Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 560,438
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
ReginaM

Jackson, NJ

#412377 Dec 30, 2012
Daily Mass Readings for: December 30, 2012
(Readings on USCCB website)

Collect: O God, who were pleased to give us the shining example of the Holy Family, graciously grant that we may imitate them in practicing the virtues of family life and in the bonds of charity, and so, in the joy of your house, delight one day in eternal rewards. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.
Dust Storm

Pennock, MN

#412378 Dec 30, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Archbishop John Ireland of the Twin Cities in the 19th century into the 20th included African Americans in every way possible. Including hiring them along with Irish immigrants to build the Cathedral.
I don't doubt that a bishop somewhere in the South around the late 19th century was a racist.
His views would have been contrary to Catholicism. Its also a shame people like you let it a few bad apples taint the 1 billion member Church and her perfect teachings. I understand you need to do this. How else can you be anti Catholic then to be ignorant?
Some people forget that Christianity did not originate in Europe and even express surprise when they learn that Black Catholic History began in the Acts of the Apostles (8: 26-40) with the conversion of the Ethiopian Eunuch by Philip the Deacon. This text is important for several reasons. First, it chronicles the conversion of the first Black African in recorded Christian history. Second, the text suggests that the man was a wealthy, literate, and powerful emissary of the Nubian Queen and also a faithful, practicing Jew prior to his baptism. Clearly, he was not an ignorant heathen. Third, the Ethiopian Eunuch's conversion predates the conversions of Saints Paul and Cornelius. Most significantly, many cite this conversion as the very moment when the church changed from a Hebrew and Hellenist community to the truly Universal and Catholic Church.

Black Catholics trace their faith history back to Christian antiquity long before other nations heard the "Good News." Christian Africa was indeed a "leading light" in early Christendom. Black Catholics point to three popes who were born in Africa: Saints Victor I, Melchiades, and Gelasius I. All three shepherded the early church through tough and tumultuous times in history. Black Catholics claim many Black Saints like Saints Cyprian, Zeno, Anthony of Egypt, Moses the Black, Pachomius, Maurice, Athanasius, Pisentius, Mary of Egypt, Cyril of Alexandria, Monica of Hippo, Augustine of Hippo, Perpetua, Felicitas, and Thecla. Some of these mystics, monastics, ands, martyrs literally made the church what it is today.

Not many people know that King Nzinga-a-Nkuwu Mbemba (Afonso the Good) of the Kongo and his subjects made their profession of faith thanks to the work of Portuguese missionaries one year before Christopher Columbus made his famous voyage in 1492, or that Pope Leo X consecrated the king's son, Henrique, Titular Bishop of Utica in 1518 which was one year before Martin Luther nailed his list of ninety-five theses to the Church in Wittenberg. Bishop Henrique was the first native bishop of West Africa. However, he died in 1531. The Congolese Church and the hopes for an indigenous clergy died with him. Finally, the genocidal slave trade killed true evangelization in sub-Saharan Africa for several centuries.

Notwithstanding the moral crimes of chattel slavery, the French and Spanish missionaries ministered to their free and enslaved African population within their respective colonies. This ministry laid the foundation for Black Catholic communities within the United States, i.e. Mobile, Alabama; New Orleans, Louisiana; and Saint Augustine, Florida. It is important to note that many African-American Catholics cherish a certain Peruvian Dominican, Saint Martin de Porres, the only Black Saint from the Western Hemisphere to date.

http://www.nbccongress.org/features/history_h...

Since: Nov 08

usa

#412379 Dec 30, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people throw the Paganism accusation at the Church out of paranoia. Others throw it out of ignorance. Ironically , they do it while wearing a wedding ring (wedding rings are of Pagan origin)
The fact is: Catholics worship The One True God of Abraham and Jesus Christ - savior of the world. It really don't matter what we are wearing. God is not particularly picky about fashion.
Our Priests wear robes during the Mass. Do you also have a problem with Jewish Rabbis who wear similar attire?
i have no problem with what they wear,but they should be honest about it,and the church is not,just about every tradition has it's roots from pagan religion,and they won't admit that,they choose to lie and claim they are the true church through apostolic succession which is also a lie,i have shown it does not exist.all i'd like to see is the church come forward and be truthful and that will never happen,why? because of their true god "MONEY".
Clay

