, so God would some how orchestrate his own death so he could die as God and return to heaven to be with God.

Pagan beliefs also had their trinities. Triune God in christianity is just THEIR version of what others believed in the past.

MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#415589 Jan 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
How does the veneration of Mary diminish Christ (as if anyone or anything could)?
You were taught and believe that 3 persons in one God are all equal, yet its obvious that God the father makes all the decisions for the other 2 persons of God.

....So much for equality......
LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#415588 Jan 14, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
1 Peter 1:1-2
1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,
To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia,
2 who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of [[[God the Father,]]] through the sanctifying [[[work of the Spirit,]]] to be [[[obedient to Jesus Christ]]] and sprinkled with his blood:
Grace and peace be yours in abundance.
God the Father
Work of the Holy Spirit
Obedient to Jesus Christ
The Apostle Peter begins to give us (Christians) a unique view of the trinity, the Father, Spirit and Son.
Truth; Its sad, that one man mixed people up like this but then that is all it takes.
Look at Waco, and Jim Jones.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#415590 Jan 14, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
You were taught and believe that 3 persons in one God are all equal, yet its obvious that God the father makes all the decisions for the other 2 persons of God.
....So much for equality......
Um, yeah, I believe in the Holy Trinity.

Is this now controversial?
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#415591 Jan 14, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>guest first brought up the word "sop", and since I was eating some bean soup and since this is how we do it, grab a piece of corn bread, dip it in the beans and go to town, and if you drop the bread in the beans, not a biggie. use your own method to get it out. since I am civilized, I get it out the best way I can.
another piece of bread works, but a spoon is the easiest.
the point was, that even tho this word "sop" was centuries old, the practice is still the same as it was back at the Lords Supper.
I don't think they had spoons, bean soup, corn bread and shirt pockets 2,000 years ago.

I'm just saying!

MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#415592 Jan 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sheesh.
Go the agnostic boards and swap spit with them.
I'll even tell them you're the most well-informed, rational smiter of the faithful ever and that if he could, Ingersoll himself would come out of his grave so you two could hit his old lecture circuit together.
Better?
If it was just catholics discussing dusty old stories from ancient people 2,000 years ago, this forum would have ended. 415,000 posts and 5 years ago.

Be lucky that so called non-catholics bring much to the discussions, or none of us would be here today.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#415593 Jan 14, 2013
MICHAEL wrote:
<quoted text>
If it was just catholics discussing dusty old stories from ancient people 2,000 years ago, this forum would have ended. 415,000 posts and 5 years ago.
Be lucky that so called non-catholics bring much to the discussions, or none of us would be here today.
Pat's hung on past his time. He could use a break.

He's just pasting quotes from famous agnostics and calling everyone "lair" (his spelling, not mine).
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#415594 Jan 14, 2013
Aviela wrote:
<quoted text> Sorry buddy 3 does not equal 1. You keep saying father this and son that but you believe they are the same person. Now who's who confused?
I figured this would go right over your head, and it did....

No surprise there!!!
LTM

#415595 Jan 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Maryism(not real name) is an old pagan religion Dan, some thought all forgotten but its not.
But its been resurracted Pope John II being one of its followers and who knows how many before him.
Since the 1950's the catholic Church has exalted her to a new level of worship.
Look around the world Dan and tell me people are not worshipping her they carry her through the streets and adore her with flowers gems and other perious stones, gold etc. Bowing and kissing her feet crying ripping at their clothes , if that isn't worship what would you call it. "Its Idol worship"
The wafers that the catholic Church claimm turns to the flesh of Jesus was made for the sungodess which has different names all depends on the language. Look at the imprint on them and tell me what you see on it.
Catholic better wake up soon or its going to be to late
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#415596 Jan 14, 2013
Aviela wrote:
<quoted text> Does this make sense?.....Nope!...Let's take you back to basics. Like Adam and Eve. Do you know who they are?
Quite true that you need to go back to Bible 101...
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#415597 Jan 14, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus didn't pray to Mary or any other saint dead or alive.He prayed to the Father.
Mary takes nothing away from Jesus is true, the catholic Church does.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/standingonmyhead...

If an Evangelical Christian believes that devotion to Mary replaces proper devotion to Jesus ask him to imagine what it would be like if he discovered that another Christian group thought Evangelicals were in grave error because of their emphasis on the Bible. Ask him to imagine that these fictional Christians accuse Evangelicals of neglecting Jesus because of their devotion to the Bible.