United States

#412380 Dec 30, 2012
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>i have no problem with what they wear,but they should be honest about it,and the church is not,just about every tradition has it's roots from pagan religion,and they won't admit that,they choose to lie and claim they are the true church through apostolic succession which is also a lie,i have shown it does not exist.all i'd like to see is the church come forward and be truthful and that will never happen,why? because of their true god "MONEY".
Wait second...are you saying you have shown the CC is not the true Church through Apostolic succession?
How on Earth did you do that?
I'm going to guess you did it by slander, propaganda and ignorance. The three virtues of Protestantism.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#412381 Dec 30, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
<quoted text>31Dec12.....
.....ListenUP you schidt-for-brains....
Ps: People who comtemplate to commit murder and people who actually carry out the Mortal Sin of murder/killing are NOT Christians let alone Roman Catholic.
A whole lotta eeejits like you 'still' argue dat Hitler was a Roman Catholic when the Truth of the matter is that Hitler stopped practicing his Faith when he was about aged 20.
For Christ's sake, don't these people unnerstan dat Hitler began to have burned Jewish Synagogues and Catholic Churches when he became Chancellor in 1933. The Church building he kept, he used them as offices for his Nazi henchmen and/or barracks. Its all there in da History Books. Not dat long ago.
So you take your envy and jealousy towards the Roman Catholics and shove 'em up yer arseHole where they belong...along with yer yead.
Merry Christmas. Phuck you berry much toooooooo.
Forever and Ever
BobLoblah
~~~

Ecc 12:10 The preacher sought to find out acceptable words: and that which was written was upright, even words of truth.

Ecc 12:11 The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails fastened by the masters of assemblies, which are given from one shepherd.

Ecc 12:12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Ecc 12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

You speak of forever and ever...so evidently you believe in eternity...

JUST WHERE DO YOU PLAN TO SPEND IT...
Free Mind

Pinellas Park, FL

#412382 Dec 30, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait second...are you saying you have shown the CC is not the true Church through Apostolic succession?
I'm going to guess you did it by slander, propaganda and ignorance. The three virtues of Protestantism.
He showed how Apostolic and Papal Succession was often based on nepotism and bribery. The chair was bought and sold.

You and the RCC insist that Jesus honors such bribery and nepotism.

Most humans have a higher opinion of Jesus. Most humans reject that a notion.
Clay

United States

#412383 Dec 30, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
He showed how Apostolic and Papal Succession was often based on nepotism and bribery. The chair was bought and sold.
You and the RCC insist that Jesus honors such bribery and nepotism.
Most humans have a higher opinion of Jesus. Most humans reject that a notion.
"you and The RCC insist that Jesus honors such bribery and neopotism"

Huh? Not that you'd really care if you bore false witness.... but you ARE bearing false witness.

What you said is nonsense .. Apostolic succession has nothing to do with how morally stout a Pope was or is.
We never claimed that, so its really weird you would be citing such a demand ..everyday for if last two yrs.
You been exposed for what you really are Free.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#412384 Dec 30, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Archbishop John Ireland of the Twin Cities in the 19th century into the 20th included African Americans in every way possible. Including hiring them along with Irish immigrants to build the Cathedral.
I don't doubt that a bishop somewhere in the South around the late 19th century was a racist.
His views would have been contrary to Catholicism. Its also a shame people like you let it a few bad apples taint the 1 billion member Church and her perfect teachings. I understand you need to do this. How else can you be anti Catholic then to be ignorant?
Your attempt at skewing the data is noted. I am not talking about the billions of church members, I am talking about the leadership of the church.

Also, you pull out one person who does something that seems good, to over shallow the thousands of evil leaders. The only labor cheaper than the Irish, at the time, was the Asians and the blacks! That may have played a big part in John Ireland's decision.
ReginaM

Jackson, NJ

#412385 Dec 30, 2012
The devotion to the Holy Family was born in Bethlehem, together with the Baby Jesus. The shepherds went to adore the Child and, at the same time, they gave honor to His family. Later, in a similar way, the three wise men came from the East to adore and give honor to the newborn King with gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh that would be safeguarded by His family.

We can go further to affirm that in a certain sense Christ, Himself, was the first devotee of His family. He showed His devotion to His mother and foster father by submitting Himself, with infinite humility, to the duty of filial obedience towards them. This is what St Bernard of Clairvaux said in this regard,‘God, to whom angels submit themselves and who principalities and powers obey, was subject to Mary; and not only to Mary but Joseph also for Mary’s sake [….]. God obeyed a human creature; this is humility without precedent. A human creature commands God; it is sublime beyond measure.’(First Homily on the ‘Missus Est’).