These hypothetical Christians say,“You evangelicals stress the Bible to the neglect of Jesus. You call your churches ‘Bible’ churches and have ’Bible’ colleges instead of ‘Christian’ churches and colleges. Inside your church you don’t have pictures of Jesus, you don’t have any crucifixes; and you don’t have the Stations of the Cross. Instead, all you have is a big central pulpit to preach the Bible.”

The accusers could go on and point out that “The New Testament says the early Christians ‘devoted themselves … to the breaking of the bread’(Acts 2:42) and that the way to remember Jesus and proclaim his death is through the Eucharist (1 Cor. 11:24-26); yet you Evangelicals have the Lord’s Supper once a month, or even less often, and the main feature of your church service is a long Bible sermon. You have removed the cross of Christ and replaced it with the Bible.”

These accusers say,“You Evangelicals even have a formal doctrine named sola Scriptura. This man-made dogma is a later distortion and addition to the Christian faith—something that is unheard of both in the Scriptures themselves and in the early church. This dogma (which you treat as infallible) states that the Bible and not Jesus is the only source of Truth. You teach your children to memorize Bible verses instead of receiving Jesus in communion. You teach them to sing,‘The B-I-B-L-E,/ Yes that‘s the book for me./ I stand alone on the word of God….’ Notice how they are not to stand alone on the sure foundation of Jesus Christ (1 Cor. 3:11), but on the Bible instead! Evangelical preachers say that there is no way anyone can come to God without believing the Bible. They declare their undying love for the Bible instead of Jesus. They say how their lives are totally dedicated to preaching the Bible instead of the cross of Christ.”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#415598 Jan 14, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't over-worry yourself about it, you aren't.
There are many so-called "Christians" on this forum, who like to make up things about others, "God", and who knows who else.
Shoot - they can't even be honest enough to admit that they only follow a portion of Jesus' teachings.
BTW - you won't receive any viable answer to your question, so just move on past it.
I've yet to still receive an answer on why I am "the spawn of the devil".
Ya see - illogical at best, but not to the one who is misguided by the lies of Christianity.
Cheers!
NASL

lol Somebody called you "the spawn of the devil"?

Is that as bad as being "unenlightened"? lol
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#415599 Jan 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, yeah, I believe in the Holy Trinity.
Is this now controversial?
...There are very few actual customs/traditions and elements of christianity that weren't part of former beliefs. Most christians are not aware of this.

...The core belief of christinianity the worship of a walking talking God/man who brings or offers eternal salvation to those that believe in him, was also the core belief, of other ancient religions that started more than 1,000 years before Jesus arrived.

...Trinity, prophecy, demon possession, concepts of heaven and hell, baptism, communion with God through a Holy meal, animal and human sacrifice, the promise of eternal salvation, man/god dying and returning..........all elements and part of the ancient mediteranean culture, taught centuries before the Jesus story.

... As a young catholic growing up I was taught and believed all of what christianity taught was UNIQUE. Its obvious we were wrong!
Free MInd

Melbourne, FL

#415600 Jan 14, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Free Mind
Paul extended his time on earth by declaring diplomatic immunity from the Jews in Jerusalem, by being a Roman citizen.
Therefore, diplomatic immunity can be used....
Your statement is a strawman of course. The RCC does not claim diplomatic immunity for the priests. Rather it seeks to protect its priests as it does for everyone living in these times of rampant crime in the world, oppressive nationalistic fervor, and unreasoned ignorance.
Robert good buddy...

Read your own words. You ran away.

1.. In no way was Paul under any type of diplomatic immunity. That's just plain silly. It's called civil law.

2... It is absurd to say the RCC somehow seeks to protect its priests. From what? From testifying under oath in a Court of Law.

3... "Everyone living in these times" are not charged with child sex-abuse, including abuse at orphanages on at least three continents, and international money laundering.

These are the exact purposes for which the RCC uses Diplomatic Immunity. Do you really equate Paul's situation with this?

You had nowhere to go, so you went off the deep end. Strawman?

Ireland...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/diplomat...

More...

http://www.examiner.com/article/catholic-chur...

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/epi...

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/27593

-- all to avoid accountability and justice.

QUESTION: How can you equate any of Paul's actions with this?
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#415601 Jan 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Pat's hung on past his time. He could use a break.
He's just pasting quotes from famous agnostics and calling everyone "lair" (his spelling, not mine).
You have to roll with it.

How many months, day after day did Preston/Attemcowboy call gif and kaymarie...... Mr. Fraud and Liars!(lairs)

Most catholic posters on this forum at one time or other have also called posters liars, or insulted them with name calling.