http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturg...
Free Mind

Pinellas Park, FL

#412386 Dec 30, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
"you and The RCC insist that Jesus honors such bribery and neopotism"
Huh? Not that you'd really care if you bore false witness.... but you ARE bearing false witness.
What you said is nonsense .. Apostolic succession has nothing to do with how morally stout a Pope was or is.
We never claimed that, so its really weird you would be citing such a demand ..everyday for if last two yrs.
You been exposed for what you really are Free.
Yes, the RCC claims that Jesus honors bribery and nepotism.

But whining and claiming I lie doesn't change very simple facts.

1... The RCC claims the election of the Pope is guided by Jesus.

Therefore, you say Jesus OK's bribery and nepotism.

2... Apostolic succession is the method whereby the ministry of the Catholic Church is held to be derived from the apostles by a continuous succession.

Thus, you say that Jesus has no standards for this ministry. Again, bribery and nepotism are OK with Jesus. You even claim Jesus would tolerate child abuse within this ministry.

That's sick.

Why do you claim Jesus has such low standards?
LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#412387 Dec 30, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Jethro lives in his own little world. He would have made a good Fundie. Too bad he doesn't believe in God.
(And now he's trying to interpret scripture, lol!)
Doesn't that make you feel ashamed Regina, that Jethro knows the Holy Scripture and interprets it better then you and the other catholic's on here. You lay claim to the Bible being a catholic book yet are so illitate of the teachings of Jesus. Regina you are being taught by people who don't know either, or if they do they are hiding it from you.
To get a full understanding of who Jesus was and is you must read the Bible in full, cover to cover, and more then once.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#412388 Dec 30, 2012
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people forget that Christianity did not originate in Europe and even express surprise when they learn that Black Catholic History began in the Acts of the Apostles (8: 26-40) with the conversion of the Ethiopian Eunuch by Philip the Deacon.
Who are these people that you speak of? Anyone who has read the bible, knew that the writers of the bible had no problem with blacks! Of course, the Jews were not supposed to marry them, but if they were convinced that they converted, then it would be OK.

It is the mostly Northern Europeans and White America who thought that blacks were less than human.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#412389 Dec 30, 2012
Free Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the RCC claims that Jesus honors bribery and nepotism.
But whining and claiming I lie doesn't change very simple facts.
1... The RCC claims the election of the Pope is guided by Jesus.
Therefore, you say Jesus OK's bribery and nepotism.
2... Apostolic succession is the method whereby the ministry of the Catholic Church is held to be derived from the apostles by a continuous succession.
Thus, you say that Jesus has no standards for this ministry. Again, bribery and nepotism are OK with Jesus. You even claim Jesus would tolerate child abuse within this ministry.
That's sick.
Why do you claim Jesus has such low standards?
I've seen people take the time and explain the Churchs position to you, over and over and over.

A Catholic Priest took the time to answer your embarrassingly stupid questions. Every Catholic on here sets you straight everyday.

For what? It does no good. You know what our answer will be. You know by now what the Church ACTUALLY believes and teaches. You only exist on here because you practice slander and preach propaganda.
Your mind is free alright...free of important brain matter.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#412390 Dec 30, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~

Please give Chapter and Verse for THE alleged APOSTOLIC SUCCESSION..

From what I understand ...It was supposed to have started with the

Apostle Peter..

Since Peter was not of the tribe of Levi and apparently not of the

tribe of Judah ( a descendent of David)... JUST WHERE WOULD HE FIT IN

THE USURPATION OF THE DYNASTY OF David...BY THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH

PETER BEING A JEW AND THE REST OF THE POPES GENTILES...?

IT JUST DOES NOT WASH...

JAMES THE BROTHER OF JESUS WOULD HAVE BEEN NEXT IN LINE TO THE THRONE OF DAVID.....since he was King Davids descendent...

( JESUS WAS CALLED THE SON OF DAVID)

THE PAPAL SUCCESSORS THEN...WOULD HAVE HAD TO HAVE BEEN JEWS...

AND DESCENDENTS OF DAVID...TO ESTABLISH THE PHYSICAL DYNASTY IN Jerusalem...NOT ROME ITALY.

THE SPIRITUAL THRONE OF DAVID THROUGH JESUS CHRIST IS NOT AN EARTHLY DYNASTY..

IT IS A SPIRITUAL KINGDOM ESTABLISHED IN THE HEARTS OF ALL BELIEVERS IN JESUS CHRIST ..THAT HE IS THE SON OF GOD .

JESUS OWN WORDS WERE...

Joh_18:36 Jesus answered,

==> My kingdom is not of this world: <==

if my kingdom were of this world,
then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

WHY DO YOU AND THE REST OF THE ROMAN CATHOLICS WORK SO

FEVERISHLY TO MAKE JESUS OUT TO BE A LIAR??

ACCORDING TO JESUS ...HERE.. ANY PHYSICAL KINGDOM ESTABLISHED UPON THE EARTH...IS BOGUS..

If you are the servants of JESUS CHRIST..why do you fight for Rome
(that ultimately crucified Him)

instead fighting the good fight of faith, for the SPIRITUAL KINGDOM OF GOD.

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#412391 Dec 30, 2012
ReginaM wrote:
Scripture tells us practically nothing about the first years and the boyhood of the Child Jesus. All we know are the facts of the sojourn in Egypt, the return to Nazareth, and the incidents that occurred when the twelve-year-old boy accompanied his parents to Jerusalem. In her liturgy the Church hurries over this period of Christ's life with equal brevity. The general breakdown of the family, however, at the end of the past century and at the beginning of our own, prompted the popes, especially the far-sighted Leo XIII, to promote the observance of this feast with the hope that it might instill into Christian families something of the faithful love and the devoted attachment that characterize the family of Nazareth. The primary purpose of the Church in instituting and promoting this feast is to present the Holy Family as the model and exemplar of all Christian families.
— Excerpted from With Christ Through the Year, Rev. Bernard Strasser, O.S.B.
http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturg...
Regina, even though we believe differently, I admire your faithful devotion to your church. I think you're a very good person. Happy holidays!
Clay

United States

#412392 Dec 30, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
I'll tell you what. You give me chapter and verse that says the books of the New Testament are all that's revealed about Jesus and His teaching.
fool.
Clay

United States

#412393 Dec 30, 2012
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
From what I understand ...It was supposed to have started with the
Apostle Peter..
Since Peter was not of the tribe of Levi and apparently not of the
tribe of Judah ( a descendent of David)... JUST WHERE WOULD HE FIT IN
THE USURPATION OF THE DYNASTY OF David...BY THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
PETER BEING A JEW AND THE REST OF THE POPES GENTILES...?
IT JUST DOES NOT WASH...
JAMES THE BROTHER OF JESUS WOULD HAVE BEEN NEXT IN LINE TO THE THRONE OF DAVID.....since he was King Davids descendent...
( JESUS WAS CALLED THE SON OF DAVID)
THE PAPAL SUCCESSORS THEN...WOULD HAVE HAD TO HAVE BEEN JEWS...
AND DESCENDENTS OF DAVID...TO ESTABLISH THE PHYSICAL DYNASTY IN Jerusalem...NOT ROME ITALY.
THE SPIRITUAL THRONE OF DAVID THROUGH JESUS CHRIST IS NOT AN EARTHLY DYNASTY..
IT IS A SPIRITUAL KINGDOM ESTABLISHED IN THE HEARTS OF ALL BELIEVERS IN JESUS CHRIST ..THAT HE IS THE SON OF GOD .
JESUS OWN WORDS WERE...
Joh_18:36 Jesus answered,
==> My kingdom is not of this world: <==
if my kingdom were of this world,
then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
WHY DO YOU AND THE REST OF THE ROMAN CATHOLICS WORK SO
FEVERISHLY TO MAKE JESUS OUT TO BE A LIAR??
ACCORDING TO JESUS ...HERE.. ANY PHYSICAL KINGDOM ESTABLISHED UPON THE EARTH...IS BOGUS..
If you are the servants of JESUS CHRIST..why do you fight for Rome
(that ultimately crucified Him)
instead fighting the good fight of faith, for the SPIRITUAL KINGDOM OF GOD.
I always wondered about your theory on the compilation of the Bible. How did it come to be?
When was it declared the only source of info on Christianity?
Exactly. Run away you coward. You have no answer. You probably ban computers from your compound so your congregation can't look up the truth either.
marge

Ames, IA

#412394 Dec 30, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll tell you what. You give me chapter and verse that says the books of the New Testament are all that's revealed about Jesus and His teaching.
fool.
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Its all one needs to be perfect, Clay, of course one needs to be reborn from above then we can follow the Word.
7th Day Catholics Rock

Poplar Bluff, MO

#412395 Dec 30, 2012
YAWN !!!!!
Free Mind

Pinellas Park, FL

#412396 Dec 30, 2012
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen people take the time and explain the Churchs position to you, over and over and over.
A Catholic Priest took the time to answer your embarrassingly stupid questions. Every Catholic on here sets you straight everyday.
For what? It does no good. You know what our answer will be. You know by now what the Church ACTUALLY believes and teaches. You only exist on here because you practice slander and preach propaganda.
Your mind is free alright...free of important brain matter.
So tell us exactly which of my points are not correct? Ummm?

Be specific. Are you saying Jesus has no role in the election of His earthly vicar?

Obviously, you cannot refute a single fact I present, so you call names and claim I "don't understand," blah, blah.

It's simple. I say Jesus has standards. You say Jesus has none.

You say Jesus would have allowed a child-abuser to remain as an Apostle. I say that's absurd.

What is there to understand, besides your whining and denial?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 3 hr Jesus saves 8,720
Pope challenges Muslims to condemn violence 8 hr QUITTNER Dec 26 2014 4
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Dec 23 USA Born 83,901
Pope's role in Cuba deal fractures Cuban-Americ... Dec 23 woodtick57 4
Cuba Deal Is Major Victory for Pope's Diplomati... Dec 22 John 4
Vatican signals new tone on US nuns Dec 21 Raymond F Rice 2
Pope plays key role in Cuba-US policy shift Dec 21 Doc Proper 12
More from around the web