Everyone has an opinion. If we didn't this tent would have folded long ago.

Free MInd

Melbourne, FL

#415602 Jan 14, 2013
I love how Catholics defend the RCC on diplomatic immunity.

"In December 2002, Cardinal Law was forced to resign in disgrace as Archbishop of Boston because of his role in covering up clerical sex abuse. When it became clear that he might have to answer for this in the American courts, the Vatican shipped him to Rome, where he could hide behind its immunity as a sovereign state."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/diplomat...

The RCC has also used diplomatic immunity to avoid testifying in court cases involving:

1.... orphanages

2.... schools for the deaf

3.... bank money laundering for the mafia

Isn't it great that Jesus gave the RCC diplomatic immunity!

Catholics can be very proud and proclaim -- ONLY TRUE CHURCH OF JESUS!
LTM

#415603 Jan 14, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
NASL
lol Somebody called you "the spawn of the devil"?
Is that as bad as being "unenlightened"? lol
Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them:...

Acts 19:26 Moreover ye see and hear, that not alone at Ephesus, but almost throughout all Asia, this Paul hath persuaded and turned away much people, saying that they be no gods, which are made with hands:

Note that the commandment of God forbids making and bowing down to images. Among pagans, perhaps the most common form of idolatry is sun worship, and the above prohibition would clearly exclude bowing down before images of the sun or moon (things in the heaven above). But then God gets even more explicit:

Deu 17:2 If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant,
Deu 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded;
Deu 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and inquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel:
Deu 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

Jer 8:1 At that time, saith the LORD, they shall bring out the bones of the kings of Judah, and the bones of his princes, and the bones of the priests, and the bones of the prophets, and the bones of the inhabitants of Jerusalem, out of their graves:
Jer 8:2 And they shall spread them before the sun, and the moon, and all the host of heaven, whom they have loved, and whom they have served, and after whom they have walked, and whom they have sought, and whom they have worshipped: they shall not be gathered, nor be buried; they shall be for dung upon the face of the earth.
Jer 8:3 And death shall be chosen rather than life by all the residue of them that remain of this evil family, which remain in all the places whither I have driven them, saith the LORD of hosts.

With that in mind, lets look at solar and lunar images directly associated with the Catholic Mass.

Pope John Paul II eold what is called a Monstrance or Ostensorium. It is used to display a round wafer of bread, called the host, which is used in what is called the Mass, Lord's Supper, Communion or Eucharistic meal. The Catholic believes this wafer of bread turns into the actual body of Christ when consecrated during the Mass.
From the "Be Not Afraid" series of videos, Copyright © 1992,
Apostolate for Family Consecration

The Roman Catholic Church even admits the Monstrance to be a sunburst:

"During the baroque period, it took on a rayed form of a sun-monstrance with a circular window surrounded by a silver or gold frame with rays."
MICHAEL

Hamilton, Canada

#415604 Jan 14, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Maryism(not real name) is an old pagan religion Dan, some thought all forgotten but its not.
But its been resurracted Pope John II being one of its followers and who knows how many before him.
Look around the world Dan and tell me people are not worshipping her they carry her through the streets and adore her with flowers gems and other perious stones, gold etc. Bowing and kissing her feet crying ripping at their clothes , if that isn't worship what would you call it. "Its Idol worship"
The wafers that the catholic Church claimm turns to the flesh of Jesus was made for the sungodess which has different names all depends on the language. Look at the imprint on them and tell me what you see on it.
YIKES!
Dan

Omaha, NE

#415605 Jan 14, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd love to read of Pope Benedict's actions on revival of this pagan religion. What a multitasker! If I were Pope, it'd be all I could do in a day just to shepherd the Catholic Church. I'd like to have his energy! Throw us a citation or a credible source for this news, LTM.

No worries on the communion wafers, LTM-it was actually Jesus Christ who told us that it's His flesh, so we're good there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Gentleman. 15 min QUITTNER Nov27 2014 1
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 13 hr Crazy 8,633
Selfies with Pope Francis cardboard cutouts pop... Tue pazuzu 9
20 years after collapse of communism, the pope ... (Sep '09) Tue God worships Sin ... 2
Man who sold fake immunity papers gets 3 A1 2 y... Mon Economist 1
Bagnasco controversy over sacrament comments as... Nov 23 RevKen 1
Bagnasco 'agrees with pope' Nov 23 RevKen 2

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE